It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Elmofongo: But what about the more "distinguished" Borg figures. Like Seven of Nine? (I just know the character exist, I don't know exactly who Seven of Nine is)
Nergal01: Hm, Seven of Nine is really nothing special until she encounters the Voyager crew. The Borg choose her to speak for them, that's about it. It's only after she is removed from the Collective that she becomes an individual again.
There were several Borg who gained or regained individual identities after being separated from the Collective. Picard himself went through it. There was also a 2-part episode dealing with splinter Borg being led by Lore. They behaved more as individuals, but I don't remember if they still had a connection with each other.

Until the movie, the most prominent Borg was Borgified Picard, used as a slightly autonomous avatar by the faceless Collective. The movie introduced the Queen and relied heavily on the idea of special personalities residing above the ordinary Borg. But the Queen was the only native Borg with a special identity and personality.

Voyager encountered a number of other ex-drones and interacted with the Collective and Queen many times. I'm not familiar with most of that material. My impression was the Queen was still the only Borg who was more than a drone, but that she was more aware of lingering personalities and aptitudes in each drone than previous takes on the Borg had implied.
Elmofongo: Hasn't Picard already became an Action during First Contact? Or heck an episode showed Picard being tortured. Action movie Styled.
Breja: If you're looking for the origins of Action Hero Picard I think that would be episode Starship Mine. That is basically Die Hard on the Enterprise.

Go Boldly or Die Hard.
Make it so, motherfucker.

In theaters this summer.
You know watching this many episodes of TNG makes me want to play Mass Effect.

I did not felt like this watching TOS or its movies.

Mass Effect certainly borrowed much from TNG.
Elmofongo: Mass Effect certainly borrowed much from TNG.
It borrowe way more from Babylon 5. Actually, let's not mince words, it ripped Babylon 5 off so bad, I'm kinda surprised no on sued them. And when it comes to Trek, I think they borrowed way more from Enterprise than TNG.
Post edited June 05, 2015 by Breja
Elmofongo: Mass Effect certainly borrowed much from TNG.
Breja: It borrowe way more from Babylon 5. Actually, let's not mince words, it ripped Babylon 5 off so bad, I'm kinda surprised no on sued them. And when it comes to Trek, I think they borrowed way more from Enterprise than TNG.
Thats it you convinced me to buy DVDs of Babylon 5.

It better live up to the hype as the most darkest, realistic, and epic portrayal of Sci Fi ever.
Elmofongo: Thats it you convinced me to buy DVDs of Babylon 5.

It better live up to the hype as the most darkest, realistic, and epic portrayal of Sci Fi ever.
I'm not sure it's "darkest". It's pretty dark sometimes, but it's not some grusome, depressing thing (well ok, sometimes it is, but only to an extent). And I would not call it realistic, it's much more fiction than science. It's kind of like a mix of Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Dune.

What it certainly is, is bloody brilliant.
Post edited June 05, 2015 by Breja
Elmofongo: Thats it you convinced me to buy DVDs of Babylon 5.

Breja: I'm not sure it's "darkest". It's pretty dark sometimes, but it's not some grusome, depressing thing (well ok, sometimes it is, but only to an extent). And I would not call it realistic, it's much more fiction than science. It's kind of like a mix of Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Dune.

What it certainly is, is bloody brilliant.
Well it certainly better live up to the hype.

Goddamn why can't the SYFY channel just broadcast these shows instead of making shit budgeted original movies.
Post edited June 05, 2015 by Elmofongo
Elmofongo: Well it certainly better live up to the hype.
I hope you'll find it does. I certainly think so, but one can never speak for others.

Just take care not to spoil anything for yourself. Don't google anything about it untill you've watched it, and if you buy a complete set, with movies and everything, don't watch the movie "In the Beginning" untill you see the whole show. It's a prequel, and it would spoil the whole thing for you. I always warn everyone, because the title can be misleading.
What is realistic about it is a lot of the physics. For example, the space station rotates to create artificial gravity. A lot of the ship combat maneuvers are space accurate. Apparently there were some fans of the show at NASA who were willing to answer specific questions. Now when it comes to the abilities of some of the alien races, this may not always be true.
Elmofongo: So I watch Q-Who? and saw the Borg as they were first introduced.

So the plot hole to a later movie is that the Borg is suppose to be this single minded collective. It's faceless and uniform despite appearing in Humanoid forms.

