It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Which games are keeping you company this weekend?

There are silent protagonists and chatty ones. Some go for the growly, menacing approach, others sound much more chipper, and once in awhile you might get the occasional dial-tone. But it is also not uncommon for a secondary character or even the villain to steal the show when well-performed, engaging banter is concerned. Do you have any favorites? Male, female, demons, dragons, corporeal narrators - they all count, as long as they have a voice!

Surely you've got some gaming planned for this weekend, too. Go on, share your Weekend Playlist with us. It can include single-player games, multiplayer games, console exclusives, anything - we are not judging. In fact, we are sharing too!

Looking for some additional inspiration? The GOG.com releases of the week might help:

- You can try and prevent magical catastrophes while traversing the strangely familiar fantasy world of <span class="bold">Zenith</span>.
- You can feel burly, hairy, and incredibly deadly while you're planning your next move in <span class="bold">We Are the Dwarves</span>.
- You can navigate an urban jungle of glass and shiny metal, trying to maintain your balance while running right across the <span class="bold">Mirror's Edge&trade;</span>.
- You can breed a whole culture of oddly shaped creatures and send them out to conquer space in the <span class="bold">SPORE&trade; Collection</span>.
- You can take your revenge from the Nazi oppressors and hit them where it hurts as <span class="bold">The Saboteur&trade;</span>.
- You can scratch your square chin, trying to make the decisions that Gotham City needs, as the <span class="bold">Batman</span>.
- You can try and replace or bring down a tyrannical spellcaster in <span class="bold">Sorcerer King - Rivals</span>.

So, GOGrunners, what are you playing this weekend?
Emob78: Another weekend with travelling? Well, tell him I said hello. XD
zeogold: I think this place must be haunted, because all I can hear is "BOOOOOO!"
I met a traveller from an antique land... who said...

BOO!
https://youtu.be/KE50BPPvzEs?t=20
skeletonbow: I haven't played any of the Sam and Max games yet, but I played a fair bit of the Poker Night at the Inventory I got from your community giveaway so I've seen a bit of Max's personality at work. :) I've also watched a friend playing a bit of the sequel to see some of Sam also. Not sure if you're into poker or not but they are decent casual poker games with a good sense of humour from the various odd combination of characters. Bit of side-fun for fans of any of the franchises they're cross-polinated from. :)
Honestly, those games look right up my alley and I own the first one, I just want to get familiar with all the characters first in their respective games before I play poker with them. I feel like I'll be able to appreciate the game more if I do.

Really though, look up some videos of Sam and Max Hit the Road. If I remember correctly, the voice actor from that one isn't the same as the one for TellTale/Poker Night at the Inventory. The original is much better, in my opinion.
zeogold: Honestly, those games look right up my alley and I own the first one, I just want to get familiar with all the characters first in their respective games before I play poker with them. I feel like I'll be able to appreciate the game more if I do.

Really though, look up some videos of Sam and Max Hit the Road. If I remember correctly, the voice actor from that one isn't the same as the one for TellTale/Poker Night at the Inventory. The original is much better, in my opinion.
I saw Poker Night at the Inventory 2 first but only briefly played it myself, however a friend played it a lot over my shoulder so I heard a lot of the cool dialogue from it. Prior to that I was mainly aware of Ash from the Evil Dead franchise (my favourite movie franchise of all time), and GlaDOS the computer from Portal/Portal2. The other characters I didn't know, but I knew of Sam from Sam&Max despite not playing those games. I had never played Borderlands so wasn't aware of claptrap, and had no idea who Brock was. Nonetheless, listening to their banter was hilarious. :)

For the first game, I wasn't really familiar with any of the characters at all other than like Sam, I knew of Max from seeing the games in GOG's catalogue. I had played Team Fortress 2 a few times but not much, and not enough to know about any personality "The Heavy" might have. I had never heard of Strong Bad or Tycho from Penny Arcade before. They all carry on some pretty hilarious dialogue though and it did actually make me want to pick up the Sam&Max games some time in the future, as well as check out the Strong Bad game some time as I got a laugh out of his ego/personality. I didn't care for Tycho though.

I do like the "This is what the video game/cartoon/comic characters do for fun when they're not acting in video games." idea behind the Poker Night at the Inventory games though and want to pick up a copy of the 2nd one myself one of these days also.
skeletonbow: For the first game, I wasn't really familiar with any of the characters at all other than like Sam, I knew of Max from seeing the games in GOG's catalogue. I had played Team Fortress 2 a few times but not much, and not enough to know about any personality "The Heavy" might have. I had never heard of Strong Bad or Tycho from Penny Arcade before. They all carry on some pretty hilarious dialogue though and it did actually make me want to pick up the Sam&Max games some time in the future, as well as check out the Strong Bad game some time as I got a laugh out of his ego/personality. I didn't care for Tycho though.
I'm familiar with Sam and Max, I've seen enough TF2 memes to know a decent amount about the Heavy, I know a small amount about Strong Bad due to watching some of the HomeStar Runner webtoons (although not enough that I'd get many of his jokes, since I know HomeStar Runner relied a lot on inside jokes), and I had to look up who Tycho was since I'd never even so much as heard of Penny Arcade before. Neither the comic nor its creators appeal to me much. I do like the other characters' personalities, though.

If you like Strong Bad's character, you should see some of the HomeStar Runner "Strong Bad's emails" webtoons.
zeogold: I'm familiar with Sam and Max, I've seen enough TF2 memes to know a decent amount about the Heavy, I know a small amount about Strong Bad due to watching some of the HomeStar Runner webtoons (although not enough that I'd get many of his jokes, since I know HomeStar Runner relied a lot on inside jokes), and I had to look up who Tycho was since I'd never even so much as heard of Penny Arcade before. Neither the comic nor its creators appeal to me much. I do like the other characters' personalities, though.

