It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Torchiest: What does FCK stand for?
I think that is quite self explanatory -> fuck
Post edited August 22, 2018 by Matruchus
Magmarock: As for what Linus said I don’t really follow him but it wouldn't be the first time a Linux fanboy has lied about something.
eric5h5: Do you also call Bill Gates a "Windows fanboy"?

Wine is not an emulator because emulators don’t traditionally use dll from the system they’re trying to ape. Wine is the worst thing I’ve ever had to deal with. It’s like someone was trying to make an emulator and then gave up half way. I still can’t get Fear, a game from 2007 to work property in it and as I mentioned before when using Wine you’re using guanine Windows DLL files. I though the whole point of Linux was to get away from Windows.
eric5h5: That's not at all what WINE is, but then it's too much to expect Windows fanboys to argue from actual knowledge. It's a clean-room reverse-engineering of Windows, and doesn't use any actual Windows DLL files unless you tell it to. I used it to run FEAR several years ago and it was trivial to get it to work, and I didn't have any noticeable issues. It's likely you're lying or exaggerating your experience.
What would you say if I created a video of Fear running on Wine just for you. Would you make this worth my time. Because if the answer is yes I'll make that video just you for.
KuraudotheGreat: I'd rather GoG start a FCK SJW initiative.
:D you know I think CD Project Red needs to get in on that.
Mr.Caine: What a juvenile marketting stunt. But it's perfect for GOG's audience who only wants to be pandered to.
Hey if it works don't knock it.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by Magmarock
low rated
Kanashe: ...
muntdefems: Please, tell us how many of your 141 GOG games you've paid for and how "hipster" and "rebel" you feel for doing so.
Actually a good portion I got of them because I already owned 'em on steam. An feeling hipster or rebellious? Nah, I'm just not hailing GoG as some sort of holy grain and giving 'em a constant circle jerk.

Well Piss off and go back to shteam then, Toodles don't let the fly screen door hit you on the backside on the way out *-Thwack-*

FWIW GOG do give out free games where they could have charged money for it
Yeah, mostly games they give away is either those you already have on steam, really crappy games OR games that you need to spend money just to unlock. That's some good "free games", eh? So, yeah wanna circle jerk less buddy?

GOG - Is an awesome and friendly service with great value, If you think GOG don't care about customers then your the fool, Buy a game and get games worth up to 30 quid free etc and you think they want to sucker people ? How and their games are DRM free too.
No, I'm more of a realist than a dumb circle jerker or sheep who actually believes they care. To them it's all about suckering you guys out of money and getting said suckers to sell their BS to others, and this is their best strategy, spout more of this DRM free crap, pretend how they care and how they're all about gamers, yadda, yadda yadda. While at the same time they can sell you guys for overpriced prices, games that aren't properly patched, even DRM based games and so forth.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by Kanashe
Torchiest: What does FCK stand for?
Going by their recent Twitter appeasement?

Favors (the)
Completely
Kooky

Despises
Receiving
Money
Post edited August 22, 2018 by deuxhero
madammina: GOG I appreciate the pitch and I agree on no DRM. But between the literal name of the promo and how you are acting on twitter I'm getting a little uncomfortable if you are telling us everything. If you are who you say you are and what you want.
the whole twiter crap was just that...crap from people easily offended......but then again the internets is a good and a bad thing...EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION..including me...
Digital_CHE: It must be 100% DRMFREE.. itch.io isn't
They have games with DRM? That's bad. So far the problem that I encountered there were developers who stop updating their games while directing users to Steam. That's not good, but I didn't know they actually have games with DRM to begin with.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by shmerl
Well...i really like the idea of Gog going supporting a Anti-DRM-Movment.

But...i am bit confused too...between 2008 and 2012, they where several smaller Anti-DRM-Movments, some asked Gog for help and at least the german ones didn't even got a anwser.

And... looking at the development of Gog over the last 5 years they softened their Anti-DRM-Policy, aside from 3.party account for MP, they even have some games that need a 3.party account to unlock all ingamecontent...2 or 3 even missed the Info about their restrictions at release.

I really hope Gog is serious about this instead of only making some "We'res till 100% Anti-DRM"-advertising.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by DF1871
Seems like a stunt to pull off on a slow news day as a filler. I guess we will see if this goes anywhere.
DF1871: Well...i really like the idea of Gog going supporting a Anti-DRM-Movment.

