It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Jopalnu: Errr, why there are 10 more pages on this topic if you check it unregistered?
The number of pages depends on what your post-per-page setting is.
Likely the default (that guests get) is different to what your account is set to.
Back on topic, still waiting for Fireflower Games to be there. And any sort of blue reaction to the discussion really. And to the fact that the e-mail address listed apparently didn't work when FF first tried to send a message (no idea whether it was fixed since).
high rated
Cavalary: Back on topic, still waiting for Fireflower Games to be there. And any sort of blue reaction to the discussion really. And to the fact that the e-mail address listed apparently didn't work when FF first tried to send a message (no idea whether it was fixed since).
I agree. But it's the recurrent pr stunt, I don't expect much follow up on this. It's not like that page means something or have some kind of utility. There are better information elsewhere. Tipical half-baked attempt by GOG.
Post edited August 27, 2018 by MIK0
Thanks for everything GoG. Moreover for all these explanations.
Loko61945: From now to the end of the DRM all my buys will be to gog.com if a game is not here will be like I can't buy it, so I'll need download it from other places ;)
amok: you mean buy it from other places who also sell games DRM free?
I think a DRM free game will be here, but if not, yeah I can buy it on other DRM free place, why not? but anything with DRM NEVER.
Post edited August 28, 2018 by Loko61945
I really like the idea of initiative, but... If it's considered as something which would like to have more official supporters (from side of companies, developers etc.) I kinda doubt that the current name is the most fortunate one.

It's partially marketing stuff, but still - you need to be "cool and dandy" in those things.

By the way - I remember that back in 2009 (2010?) on one of forums which I was reading regulary, one user was complaining about installing steam for some title, because he was not going to install additional software for 1-2 games (sic!). How abstractive it sounds nowadays, when plenty of PC gamers don't even know about gaming outside Steam. Sigh...
low rated
Magmarock: I did post a link, that script downloads a selection of programs and the dependencies needed to make them work and packs them into a tar file. IT 'S COMMENTED IN THE CODE. Jeez, do you not read or something. It's either that or a 300 gig repo mirror.
xyem: In the midst of your self-righteousness, you forgot to consider that you didn't post a working link.
Woops my bad. sharing wasn't enabled so it was working for me but not for anyone else. Anyway here's the link to my bash script enjoy https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdaevjrrmslkera/Deb-Mint-Cin-18.2.sh?dl=0
Magmarock: It's either that or a 300 gig repo mirror.
RusNeuroMancer: False:
1. It's possible to make selective mirror few times smaller, that fit on SSD or HDD locally. It was told to you by few peoples already, yet you blindly ignore it.
2. You ignore distributions created specifically for usage without Internet.
3. You will ignore everything that doesn't fit into your narrative or comparison of unavoidable Windows integrated DRM with imaginary Internet requirement of Linux distributions.
Windows does have DRM but unlike Linux's net dependent design... it's really easy to bypass ;>
Post edited August 28, 2018 by Magmarock
The movement seems to be loosing Steam (pun intended) and It's not had the coverage I'd hoped for.

I think we need to have some more focused action

GoG streamers should ask their followers to reply to as many social media posts from Publishers/Devs with the fckdrm hashtag and domain as they can.

Every publicity post from Square-ENIX, Team17, 2K, and so on needs a GoGlodyte to reply with FCKDRM.

Another good link to include is this article from PC Gamer
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-likely-are-you-to-play-a-game-if-its-not-released-on-steam/

There's a significant number of people that don't want to use Steam and pubs need to be reminded of this, over and over until there is choice.
As ever, I am of the belief that GOG would get much better traction if they commissioned DRM-free releases. Preferably, of games that exist on console but haven't made the jump to PC. That would certainly get much more attention from the public, and more importantly would allow GOG to create ties with other companies.
I do find the quotation from someone at Valve against DRM highly amusing. These are the STEAM people. You need to know ahead of time that you won't have the internet to access offline mode on that thing, last time I checked. And after a few months it still refuses to let you continue without "checking in".

Meanwhile GOG has Galaxy now, which stops some games from playing even if you never had Galaxy installed, just because those games had Galaxy integrated. (I'm guessing that's why there's the non-corrupted vs Galaxy downloads for games now, but it's still kinda funny.)

