It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dr.zli: how exactly did you see that they are the good guys? oO since we only see a dropship interior, their ranks and doors opening.
This movie will be shit :D
Vitek: That guy at the start has that armor too and he gets too much exposure to be some bad stormtrooper guy.
Of course he could have stolen the armor because he inflitrated Death Star to save his beloved imprisoned princess or something, but let's not guess too much. :-)
That's John Boyega part of main cast.
I am kind of worried to read anything about the new trilogy, or watch anything related to it. I am kinda fond of Mara Jade and others from the "canon" timeline which may any moment now get erased with a single pen stroke :(
Again, producers have felt that the original light sabre is not cool enough; they've got to add extra bits, a la Phantom Menace...
Breja: The thing is, a Star Trek movie can be many things- The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home... they are all very different. There is no one way of making a Star Trek movie. "Reinvention" is actually pretty much a norm for those movies. Star Wars is different, all those movies fall into a similar space opera/adventure category.
You've got a point when it comes to the movies, though I don't think any of them were as action-focused as the new ones. The reboot though was rebooting Star Trek as a whole, and nailed approximately 10% of what that franchise is about. I found it very disappointing.

It felt like Star Wars, which is good in a way since now JJ Abrams is on the right franchise.
Dzsono: Again, producers have felt that the original light sabre is not cool enough; they've got to add extra bits, a la Phantom Menace...
At first I wasn't too fond of the lightsabre in the teaser, but then a couple of random thoughts popped into my head.

One of the few things I really liked about the Phantom Menace was when Qui-Gon used his lightsabre to cut though the door to try to gain entry to the bridge of the trade federation spaceship, until those attack droids showed up. It showed that lightsabres were useful tools and not just weapons. One now realised that a Jedi with a lightsabre was virtually an unstoppable force and those trade federation guys were right to be so scared of them.

And then we had Darth Maul with his double-bladed sabre, which I didn't really have an issue with.

But looking back at all the Jedi in the films, all of them had standard lightsabres with the only difference being their colour scheme.

So perhaps, in the context of it being the Sith who pervert the original design of the Jedi's weapon, we are all right to get worked up at what they've done... the Sith that is... not Disney.

And perhaps one can take this all the way back to the original trilogy. Vader's lightsabre always looked longer to me than Obi-Wan's or Luke's, so maybe there were subtle differences with Sith-sabres already back then?
agogfan: Vader's lightsabre always looked longer to me than Obi-Wan's or Luke's, so maybe there were subtle differences with Sith-sabres already back then?
He was just compensating.

Breja: The thing is, a Star Trek movie can be many things- The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home... they are all very different. There is no one way of making a Star Trek movie. "Reinvention" is actually pretty much a norm for those movies. Star Wars is different, all those movies fall into a similar space opera/adventure category.
StingingVelvet: You've got a point when it comes to the movies, though I don't think any of them were as action-focused as the new ones. The reboot though was rebooting Star Trek as a whole, and nailed approximately 10% of what that franchise is about. I found it very disappointing.