If you like Strong Bad's character, you should see some of the HomeStar Runner "Strong Bad's emails" webtoons.
I think Strong Bad is probably my favourite character in Poker Night at the Inventory overall in terms of humour/attitude and the way he speaks etc. I've been meaning to check out the web stuff sometime.

I didn't know who Tycho was either, but I had heard of Penny Arcade before. I'm totally not in to web comics and generally don't find them funny/amusing/entertaining in general except for the occasional XKCD that someone posts which has some geek humour that I can relate to in it, and maybe the now very old "Parking Lot is Full" which was pretty raw and hit and miss but had some real zingers in it, like this one which I still want to get printed on a T-shirt... :)

https://66.media.tumblr.com/2b0f7b208b45321336fdb3f8ee423267/tumblr_inline_n9qq99m3yq1r25tfy.gif
I don't get it.
Post edited September 24, 2016 by zeogold
zeogold: I don't get it.
It just hit my funny bone, the idea that someone ponders Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck getting into a fight to the death like that, wondering who would win. Then you look at the scene, then the punchline "Donald, but only if he can reach the knife..." :)

I'm going to blow that image up one of these days and trace it in high-res and colourize it, put the question at the top and the answer at the bottom and get it printed on a shirt. It's just some preposterous dark humour poking fun at Disney characters in an adult manner. :)

Parking Lot is Full had a lot of such content, here are some more:

http://plif.courageunfettered.com/archive/wc134.gif
https://66.media.tumblr.com/26437d988374de3fbeed2bf4b1d40b02/tumblr_inline_n9qq7fGRB51r25tfy.gif (NSFW/NSFK)
zeogold: I don't get it.
skeletonbow: It just hit my funny bone, the idea that someone ponders Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck getting into a fight to the death like that, wondering who would win. Then you look at the scene, then the punchline "Donald, but only if he can reach the knife..." :)

I'm going to blow that image up one of these days and trace it in high-res and colourize it, put the question at the top and the answer at the bottom and get it printed on a shirt. It's just some preposterous dark humour poking fun at Disney characters in an adult manner. :)

Parking Lot is Full had a lot of such content, here are some more:

http://plif.courageunfettered.com/archive/wc134.gif
https://66.media.tumblr.com/26437d988374de3fbeed2bf4b1d40b02/tumblr_inline_n9qq7fGRB51r25tfy.gif (NSFW/NSFK)
I still don't get it, and I don't get the new one, either.
Maybe it's just the style of humor.
zeogold: I still don't get it, and I don't get the new one, either.
Maybe it's just the style of humor.
Perhaps, that's how I feel about just about all online web comics personally so I can't fault you for it. :) I guess they're all contextual to a degree and if one isn't in the right context it might not click. They also tend to be of the nature of if it has to be explained then it isn't likely going to be funny also.

If one looks through the PLIF archives a lot of their old archived comics are now censored (presumably by DCMA or some shit like that I imagine), but about 75% of it I found to be not terribly funny, or just not my thing - but it was certain ones where I got the contextual humour/sarcasm/shock-value where they made me get a good chuckle. That one of Mickey and Donald Duck fighting to the death just cracks me up though. :)
Ghorpm: Nothing. Yet another weekend with travelling...
Emob78: Another weekend with travelling? Well, tell him I said hello. XD
He says that he will come to you too ;)
maladr0Id: Wrapping up Victor Van Vran tonight and then probably moving on to STASIS. Or Batman: Arkham Origins. Or Masochisia. Something dark for sure.
B0SC0: How have you found VV?
I could do with a more diverse bestiary and a little less ho-hum story but the gameplay is a blast, for the most part :)
I played five rounds of Master of Orion 2 and was done in less than twenty minutes. How come people say that game takes a long time to play? ;-) Alright, I did aim for winning in the shortest possible time but beating 39 seconds is a bit hard. (The record set by a player on https://www.speedrun.com/)
Sniper Elite and Desert Rats vs Afrika Korps. I am into WWII.
Well, Matchstick (the Firehawk goddess worshipping midget NPC) from Borderlands 2 is one of my favourite voices. His role in the game is tiny, but when you open the Dook Hut where he's living(?) for the very first time you'll be like wtf is this?
Same for the 2nd/final part of the quest, his part in the game is over before you know it.

Which is the strength of this NPC's appearance. It is awesome because it's short, and it's just long enough to put a smile on my face every time I do the mission.

2nd part of the quest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGxnKxBlWs
Wishbone: As for voice acting, my personal favourite is Tim Curry as the god Stratos in Sacrifice.
hyperagathon: Haha, my own pick would be Tony Jay as Mithras. It made such an impression on me, it was the first time I looked up a videogame voice actor. From then, whenever I'd hear him, I instantly knew it - guy had a distinctive voice. But pretty much everyone in Sacrifice was entertaining.
Tony Jay was a god among voice actors. I don't think I'll ever forget his scene as the Transcendent One vs. Ravel (Flo Di Re) in Planescape: Torment. FORTUNE ABANDONED YOU THE MOMENT I FOUND YOU. I also massively enjoyed David Warner as Irenicus, Stephen Merchant as Wheatley, and David Eddings as Claptrap. I'm not huge on voice acting in general, but when it's really good, it makes me sit up and take notice.

As for gaming, there will probably be some Diablo 3, Stardew Valley, XCOM: Enemy Within, Fallen London (might revisit Sunless Sea as well), and maybe Shadowrun: Hong Kong (it didn't grip me the way Dragonfall did, but I think I might just need to give it a bit more time. I love the whole Shadowrun setting). OOOORRRRRR I might just throw that lineup out the window and play something completely different for no good reason at all.