It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deals so good, you won't want to fall asleep.
You remember back when you used to walk into a store, browse the shelves, pick out a game, and then buy it--all in the actual real world? We don't know about you, but most of us at GOG.com have had our limbs atrophy to small vestigial nubbins since all of our shopping happens online these days. Of course, one thing that sometimes happens in real world stores with real world goods--particularly when they have a good sale--is that they run out of stock. Usually that means that the deal was so good that they couldn't keep up with demand.

Well, in the digital realm, this is usually pretty rare. How do you run out of stock on digital games, short of entropy devouring the universe? Well, we have gotten 101 games that will be on sale on the front page of GOG.com, but the discounts are so high at the moment that we can't just sell an unlimited number of copies of these games: we are only able to sell a few at these discounts--up to 80% off--and once they're gone, they're gone.

So what games will be on sale in our Insomnia promo? Bestselling classics and new games alike. There will also occasionally be some free games in super limited numbers (like, 20 or 30 copies)--if you're fast enough on the trigger finger to pick 'em up, that is. The deal will run from now until we're out of "stock" of games for the sale, and games may show up more than once. So it's time to bathe in a tub of coffee*, dip some espresso**, snort an energy drink***, or do whatever else it takes to stay up so you don't miss out on the best deals on fantastic games on GOG.com since summer.
*This is probably not a good idea
**This is definitely not a good idea
***This is totally safe, though****
****NO IT'S NOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY PERSON
Post edited November 13, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
Palidor12: The battle system. I don't enjoy it at all. The characters. Except for Sazh and Vanille, I find them to be dislikeable people. The extreme linearity of the game (I'm on Chapter 8). The radical departure from more traditional JRPGs (e.g., no towns to visit, no people to talk to, no sidequests, no real shops). The story is not interesting either.

I guess I was expecting FFXIII to be like all the past FF games, not something completely novel and different.
Donjo: Yeah, the battle system is definitely a bit polarizing. On the whole, some battles can really seem like a puzzle. What Paradigms do you need, and when do you need them? I personally liked that a lack of raw stats could be made up for by smart role choices.

You may have heard this already, but the game opens up significantly when you hit Chapter 11, and some sidequesty stuff actually starts to happen. Granted, there aren't many that deviate from "find this powerful monster and beat its face in", but they're there. It's during these tougher battles where the "puzzle" nature of the battle system really comes out. Even if you have the stats, you'll get pounded if you do it "wrong".

On the extreme linearity itself: The developers have been quoted as stating that the reason they did it that way was to put extra focus on the characters and the story. As you can see, it largely backfired. They even save the biggest questions, answers, and twists solely for Chapter 12 and 13.

So... the gist of FFXIII is that you need to trust in it and put a LOT into it in order to actually get the full experience. I definitely agree that the period of "hand holding" was just too long, but I ended up feeling fulfilled in the end. Hopefully things improve for you as you get further.
Yes, I did hear it opens up in Chapter 11.

I don't enjoy the paradigm system and having to micromanage roles. i also HATE the fact that when your leader dies it's game over, and you cannot choose your leader until the later chapters (and I'm not there yet).

Thanks for frying to cheer me up, but I don't think there's any redeeming this game for me. :-(

