It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: Like I said already few pages back, I like Generations a lot. Good plot, fine villain, great music. The only problem with that one is that it might feel a bit too much like a double episode, rather than a movie, but I don't mind that. If it feels that much like an episode, that means it fits the seires, so it's nota bad thing.

First Contact is the best of the TNG movies. It is very much an action movie, but a very, very good one. Here my only problem would be the introduction of the Borg Queen. It takes away from the faceless, machine like nature of the Borg. However, it's well explained and works well for the movie. It was only later in Voyager that they handled the concept poorly.

Insurrection seems to even more hated now than Nemesis, which I think was not the case a few years back, and honestly I don't get why it gets all that hate. It's not a great movie, but it's not bad either. There is an interesting conflict at it's centre, and it's just overall a well made, well acted action flick. And the music is great. Not my favourite, but I still like coming back to it sometimes.

Nemesis used to be the most hated, and here I am glad to see that the popular opinion shifted somewhat, as I alaways liked it. It's not a perfect goodbye for the TNG crew, but there is a lot here to like, even admire. We get the best space battle since the opening battle with the Borg in First Contact, maybe even since the Wrath of Khan, and one of the best villains in the movies ( I wonder if Tom Hardy's new found popularity is part of why this movie is now getting better opinions). There are some questionable choices, like the Mad Max-esque desert car chase which does not really serve much of a purpose, but it's made well enough to be simply fun to watch so I have no problem with it.
Now that is simply not true. Yes, we do get Khan again, but the overall story isn't much like Wrath at all.
as usual i am going to buck the trend ^^

of the tng movies i think generations is the best
its a bit uneven but still fits quite well with the series it self

i dont like first contact
its a solid movie but i just dislike several conceits of the movie
most notable how easy it is to time travel
the borg time jump comes over as easy and the enterprise time jump isnt presented as anything unusual either

time travel should be a big deal it has immense weapon potential and far reaching conclusions and nobody bats an fucking eyelid in first contact over it
its presented as mundane and easy
and time travel as a whole doesnt even play a role in star trek as a whole
if its so easy why doesnt it play a bigger role ?
its just a bloody plot contrivance and its damn obvious in first contact and i hate that

i also dont like how the tng crew is injected in a historical event but i always dislike that
we dont need the name characters for an event to be significant

i think inssurection is so hated is because its so BORING
the threat is vauge and the enemies diffuse
there just isnt a whole lot to the movie
the centre conflict is interesting there just isnt anything done with it
and what surrounds it is boring

i rather like nemesis as well
but i think the reputation of the movie was so bad because the director was ignorant of the source material and the actors involved
and some of the actors involved bad mouthed the movie as well

"LeVar Burton is on record as having said that the film "sucked". [13] Marina Sirtis backed him up by criticizing Stuart Baird for not watching a single episode of The Next Generation. According to Burton and several other members of the main cast, Baird kept referring to LeVar as "Laverne" throughout production and thought the character of Geordi La Forge was an alien. "

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_Nemesis#Background_Information

i personally dont like the reboot movies
the stories have huge HUGE plot holes and dont get me started on the red matter ( 1 drop can destroy a whole planet but the whole thing is ignited and the narada just stays there for 20 fucking minutes instead of being crushed like a soda can in 2 seconds flat )
but that is a rant for another day
snowkatt: i dont like first contact
its a solid movie but i just dislike several conceits of the movie
most notable how easy it is to time travel
the borg time jump comes over as easy and the enterprise time jump isnt presented as anything unusual either

time travel should be a big deal it has immense weapon potential and far reaching conclusions and nobody bats an fucking eyelid in first contact over it
its presented as mundane and easy
and time travel as a whole doesnt even play a role in star trek as a whole
if its so easy why doesnt it play a bigger role ?
its just a bloody plot contrivance and its damn obvious in first contact and i hate that
I get what you are saying, I did not escape me either, but I never let it bother me. First of all, it's not even the first time in Trek for that, Voyage Home sets the precedence in movies, and there are episodes even before that. But most of all it's a case of "we have a really good script, a really good movie. will it really be better if we spend half an hour on making the time jum itself?" It's kind of like I don't argue the science behind Peter Parker getting his powers, and don't expect or want to dwell on that issue. It makes no sense if you think about it, but in sci-fi movies sometimes we just have to accept some parts of the set-up, if the plot is to ever get going. The important thing is whether the rest of the movie is good enough to make such suspension of disbelief worth it. In the case of First Contact, I think it definately is.
Post edited June 04, 2015 by Breja
@snowkatt