It felt like Star Wars, which is good in a way since now JJ Abrams is on the right franchise.
The thing is, what worked for Star trek the tv show did not work as well for the movies. The Motion Picture is the one movie closest to the show, and as beautiful as it is to look at, and as good as the score is, it's not a very good movie. To be succesfull on the big screen Trek had to be reinvented way back in the 80's. Abrams' version is not inherently inferior, it's just another iteration. It got the characters right I think (for the most part), and that is as much as one can really expect from a blockbuster Trek movie. Karl Urban is almost scary in how close he is to DeForest Kelly. Scotty was really off in the first one, but I think he got much better in Into Darkness. I'm pretty sure that if the same cast and crew made a tv show it would be much closer to TOS than you may think, but the demands of feature lenght big screen movies weigh heavy.
Post edited November 30, 2014 by Breja
agogfan: Vader's lightsabre always looked longer to me than Obi-Wan's or Luke's, so maybe there were subtle differences with Sith-sabres already back then?
Breja: He was just compensating.
And not just his lightsabre. Darth Vader looks a lot taller than Anakin too... guess one of the advantages of being part cyborg.
Star Wars was already ruined by excessive CG. I can't imagine a movie made entirely of it in the wake of Gen Y and the typical popular movies they love (Hunger Games, Divergent, Twilight, the list goes on) and horrific remakes/demakes is going to even remotely hold a candle within lightyears of the originals. Thanks, but this helped me make up my mind to not spoil something great with atrocities such as this simply because someone isn't done wringing pennies out of it.
gamefood: No it's no hint, it's logical, when you think about it. They have to keep a logically timeline... First all is shiny and colorful (waving to new-gog developers cynically...). Then the revolution and the war and so the dirt came. Now all is broken and resources are expensive, the people have to clean up and so on...
real.geizterfahr: Well... 30 years after the death of the Emperor (that's when EP VII takes place), they could be back at "shiny" for a long time already, couldn't they? Have a look at Germany 30 years after the war. The Wirtschaftswunder ended in the early 70s and everything was new and shiny at that time. I don't think the direction that the trailer is hinting at was THAT clear ;)
It wasn't the direction of the trailer it was only my for err opinion ;)
Yeah you're right, they could be back with the old shinyness... buuuut I guess the empire was and is completely broken (imagine alone the costs of one and a half death stars) and all efforts are put into defending the revolution, the new freedom and all resources now are put into new X-Wings, maintaining the Falcon and big flying fridges :D

Edit: Concerning Germany... we will arrive to the dumb level soon (or already arrived?) Take a look e.g. on that prestige project BER, this crappy "airport" near Berlin... Nevertheless quite amusing the whole thing. :)
Post edited November 30, 2014 by gamefood
Vitek: That guy at the start has that armor too and he gets too much exposure to be some bad stormtrooper guy.
You neglect the indisputable fact that all the <i>Star Wars</i> 'movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down'.
Lemon_Curry: You neglect the indisputable fact that all the <i>Star Wars</i> 'movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down'.
Maybe it's the Shaft-trooper.
Honestly, the trailer looked awful... I've seen fan productions that were better than that.

On the bright side, if the movie is as bad as the trailer, maybe having some bad Star Wars movies will mean the trolls will stop complaining about the prequels (granted, III was only an above average action flick, but even that wasn't horrible).
My friend forwarded me the Crossguard Lightsaber which is canon but still seems to function better than the one is the trailer which seems very capable to stabbing the eyes out.

Well at least they're X-Wings in the trailer and no Jar Jar Binks.
hcollett: hi guys I only found out about this site today so i'm not sure if this is a good place to ask but I'm wanting to play star wars kotor, I have an old disk but couldn't get that to work on a windows 8 machine cos I'm not great with computers. I thought about getting it from steam but assumed I'd have the same problems, does anyone know if I buy it from gog will I still need to mess about with patches and all that or will it just install ready to play on windows 8.1? cheers
Well, this is a Star Wars themed thread, so your question is not too terrible here. :)
I had problems with the previous disc version as well and although I'm running Windows 7, the only problem I've had so far is a bizarre graphics problem in one location (which is correctable through changing graphics options). Outside of that, it runs very well. Also if you get it here, you will have no problems related to DRM because there isn't any here.
Post edited November 30, 2014 by ZapMcRaygunn
Episodes 4 - 6 were great, with 4&5 the best. 1 -3 were horrible. Just plain horrible, with 3 not being that bad.

As for the teaser trailer....seemed like there was more darkness than clips, and the when it was shown, not much was shown at all.

The graphics look good; however, that is not unexpected, given Disney has been known to spend hundreds of millions in a movie.

The one thing I can not figure out...why a December release? Why break tradition?

Still not sure if I would see it, as the prequels were painful. I may wait a few weeks to get a sense if it is worth it or not.