Adding a "Borg Queen" destroys that concept of the Borg?
Breja: It's not a plot hole exactly- the Borg is still a collective, going by the movie the Borg Queen is not really a "person", and more a manifestation of the hive mind. It's more of a shift in how the Borg is portrayed rather than a plot hole. Only later in the last seasons of Voyager they really went too far with that, making the Queen too much like a single person in control of the collective. It's been a while since I've seen these episodes, but I remember being very dissapointed with how Voyager's last two seasons handled Borg. It was really good to see a more scary and "faceless" Borg return for Enterprise, even just for one episode.
Individuality in the collective occurred when a Borg was picked up in the episode "I, Borg" and then taught the ways of the crew, mostly from Geordi. When "Hugh" as he's named in the episode is picked up by the Borg, it acts as a virus screwing up the borg collective.
RWarehall: What is realistic about it is a lot of the physics. For example, the space station rotates to create artificial gravity. A lot of the ship combat maneuvers are space accurate. Apparently there were some fans of the show at NASA who were willing to answer specific questions. Now when it comes to the abilities of some of the alien races, this may not always be true.
if somebody wants realism in a scifi movie i tend to point towards 2001
Elmofongo: Well it certainly better live up to the hype.
Breja: I hope you'll find it does. I certainly think so, but one can never speak for others.

Just take care not to spoil anything for yourself. Don't google anything about it untill you've watched it, and if you buy a complete set, with movies and everything, don't watch the movie "In the Beginning" untill you see the whole show. It's a prequel, and it would spoil the whole thing for you. I always warn everyone, because the title can be misleading.
So I just finished watching season 2 of TNG. Starting to get better. Of course Measure of a Man, Q-Who? and Contagion were interesting.

But the final episode? I knew about the writer strike you told me about, I did not expect it happened this soon in the series. (Shades of Grey)

Well I am not to upset about it because Anime have been doing "Re-Cap" episdoes for awhile.
RWarehall: What is realistic about it is a lot of the physics. For example, the space station rotates to create artificial gravity. A lot of the ship combat maneuvers are space accurate. Apparently there were some fans of the show at NASA who were willing to answer specific questions. Now when it comes to the abilities of some of the alien races, this may not always be true.
snowkatt: if somebody wants realism in a scifi movie i tend to point towards 2001
I have admit. I think Star Trek is at its best when they deal with Space Politics and Intrigue rather than Space Exploration and adventure.

But of course that defeats the purpose of the name "Star Trek"

I just think Politics and Intrigue in Sci Fi is fascinating. Know any piece of Sci Fi that focuses on that?
Post edited June 05, 2015 by Elmofongo
Elmofongo: I have admit. I think Star Trek is at its best when they deal with Space Politics and Intrigue rather than Space Exploration and adventure.
Heh, I have a feeling that you're gonna like DS9 a lot. :)
Elmofongo: I have admit. I think Star Trek is at its best when they deal with Space Politics and Intrigue rather than Space Exploration and adventure.
Nergal01: Heh, I have a feeling that you're gonna like DS9 a lot. :)
The show has a story arc episode that lasted in 10 parts.

10 Part Episode!!??

That is what you call an epic.
Elmofongo: The show has a story arc episode that lasted in 10 parts.
10 Part Episode!!??
Yep, the finale and the episodes leading up to it consist of almost half a season. Admittedly, season 7 is the weakest season of DS9 but the final arc was alright again. Seasons 5 and 6 are connected by another arc that lasts seven episodes.

Just to get back to what you said earlier: space politics and intrigue are a frequent element of DS9. I'm also the type of Trekkie who prefers such stories over the straight up space adventure stories. I like Trek stories where the stakes are higher than merely the survival of one starship. The great powers of the galaxy interacting with each other, empires rising and falling, big conflict. That's my kind of Trek.
Elmofongo: The show has a story arc episode that lasted in 10 parts.
10 Part Episode!!??
Nergal01: Yep, the finale and the episodes leading up to it consist of almost half a season. Admittedly, season 7 is the weakest season of DS9 but the final arc was alright again. Seasons 5 and 6 are connected by another arc that lasts seven episodes.

Just to get back to what you said earlier: space politics and intrigue are a frequent element of DS9. I'm also the type of Trekkie who prefers such stories over the straight up space adventure stories. I like Trek stories where the stakes are higher than merely the survival of one starship. The great powers of the galaxy interacting with each other, empires rising and falling, big conflict. That's my kind of Trek.
If Deep Space 9 and Babylon 5 are 2 sides of the same coin than I wonder how Babylon 5 handles it's political intrigue.