It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Thanks GOG, a big kiss to you!
Need to get one going for the FCK SJW initiative too.
low rated
xyem: EDIT: Just to be clear, speaking about Arch Linux repository mirror here. Sure, other distros could have 300GB repositories, like Debian.
When people say Linux in can mean just about anything. Yes Arch has a much smaller mirror then Debian and also has much less software. Mirroring is still a pain though and outside the realism of what most people are willing to do. Put it this way, if most Linux uses don't want to do it then even less Windows users want to do it.

xyem: Disk space is an odd thing to complain about too as it is super easy to acquire (I paid £20 for 2 500GB drives recently).. bandwidth is a more obvious stumbling block.
For general storage maybe but people today are using SSD's which are smaller on space.

xyem: Yep. I've fixed Linux installations by downloading the packages from a Windows machine and copying them over. It's one of the reasons I carry the mirror I mentioned with me: so I don't have to do it again!
Huh, maybe that's an arch thing. I don't see how you could update an Ubuntu mirror of over 300gigs
low rated
Kanashe: Yeah, there are such people in your pwecious Anti-DRM, but sure keep thinking that I'm the only one who thinks that. Since you're also the naive idiot who assumes your silly anti-DRM movement is huge, when its actually a small paper tiger facing a collosal storm.

Okay, I understand, you're a special snowflake who considers himself awesome because he stands the so called DRM overloards or whatever the fuck you picture yourself. Do enjoy your lil special fantasy of how you'll change the whole DRM thing. An boy I do hope they will exterminate the whole anti-DRM thing so I can laugh at all you losers even more, honestly to compare your pathetic crusade with civil liberties or something is hilarious. Compared to those guys, you people are a gathering of either tumblr users or SJW types in terms of being taken seriously.
rottenbrain: Serious question - why are you so adamantly against people disliking DRM? What do you have to gain from (as you put it) "the whole anti-DRM thing" failing? I really don't understand where you're coming from.
I'd say it'll get GoG to tone down their whole smugness off "Oh, look at us! Aren't we just awesome guys!" and I won't have to deal with all these DRM-Free assholes considering themselves supah special or having to put up with their attitude of "If you aren't against DRM like we are, then you are scum and part of the problem!".
Magmarock: Without a consistent internet connection no Linux distros can't install software or do much of anything
Without a consistent internet connection, Windows "can't install software or do much of anything" either. What's that? You can transfer files over via USB if you'd like? Yeah, same with Linux. Have you even tried using it? Where is this completely unfounded belief coming from?

Also, requiring an internet connection for functionality is not Digital Rights Management. You seem to mix the two. Many publishers do require an internet connection so they can check against the their server, and that is definitely DRM, but "needs internet" is not automatically DRM.
Post edited August 23, 2018 by arlf1sh
Kanashe: I'd say it'll get GoG to tone down their whole smugness off "Oh, look at us! Aren't we just awesome guys!" and I won't have to deal with all these DRM-Free assholes considering themselves supah special or having to put up with their attitude of "If you aren't against DRM like we are, then you are scum and part of the problem!".
Boy oh boy you're getting a lot of salt aren't you. All joking aside I actually think gog have earned a little smugness. Considering it's owned by CDPR which managed to make Witcher 3 DRM free on day one but also manage to be one of the hottest properties around. It's a real FCK you to industry that keeps clinging to DRM with next to no respect to their consumer base. It is us who have to prove ourselves trustworthy to these corporate overloads while they continue to distrusts us at every turn. It's a little gratifying to rub it in I'm not gonna lie.
arlf1sh: Without a consistent internet connection, Windows "can't install software or do much of anything" either. What's that? You can transfer files over via USB if you'd like? Yeah, same with Linux. Have you even tried using it? Where is this completely unfounded belief coming from?
Yes I used to download deb files and use dpkg -i *.deb to install them. But this proved to be impractical and a waist time because the combination of deb files had to be unique to the distribution.

arlf1sh: Also, requiring an internet connection for functionality is not Digital Rights Management. You seem to mix the two. Many publishers do require an internet connection so they can check against the their server, and that is definitely DRM, but "needs internet" is not automatically DRM.
I didn't say it was I said it was like DRM https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/like
Post edited August 23, 2018 by Magmarock
low rated
Kanashe: I'd say it'll get GoG to tone down their whole smugness off "Oh, look at us! Aren't we just awesome guys!" and I won't have to deal with all these DRM-Free assholes considering themselves supah special or having to put up with their attitude of "If you aren't against DRM like we are, then you are scum and part of the problem!".
Magmarock: Boy oh boy you're getting a lot of salt aren't you. All joking aside I actually think gog have earned a little smugness. Considering it's owned by CDPR which managed to make Witcher 3 DRM free on day one but also manage to be one of the hottest properties around. It's a real FCK you to industry that keeps clinging to DRM with next to no respect to their consumer base. It is us who have to prove ourselves trustworthy to these corporate overloads while they continue to distrusts us at every turn. It's a little gratifying to rub it in I'm not gonna lie.
They also managed to make Witcher 3 buggy as fuck on day one (roughly five thousand bugs according to Wikipedia), an let's be real the gaming community isn't exactly a shining beacon of trustworthiness or actually being taken with respect
Magmarock: Boy oh boy you're getting a lot of salt aren't you. All joking aside I actually think gog have earned a little smugness. Considering it's owned by CDPR which managed to make Witcher 3 DRM free on day one but also manage to be one of the hottest properties around. It's a real FCK you to industry that keeps clinging to DRM with next to no respect to their consumer base. It is us who have to prove ourselves trustworthy to these corporate overloads while they continue to distrusts us at every turn. It's a little gratifying to rub it in I'm not gonna lie.
Kanashe: They also managed to make Witcher 3 buggy as fuck on day one (roughly five thousand bugs according to Wikipedia), an let's be real the gaming community isn't exactly a shining beacon of trustworthiness or actually being taken with respect
Ah all games are released that way these days.

