It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tony Hawks*: Round Ireland with a Fridge

*) not Tony Hawk's
Hunger by Knut Hamsun. One of my favourite novels, it must be my fourth time reading it.
lowyhong: I LOVE Simon R Green's works. I haven't been disappointed by his Nightside novels, or The Man With the Golden Torc. Is this any good?
wwee: Yes - I like it. Like any Nightside books - fast pace, easy read with the usual cast of characters.

It continues directly from The Good, The Bad and The Uncanny so read that first if you haven't.
Yeah! I just finished The Good, The Bad and The Uncanny. Now if only I can get my hands on a copy of A Hard Day's Knight in the library. TGTBATU (cool acronym) is really, really good, and I can't wait to see what happens to John Taylor next.

Though I have to clear the Deathstalker series first. Right now I'm in the third book, Deathstalker War. Have you read the Deathstalker series? They're not Simon's best effort, and the fact that he wrote those first before the other stories shows in the writing style, but all things considered, they're very intelligent and intriguing. Book 1 spends too much time setting the stage; Book 2 focuses too much on the court intrigues; Book 3 is when things really start to pick up.

-edit- Oh crap, I read this on Wikipedia:
"After Just Another Judgement Day, Green has only three more books planned, which will bring an end to the series."

NOOOO SIMON Y U GOT TO END THE NIGHTSIDE SERIES!!!!

(truthfully, I enjoy the Secret Histories series more than the Nightside, and the Carnegie Institute stories also look to be bloody awesome, so it's not that big a loss if he decides to work on the other series. But yeah, it is the easiest thing in the world to proclaim as fact that John Taylor's the most badass dude of all of Green's creations)
Post edited March 01, 2012 by lowyhong
I'm currently reading through Ed Greenwood's Elminster series, just started on The Temptation of Elminster last night.
wwee: Yes - I like it. Like any Nightside books - fast pace, easy read with the usual cast of characters.

It continues directly from The Good, The Bad and The Uncanny so read that first if you haven't.
lowyhong: Yeah! I just finished The Good, The Bad and The Uncanny. Now if only I can get my hands on a copy of A Hard Day's Knight in the library. TGTBATU (cool acronym) is really, really good, and I can't wait to see what happens to John Taylor next.

Though I have to clear the Deathstalker series first. Right now I'm in the third book, Deathstalker War. Have you read the Deathstalker series? They're not Simon's best effort, and the fact that he wrote those first before the other stories shows in the writing style, but all things considered, they're very intelligent and intriguing. Book 1 spends too much time setting the stage; Book 2 focuses too much on the court intrigues; Book 3 is when things really start to pick up.

-edit- Oh crap, I read this on Wikipedia:
"After Just Another Judgement Day, Green has only three more books planned, which will bring an end to the series."

NOOOO SIMON Y U GOT TO END THE NIGHTSIDE SERIES!!!!

(truthfully, I enjoy the Secret Histories series more than the Nightside, and the Carnegie Institute stories also look to be bloody awesome, so it's not that big a loss if he decides to work on the other series. But yeah, it is the easiest thing in the world to proclaim as fact that John Taylor's the most badass dude of all of Green's creations)
Yeah - I read the Deathstalker series starting from Mistworld to Deathstalker's Destiny. I still have to finish Deathstalker Legacy, Deathstalker Return and Deathstalker Coda.

Last Simon Green book I read was For Heaven's Eyes Only and I really enjoy it. Damn cliffhanger ending - I need to find out what happens next...

Also just received Ghost of a smile in the mail last week so will probably be reading that next after I finish Jim Butchers Ghost Story (Dresden File 13). This is a really good series - start from book 1 - Storm Front. Highly recommended.
wwee: Also just received Ghost of a smile in the mail last week so will probably be reading that next after I finish Jim Butchers Ghost Story (Dresden File 13). This is a really good series - start from book 1 - Storm Front. Highly recommended.
We have so much in common! I love the Dresden series, and I think Ghost Story is Jim's best story yet. You should post in my Ghost Story thread, over here, so we can discuss more about the series lol.

I'm still looking for a copy of For Heaven's Eyes Only; of the first 4 Secret Histories books I read, The Spy Who Haunted Me is the best one IMO. The ending is so badass, it's nothing short of what I'd expect from Eddie Drood.
A Storm of Swords, book 3 of GOT.
House of Bush, House of Saud.
Undisputed: Chris Jericho
Digging For the Past: History Channel.
Necroscope series by Brian Lumley
Simons Becket crime series (starting from Chemistry of Death)

Awesome books.
DreadMoth: I'm currently reading through Ed Greenwood's Elminster series, just started on The Temptation of Elminster last night.
Ahh damn i need to try Forgotten Realms again.
I got kinda insulted with 15th Drizzt Do'urden stuff (first 10 books were fun, tho.....except Wulfgar and Cattie-bree parts) and really needed a break from that world.

I don't think i read Elminster series ....., is it Avatar Trilogy, or something else?
is it good?:)
Post edited March 01, 2012 by Artemis_E
Artemis_E: I don't think i read Elminster series ....., is it Avatar Trilogy, or something else?
is it good?:)
Ed Greenwood wrote a whole series of books focusing on Elminster... according to Wikipedia the events of the Avatar Trilogy take place sometime after The Temptation of Elminster and before the next Elminster novel(s).

As for whether they're good or not, they seem pretty decent so far. :)
wwee: Also just received Ghost of a smile in the mail last week so will probably be reading that next after I finish Jim Butchers Ghost Story (Dresden File 13). This is a really good series - start from book 1 - Storm Front. Highly recommended.
lowyhong: We have so much in common! I love the Dresden series, and I think Ghost Story is Jim's best story yet. You should post in my Ghost Story thread, over here, so we can discuss more about the series lol.

I'm still looking for a copy of For Heaven's Eyes Only; of the first 4 Secret Histories books I read, The Spy Who Haunted Me is the best one IMO. The ending is so badass, it's nothing short of what I'd expect from Eddie Drood.
Dudemanbro!
I just ordered the second box set (books 4-6) of the Dresden Files.
My thoughts so far:
Storm Front:: Pretttyyy good, not really chomping at the bit for the next one
Fool Moon:: Similar, maybe a little bit better than the first, a solid series
Grave Peril:: By the end: Holy shit this is a fun story, I want to know more about what happens to these characters GIVE ME BOOK 4 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
Post edited March 01, 2012 by Gibush
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
I wish Tolkien kept Bilbo as the main character, Frodo is annoying. Don't ask, just hate Frodo for some reason
Currentl Three Musketeers and Moby Dick.
A Game of Thrones.
Gibush: Grave Peril:: By the end: Holy shit this is a fun story, I want to know more about what happens to these characters GIVE ME BOOK 4 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
PYROFUEGO!!! BURN!!!!!!!
(yeah Grave Peril is really well-written, one of the reasons being it is humourous as hell. Reading about Dresden's costume at Bianca's party had me rolling on the floor for 5 minutes)

Anyway, so as not to digress from the thread, I just finished reading Simon Green's Drinking Midnight Wine too. Not particularly memorable, and leans too far on the cheesy side; it's also not as consistently written, compared to Nightside or Secret History. Nevertheless, it's still great fun if you like his style of writing.
The Divine Comedy, a 700 year old book by an Italian poet regarding Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and also using his writing as social commentary to get revenge on the people who ejected him and many others from his own city for religious difference. They still beg today for his grave to be moved back into the city.

And yes, I did say before I'm Atheist. Doesn't matter though, it's a wonderfully big book that shaped modern perception, regardless if people know it or not.