It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ssokolow: These large sizes always irritate me because:

1. If the game is bigger than 4.4GiB, the first pieces don't neatly fit on a DVD+R like the old ~1.46GiB pieces did, so it's harder to pack the DVDs full while still being able to pack them in a way that makes them easy to file and flip through. (I have nearly 450 DVD+Rs full of GOG/Humble/Desura/etc. content)

2. They're more likely to fail before completion on a shaky connection. (My connection usually isn't shaky, but I do live in the countryside without the ability to upgrade beyond 5Mbit DSL)

3. Given that you've got a split point anyway, why not split at a low enough point that we don't have to use NTFS or UDF on our removable media when FAT32 and ISO9660 can handle the old 1.5GiB split point perfectly well?
They've intentionally split up all of the games to fit within files 2GB or less before. I doubt they've changed that policy as nothing has changed on the user side to lower the importance of it so I assume that all that stuff is done by human hands and subject to human error rather than going through an automated process that tests things etc. It's probably one that just got through the cracks because someone was in a hurry to get home and play The Witcher 3. :)
"1. If the game is bigger than 4.4GiB, the first pieces don't neatly fit on a DVD+R like the old ~1.46GiB pieces did, so it's harder to pack the DVDs full while still being able to pack them in a way that makes them easy to file and flip through. (I have nearly 450 DVD+Rs full of GOG/Humble/Desura/etc. content)"

I don't understand. The old pieces were about 1.5 GiB. I never could fit three of them on any DVD, neither +R nor -R. So I was always left with about 1.36 GiB of unused space on every DVD. Now with the new size, which are about 3.95 GiB, I'm only loosing 0.41 GiB per DVD. So I like it a lot better.

Were you ever able to actually fit three 1.5 GiB pieces on a single DVD? All mine are limited to 4.36 GiB.

In terms of FAT32, a 2 GiB size would work just as well for me as a 4 GiB size. Perhaps the best of both worlds.

BTW, if you'd like to split them up differently, pack all the pieces into a .zip file (just stored, not compressed.) Then use a freeware program like GSPLIT to split them up any way you like. Of course, that won't work if your using a file system like FAT32 that's limited to 2 GiB file sizes.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by rmyers
skeletonbow: They've intentionally split up all of the games to fit within files 2GB or less before. I doubt they've changed that policy as nothing has changed on the user side to lower the importance of it so I assume that all that stuff is done by human hands and subject to human error rather than going through an automated process that tests things etc. It's probably one that just got through the cracks because someone was in a hurry to get home and play The Witcher 3. :)
I assume you simply haven't noticed it, but this process of moving from 1.5GB to 4GB splits has been going on for months now.
rmyers: [..]I never could fit three of them on any DVD[..]In terms of FAT32, a 2 GiB size would work just as well [..]
Fat32,DVDs.. those things are even older than my Win xp :P
From MaGog's logs for 20 May:

The drop-down language menu for SteamWorld Dig installers now lists Brazilian-Portuguese instead of Portuguese. No files have changed.

NOTE! CHANGED Crystal Caves, companies: Apogee Software, Ltd. / 3D Realms ***TO*** Apogee Software, Ltd. / Apogee Software

NOTE! CHANGED Terminal Velocity, companies: Terminal Reality / 3D Realms ***TO*** Terminal Reality / Apogee Software

NOTE! CHANGED Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, The, age_req: ***TO*** ESRB Rating: Mature (with Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Alcohol). USK Rating: Not approved for young persons aged under 18. PEGI Rating: 18+ (with Bad Language, Violence)

[Same for Free DLC Program and for Game + Expansion Pass]

NOTE! CHANGED Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, The - Expansion Pass [Season Pass] [Upcoming] [DLC], age_req: ***TO*** ESRB Rating: Mature (with Animated Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Alcohol). USK Rating: Not approved for young persons aged under 18. PEGI Rating: 18+ (with Bad Language, Violence)
rmyers: [..]I never could fit three of them on any DVD[..]In terms of FAT32, a 2 GiB size would work just as well [..]
phaolo: Fat32,DVDs.. those things are even older than my Win xp :P
And how I miss Windows 98SE! I have it, of course, but it ran better on the systems of that era. (Which I also have, but are composed of parts in boxes that need to be reassembled.)
rmyers: "1. If the game is bigger than 4.4GiB, the first pieces don't neatly fit on a DVD+R like the old ~1.46GiB pieces did, so it's harder to pack the DVDs full while still being able to pack them in a way that makes them easy to file and flip through. (I have nearly 450 DVD+Rs full of GOG/Humble/Desura/etc. content)"

I don't understand. The old pieces were about 1.5 GiB. I never could fit three of them on any DVD, neither +R nor -R. So I was always left with about 1.36 GiB of unused space on every DVD. Now with the new size, which are about 3.95 GiB, I'm only loosing 0.41 GiB per DVD. So I like it a lot better.

Were you ever able to actually fit three 1.5 GiB pieces on a single DVD? All mine are limited to 4.36 GiB.