What sucks is I bought FFXIII-2 before I even played FFXIII and I hear the battle system is the same. :-( :-(
snip3rfire: Mate, Virtual Boy is where it's at.
Johnmourby: Neigh sir! The most marvellous Vectrex is the greatest console of them all. Shame all who think otherwise.
Wow, Vectrex... that brings up memories of walking around in K-Mart when I was young. I think that system hit store shelves one day and a month later was nowhere to be found again. :) It had some interesting looking vector games though.
Anyone having problem playing Monkey Island 3 on a modern system?
JayMack: Anyone with a spare HoMM5 key? =(
Not I, but I can suggest to keep an eye out for physical copies of that one. I got a copy of the collector's edition about 10 months ago for $5 US or so. (I guess there was a wee overestimation of demand for that one.)
Daz12380: i realy liked the n64 had zelda oricania of time. does anyone know why the gamecube didnt do well. i brought one great system to be fair to it but it was so hard to find games for it. six months after i brought it there was a game on sale for it well i was on holiday which i brought and at the desk the woman said you do know this is a gamecube game dont you?
I would assume the gamecube didn't do very well was because it became the "3rd party machine" 3 years in and it felt like Nintendo abandoned it amidst the horde of nickelodeon and movie games.
deathmyrk: Since Hotline Miami is taking a while to sell, I decided to try Geneforge. I never heard of the game before today, and bought it on the whim when it was on sale. So far it looks like I made a solid decision. Just got through tutorial, and the game seems very original. Reminds me of Ultima VII, and the map looks enormous. Anyone else picked up Geneforge Saga today and played it blindly for the first time? What do you think? (I have purchased a good deal of games on GOG I always wanted to try (Undying, System Shock 2, Shadowman, Ultima, Realms of the Haunting, Might and Magic), and have not once been disappointed. This is an amazing website.)
istudedinre: I didn't just pick it up today, but I can verify that Geneforge is a great series. The series is HUGE in scope, eating up about 80 hours per game for me, totaling 400 hours of play for a pocket change price. Spiderweb Software makes excellent games.
That's totally amazing. I heard from somewhere that Geneforge is also an Indie game. That is just mind-boggling on the scope of the developers, especially seeing so far how clean and responsive the game is and how smooth it runs. The game just runs comfortable, and I haven't experienced any slowdown or glitches. I am really going to check out Spiderweb Software later on.
ozzyoscy: Guys, let's talk about the Sega Mega CD, the best console of all time.
Too bad it burns you retinas and then you'll see everything in red for the rest of your life. But it's a small price to pay to play Wario Land.
CorranHorn: Anyone having problem playing Monkey Island 3 on a modern system?
ScummVM is your friend. http://scummvm.org/
Johnmourby: Neigh sir! The most marvellous Vectrex is the greatest console of them all. Shame all who think otherwise.
skeletonbow: Wow, Vectrex... that brings up memories of walking around in K-Mart when I was young. I think that system hit store shelves one day and a month later was nowhere to be found again. :) It had some interesting looking vector games though.
My Vectrex still works great...bring it out a couple times a year... :)
thorton70: Hmm, hard to mod System Shock 2 with the old mods on the new gog downloads, game is still amazing though.
CorranHorn: Yes, many tutorials are talking about the original version, oh that reminds me, mod Planescape Torment, there should be a tutorial on how to mod the GoG version in it as well.

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.se/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html
Thanks.

I'm looking for a workaround for SS2, if I can't find I might try to figure it out. Looks like you might have to image the game as an ISO and mount it, which could be a bit annoying heh.
ozzyoscy: Guys, let's talk about the Sega Mega CD, the best console of all time.
Oh, the pain! I actually have a Virtual Boy. Playing it not only gives bizarre headaches, but leaves you confused for about 10 minutes as to why the world is not made of red glowing lines everywhere. That thing was Not Right.
What infuriated me about FFXIII was the fact that enemies had attacks that would hurt multiple members of you rparty if they were standing near one another, but the player had no control over where or how characters moved about the screen. The game would basically punish the player for something that was completely out of their control.
Such terrible game design.
Shendue: Too bad it burns you retinas and then you'll see everything in red for the rest of your life. But it's a small price to pay to play Wario Land.
I think that system made several kids prematurely need bifocals.
kecskeszarv: Don't forget about the glorious sound made after Degauss :D
istudedinre: Oh, the horror! CRTs still give me headaches, because I can hear the frequency of the tubes resonating. Once I could afford LCDs, I converted everything I owned and never looked back.
Hah! Finally you shall be defeated with your only weakness, with a CRT on a huge stick.
Daz12380: i realy liked the n64 had zelda oricania of time. does anyone know why the gamecube didnt do well. i brought one great system to be fair to it but it was so hard to find games for it. six months after i brought it there was a game on sale for it well i was on holiday which i brought and at the desk the woman said you do know this is a gamecube game dont you?
implord66: I would assume the gamecube didn't do very well was because it became the "3rd party machine" 3 years in and it felt like Nintendo abandoned it amidst the horde of nickelodeon and movie games.
thats a shame i never played any of them . me and my bro got very good at mario kart double dash he'd drive id use the weapons i could hit with a bannana everytime