I know the difference between Android/Cyborgs and True Robots.
Elmofongo: @snowkatt

I know the difference between Android/Cyborgs and True Robots.
others might not

and i dont mean cyborgs or androids

i mean true synthetic humans which is a much much much more interesting idea

ie a human being made from synthetic equivalents
the original human torch is the only one i can think of that even plays with the idea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Torch_%28android%29#Physiology

i find that idea just fascinating beyond the usual distinction of an android ie a mechanical being that only looks like a human instead of a synthetic recreation

the androids from blade runner look to be gene engineered clones to be at the peak of human efficiency

but as i said thats a discussion for a different topic ( and its been a while when i last saw blade runner )
Breja: I get what you are saying, I did not escape me either, but I never let it bother me. First of all, it's not even the first time in Trek for that, Voyage Home sets the precedence in movies, and there are episodes even before that. But most of all it's a case of "we have a really good script, a really good movie. will it really be better if we spend half an hour on making the time jum itself?" It's kind of like I don't argue the science behind Peter Parker getting his powers, and don't expect or want to dwell on that issue. It makes no sense if you think about it, but in sci-fi movies sometimes we just have to accept some parts of the set-up, if the plot is to ever get going. The important thing is whether the rest of the movie is good enough to make such suspension of disbelief worth it. In the case of First Contact, I think it definately is.
it does bother me to be honest mostly because like with the voyage home in comes out of nowhere
with the voyage home the jarring effect is mitigated because they are transported to an era we reconigse and most of the humor and success comes from the TOS cast adjusting to 20th century earth and seeing them interact with our world ( which hasnt changed that much from 1986 )

for me i just cant suspend my disbelief for fist contact enough to make it work
it probably doesnt really help that i dont really like the plot to begin with

oddly enough trials and tribbleations does work for me
though thats probably because the plot contrivance isnt hay gaiz lets go back in time and slingshot round the sun lulz !!111

which seems to be the impetuous for most of these time travels but a suitable vauge mystic device
and the plot was played up for laughs as well as a celebration of star trek in its own

the story in first contact is deadly serious and i just cant really get invested in it

and i dont like the borg they lost their bite and get defeated too easily
Post edited June 04, 2015 by snowkatt
Breja: I get what you are saying, I did not escape me either, but I never let it bother me. First of all, it's not even the first time in Trek for that, Voyage Home sets the precedence in movies, and there are episodes even before that. But most of all it's a case of "we have a really good script, a really good movie. will it really be better if we spend half an hour on making the time jum itself?" It's kind of like I don't argue the science behind Peter Parker getting his powers, and don't expect or want to dwell on that issue. It makes no sense if you think about it, but in sci-fi movies sometimes we just have to accept some parts of the set-up, if the plot is to ever get going. The important thing is whether the rest of the movie is good enough to make such suspension of disbelief worth it. In the case of First Contact, I think it definately is.
A little off-topic, but as to the Peter Parker thing...
I was a bit upset that at least one of the movies made it perfectly clear that only Peter Parker could have become Spiderman. To me, its best to leave it vague (like Dr. Who generally does with regards to time travel). Besides, leaving it vague leaves the childhood wonder alive. With some child believing he/she might get superpowers from a spider bite!
RWarehall: A little off-topic, but as to the Peter Parker thing...
I was a bit upset that at least one of the movies made it perfectly clear that only Peter Parker could have become Spiderman.
Well, that was Amazing Spider-Man 2, and that movie was an utter pile of crap. That was by far the lest of it's problems.
Elmofongo: I too think people are too hard on Nemesis and how dark its tone became. (More brutal fight scenes from what I have been told and saw in bits)

I guess I am just accepting for a more darker Star Trek.
Nemesis was ridiculously contrived and completed the TNG movie trend of butchering core characters instead of developing them. Action Hero Picard is not the Picard who grew so popular on the internet. The story shamelessly rips off as much as possible from Wrath of Khan and fills in the gaps with stupid or pointlessly unpleasant plot elements. It's a dark movie but it's hardly Star Trek. It felt stale and lifeless.
Elmofongo: I too think people are too hard on Nemesis and how dark its tone became. (More brutal fight scenes from what I have been told and saw in bits)

