It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

orcishgamer: *blah blah blah whine whine whine*
Shalgroth: Don't lecture me about life, because I don't need it. I'm old enough, and I've made plenty of mistakes through out it to have learnt something from my experiences.

I'm not going to bother actually replying to what you wrote you.

But I will say this, if you're taking an analytical approach to what is a solely emotional thing, you're fucking doing it wrong. And honestly, do you even read what people write? "Find someone who accepts you for who you are, and do the same for them" - that IS realistic advice. I didn't say it would lead to a happily ever after scenario.

FFS man, I thought I was cynical and bitter, but you really take the cake in that department. Try and change your attitude.. For your own sake.
Finding someone who accepts you to have companionship with is something I agree with. For accusing me of not reading anyone's posts you seem to have ignored an awful lot of what I said.

Marriage isn't emotional, love may be, but marriage is a legal construct and as much as I might wish it otherwise (and apparently most of the world does as well) an analytical approach is the proper approach towards a legal construct. I never said "don't fall in love, you'll always get hurt", that's clearly not always true. I did say most marriages won't work out and many of the ones you claimed did "work" actually were fucking dysfunctional (some even abusive). That is the terrible odds of which I was speaking, and an ending marriage carries a far, far higher cost than an ending relationship.

If you're not willing to reply to my points, what is the point of replying at all?

Also you cherry picked the words from your previous posts with which I already agreed, not the ones with which I took issue.
I remember telling you folks about my ex (unmarried) that tried to take me to court over what was basicaly her saying gimmy all you money and stuff, if we'd been married she would have probly got some if not all of what she wanted. Let me tell you, i love my current partner but if she mentions that M word im gonna hide.
Its not that i think she'd try the same, its just im a hoarder and as far as im conserned my stuff stays mine. Marrage in my mind contradicts that and so ah dinny leik it, (a bit of the local spelling for you there)
reaver894: Ditto man 10 to 4 int he morning and to add insult to injury i just managed to snap my glasses in half.
Not happy, I liked those frames and theyre discontinued now. Gonna have the added expence of new frame at a minimum. Thats gonna push my new gpu even further back. I mean its no use if i cant see whats on the screen without being 3 inches away from it.
Hate going to bed grumpy, means ill be crabbit when i get up.
GameRager: Time to get out the tape? :brofist:

I've lost many a pair of glasses due to an arm snapping off or the frame breaking in the middle so many times i've come up with some "inventive" ways to put them back together.
I could use a bit of solder but it would look like crap and my soldering aint very good. The snap is at the nose arc about 2 mil from the right lense ( rimless glasses) so apart from the soldering iron and a bit of black spraypaint, i think the only other option is replacing them
Post edited February 23, 2011 by reaver894
Just realized I screwed up my college application. I already have a university degree so I figured getting in a college program would be no challenge at all.

I received a letter almost a month ago with further instructions on the application process. It said something like:

1. Complete the program questionnaire on the page www.*******
2. Submit 2 references - one work-related, one academic-related.
3. Mail the questionnaire/references to the college
That link looks familiar - looks like the link to the program page, which I've already been to and therefore will be able to find easily. No need to type that long address out! Aha - a link to the questionnaire. Fill it out, mail it out with the 2 reference letters I just got from my boss and university professor, boo-ya! I'm soooo in!

Yet... still no word. So just now I decided to look over the website that the letter sent me to again. This time I typed in the address.

There, below the 'Applicant questionnaire', was another link: 'Application reference form'. Only then did I piece together the fact that they didn't want written letters from my references (what I've provided), but rather they wanted them to fill out a pretty long questionnaire form. Apparently there was a microscopic difference in the address that I wasn't aware of earlier - this is a newer version of the same page, updated for the upcoming semester.

I'm trying to find the words for the email I need to send to them right now... it's a pretty difficult process. I sure hope I don't have to get my references to do that additional questionnaire. I didn't know my prof that well to begin with, so I REALLY don't want to tell her 'hey... I messed up, please fill out this long questionnaire for me because your letter wasn't what they were looking for.'

