It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: Back on the subject of tiredness, is Europe having the same seemingly endless winter the States is having?
There was very little snow for about three days here (central Europe) and nothing else. Not even rain. Today it was it was 32°C in the sunshine here. So no, in no way. :-)
So, my major requires an internship for graduation.
Turns out, internships in my major "highly recommend" having reliable transportation.

This can be considered a form of classism. But then again, so is having to dress professionally during job interviews.

Atleast I'm still alive.
yarow12: So, my major requires an internship for graduation.
Turns out, internships in my major "highly recommend" having reliable transportation.

This can be considered a form of classism. But then again, so is having to dress professionally during job interviews.

Atleast I'm still alive.
reliable transportation = own car?

Atleast I'm still alive.
Soccorro: reliable transportation = own car?
Yes, unless you live in San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Jersey City or Boston.
Everywhere else, there is no reliable public transportation so people have no choice but to buy cars, maintain them and constantly buy fuel which = more $$$ for a handful of people. And in order to drive that car, you have to have car insurance and in some states, car insurance isn't cheap.
Post edited March 10, 2014 by monkeydelarge
Soccorro: reliable transportation = own car?
monkeydelarge: Yes, unless you live in San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Jersey City or Boston.
Everywhere else, there is no reliable public transportation so people have no choice but to buy cars, maintain them and constantly buy fuel which = more $$$ for a handful of people. And in order to drive that car, you have to have car insurance and in some states, car insurance isn't cheap.
Neither are jobs.
monkeydelarge: Yes, unless you live in San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Jersey City or Boston.
yarow12: Neither are jobs.
True.

Atleast I'm still alive.
AKA the last intern we had was always late and blamed his tardiness on his piece of shit car. Most jobs now a days require reliable transportation.
Usually those that list it are the ones either with former employees that were never on time or those that want you to use your vehicle for the business...a majority of those will reimburse for mileage, those that don't avoid like the plague. Even those that do, I tend to avoid because the mileage is not going to take in to account the wear and tear on my vehicle...just gas mileage.
Tyre shopping sucks, atlhough in hindsight I probably should've taken my spare with me for reference. I ended up buying something slightly uncomfortably expensive, too extreme for my needs (for which I have only myself to thank), and ready for tubeless set-up which I don't use (which I probably should've noticed in the shop, but the seller could also have mentioned thank you very much). Yeah, I've got the receipt but still.
Got hired and fired during the same day... They make me do all the work and wait 8 hours to tell me "nah, you don't fit into my team"
Soccorro: Got hired and fired during the same day... They make me do all the work and wait 8 hours to tell me "nah, you don't fit into my team"
They probably just hired you for those 8 hours...
Soccorro: Got hired and fired during the same day... They make me do all the work and wait 8 hours to tell me "nah, you don't fit into my team"
Did you get a paycheck for those eight hours?
tinyE: Did you get a paycheck for those eight hours?
nope. nothing. the work was extremely tiring, i nearly collapsed but not even a thank you, nothing.
tinyE: Did you get a paycheck for those eight hours?
Soccorro: nope. nothing. the work was extremely tiring, i nearly collapsed but not even a thank you, nothing.
Wait wait wait....isn't that illegal? They can't make you work for eight hours and then refuse to pay you unless it was mutually agreed upon before hand that you were doing it free of charge. I'm not sure about Germany but in the States if you get hired and then fired ten minutes later they still owe you a last paycheck. It may not be for very much but unless you were let go for setting fire to the establishment or killing a coworker they have to pay you.
Soccorro: nope. nothing. the work was extremely tiring, i nearly collapsed but not even a thank you, nothing.
tinyE: Wait wait wait....isn't that illegal? They can't make you work for eight hours and then refuse to pay you unless it was mutually agreed upon before hand that you were doing it free of charge. I'm not sure about Germany but in the States if you get hired and then fired ten minutes later they still owe you a last paycheck. It may not be for very much but unless you were let go for setting fire to the establishment or killing a coworker they have to pay you.
nope its personal leasing so you dont get anything for the first day. if they think they might need you after having watched you for a day, they can offer you a paid job. that is quite a problem here with leasing companies.. .oh he has worked for a day? allright fire him and get us another one for a day. unless your experience and skill is invaluable to the company this is what might hapen to you. but i did not want to do it actually. the work there was extremely dangerous and incredibly tiring. i woke up at 3am got there at 6am and was home at 5:30 pm.
But if you have a contract with a company, they can't even fire you without good reason, so they are a little bit too careful.
Post edited March 15, 2014 by Soccorro
tinyE: Wait wait wait....isn't that illegal? They can't make you work for eight hours and then refuse to pay you unless it was mutually agreed upon before hand that you were doing it free of charge. I'm not sure about Germany but in the States if you get hired and then fired ten minutes later they still owe you a last paycheck. It may not be for very much but unless you were let go for setting fire to the establishment or killing a coworker they have to pay you.
Soccorro: nope its personal leasing so you dont get anything for the first day. if they think they might need you after having watched you for a day, they can offer you a paid job. that is quite a problem here with leasing companies.. .oh he has worked for a day? allright fire him and get us another one for a day. unless your experience and skill is invaluable to the company this is what might hapen to you. but i did not want to do it actually. the work there was extremely dangerous and incredibly tiring. i woke up at 3am got there at 6am and was home at 5:30 pm.
But if you have a contract with a company, they can't even fire you without good reason, so they are a little bit too careful.
That's why I said they probably just hired you for those 8 hours. They needed someone to be a slave for some project. Hopefully, your next employer won't be a douchebag.