It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
low rated
Not too mention that gog have put themselves as the only ones doing this, convinient. Forget all the other stores, the developer websites, the misdeed and re-implementors doing this, and the companies themselves patching out drm. Nope it's only you lot standing up against the masses (or should we say galaxy?)
high rated
timmy010: don't like the name. didn't expect that from a proper store front. have some self respect.
I feel the same way. The message isn't going to reach too many people. #FuckKonami is also a popular thing, but I doubt any big publisher is going to ever use it to engage the audience. The same with the FCK DRM initiative. Nice thought, awful execution.

EDIT: even if i were to be using auto correct i wouldn't have made this many spelling mistakes.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by MadalinStroe
high rated
I appreciate what you are doing and always buy DRM free games when possible, but the initiative's name should be a little more family friendly if you know what I mean ;)
high rated
Does that mean that GOG is finally purging its catalog from all the drm infused games they added in the past years? Otherwise this would be another pr stunt (you are not even a 100% drm-free source).
Post edited August 21, 2018 by MIK0
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: Ha, the irony here must be messing up compasses for miles about. Not only do you not promote a sensible, professional from to anti drm, i.e. by using barely concealed swearwords, you have thaudacity to talk about drm free when things like Gwent, Absolver, goblins inc. etc. Are stretching the bounds of what can be called drm free. Go on, please do show us all how I can back up offline and play without internet, Gwent.
I do agree with your statement and I have said before that Gwent and other pay to win, always online games taint the GOG website and weakens the credibilty of the anti-DRM stance flaunted by Code RED which is intimately linked to GOG,. but rather than only providing critique, I would like to suggest a proper alternative to solve the issues I have with GOG Galaxy:

Good initiative. Such pity though that most multiplayer games for multiplayer don't offer to download the server program, whether for LAN or WAN gaming. I would really love to see that tide turn.
You could say that it makes no sense for game developers to invent the wheel over and over again to provide the basics of a TCP/ UDP based connection between players with some user interfaces.
You might argue that GOG Galaxy will provide that service at the WAN level and that developers merely have to support the protocol in order for this to work.
GOG Galaxy is not a real alternative for me at the moment since the used protocol and source code are not open and thus bound to the uptime and eventual lifetime of the GOG Galaxy servers. Should GOG ever fail, all multiplayer games that are dependent on Galaxy will loose that feature. Some games will even become useless, because multiplayer is all they offer as gameplay mode.

Another disadvantage is that Galaxy currently only runs on MacOSX and Windows
MacOSX is firmly tied to the hardware of Apple and I refuse to be a part of the cult that praises that company.
Windows is an OS family that is crippled with DRM and in the case of Windows 10 (consumer versions) with malware and adware by design.
GOG please complete your port of Galaxy to Linux (flatpak installer preferred) before the EOL of Windows 7 and release the source code, so it can become a true standard.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by jorlin
high rated
jorlin: Good initiative. Such pity though that most multiplayer games for multiplayer don't offer to download the server program, whether for LAN or WAN gaming. I would really love to see that tide turn.
You could say that it makes no sense for game developers to invent the wheel over and over again to provide the basics of a TCP/ UDP based connection between players with some user interfaces.
You might argue that GOG Galaxy will provide that service at the WAN level and that developers merely have to support the protocol in order for this to work.
GOG Galaxy is not a real alternative for me at the moment since the used protocol and source code are not open and thus bound to the uptime and lifetime of the GOG Galaxy servers. Should GOG ever fail, all multiplayer games that are dependent on Galaxy will loose that feature. Some games will even become useless, because multiplayer is all they offer as gameplay mode.

Another disadvantage is that Galaxy currently only runs on MacOSX and Windows
MacOSX is firmly tied to the hardware of Apple and I refuse to be a part of the cult that praises that company.
Windows is an OS family that is crippled with DRM and in the case of Windows 10 (consumer versions) with malware and adware by design.
GOG please complete your port of Galaxy to Linux (flatpak installer preferred) before the EOL of Windows 7 and release the source code, so it can become a true standard.
I agree. The multiplayer part of Galaxy should be open and usable by customers without the needs of galaxy or a server behind it (it should be configurable). That way it could also be used in other version of the game and allow crossplay. If a game rely on Galaxy for the multiplayer part it has the same limitation of having drm.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by MIK0
A little bit off-topic, but the thread isn't updated and bumped when somebody posts here. There are posts from minutes ago, and on the topic list it says it's been active an hour ago.
RPGFanboy: I appreciate what you are doing and always buy DRM free games when possible, but the initiative's name should be a little more family friendly if you know what I mean ;)
But... it's First Class RPG Dungeons Rock Much!
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: Not too mention that gog have put themselves as the only ones doing this, convinient. Forget all the other stores, the developer websites, the misdeed and re-implementors doing this, and the companies themselves patching out drm. Nope it's only you lot standing up against the masses (or should we say galaxy?)
To be fair to GOG...

1. It is specifically a gallery of places that guarantee their entire catalogue will be DRM-free. (No, I don't know how they reconcile Gwent with that.)

2. They explicitly provide instructions for how other vendors can request that they be added.

Given that their online store is absent from the books section, I think I'll poke Baen Books about this when I have a moment.
erbello: DRM Shops shouldn't use a "buy" word, but instead: "rent", "borrow" or "buy a ticket".
Steam's EULA uses the word "subscription" (it's actually called Steam's Subscriber Agreement now) . The store uses the word "buy", but it doesn't tell you that you're just buying a subscription (not a license, a subscription).
Post edited August 21, 2018 by user deleted
ssokolow: (...)
Given that their online store is absent from the books section, I think I'll poke Baen Books about this when I have a moment.
When it comes to books, there is also Smashwords.
timmy010: don't like the name. didn't expect that from a proper store front. have some self respect.
It's GOG. Last I checked, a friend of mine was still avoiding them because of the "We're closing down" publicity stunt they did years ago.
MIK0: Does that mean that GOG is finally purging its catalog from all the drm infused games they added in the past years? Otherwise this would be another pr stunt (you are not even a 100% drm-free source).
Yes, GWENT needs to be purged from the catalog.

Sure, DRM might not affect you right now, but corporations hold the key and they'll only let you in as long as you can repeatedly prove ownership.
I guess that confirms GOG Galaxy doesn't require ownership on the logged in account to access multiplayer as was asserted in a previous thread.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Pheace
GOG.com: DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one.
In truth, it was only a side affect of the site's original focus of being about old classic games that came from a time period where DRM didn't really exist. Being DRM free wasn't really at the heart of GOG until they started offering newer games and then they shifted their focus to being DRM free.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by somberfox