Also, my backup college has already accepted me, but I don't really want to go there. However, the deadline for my decision is the 25th, i.e. within 50 hours.

There are also some other things that depends on this which I won't bore you with, but basically I NEED an answer from that college ASAP.

AHHHH! Serenity now! Serenity now!!!
Post edited February 23, 2011 by GoJays2025
deathknight1728: Im not asking my parents to fight the battle for me, my dad just happens to have connections with someone on the board of directors. If I can mess up this asshole's life for crossing me and humiliating me, Im all for it. Im not really an aggressive person, but....when people do piss me off, i dont forget it.
You are probably a really nice guy... I like to think the best about people I don't know. But if you think trying to get a guy fired, that is, taking away his livelihood and his ability to pay his mortgage, to raise his own kids, maybe destroying his marriage, so on and so forth, is an appropriate response to being offended by something he said in class, then you still have some maturing to do...

Let go of the stuff that's just bullshit. You're gonna need that energy for the real stuff that hasn't come yet.
MGShogun: *is mumbling to himself*

22 years to recover from financial ruin of divorce. 22 years, man.

Maybe I will do the commitment ceremony instead. I'm just not liking the variables of the marriage at all.

To stay on topic, my right arm is all sore from cutting the grass in the backyard. I cannot even eat the meal with right arm. Frak! X.X
If you marry, you will regret it. If you do not marry, you will also regret it. Whether you marry or you do not marry, you will regret both.

To stay on topic, at least you have grass now, a lot is still under snow here. I wish I could just hibernate like a bear does during winter, then I wouldn't get depressed every year. Then again, winter is when I have time to do most of my game-playing.
GameRager: What are you studying to become btw?
I want to be involved in video production. I'm hoping to have a chance to try it all; shooting, editing, post-process, all that. I already have a few internships I'm applying for over the summer, but I haven't declared my major or started any specific courses for my major yet. I'm only a second-semester freshman, so there's no rush.

In the end, it's probably best I didn't go to a trade school like Full Sail. Trade schools are only two years, but from what I've heard they're the worst two years of your life, and graduation only qualifies you for the specific job in your field.
Oh, goody goody - my turn!

Dad, who has never been particularly close to us kids (and vice verse) is getting to the age where medical issues are a near-daily thing to deal with. 40+ years of not taking care of himself led to type II diabetes, a bunch of micro-strokes several years back followed by a moderate stroke (he regained most function but it slowed him down), a triple bypass with valve replacement surgery last year, and another small stroke last month. Yay.

He has some mental twist that keeps him from making progress in life. Smart guy, completely capable of doing whatever he's wanted, but whenever things get settled and he's starting to make progress, he sells off most of his meager amount of crap and moves someplace else. He usually bounces between the US southwest (where his favorite kid, an older sister of mine, lives) and the Midwest (where my brother and I live). My brother and I dealt with the first strokes, my sister was there for the heart surgery and recovery, and now he's back up here where he had this latest stroke. These moves happen about every 6 - 18 months, and he's actually about due to head back down to live near my sister. Complains about the cold up here and how it affects his bones and joints, and complains about the dust and heat down there. And always manages to move up here just before winter or move down there just before the heat and wind of summer. Never learns...

Anyway, I think this last stroke has caused some cognitive problems. His decision-making his been screwy (screwier than normal ; ) ) since then, and he's definitely slowed-down further. Fortunately, an old girlfriend of his has moved to the same building and is sort of watching him day-to-day. She and us kids aren't a great fit but we're certainly thankful for the help she's giving, and we are getting along better these - likely from necessity. Anyway, she sees the day-to-day stuff and we get periodic calls between our visits that he's done this or that dumb thing.

