It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A Simon Toyne trilogy bsed on a fictional city in Turkey called Ruin that has a secretive church enclave called The Citadel which supposedly houses a hidden "Sacrament".

If you like Dan Browne stuff, you should enjoy these, Sanctus, The Key and The Tower.

Series of movie type ads for the book :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmMo9gollI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLeRux4DmKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-3rwImGvlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hTLmTeVoF0]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scXWw9z9-ac
Post edited August 08, 2014 by F1ach
Still reading A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century

and Deadhouse Gates
Finished reading this edition of Ficciones by Jorge Louis Borges. 5/5, one of the best books ever written from my standpoint. Everyone should read it once in a lifetime.

The book's highlight: The Library of Babel. This story has been haunting me (mostly in a good way) for more than 2 decades....
Hal Duncan: Ink.The Book of all Hours.

The feller attacks the Western Archetypes and Memes head one, and still wants some, hey.

"Give me hardcore myths, or give me death." :-D
I am reading the GoG forums!

Sorry.....
Punished_Snake: I'm lending from my local library Witcher's books.
Now I'm reading the second one, Sword of Destiny :)
I tried to get the Witcher books from my library this week, but our library network does not have them.

So I borrowed Night Watch and Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko instead. I really enjoyed both films. The English translation is okay. The writing isn't very exciting, but I do like the story. I wonder how much better it'd be in the original Russian.
I'm currently reading "Total War Rome, Destroy Cathage" There honestly isn't enough good historical fiction books set during the rise of Roman...

But up next is Metro 2033... or 1984... I should probably finish that first I supose...
DieRuhe: Still working my way through the "Ebenezum" trilogy by Craig Shaw Gardner, and "Dragons of Spring Dawning."

I'm reading "An English Ghost Story" by Kim Newman - which is horrible. I'm reading it for review purposes; fortunately it doesn't come out until October so I have time, but for now I'm setting it aside. Really don't like it much. It's a good idea, but the execution could use some work.

And I'm waiting for "Traitor's Blade" so I can review that; can't remember the author offhand.
trentonlf: Sebastien de Castell?
That's it. Could have sworn I said that already, but didn't see a post.

Anyway, finished it today, and it was excellent.
This seemed like a good place to mention the latest Humble Book Bundle including American Gods by Neil Gaiman and The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
the_atm: I'm currently reading "Total War Rome, Destroy Cathage" There honestly isn't enough good historical fiction books set during the rise of Roman...

But up next is Metro 2033... or 1984... I should probably finish that first I supose...
Oh, I actually got a review copy of that book last year and would be curious to know your impressions.

This is part of my full review, this snippet was what I wrote on my goodreads page:

"It's evident that the author really knows his ancient military history and also fetishizes the Roman Empire as many antiquarian authors and historians do. Unfortunately that zeal didn't help him develop his characters in complex and interesting ways.Gibbins tends to use character dialogue to explain ideas and the implications for Rome. While I'm certain that many of the ruling class had conversations like that, I doubt they had them ad nausea.It reduces the characters to mere set-pieces.I wish rather than reading of the aftermath or having his characters discussing much of the battles and glossing over big parts, he would actually describe them.Though it's extremely difficult to do so given that there's hardly any documentation from the period, the man could use his imagination with his knowledge of these events like most historical novelists.
The final scenes and descriptions of the Battle of Carthage finally impressed upon me that this man could have written a much more exhilarating novel.

I'm of the opinion that reading nonfiction by archaelogist David Gibbins would be fascinating and insightful but this book has proven none of the former."
Post edited August 21, 2014 by Ragnarblackmane
Punished_Snake: I'm lending from my local library Witcher's books.
Now I'm reading the second one, Sword of Destiny :)
grimwerk: I tried to get the Witcher books from my library this week, but our library network does not have them.

So I borrowed Night Watch and Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko instead. I really enjoyed both films. The English translation is okay. The writing isn't very exciting, but I do like the story. I wonder how much better it'd be in the original Russian.
I almost completed fourth book now, but...okay, is very eay to read, but the plot just stopped. I mean, there are maybe two main events during the book, and then there are tons of useless chaters, or anyway chapters simply too long in which there's an event and then a lot of useless pages.
Terry Pratchett - Equal Rites
Harry Potter and the Deahtly hallows and to be honest it's really boring...(almost just as boring as the two final movies).

Half-blood prince was also boring but at least that one was interesting. Djeez Rowling new how she wanted to end it but i guess she didn't really know how to make two big books out of it...
madth3: My very own personal opinion:

The events in Heretics and Chapterhouse are very distant in time to Dune, Mesiah and Children. Although the novels have interesting ideas I did not feel that connected to the characters, and, after reading the Chapterhouse trilogy of prequels and reading some of the reviews in Amazon of the sequels, I decided I could live with the six novels the way they are even if I never find out what was supposed to happen afterwards.
deshadow52: That's fair point. I don't think I heard anything good about Brian Herbert's and Kevin Anderson's work on the dune series. I don't really know why. My guess is that either they made the series convoluted with all the prequels and sequels scattered all over the place or there just bad that last one I can kinda understand since I am assuming he is working from notes.
In regards to Dune, I have thoroughly enjoyed Brian Herbert's and Kevin J. Anderson's work; they've done an excellent job. It was their work that first introduced me to the Dune universe. Great Stuff.
Right now I'm in the middle of both The Martian by Andy Weir and Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. The Martian is winning in the pure enjoyment category for me.