It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

phaolo: Next avatar change: blue dot on the side :P
Ha! It's tempting. :)
JudasIscariot: The Italian version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has been added to everyone's library :)
It's not on mine.

Wait, what do you mean I have to own the game to get the added version?
JudasIscariot: The Italian version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has been added to everyone's library :)
JMich: It's not on mine.

It does help :P
JMich: It's not on mine.

JudasIscariot: It does help :P
You lied to us, you said everyone. :P
IAmSinistar: Wow, no joke. This is the first time I've noticed one, and I really had to hunt. Would really like them to turn the notification system back on instead.
Indeed, as sad as it is. I actually prefer the old "updated" text to this dot since you could search for it...
Wurzelkraft: Indeed, as sad as it is. I actually prefer the old "updated" text to this dot since you could search for it...
And of course as soon as I complain about it, I suddenly get notification flags. Ain't that the way of the world?
flashpulse: That little blue dot is easy to look over in the library. I had to come here to see what was updated.
IAmSinistar: Wow, no joke. This is the first time I've noticed one, and I really had to hunt. Would really like them to turn the notification system back on instead.
I concur.

Since there is now all that white space under game covers, why not change that white color to something else (red, blue, invert white and black, whatever) to indicate updates?
Would be practically impossible to miss (unless the game is on the collection page 7 or so, and you're viewing any of the first six, but that's a different issue).
ssokolow: [..]If I'm going to be storing terabytes of data, I want the ability to replace the drive mechanisms independent of replacing the data surface. Optical discs give me that. External hard drives don't. Hopefully, by the time the stock of good-quality BD-Rs starts to dry up, I'll have the funds to afford a suitably large RAID-10 NAS unit and some spare drives)
phaolo: Uh? I didn't get that part.
You prefer discs, you are using BDs, and you're going to buy a NAS?

Anyway, how could you prefer a ton of unpractical optical media to a simple external hdisk? (+backup)
Since years, many cheap 1-4Tb hdd options are available.
And if that hard drive's mechanical or electronic components die without you futzing around with manual backup copies, you've lost 1-4TiB in one shot and your only hope to get the data back is to pay a data recovery firm thousands of dollars to source and manually replace the failed parts.

With optical discs, if the drive dies, you just buy another drive. (And, since storage surfaces tend to fail incrementally, you can use a tool like dvdisaster to add recovery coding similar to QR codes so that, once failure is detected, you can recover the data and then burn a replacement.)

My point about the NAS is that, since the world seems to be losing interest in removable media in general, I need to plan to move off it whether I like it or not. RAID-10 is a mechanism by which a storage system (eg. NAS) can show you one large drive but actually have multiple small drives behind the scenes with half of them being backup copies so, if one drive dies, you just swap in a replacement and it gets automatically rebuilt from its "mirror" partner.

(What you may not understand is that I already have 11TiB of data, that number is still growing, and when I switch to hard drives, I also want to switch to having the data accessible without manually fiddling with discs.)
Post edited May 20, 2015 by ssokolow
IAmSinistar: And of course as soon as I complain about it, I suddenly get notification flags. Ain't that the way of the world?
My issue was even worse. I suddenly got the flag when I went from the forums to the store page (or any of the account sub-sites) but it disappeared when I went to the forums again. After half an hour it also showed up in the forums.
ssokolow: [..]
Why would you avoid doing the backup? I just mirror everything automatically (differential).
I abandoned optical discs ages ago, because it was a pain for.. storage,classify,update,access,restore.

About non-basic RAID, I'm a bit scared by it, because if you mess up a swap you lose everything. O_o'
Ah also, viruses and the controller itself are other possible problems.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by phaolo
Wurzelkraft: My issue was even worse. I suddenly got the flag when I went from the forums to the store page (or any of the account sub-sites) but it disappeared when I went to the forums again. After half an hour it also showed up in the forums.
I've noticed that I often have to follow a certain sequence once the flag appears to get it to work on my shelf:

1) Notifications appear next to Account
2) Go to shelf, no Updates listed in the dropdown
3) Go back to Forum, open Account menu, click Library
4) Redirected to shelf, Updates now show

The developer side of me cringes when I try to imagine the plumbing under all this.
I've created a changelog thread in the Indiana Jones forum:

http://www.gog.com/forum/indiana_jones_series/changelog
ssokolow: [..]
phaolo: Why would you avoid doing the backup? I just mirror everything automatically (differential).
I abandoned optical discs ages ago, because it was a pain for.. storage,classify,update,access,restore.
I wouldn't, but, when optical media with dvdisaster is still a viable option, it costs significantly more to source twice as many hard drives and buy different brands (when only one may be on sale) to ensure that each backup goes to a drive from a different production run.

(I've never had an optical disc fail so badly that dvdisaster wouldn't solve it before it was time to migrate to the next generation of optical storage.)

phaolo: About non-basic RAID, I'm a bit scared by it, because if you mess up a swap you lose everything. O_o'
Ah also, viruses and the controller itself are other possible problems.
That's one reason I haven't used RAID yet. I'm still in the research phase. (In fact, I'm considering, instead, going for an array of mirrored RAID pairs where, instead of striping them, I let something like ZFS or Btrfs do filesystem-level spanning once I trust their Linux implementations to be mature enough. That'd give me more ability to have something recoverable since the filesystem would be in control of the striping.)

Also, RAID-10 is just striped RAID on top of mirrored RAID (RAID-1+0), so it's not really that "non-basic". The striped part is a potential rough spot in case of failure but the mirroring is transparent to recovery since, as long as you grab the right drives, you can pull half the disks and mount them as a purely-striped array.

As far as the controller goes, I'd be doing software RAID since I'm not a very demanding storage consumer, performance-wise, and software RAID wouldn't tie me to a specific controller model.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by ssokolow
Wurzelkraft: My issue was even worse. I suddenly got the flag when I went from the forums to the store page (or any of the account sub-sites) but it disappeared when I went to the forums again. After half an hour it also showed up in the forums.
IAmSinistar: I've noticed that I often have to follow a certain sequence once the flag appears to get it to work on my shelf:

1) Notifications appear next to Account
2) Go to shelf, no Updates listed in the dropdown
3) Go back to Forum, open Account menu, click Library
4) Redirected to shelf, Updates now show

The developer side of me cringes when I try to imagine the plumbing under all this.
You forgot to spit three times and throw salt over your shoulder.
ssokolow: (I've never had an optical disc fail so badly that dvdisaster wouldn't solve it before it was time to migrate to the next generation of optical storage.)
But if I understand correctly, you haven't been using BD disks. They are substantially more fragile than DVDs or CDs, and the drives are burdened with complex, up-datable software that is more interested in preventing copying than providing archival storage. What other hardware bricks itself if it believes the media just inserted is an unauthorized copy? And why worry about the media being more easily damaged when the downside is that you get to sell another copy of your movie?

There's a reason that BD Drives never caught on with PC users, so you may want to rethink the transition from DVD to BD.

IAmSinistar: The developer side of me cringes when I try to imagine the plumbing under all this.
Perhaps that's the reason they've been advertising for developers.
Post edited May 20, 2015 by rmyers