Great. So my brother and I got him to agree to medical and financial powers-of-attorney to help him take care of his affairs should he become incapacitated. It's not complicated stuff since he's on a fixed income and has few expenses; meanwhile, we've been accompanying him to some of the more important doctor visits to try to make sure the doctors get the correct details from Dad. This is harder than it sounds because his girlfriend sometimes gets things wrong (or emphasizes the wrong thing), and Dad simply won't tell you anything unless you ask pointedly. So we're stuck having to know what to ask without knowing what the issues may be... because he won't tell us. And even when we DO know what to talk with him about, it's no guarantee we'll get a truthful answer. Frustrating.

The girlfriend called a couple weeks back and said he had his insulin crap all messed up so his blood sugar went really haywire. This, in turn, screwed up the decision-making abilities. And he has internet access. Nothing good can come of this. Shortly after the stroke, he decided, at age 72, that it was time to get a degree. So he gets hooked in by an online university (fortunately, a major reputable one) and talks to them about criminal justice. And they kept calling to get the ball rolling on enrollment. See, Dad finally decides that his fixed-income life, which he's been on for a solid decade or more, could use an income boost. The girlfriend called and said (she's trying to keep him from knowing that she's passing on info) that he was supposed to have a phone interview with the school one morning. I made an excuse to be there and told him afterward that while advanced education is certainly a noble goal, nobody is going to hire, at age 72, for security or criminal justice, a guy using a cane and walker, with no experience, who doesn't even bother wearing his dentures. Now, Dad, if you want to pursue this as an intellectual exercise (he says he's always been interested in that field) then that's fine and we support that, but don't sign up for expensive classes with some mistaken belief that this is going to lead to a career and a more comfortable lifestyle.

So he recovered a bit from the stroke and got off that kick once the brain started working better. It was at this point that we decided we should get powers-of-attorney while he's still legally able to authorize it. It took a while to get them processed so, in the meantime, we went to the bank to put me on as a joint account owner. I needed this for a few days in case something happened before the PoA came through.

Well, as soon as the paperwork came in, my brother and I zipped over to get it signed and get myself taken back off his banking account. As it turns out, this was just in the nick of time. A few days later is when he got the insulin all screwed up and his brain went goofy again. Enter the internet again. The girlfriend called to tell us about the blood sugar problem (that got fixed after a visit to the doctor) and that he was back to worrying about his income. This time, he's contacting work-at-home websites, but these are the ones that pop up as ads on news sites and such - you know, the really reputable ones. LOL <sigh>

I made another excuse for a surprise visit but stopped by the bank first and got his account statement, fearing the worst. Sure enough, there are some charges that shouldn't be there and that I couldn't identify - a couple looked okay but at least two looked odd and, well, scammy. I talked to the banker and told her my concerns: someone scams him, he gives up account and routing numbers, and then it's all over. She says he used his debit card for the charges and there's nothing the bank can do about them. So I march on over to chew out Dad.

Sat down with them and explained that these places do not give a damn about him and all they want is his money. I made him explain what the charges were and he couldn't identify a couple of them. One was for some useless online TV service. To paraphrase the conversation, "Dad, if you want to watch TV online (he already has cable), there are a bazillion places to watch for free - and they're completely legal [mentioned hulu and the networks' own streaming stuff as examples]. I really wish you'd call me so I can check out this stuff before sign your life away with some contract you didn't bother reading. I don't want you pissing away your money but if it's something you really want and if it checks out, then I'll tell you that it's okay." Got the smile and nod, but we'll see how that goes. Another charge was for the work-at-home service. "Dad, you've been in and out of the working world for about 50 years. How many of those jobs required you to pay THEM money in order to work?" "A couple of them." "Oh, bullshit, Dad. Did the Air Force require $39.95 a month? The railroad? The apartment complex you worked for?" "No." "So, Dad, you see where I'm coming from? It is a rip-off" Another nod - no idea if it got through.

