It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For the Emperor!

Isometric tabletop-inspired strategy Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Command your squad of Ultramarines in a futuristic clash to defeat the forces of Chaos in Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate. Simple mechanics, a classic isometric map, epic music, and varied in-game landscapes will keep you entertained while you crush your enemies, one squad after another, in true X-COM-inspired style.

Why should you be excited that Chaos Gate is a Warhammer 40,000 Universe game? Because that means that we get all cleverness, a wealth of equipment and weaponry to choose from, and a well-written, enticing plot that transfers well from the tabletop to the computer screen.

1998 doesn’t get much better than this - so treat yourself to some squad-based strategy with Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, DRM-free on GOG.com.

In the Press

“By and large, it’s the best PC implementation of the Warhammer system to date” -- PC Gamer

“Warhammer is a complex, vastly entertaining strategy gaming system, and Chaos Gate does full justice to it.” -- Gamespot

“A heavy tank becomes an Imperial Dreadnaught, draped with the banners of the Emperor and drawn in a style that lets you know it is ready roll over the ranks of the enemy and crush their bones beneath its treads.” -- IGN
JudasIscariot: It means:
a) the game uses a legacy multiplayer protocol that is no longer in use. or
b) it used a service like GameSpy that is no longer around. or
c) the multiplayer component may use a more modern protocol but when people try to use it it doesn't work or people suffer extreme performance issues with the multiplayer porton of the game (lag, crashes, etc.)
thefifthhorseman.229: I recall Chaos Gate was supposed to have hotseat. Does that work, or is it broken too?
Unfortunately not, there was only multiplayer through net/lan? Hotseat was included in Final Liberation.
Post edited July 17, 2015 by Knuckles_the_Echidna
It's good to see these early warhammer games on GOG. My personal favourites being Horned Rat and Chaos Gate :)

But I notice there seems to be one or two problems with them, judging by the reviews they're getting. Will these problems be addressed soon?
tfishell: Shame about all the bad reviews, hopefully you can get this fixed appropriately based on the info Support receives, GOG. :)
It's just so bizarre that people choose to file their support requests in the review section...
tfishell: Shame about all the bad reviews, hopefully you can get this fixed appropriately based on the info Support receives, GOG. :)
budejovice: It's just so bizarre that people choose to file their support requests in the review section...
They do it to warn others that the game may not work. That's fair enough. The last thing you want is to buy a game with five star reviews only to find that it's riddled with bugs that no-one told you about. And besides, GOG can always nerf those reviews when they fix the problem. They've done that before, I believe.
budejovice: It's just so bizarre that people choose to file their support requests in the review section...
skeecher: They do it to warn others that the game may not work. That's fair enough. The last thing you want is to buy a game with five star reviews only to find that it's riddled with bugs that no-one told you about. And besides, GOG can always nerf those reviews when they fix the problem. They've done that before, I believe.
You make good points, I just wish so many people wouldn't jump the gun. It's a gog-published title. It's not going to languish unfixed forever. Jumping in at hour 3 of release with a 1-star review just seems senseless to me.

Less than 24 hours after release: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/solution_bcrash_to_desktopb_in_warhammer_40000_chaos_gate_b1924

EDIT: Correction - not less than 24 hours, but next day nonetheless.
Post edited July 17, 2015 by budejovice
There is no sound in the game. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and my audio output is from my monitor to receiver via HDMI cable.

Is there a solution for that?
skeecher: It's good to see these early warhammer games on GOG. My personal favourites being Horned Rat and Chaos Gate :)
There are earlier ones - Space Crusade and Space Hulk, to be specific. Still waiting for these.

skeecher: But I notice there seems to be one or two problems with them, judging by the reviews they're getting. Will these problems be addressed soon?
Both games were notorious for compatibility problems long, long before GOG existed. To put this in perspective, I remember them being total PITA to get running on my Win XP system a decade ago - eventually I had to run them by using a virtual machine with Windows 98, simply because nothing less than that worked at all.

It's a minor miracle GOG got them to work at all, and things can only get better from here (just bought both, BTW)
Post edited July 17, 2015 by thefifthhorseman.229
Naxterra: There is no sound in the game. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and my audio output is from my monitor to receiver via HDMI cable.

i am no computer game wizz nor tech wizz, i only know that win8x had the most problems with games in general, compared to windows 7, just google and most are win8x problems.
I ran the game on win7 and it has audio, it uses an abundance of cpu/gpu, but it plays.

But i think there will be a solution, i am very sure that people here will be able to solve it.
Naxterra: There is no sound in the game. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and my audio output is from my monitor to receiver via HDMI cable.

Check if there is sound output from your sound card - this can be an issue with sound in game in general, or just with audio output over HDMI. This seems tiny, but can be a world of difference for whoever's charged with solving this issue.
skeecher: It's good to see these early warhammer games on GOG. My personal favourites being Horned Rat and Chaos Gate :)
thefifthhorseman.229: There are earlier ones - Space Crusade and Space Hulk, to be specific. Still waiting for these.
Space Crusade is the next on my GW want list. :)
Tarm: Space Crusade is the next on my GW want list. :)
Space Hulk, on the account of the frantic gameplay and awesome music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMv5gN7u94

(that reminds me I really should poke around SH's map format; who knows... an editor for a 25 year old game just might be possible :)
Tarm: Space Crusade is the next on my GW want list. :)
thefifthhorseman.229: Space Hulk, on the account of the frantic gameplay and awesome music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMv5gN7u94

(that reminds me I really should poke around SH's map format; who knows... an editor for a 25 year old game just might be possible :)
I didn't play that. I think I didn't like the real time element. Watched friends play it though. Space Crusade I played a lot on the Amiga 500 though. :)
I always thought the music was by far the best part of the game, which is why it's such a shame the audio files in the game are so low-quality.

I wonder if perhaps someone at the studio or the composer still has some high-quality master files lying around.
It's todays internet where acting like a spoiled kid actually works. Scream where it gets the most attention and your chances of getting what you want increases.
God I want that invention where you can start physical fights through the net NOW!
Pyoko: I always thought the music was by far the best part of the game, which is why it's such a shame the audio files in the game are so low-quality.

I wonder if perhaps someone at the studio or the composer still has some high-quality master files lying around.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's possible. http://www.gog.com/forum/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate/music_quality/post3
Post edited July 18, 2015 by Tarm
Pyoko: I wonder if perhaps someone at the studio or the composer still has some high-quality master files lying around.
The game rights went through multiple owners, and as far as I understand someone did contact the composer a few years back and found out that he does was not allowed to keep that sort of materials due to the terms of his contract.