But...i am bit confused too...between 2008 and 2012, they where several smaller Anti-DRM-Movments, some asked Gog for help and at least the german ones didn't even got a anwser.

And... looking at the development of Gog over the last 5 years they softened their Anti-DRM-Policy, aside from 3.party account for MP, they even have some games that need a 3.party account to unlock all ingamecontent...2 or 3 even missed the Info about their restrictions at release.

I really hope Gog is serious about this instead of only making some "We'res till 100% Anti-DRM"-advertising.
They clearly are not serious about it, their history speak for itself. This is just another clumsy pr stunt.
-GOG plans to celebrate its 10th anniversary next September.
-This year's Day Against DRM is on September 20th.
-GOG opens a page that resembles Defective by design

Coincidences?
Post edited August 22, 2018 by Lone_Scout
Lone_Scout: -GOG plans to celebrate its 10th anniversary next September.
-This year's Day Against DRM is on September 20th.
-GOG opens a page that resembles Defective by design

Coincidences?
Seems not. They are trying to capitalize on other people's battle instead of actively doing something about it. They had plenty of occasion to be pro consumer in the past years.
All GOG does is keep claiming they did this or did that but they are all empty claims. Everytime they are trying to pandering to their customers it's just with words and not fact. Mostly an issue of their pr division.
low rated
Wow the GOG community really hates itself hey?
muntdefems: Please, tell us how many of your 141 GOG games you've paid for and how "hipster" and "rebel" you feel for doing so.
Kanashe: Actually a good portion I got of them because I already owned 'em on steam. An feeling hipster or rebellious? Nah, I'm just not hailing GoG as some sort of holy grain and giving 'em a constant circle jerk.

Well Piss off and go back to shteam then, Toodles don't let the fly screen door hit you on the backside on the way out *-Thwack-*

FWIW GOG do give out free games where they could have charged money for it
Kanashe: Yeah, mostly games they give away is either those you already have on steam, really crappy games OR games that you need to spend money just to unlock. That's some good "free games", eh? So, yeah wanna circle jerk less buddy?

GOG - Is an awesome and friendly service with great value, If you think GOG don't care about customers then your the fool, Buy a game and get games worth up to 30 quid free etc and you think they want to sucker people ? How and their games are DRM free too.
Kanashe: No, I'm more of a realist than a dumb circle jerker or sheep who actually believes they care. To them it's all about suckering you guys out of money and getting said suckers to sell their BS to others, and this is their best strategy, spout more of this DRM free crap, pretend how they care and how they're all about gamers, yadda, yadda yadda. While at the same time they can sell you guys for overpriced prices, games that aren't properly patched, even DRM based games and so forth.
Dear Kanashe,

you should also take into mind, that many people are at gog because they're conservative instead of being hippster or rebells.
During most of my lifetime it was normal to own all the stuff i bought, at the beginning Steam was a community-plattform&patch-distribution, etc...(i even remember the time amazon being fair&friendly to customers&junior partners alike ;)
I could bring down a long list of examples, i buy at Gog because i dislike the way DRM/Steam and some other things developed and Gog is the "least evil". I don't forget that CD-projekt is a company and Gog is a buisness-projekt to earn money but until now they're still close enough to my claims that i buy here.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by DF1871
When I saw this news I laugh to be honest...

Because you know...

GOG Galaxy is a thing.

And by the way the site is running trackers funny when "Defective by Design" (something that the site promote) say that it's bad.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by AngeLusFr
GOG.com: We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.
And yet, there is still no Galaxy client for Linux!

Without the client, I cannot access my savegames I used to sync when on Windows. Nor can I sync my savegames to cloud when I play on Linux. Nor can I automatically receive updates to my GOG games on Linux.

While I greatly appreciate supporting Linux at all, it is greatly limited when all it achieves is manually install games and their updates.

Today, Steam released huge news for all Linux gamers.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410#announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

While I certainly would prefer GOG over Steam, it just isn't happening without Galaxy client for Linux. Since core technology behind latest Steam Play advancements on Linux are open-source, I would expect Galaxy client to eventually support them too. Oh wait, there is no Galaxy client for Linux!