It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I think the only question I have is how much Cleve paid to be able to post there.

Other than that, this was an incredibly unreasonable thing to do. Given they have an active Kickstarter running, I imagine the developers are pretty easy to reach and there's literally no reason at all that Cleve shouldn't have just emailed them about it.
johnki: there's literally no reason at all that Cleve shouldn't have just emailed them about it.
Cleve knows how to drama!
From what I can tell he's one of those guys that you just aren't sure if they're just trolling you for fun or taking it seriously because they're insane. I think I like him. :P
Still doesn't have the common decency to email them...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1909687745/grimoire/comments?cursor=7898987#comment-7898986
johnki: Still
Augh. Looks like this bit of insanity is distracting him. Any way to get the wild man to focus on the game and not... this?
I do love Cleve's over confident misstatement of the law. I can't wait to see what he posts next.

If legal proceedings are filed, I suspect they will be interesting (in the context of what would normally be a fairly dry and dull issue).
htown1980: I do love Cleve's over confident misstatement of the law. I can't wait to see what he posts next.

If legal proceedings are filed, I suspect they will be interesting (in the context of what would normally be a fairly dry and dull issue).
The thing is he literally has no claim to it. Failing to protect the trademark means he'd lose it. As stated in another post, PLENTY of games with the word "grimoire" have come out other than this one. Second, he's had 18 years to register that trademark. My understanding is that they beat him to it? He can't blame them for that.

And...now he's insulting their lawyer and name dropping. Wow, Cleve. Wow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1909687745/grimoire/comments?cursor=7899898#comment-7899897
Post edited September 18, 2014 by johnki
htown1980: I do love Cleve's over confident misstatement of the law. I can't wait to see what he posts next.

johnki: The thing is he literally has no claim to it. Failing to protect the trademark means he'd lose it. As stated in another post, PLENTY of games with the word "grimoire" have come out other than this one. Second, he's had 18 years to register that trademark. My understanding is that they beat him to it? He can't blame them for that.

And...now he's insulting their lawyer and name dropping. Wow, Cleve. Wow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1909687745/grimoire/comments?cursor=7899898#comment-7899897
Different jurisdictions have slightly different laws so its not always as straight forward as that, but that's a pretty good summary. Cleve is way too confident of his position.

There was a decision handed down last year in the Supreme Court of Western Australia which I was reminded of when I read Cleve's comments (the decision related to arguments made by some crazy people here who think the government is illegal, and are particularly arrogant about their beliefs):

"Grounds of appeal like these are promoted by a small group of sad and deluded individuals who labour on in their delusions despite comprehensive rejection by the Court of Appeal and the General Division. Law students are required to study constitutional law and are examined on their knowledge as a prerequisite for legal practice. It is a peculiar arrogance for an appellant to believe that without similar study they know better. Psychologists refer to this syndrome as the Dunning Kruger effect. Judicial time is a scarce public resource to be spent in resolution of issues of substance not to be squandered on applications of legal incoherence."

Probably a bit harsh, as Cleve's comments are not completely without merit...
Post edited September 18, 2014 by htown1980
Hope this not result situation when both sides "lose". Clieve will postpone release to next decade and indie studio will close work on new interesting project(s). :(
htown1980: Probably a bit harsh, as Cleve's comments are not completely without merit...
Not completely, no. But the way he's going about it is horrible and might backfire on him.
By taking in money under this name you are capitalising on your possible association with my unique product using a hastily assembled mod in the Unreal Engine to mislead the public who may not realize this is not my game on Kickstarter but a mere copycat rival abusing the name space for purposes of deception and confusion in consumers.
Will genuinely be surprised if, if this goes to court, OmniConnection's lawyer doesn't try to use comments like these as grounds for slander. Especially considering that this ISN'T a copycat. At all. It isn't even an RPG.
Post edited September 18, 2014 by johnki

By taking in money under this name you are capitalising on your possible association with my unique product using a hastily assembled mod in the Unreal Engine to mislead the public who may not realize this is not my game on Kickstarter but a mere copycat rival abusing the name space for purposes of deception and confusion in consumers.
johnki: Will genuinely be surprised if, if this goes to court, OmniConnection's lawyer doesn't try to use comments like these as grounds for slander. Especially considering that this ISN'T a copycat. At all. It isn't even an RPG.
There is a real possibility that some of the comments that Cleve has made could be interpreted as defamatory, particularly if it was found that the appropriate jurisdiction to deal with them were the Australian courts, but I suspect suing Cleve for defamation would be a waste of time.
So, first they snag the trademark away from under Cleve's nose and now they're trying to pull the victim card over Cleve's "bullying".

Fuckers.
Attachments:
cleve.jpg (75 Kb)
fronzelneekburm: So, first they snag the trademark away from under Cleve's nose and now they're trying to pull the victim card over Cleve's "bullying".

Fuckers.
Arghhhhh. Are they trademarking to protect their name or trademarking to block out the original Grimoire?
fronzelneekburm: So, first they snag the trademark away from under Cleve's nose and now they're trying to pull the victim card over Cleve's "bullying".

Fuckers.
ShadowWulfe: Arghhhhh. Are they trademarking to protect their name or trademarking to block out the original Grimoire?
Either way, according to , they're hiding behind [url=https://twitter.com/MrRyanMorrison]their lawyer, like the dastardly cowards they are.
Like I said... if I own the trademark, and some random raving lunatic is making absurd public threats against me... I go ahead and get ready for the lawsuit. Bring it. And bring your vaporware with you.