After that visit - and I told the banker the same thing - I was counting my lucky stars for getting my name off his account just in time. I could see him agreeing to some $600 a month service, or buying a 'high-quality' $2,000 computer that's worth about $150, and I'd be on the hook for it since he can't afford that crap. On the plus side, when my brother and I picked him up for an appointment yesterday, he and his grilfriend handed me a printed copy of a phishing scam and I immediately explained to them how they work and to never reply to these "bank" e-mails. He seemed to understand but all it will take is one mistake with the meds and then who knows what he'll bite on?

Anyway, apparently now we're dealing with incontinence. Friggin' wonderful. He won't admit that there's a problem so apparently I need to have a 'tough love' conversation with him in the next few days, and also get with his doctor to see if the meds are causing it or if it's simply something that comes from stroking out a few times - you know, permanent damage to part of the brain. If anything, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and pushes his girlfriend away. And then we're a bit hosed.

The problem is that we don't want to control his life, but we also don't want to see him make these stupid mistakes and spiral into fiscal and medical problems. It sometimes feels like dealing with the kid I never had; on the other hand you can ground and punish your kids. I'm trying to avoid sugar-coating anything since that doesn't seem to work at all. My brother and I are having a bit of a problem trying to figure out how much of his decision-making to take away. This is an adult who made his own bed and has to sleep in it, but it's also my dad. He's stubborn enough that he may just rebel, do his own thing, and end up pushing away his girlfriend. She's followed him a few times, and even went down south to help with the recovery after his heart surgery. Only so much one can take, tho, and he may be skirting that line with her. Gonna be tricky to explain this to him without making it sound like we're 'ganging-up' on him, treating him like a kid, or that he's a bother in our lives. If he takes it the wrong way then it's possible he'll shut us out and that's that.
Post edited February 24, 2011 by HereForTheBeer
orcishgamer: Finding someone who accepts you to have companionship with is something I agree with. For accusing me of not reading anyone's posts you seem to have ignored an awful lot of what I said.
Actually, I did that just the once. Purely because you argue semantics and often really don't seem to get the point of what the other person is saying.

orcishgamer: Marriage isn't emotional, love may be, but marriage is a legal construct and as much as I might wish it otherwise (and apparently most of the world does as well) an analytical approach is the proper approach towards a legal construct. I never said "don't fall in love, you'll always get hurt", that's clearly not always true. I did say most marriages won't work out and many of the ones you claimed did "work" actually were fucking dysfunctional (some even abusive). That is the terrible odds of which I was speaking, and an ending marriage carries a far, far higher cost than an ending relationship.
You're choosing to see the worst case scenario, and you're basing it purely on what? Personal experience and national statistics? Different cultures, different socioeconomical backgrounds and a whole host of variables play a role. Shit, even bad choices, of which a lot of us make.

Marriage, though legally binding if you want to see it that way, isn't a business arrangement. If one is to approach marriage with that at the forefront of their mind then by all means, do not get married, as it's missing the point altogether.

Though in fact you didn't say "don't fall in love, you'll always get hurt", you did say to stick around while it's fun and hightail when it's not. That is something that left me profoundly gobsmacked. And that is a reason for such high divorce rates. If both parties aren't willing to put in the effort to solve their differences, why did they marry in the first place? Especially if it's a personality, or lifestyle difference. So we could probably add 'idiocy' to the list of reasons for divorce.

Keep in mind that you don't know what marriages I'm claiming to have worked. Take note of the different countries we live in, also take not that I didn't mention any high profile names. The "dysfunctional" and "abusive" relationship statement might be true in the cases you are thinking of, but not the ones that I have in mind.

orcishgamer: Also you cherry picked the words from your previous posts with which I already agreed, not the ones with which I took issue.
No proof, never happened? I read all of your posts in reply to MGshotgun, up until the one for this which I skimmed and promptly ignored when it was effectively the same thing over and over.