In terms of FAT32, a 2 GiB size would work just as well for me as a 4 GiB size. Perhaps the best of both worlds.

BTW, if you'd like to split them up differently, pack all the pieces into a .zip file (just stored, not compressed.) Then use a freeware program like GSPLIT to split them up any way you like. Of course, that won't work if your using a file system like FAT32 that's limited to 2 GiB file sizes.
I fit them all the time. In fact, they fit perfectly on a DVD+R with only a hair to spare when I ask K3b to burn the default ISO+Joliet+RockRidge filesystem. (ISO9660 with DOS 8.3, Microsoft, and UNIX/Linux filenames and metadata)

I'm assuming something about your burning tool's default settings adds extra filesystem overhead. (Maybe it defaults to a hybrid ISO+UDF filesystem and the extra UDF overhead is too much?)

As for splitting them up differently, I don't even need to do that. There are free Linux tools which will just chop the raw bytes of the file so that all you need to do to recombine them is concatenate them with `cat piece1 piece2 > name_for_new_whole_file`. I prefer not to chop my files that way.

(Though I do repack the Linux tarballs using split 7zip with 4482 MiB volumes)
Post edited May 20, 2015 by ssokolow
what is updated on deathtrap dungeon?
phaolo: Fat32,DVDs.. those things are even older than my Win xp :P
Well, NTFS is a complex thing for 3rd-party devs to implement and Microsoft likes to make patent threats regarding exFAT.

Thankfully, there is a script you can download which generates a specially malformed partition table on a thumbdrive so that both Windows and OSX will accept UDF on it. (One insists that it must be inside a partition table, the other insists it must be the only thing on the device)

As for DVDs, Given that 100-disc spindles of high-quality DVD+Rs are getting harder to find for under $50, I'm making plans to migrate to a Pioneer BluRay burner and Panasonic MEI-T02-001 BD-Rs (the only combination that gets a pass for longevity) as soon as my current stock runs out.

(If I'm going to be storing terabytes of data, I want the ability to replace the drive mechanisms independent of replacing the data surface. Optical discs give me that. External hard drives don't. Hopefully, by the time the stock of good-quality BD-Rs starts to dry up, I'll have the funds to afford a suitably large RAID-10 NAS unit and some spare drives)
Post edited May 20, 2015 by ssokolow
oigroig: what is updated on deathtrap dungeon?
Music fix :)
rmyers: "1. If the game is bigger than 4.4GiB, the first pieces don't neatly fit on a DVD+R like the old ~1.46GiB pieces did, so it's harder to pack the DVDs full while still being able to pack them in a way that makes them easy to file and flip through. (I have nearly 450 DVD+Rs full of GOG/Humble/Desura/etc. content)"

ssokolow: I fit them all the time. In fact, they fit perfectly on a DVD+R with only a hair to spare when I ask K3b to burn the default ISO+Joliet+RockRidge filesystem. (ISO9660 with DOS 8.3, Microsoft, and UNIX/Linux filenames and metadata)

I'm assuming something about your burning tool's default settings adds extra filesystem overhead. (Maybe it defaults to a hybrid ISO+UDF filesystem and the extra UDF overhead is too much?)

As for splitting them up differently, I don't even need to do that. There are free Linux tools which will just chop the raw bytes of the file so that all you need to do to recombine them is concatenate them with `cat piece1 piece2 > name_for_new_whole_file`. I prefer not to chop my files that way.

(Though I do repack the Linux tarballs using split 7zip with 4482 MiB volumes)
I've been using UDF. Thanks for the info. I can change it to ISO 9660 / Joliet. I'll remember that the next time I'm just slightly short of space.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by rmyers
The Italian version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has been added to everyone's library :)
JudasIscariot: The Italian version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has been added to everyone's library :)
That little blue dot is easy to look over in the library. I had to come here to see what was updated.
flashpulse: That little blue dot is easy to look over in the library. I had to come here to see what was updated.
Wow, no joke. This is the first time I've noticed one, and I really had to hunt. Would really like them to turn the notification system back on instead.
ssokolow: [..]If I'm going to be storing terabytes of data, I want the ability to replace the drive mechanisms independent of replacing the data surface. Optical discs give me that. External hard drives don't. Hopefully, by the time the stock of good-quality BD-Rs starts to dry up, I'll have the funds to afford a suitably large RAID-10 NAS unit and some spare drives)
Uh? I didn't get that part.
You prefer discs, you are using BDs, and you're going to buy a NAS?

Anyway, how could you prefer a ton of unpractical optical media to a simple external hdisk? (+backup)
Since years, many cheap 1-4Tb hdd options are available.

flashpulse: That little blue dot is easy to look over in the library. I had to come here to see what was updated.
IAmSinistar: Wow, no joke. This is the first time I've noticed one, and I really had to hunt. Would really like them to turn the notification system back on instead.
Next avatar change: blue dot on the side :P
Post edited May 20, 2015 by phaolo