GOG is better than most, but it's not without it's own DRM-ish quirks. (And don't get me started on the amount of reviews on here about DRM for multiplayer on games tagged DRM-free on GOG.)
Magmarock: Anyway here's the link to my bash script enjoy https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdaevjrrmslkera/Deb-Mint-Cin-18.2.sh?dl=0
Okay..? It could be simplified and tidied up a bit, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with it aside from the what looks like an explicit listing of debs for Crossover (even the comment hints that it is already available).

I've actually forgotten your point now because I'm sure you were saying that Windows is easier to do this on, but the steps for Windows are:

1) go to website (repeat N times)
2) download exe (repeat N times)
3) double click exe (repeat N times)
3.1) complete installation procedure for exe
4) archive exe
5) to install everything offline, double click exe (repeat N times)
5.1) complete installation procedure for exe

but for Linux, using that script, they are:

1) download/create this script once
2) run this script once
3) to install everything offline, run the installation script once

So err... what was your point again?
Makes a good point. So does having a physical copy not just digital distribution. People been fighting that stuff awhile now. So do privay laws and other stuff. But hey, maybe win one for gamers. Can't win them all.
Cyberpunk 2077 presents the perfect opportunity to push the initiative in the near future, I think.

Might be enough to do a timed GOG.com-exclusive pre-order (upon announcement of the release date at the earliest) to reel in (and in the process long-term convert) heaps of new customers.
Customers who came for Cyberpunk 2077 and stayed for the DRM-free cause. Or other games besides Cyberpunk 2077 sold on GOG.com. Or the community. Or whatever.

I think CDProjektRED resp. GOG.com need to actually match the "aggressive" tone of "FCK DRM" with equally "aggressive" marketing/promotion strategies like this for the initiative to take off (a bit more).
Post edited August 28, 2018 by LsRST
LsRST: Cyberpunk 2077 presents the perfect opportunity to push the initiative in the near future, I think.

Might be enough to do a timed GOG.com-exclusive pre-order (upon announcement of the release date at the earliest) to reel in (and in the process long-term convert) heaps of new customers.
Customers who came for Cyberpunk 2077 and stayed for the DRM-free cause. Or other games besides Cyberpunk 2077 sold on GOG.com. Or the community. Or whatever.

I think CDProjektRED resp. GOG.com need to actually match the "aggressive" tone of "FCK DRM" with equally "aggressive" marketing/promotion strategies like this for the initiative to take off (a bit more).
Sony, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, etc pull the exclusivity card all the time, so it'd be only fair to, in return pull it on them for a change.
And if it helps the DRM-free cause at the same time... absolutely.
xyem: In the midst of your self-righteousness, you forgot to consider that you didn't post a working link.
Magmarock: Woops my bad. sharing wasn't enabled so it was working for me but not for anyone else. Anyway here's the link to my bash script enjoy https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdaevjrrmslkera/Deb-Mint-Cin-18.2.sh?dl=0
RusNeuroMancer: False:
1. It's possible to make selective mirror few times smaller, that fit on SSD or HDD locally. It was told to you by few peoples already, yet you blindly ignore it.
2. You ignore distributions created specifically for usage without Internet.
3. You will ignore everything that doesn't fit into your narrative or comparison of unavoidable Windows integrated DRM with imaginary Internet requirement of Linux distributions.
Magmarock: Windows does have DRM but unlike Linux's net dependent design... it's really easy to bypass ;>
Several years ago, back when I wanted to get a few free games available on Linux that were included in the repositories, I believe it was Fish Fillets and Battle for Wesnoth (though I may have gotten the name wrong), and I had a very low data cap.
So what I did was use my system to create a list of the files I needed, put that list on a USB drive, went to a local library to download the files, put them on the USB drive, came home and installed them. At no point at any stage on my home computer did I need to have the internet working for this. Thankfully I didn't need too many files.

I find Linux is very good about saying "You need this file from the internet, would you like me to get it?" while at the same time allowing me other (non-internet) options to use the file if I get it some other way. Which to me is not in any way DRM.

Needing to have your OS activated in order to run is DRM, having the option to have your clock checked against time over the net is not, if your clock will run fine without the internet connection being turned on, is not DRM to me.

More than a few times, I will hear someone say about Linux, "I don't want to use Linux in that way!" and when provided a suggestion about how they can do it some completely different way, gets the response, "But that's too hard!"

Meanwhile in Windows there is only one way to do a thing, and its users insist that is the only way to do it.
Sounds a bit like the Stockholm Syndrome to me.