The only reason I even bothered to reply to your inital post was because I was appalled by the advice you gave. If it's working for you, hey, keep on doing that with your life, but keep in mind that it wouldn't work for a lot of people. (different strokes for different folks, etc)

That's the last I'm going to say on the matter, so, good luck with that.
HereForTheBeer: Oh, goody goody - my turn!

Dad, who has never been particularly close to us kids (and vice verse) is getting to the age where medical issues are a near-daily thing to deal with. 40+ years of not taking care of himself led to type II diabetes, a bunch of micro-strokes several years back followed by a moderate stroke (he regained most function but it slowed him down), a triple bypass with valve replacement surgery last year, and another small stroke last month. Yay.

He has some mental twist that keeps him from making progress in life. Smart guy, completely capable of doing whatever he's wanted, but whenever things get settled and he's starting to make progress, he sells off most of his meager amount of crap and moves someplace else. He usually bounces between the US southwest (where his favorite kid, an older sister of mine, lives) and the Midwest (where my brother and I live). My brother and I dealt with the first strokes, my sister was there for the heart surgery and recovery, and now he's back up here where he had this latest stroke. These moves happen about every 6 - 18 months, and he's actually about due to head back down to live near my sister. Complains about the cold up here and how it affects his bones and joints, and complains about the dust and heat down there. And always manages to move up here just before winter or move down there just before the heat and wind of summer. Never learns...

Anyway, I think this last stroke has caused some cognitive problems. His decision-making his been screwy (screwier than normal ; ) ) since then, and he's definitely slowed-down further. Fortunately, an old girlfriend of his has moved to the same building and is sort of watching him day-to-day. She and us kids aren't a great fit but we're certainly thankful for the help she's giving, and we are getting along better these - likely from necessity. Anyway, she sees the day-to-day stuff and we get periodic calls between our visits that he's done this or that dumb thing.

Great. So my brother and I got him to agree to medical and financial powers-of-attorney to help him take care of his affairs should he become incapacitated. It's not complicated stuff since he's on a fixed income and has few expenses; meanwhile, we've been accompanying him to some of the more important doctor visits to try to make sure the doctors get the correct details from Dad. This is harder than it sounds because his girlfriend sometimes gets things wrong (or emphasizes the wrong thing), and Dad simply won't tell you anything unless you ask pointedly. So we're stuck having to know what to ask without knowing what the issues may be... because he won't tell us. And even when we DO know what to talk with him about, it's no guarantee we'll get a truthful answer. Frustrating.

The girlfriend called a couple weeks back and said he had his insulin crap all messed up so his blood sugar went really haywire. This, in turn, screwed up the decision-making abilities. And he has internet access. Nothing good can come of this. Shortly after the stroke, he decided, at age 72, that it was time to get a degree. So he gets hooked in by an online university (fortunately, a major reputable one) and talks to them about criminal justice. And they kept calling to get the ball rolling on enrollment. See, Dad finally decides that his fixed-income life, which he's been on for a solid decade or more, could use an income boost. The girlfriend called and said (she's trying to keep him from knowing that she's passing on info) that he was supposed to have a phone interview with the school one morning. I made an excuse to be there and told him afterward that while advanced education is certainly a noble goal, nobody is going to hire, at age 72, for security or criminal justice, a guy using a cane and walker, with no experience, who doesn't even bother wearing his dentures. Now, Dad, if you want to pursue this as an intellectual exercise (he says he's always been interested in that field) then that's fine and we support that, but don't sign up for expensive classes with some mistaken belief that this is going to lead to a career and a more comfortable lifestyle.

So he recovered a bit from the stroke and got off that kick once the brain started working better. It was at this point that we decided we should get powers-of-attorney while he's still legally able to authorize it. It took a while to get them processed so, in the meantime, we went to the bank to put me on as a joint account owner. I needed this for a few days in case something happened before the PoA came through.

