It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Susan Blackmore - The Meme Machine: an effort to create order in the chaos of the newly emerging science of memetics, about the second replicator that's driving our evolution: memes, inspired by the works of Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett. Very interesting (no English understatement of mine, just Dutch straightforwardness)

Barbara Tuchman - A distand mirror: The Calamitious 14th Century

Robert Stiphout - De bloedigste oorlog: Het vergeten bataljon Nederlandse militairen in Korea (The bloodiest war: the forgotten batallion of dutch militairies in Korea) - about the first Dutch battallion that was sent to Korea in 1951 as part of the UN-mission against the North-Korean invasion of Southern Korea.

Palmyre Oomen (red.) - Vrije wil: een hersenkronkel? (Free will: a figment of the mind?) - several philosophers and theologians about the implications of the findings of recent brain-research for the discussion about free will, what it is and what it can't be, due to the finds of Benjamin Libet and others that a decision to act is made by the brain before we become consciously aware of it. The view of the writers in this bundle, is that free will can't exist the way it is seen in folk psychology, but is compatible with the philosophical view of it that has been proposed for centuries.

finally two novels:

Sven Hassel - Regiment des Doods (Regiment of Death): a raw novel about the experiences of a german squad that gets to fight alongside a penal battalion on the Eastern Front in the Second World War.

Peter Daanen - De slag bij Niftrik (the battle of Niftrik): a youth novel about a travelling bard that gets involved in the battle between the duchies of Gelre and Brabant in the Dutch Middle Ages.
I'm about half way through Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right now. Really enjoying it.
Finished reading this edition of The Captain's Daughter by Alexander Pushkin, a collection of short stories and a novel (giving the book its title) about romantic stuff happening in the old rural Russia. Light prose, too much romantic stuff and stereotypical characters for my taste, 3/5.
Just finished Stephen King's Joyland and Under the Dome (much better than the TV series)

Right now I read some Lovecraft stories and graphic novels / mangas.
Just finished "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" by Haruki Murakami. One of the best books I've read in quite a while.
DieRuhe: Just finished "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" by Haruki Murakami. One of the best books I've read in quite a while.
What is it about?
Been a while since you posted this, but the thread head just resurfaced from the depth of time.

Dohogerse: I read Gone Girl about a week and half ago, read it in less than a day. Fun book. Loved the film. Now reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Brilliant. Next up either finishing The Wind Up Bird Chronicle or Inerent Vice.
American Gods is one of my favourite books, and I love almost everything by Murakami. I'm currently reading 1Q84 for the second time.
toxicTom: Been a while since you posted this, but the thread head just resurfaced from the depth of time.

Dohogerse: I read Gone Girl about a week and half ago, read it in less than a day. Fun book. Loved the film. Now reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Brilliant. Next up either finishing The Wind Up Bird Chronicle or Inerent Vice.
toxicTom: American Gods is one of my favourite books, and I love almost everything by Murakami. I'm currently reading 1Q84 for the second time.
Been busy a dropped the book need to pick it up again, but it is amazing so far. So much I want to read and so little time.
http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Life-Coming-Age-Cyberspace/dp/0465012361

Extra Life. It's been good so far. Just a coming-of-age story of a kid who loved video games, DnD and tried to grow up. It's well-written and his story is pretty good. Worth a read.
I'm reading the Dragonlance Legends trilogy. Almost finished book 2, "War of the Twins." Hopefully things pick up in the final book. It's written by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis.
DieRuhe: Just finished "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" by Haruki Murakami. One of the best books I've read in quite a while.
DubConqueror: What is it about?
I was afraid someone would ask that... :-) To put it simply, life. As a kid/teen, Tsukuru hung out with four other friends until one day they shut him out completely with no explanation. Part of the novel is a "mystery" in the sense of him finding out why, years later; the rest just deals with life - work, relationships, what a person's place is in society. Doesn't sound too exciting, but it was quite gripping, perhaps because I saw a lot of myself in the main character.
Sorcery: I'm reading the Dragonlance Legends trilogy. Almost finished book 2, "War of the Twins." Hopefully things pick up in the final book. It's written by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis.
I decided to go back and re-read all the original stuff, but I'm still on the second book of "Chronicles" because I always find other things I want to read that get in the way.
Post edited October 27, 2014 by DieRuhe
I am currently half way through the first Game of Thrones, though haven't picked it up in a while... need to get on that I guess.
I'm currently reading through Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton again until I can afford an e-book reader.

What e-book reader would you guys recommend?
I just finished reading Beloved and currently I'm reading Catch-22. Beloved was fantastic and Catch-22 is hilarious in a very bitter way. So far, I'm loving Catch-22.

Just to show a bit more gamer cred: I may read Dead Space: Catalyst next.

ZFR: Clockwork Orange.

Read without Nadsat dictionary. I speak Russian though, so it was easier for me. But you can get most of it from the context.
Great book. Seeing as you're from Ireland I assume it has the 21st chapter? Kubrick's film and many versions released in the U.S. are missing the last chapter. Certainly gives it a different feel.

I only know a few Russian words, but I didn't have too many issues with reading Nadsat either. As you said, you can understand the words through context.
MartynD88: I'm currently reading through Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton again until I can afford an e-book reader.

What e-book reader would you guys recommend?
I have been using the Kindle app on my phone quite happily.