As for the gaming community not being trustworthy... well, all the more for gog to be smug about everything.
Post edited August 23, 2018 by Magmarock
low rated
lol just empty words and kinda insulting

how about fck gogs greedy shareholders or fck gogs mandatory drm client galaxy

or fck drm in fear

or fck gogs overpriced games or

fck gogs unupdated, unfixed, unplayable and abandoned games?
Post edited August 23, 2018 by apehater
This is a great initiative, I really hope it brings light to the issues that DRM is. Though, there'll always be some fanboys defending their favorite company's (Activision, EA, Ubisoft) launcher. **** 'em, seriously. GOG should also start an anti-censorship initiative so issues like the one Steam had don't happen here.
apehater: lol just empty words and kinda insulting

how about fck gogs greedy shareholders or fck gogs mandatory drm client galaxy

or fck drm in fear

or fck gogs overpriced games or

fck gogs unupdated, unfixed, unplayable and abandoned games?
Ladies and gentleman. I present to you. A real genuine TROLL!
Magmarock: That right is the problem. You can't see it despite it staring at you in the face, and it's really frustrating. Also what the hell is wrong with paying for stuff. Why do many Linux people hate capitalism, are you guys super poor or just massive cheapskates
Triple huh? I own more than 2000 physical games and more than 700 on GOG.
When I came across the Razor1911 crack intro in the 90's that said "a game worth play is a game worth buying" it got me thinking. Guess what I did? I formatted the disks of the hundreds of pirated games and sold them as empty (half price they were at the store - replacement guarantee for a month if they didn't work). It was enough enough money to buy > 40 original games - some of them full price (which meant 120 Deutsche Mark at the time, roughly the same in Euro now, 10 disks was about 20 DM at the time - I sold them for 10). So I switched hundreds of collected pirated games for dozens I actually played. And it felt really good. I never went back to pirating again (I use cracks to make games work that I bought though).
Magmarock: Ladies and gentleman. I present to you. A real genuine TROLL!
Well it's Apehater... he's been around since 2012 with varying degrees of saneness...
Post edited August 23, 2018 by toxicTom
It would be great that DRM would be a bigger topic in gaming again. The gaming market is showing a lot of unhealthy signs of going toward a new gaming industry crash, if the direction does not change. In the last 20 years gaming succeeded at last to get a positive regard by the larger public. But that can definitely change in the coming 10 years.

Examples and arguments below:

Consumers are not the end customer in many cases. Triple A companies have become over confident and almost only see their stockowners as important (watch a few episodes of Jim Sterling for more arguments for this perspective).

Also more and more people are getting the very real feeling of being scammed/screwed by gaming products. A good example of "Allways on DRM" is that after the company does not feel like supporting a game. Which often means it might as well disappear. You may not even host your a own servers because you might be able to make a buck.

Also companies like steam, uplay, origin... all can go out of business. And sadly that means that the new IP owner can dictate whatever they like about "your" purchased product. Maybe with luck you can re-buy it again (if there are enough people ready to pay).

Also the level of spying/analytics in games is really scary. If you think Google and Facebook are bad check out who they collaborate with in the gaming industry. You can search in google for example "Gaming Analytics Summit" .

You are of course aware that your gaming habits are recorded? Right?
No! Well you are not the only one, only a fraction knows about it.

Also the fact that we give companies such a huge amount of control over our hobby is really problematic, in the long run. Companies (and organism in general) crave control. It's natural instinct when it comes to survival. But where there is control there has to be its opposite. Subjugation.

Sorry that this post got so long and it might have some grammatical errors. (GOG:s text editor seems a bit sluggish). But I felt i had to write about my thoughts.

Feel free to counter them otherwise this would just be a boring monolog.
low rated
Magmarock: That right is the problem. You can't see it despite it staring at you in the face, and it's really frustrating. Also what the hell is wrong with paying for stuff. Why do many Linux people hate capitalism, are you guys super poor or just massive cheapskates
toxicTom: Triple huh? I own more than 2000 physical games and more than 700 on GOG.
When I came across the Razor1911 crack intro in the 90's that said "a game worth play is a game worth buying" it got me thinking. Guess what I did? I formatted the disks of the hundreds of pirated games and sold them as empty (half price they were at the store - replacement guarantee for a month if they didn't work). It was enough enough money to buy > 40 original games - some of them full price (which meant 120 Deutsche Mark at the time, roughly the same in Euro now, 10 disks was about 20 DM at the time - I sold them for 10). So I switched hundreds of collected pirated games for dozens I actually played. And it felt really good. I never went back to pirating again (I use cracks to make games work that I bought though).
Magmarock: Ladies and gentleman. I present to you. A real genuine TROLL!
toxicTom: Well it's Apehater... he's been around since 2012 with varying degrees of saneness...
lol wut. Okay

1. it's unwise to admit to criminal activity even on the internet

2. how many of those 700 games can you play

3. despite owning 700 games, how many can you play on Linux?

4. If you like to buy stuff then why do you complain about it?

5. You really don't see a problem with an OS that constantly suffers from software deprecation and an over reliance on repository servers?
FCK DRM! Buy more CDR stock!