It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Potzato: Hehehe, Thanks for the laughs.

This lasercrossblade thing is really beyond ridiculous (from a sanity far far away I even dare say). I would have expected them to maintain some kind of fuzzy artistic license on the whole lightsaber thing, but nope they are breaking new grounds.
I'd agree, if one, the crossblade wasn't already canon in expanded universe, and two, it actually makes sense. Like, oh hey, let's not have a blade slide down and cut off my hands. It looks silly, but it actually makes more sense than some other things in Star Wars.
real.geizterfahr: Because the Empire is Nazi-Germany, Palpatine is Hitler and Humans are Arians. The Jedi are the Jews and the alien races are meant to do work that humans shouldn't have to do. Just have a look at the word "Storm"trooper, which means "Sturm"truppen (just read the first few phrases about the Sturmabteilung).

Star Wars took quite a few things from Nazi-Germany and WWII.
Vitek: And it makes one wonder, why they kept stormtroopers still around 30 years after defeat of Empire. It is not my original thought it comes from someone else on internet but why would New Republic keep the exact same armed forces with the same armor, symbol of the old oppresive Empire?
psst, it's the empire remnant that's using them ;)
real.geizterfahr: Because the Empire is Nazi-Germany, Palpatine is Hitler and Humans are Arians. The Jedi are the Jews and the alien races are meant to do work that humans shouldn't have to do. Just have a look at the word "Storm"trooper, which means "Sturm"truppen (just read the first few phrases about the Sturmabteilung).

Star Wars took quite a few things from Nazi-Germany and WWII.
Vitek: And it makes one wonder, why they kept stormtroopers still around 30 years after defeat of Empire. It is not my original thought it comes from someone else on internet but why would New Republic keep the exact same armed forces with the same armor, symbol of the old oppresive Empire?
Why do the British still have Beefeaters and Bear Skin hats. The Canadians Mounties and the USA still have the FBI?
It might all be the same thing. Keep a little of the old about to remind people of what once was. They may have just become ubiquitous with law enforcement / military gear.

Or the clones could have become the property of less corrupted / more corrupted individuals / corporations after the defeat of the Empire.

Or it could just be a carry over to give fans something to be excited over. After all they are probably more iconic to the series then Han, Leia, and every other goodie except Ja-Ja Binks, R2-D2 & C3PO.

Anyway I am just waiting to see Darth Vader / other Darth with Micky ears on. :D
dr.zli: psst, it's the empire remnant that's using them ;)
I thought of that but they don't seem like they are on the "bad" side in that trailer, so I dunno.
Is there even to be something like Remnant in new SW movie universe?
real.geizterfahr: ...
The ball droid seems to be running away from something and in the background you can see old and rotting parts of something that looks like an engine of a podracer (note that there are more broken and half buried parts behind the huge engine). After that scene, we get Stormtroopers, an old looking speeder with a horribly inefficient and bulky design (just like everything in the original trilogy looked like), X-Wings, the Millenium Falcon and some TIEs. This could be a small hint that they dumped the EP I-III look! Everything from the new trilogy is either rotting like the pod engines, or running away like that ball droid, because the look of the original trilogy is coming back ;)
No it's no hint, it's logical, when you think about it. They have to keep a logically timeline... First all is shiny and colorful (waving to new-gog developers cynically...). Then the revolution and the war and so the dirt came. Now all is broken and resources are expensive, the people have to clean up and so on...
Why they should return to the look of P I-III at all? That would be pretty unlogic. The makers have to put a lot care into the final trilogy, they don't produce any shitty Transformers-like crap. At least I hope that...
RandomJC: I'd agree, if one, the crossblade wasn't already canon in expanded universe, and two, it actually makes sense. Like, oh hey, let's not have a blade slide down and cut off my hands. It looks silly, but it actually makes more sense than some other things in Star Wars.
Oh I completely get the use of a "garde". I am just baffled by the "five bladed razors" logic applied to lightsabers. In the first starwars movie, there was llightsabers but they kept the disbelief in check by not stressing things too much.