I guess I am just accepting for a more darker Star Trek.
wvpr: Nemesis was ridiculously contrived and completed the TNG movie trend of butchering core characters instead of developing them. Action Hero Picard is not the Picard who grew so popular on the internet. The story shamelessly rips off as much as possible from Wrath of Khan and fills in the gaps with stupid or pointlessly unpleasant plot elements. It's a dark movie but it's hardly Star Trek. It felt stale and lifeless.
Hasn't Picard already became an Action during First Contact? Or heck an episode showed Picard being tortured. Action movie Styled.
wvpr: Nemesis was ridiculously contrived and completed the TNG movie trend of butchering core characters instead of developing them. Action Hero Picard is not the Picard who grew so popular on the internet. The story shamelessly rips off as much as possible from Wrath of Khan and fills in the gaps with stupid or pointlessly unpleasant plot elements. It's a dark movie but it's hardly Star Trek. It felt stale and lifeless.
Elmofongo: Hasn't Picard already became an Action during First Contact? Or heck an episode showed Picard being tortured. Action movie Styled.
If you're looking for the origins of Action Hero Picard I think that would be episode Starship Mine. That is basically Die Hard on the Enterprise.

Go Boldly or Die Hard.
Make it so, motherfucker.

In theaters this summer.
Elmofongo: Hasn't Picard already became an Action during First Contact? Or heck an episode showed Picard being tortured. Action movie Styled.
Breja: If you're looking for the origins of Action Hero Picard I think that would be episode Starship Mine. That is basically Die Hard on the Enterprise.

Go Boldly or Die Hard.

In theaters this summer.
Have to admit.....I never seen the first Die Hard movie.
Up to a point, but Nemesis kept driving home the New Picard while not taking the supporting characters anywhere new or interesting.

No Star Trek series has been close to perfect, but the original series of movies figured out how to age the characters without losing what made them work as an ensemble. Next Generation movies increasingly felt like tired reunions instead of a confident step forward from their television roots.

Next Generation was at its best showing the crew working together as the Federation's finest to solve straightforward challenges. The movies tried too hard to deliver blockbuster defeat-the-villain action, and in doing so brought the show's weaknesses to the forefront.
Breja: If you're looking for the origins of Action Hero Picard I think that would be episode Starship Mine. That is basically Die Hard on the Enterprise.

Go Boldly or Die Hard.

In theaters this summer.
So I watch Q-Who? and saw the Borg as they were first introduced.

So the plot hole to a later movie is that the Borg is suppose to be this single minded collective. It's faceless and uniform despite appearing in Humanoid forms.

Adding a "Borg Queen" destroys that concept of the Borg?
Post edited June 04, 2015 by Elmofongo
Elmofongo: So I watch Q-Who? and saw the Borg as they were first introduced.

So the plot hole to a later movie is that the Borg is suppose to be this single minded collective. It's faceless and uniform despite appearing in Humanoid forms.

It's not a plot hole exactly- the Borg is still a collective, going by the movie the Borg Queen is not really a "person", and more a manifestation of the hive mind. It's more of a shift in how the Borg is portrayed rather than a plot hole. Only later in the last seasons of Voyager they really went too far with that, making the Queen too much like a single person in control of the collective. It's been a while since I've seen these episodes, but I remember being very dissapointed with how Voyager's last two seasons handled Borg. It was really good to see a more scary and "faceless" Borg return for Enterprise, even just for one episode.
Elmofongo: So I watch Q-Who? and saw the Borg as they were first introduced.

Breja: It's not a plot hole exactly- the Borg is still a collective, going by the movie the Borg Queen is not really a "person", and more a manifestation of the hive mind. It's more of a shift in how the Borg is portrayed rather than a plot hole. Only later in the last seasons of Voyager they really went too far with that, making the Queen too much like a single person in control of the collective. It's been a while since I've seen these episodes, but I remember being very dissapointed with how Voyager's last two seasons handled Borg. It was really good to see a more scary and "faceless" Borg return for Enterprise, even just for one episode.
But what about the more "distinguished" Borg figures. Like Seven of Nine? (I just know the character exist, I don't know exactly who Seven of Nine is)
Elmofongo: But what about the more "distinguished" Borg figures. Like Seven of Nine? (I just know the character exist, I don't know exactly who Seven of Nine is)
Hm, Seven of Nine is really nothing special until she encounters the Voyager crew. The Borg choose her to speak for them, that's about it. It's only after she is removed from the Collective that she becomes an individual again.