Well, as soon as the paperwork came in, my brother and I zipped over to get it signed and get myself taken back off his banking account. As it turns out, this was just in the nick of time. A few days later is when he got the insulin all screwed up and his brain went goofy again. Enter the internet again. The girlfriend called to tell us about the blood sugar problem (that got fixed after a visit to the doctor) and that he was back to worrying about his income. This time, he's contacting work-at-home websites, but these are the ones that pop up as ads on news sites and such - you know, the really reputable ones. LOL <sigh>

I made another excuse for a surprise visit but stopped by the bank first and got his account statement, fearing the worst. Sure enough, there are some charges that shouldn't be there and that I couldn't identify - a couple looked okay but at least two looked odd and, well, scammy. I talked to the banker and told her my concerns: someone scams him, he gives up account and routing numbers, and then it's all over. She says he used his debit card for the charges and there's nothing the bank can do about them. So I march on over to chew out Dad.

Sat down with them and explained that these places do not give a damn about him and all they want is his money. I made him explain what the charges were and he couldn't identify a couple of them. One was for some useless online TV service. To paraphrase the conversation, "Dad, if you want to watch TV online (he already has cable), there are a bazillion places to watch for free - and they're completely legal [mentioned hulu and the networks' own streaming stuff as examples]. I really wish you'd call me so I can check out this stuff before sign your life away with some contract you didn't bother reading. I don't want you pissing away your money but if it's something you really want and if it checks out, then I'll tell you that it's okay." Got the smile and nod, but we'll see how that goes. Another charge was for the work-at-home service. "Dad, you've been in and out of the working world for about 50 years. How many of those jobs required you to pay THEM money in order to work?" "A couple of them." "Oh, bullshit, Dad. Did the Air Force require $39.95 a month? The railroad? The apartment complex you worked for?" "No." "So, Dad, you see where I'm coming from? It is a rip-off" Another nod - no idea if it got through.

After that visit - and I told the banker the same thing - I was counting my lucky stars for getting my name off his account just in time. I could see him agreeing to some $600 a month service, or buying a 'high-quality' $2,000 computer that's worth about $150, and I'd be on the hook for it since he can't afford that crap. On the plus side, when my brother and I picked him up for an appointment yesterday, he and his grilfriend handed me a printed copy of a phishing scam and I immediately explained to them how they work and to never reply to these "bank" e-mails. He seemed to understand but all it will take is one mistake with the meds and then who knows what he'll bite on?

Anyway, apparently now we're dealing with incontinence. Friggin' wonderful. He won't admit that there's a problem so apparently I need to have a 'tough love' conversation with him in the next few days, and also get with his doctor to see if the meds are causing it or if it's simply something that comes from stroking out a few times - you know, permanent damage to part of the brain. If anything, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and pushes his girlfriend away. And then we're a bit hosed.

The problem is that we don't want to control his life, but we also don't want to see him make these stupid mistakes and spiral into fiscal and medical problems. It sometimes feels like dealing with the kid I never had; on the other hand you can ground and punish your kids. I'm trying to avoid sugar-coating anything since that doesn't seem to work at all. My brother and I are having a bit of a problem trying to figure out how much of his decision-making to take away. This is an adult who made his own bed and has to sleep in it, but it's also my dad. He's stubborn enough that he may just rebel, do his own thing, and end up pushing away his girlfriend. She's followed him a few times, and even went down south to help with the recovery after his heart surgery. Only so much one can take, tho, and he may be skirting that line with her. Gonna be tricky to explain this to him without making it sound like we're 'ganging-up' on him, treating him like a kid, or that he's a bother in our lives. If he takes it the wrong way then it's possible he'll shut us out and that's that.
Wow. Thats a toughie. It may be out of line to suggest this but have you had a chat with his girlfriend to see the lay of the land with her. It may be that shes ok with it and that your further stressing yourself when there is no need. As for how much decision making to take away. Thats even harder. Id say as much as is needed but that is useless as its dependant on so many variables. Are there any health/age concern charitys you could speak to for advice?
MGShogun: My friend decide to sever the whole friendship so I'm not happy about that because I tried my best to help him out whenever I could. It's shame that he suffered from emotional issues and is preoccupied in pursuing the girls instead of letting it happen naturally.