Now they pull out micro saber parts. and it immediately call the question : wait, does it come in different shape ? I always thought it was a 'standard size' doubled or not, now you tell me they could make it shorter ? why not broader ? wider ? longer ? way way way longer to kill people from a safe distance ? I know I am being naïve, but Starwars annoys me because it has a great background, but it doesn't seem to care to throw 'unexplainable' things at the screen.
Vitek: I thought of that but they don't seem like they are on the "bad" side in that trailer, so I dunno.
They wiped the universe, so there's no telling. There used to be, though, and yes, they had Stormtroopers, TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers - the lot. They even survived and signed treaties with the NR.

Also, to reiterate, it's a teaser and not a trailer. It teased Stormtroopers, but we never got any hint where they were, who they were with, were they good/bad/neutral. We can only conjecture at this point, given what we know of Star Wars and Disney.

My personal conjecture would be that Disney will try to keep a simple good vs. evil storyline, therefore the faceless troops will likely be part of an evil imperial remnant. Not necessarily a bad setup (worked for the original), but I can only hope there's a tad more nuance to it. Still, pure conjecture. Also, I'm keeping it simple, so there's minimal disappointment ;)
I don't get the "too nostalgic" complaints at all. First off sequels should be sequels, if I go to a Star Wars movie it's because I want to see more Star Wars. This is what Star Trek 2009 messed up, trying to reinvent what a Star Trek movie is. Secondly after three abysmal prequels they need to show the old magic might be back.

Whole thing made my dick hard.
StingingVelvet: I don't get the "too nostalgic" complaints at all. First off sequels should be sequels, if I go to a Star Wars movie it's because I want to see more Star Wars. This is what Star Trek 2009 messed up, trying to reinvent what a Star Trek movie is. Secondly after three abysmal prequels they need to show the old magic might be back.

Whole thing made my dick hard.
and considering how old the Star Trek cast is they couldn't exactly do a sequel could they? They'd have to insure their hips before acting.
dr.zli: psst, it's the empire remnant that's using them ;)
Vitek: I thought of that but they don't seem like they are on the "bad" side in that trailer, so I dunno.
how exactly did you see that they are the good guys? oO since we only see a dropship interior, their ranks and doors opening.
This movie will be shit :D
Crosmando: What annoyed me about the end of the prequels is how the Imperial officers just appear out of nowhere, I mean if the Stormtroopers are all clones OK but where did the human officers come from? And if all Stormtroopers aren't clones why do they only recruit humans?
Elmofongo: Its been established that the stormtroopers are not the clones. Before Episode 4 The Empire decided to cancel and destroy the clone project since there are clones who were still loyal to the old republic.

I know I was there in Battlefront 2.
That belongs to the EU and has been discarded. If it isn't mentioned in the movies, it doesn't exist.
human officers are from the republic navy, who do you think crews all those saucy arbitrators?
Republic had a navy which belonged to a judical branch, it saw rapid expansion during the clone wars and incorporated various system and sector navies which were independent during the pre clone wars era.
Big thing before clone wars was that republic didn't need military or navy, policing duties and anti piracy duty was given to local forces. It all changed during the clone wars.

About stormtroopers - new genomes were introduced and at one point regular recruits were conscripted because Empire needed fresh meat for the grinder.
Post edited November 29, 2014 by dr.zli
dr.zli: how exactly did you see that they are the good guys? oO since we only see a dropship interior, their ranks and doors opening.
This movie will be shit :D
That guy at the start has that armor too and he gets too much exposure to be some bad stormtrooper guy.
Of course he could have stolen the armor because he inflitrated Death Star to save his beloved imprisoned princess or something, but let's not guess too much. :-)
StingingVelvet: This is what Star Trek 2009 messed up, trying to reinvent what a Star Trek movie is.
The thing is, a Star Trek movie can be many things- The Motion Picutre, Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home... they are all very different. There is no one way of making a Star Trek movie. "Reinvention" is actually pretty much a norm for those movies. Star Wars is different, all those movies fall into a similar space opera/adventure category.
gamefood: No it's no hint, it's logical, when you think about it. They have to keep a logically timeline... First all is shiny and colorful (waving to new-gog developers cynically...). Then the revolution and the war and so the dirt came. Now all is broken and resources are expensive, the people have to clean up and so on...
Well... 30 years after the death of the Emperor (that's when EP VII takes place), they could be back at "shiny" for a long time already, couldn't they? Have a look at Germany 30 years after the war. The Wirtschaftswunder ended in the early 70s and everything was new and shiny at that time. I don't think the direction that the trailer is hinting at was THAT clear ;)