What a damn shame, I was the one whose champion so hard for him in the past.
Damuna: If you're lucky, he'll come back once he realises he's been a fool. So, don't write him off just yet, just wait.
Wow, you're right about that he will come back. I'm thankful that I didn't write him off at all and we establish the dialogue after the certain event so I'm very happy about it. But I'll take it step at a time and I'll do my best to be there for him.
MGShogun: Wow, you're right about that he will come back. I'm thankful that I didn't write him off at all and we establish the dialogue after the certain event so I'm very happy about it. But I'll take it step at a time and I'll do my best to be there for him.
That's great to hear, I hope things go well for you.

Well, I guess I was going to post here anyway.

I am homeless. Again.
Damuna: I am homeless. Again.
? :/

... so I got this non-paying job as a demonstrator for Office 2010 and Windows 7 at my university. I'll be talking about the products 2 hours per week. "My" students are guys and girls from the Faculty of Economics, and "apparently" they don't give a damn about what I'm talking about.

Today was the first lecture. Its hard to keep the discipline high. Its like dealing with high school brainiacs.
Its kind of overshadowed by other peoples problems but i though i would give a little update.

I went to see about repairing my glasses this morning so went to my usual place. They said they could order a replacement bridge and fit it and it would take a couple of days, fair enough i though (found my spare pair so it wasnt bad)
Anyhow they go to price it and come back with a price. I almost fell over £210.90.

I think its safe to say i collected my bust specs and walked out. After it had sunk in i went into the opticians next door. They admitted they couldnt fix them but had a very similar frame. They had a close look and announced the lenses are 99% certain to fit properly and that the frame was just under 60£.

In short i think ive found a new optician, i only use them for ordering the physical parts, i get my eyes tested at a specialist private place cause i have an extremely complex prescription and whenever ive had them done on the highstreet via nhs its never been right. I guess they just arnt able to factor in the variables with my eyesight. I have to get the prescription and a bloody letter to get forwarded on to the lense manufacturers
I finished college on December 12. My graduate school doesn't start until June or July. I'm still out of work, and getting the run-around from places that accepted my application (at the restaurant I was hired to bus tables at, I was told I had never been hired and the woman I spoke to strongly suggested I was trying to sneak in to work). I've had an application in to work as a substitute teacher for the Board of Education in our county, but I can't even get a straight answer on whether my application was accepted. I've got to hit the streets again and try all the fast food places.

On the other hand, I am richly blessed in that my parents are letting me live in my old room until I start grad school. I just feel kind of worthless right now mooching off of them.
HereForTheBeer: <snip> the novella I wrote.
reaver894: Wow. Thats a toughie. It may be out of line to suggest this but have you had a chat with his girlfriend to see the lay of the land with her. It may be that shes ok with it and that your further stressing yourself when there is no need. As for how much decision making to take away. Thats even harder. Id say as much as is needed but that is useless as its dependant on so many variables. Are there any health/age concern charitys you could speak to for advice?
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to get with both of them today and lay it out. Instead of her tiptoeing around the issue (so she doesn't feel like she's spying on him), I'm going to tell him that we've specifically asked her to look after him and tell us when things are out of whack. That way, if he gets upset about it in some manner, he can blame us kids and not her.

You're certainly right about the stress. I know this is less than a lot of folks deal with when it comes to geriatric issues, but it's a bit of a new reality for us at this point and we're still feeling our way around it. Doesn't help that he moves all the time and we need to catch up on all the stuff that we missed during the latest absence...

We're lucky enough to deal with the VA on this (I gotta take back a bunch of things I may have said about the organization in the past - they've certainly done well by him) and they've been pretty quick and thorough.