It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Your space federation.

<span class="bold">The Last Federation Collection</span> & <span class="bold">The Lost Technologies</span>, a turn-based Sci-Fi space epic, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com with 50% off the collection, and 10% off The Lost Technologies DLC.

From the creators of AI War: Fleet Command comes the turn-based, tactical space simulator. A great genocide has swept through the universe, entire world and races have been wiped away at the whims of power-hungry rulers and frustrated subjects. Your people are all but gone as well, and peace has been restored... for now.
In The Last Federation, your mission is to form a brave new world, a new system, the last space federation. You'll traverse the outer reaches of space on a quest of diplomacy, resources, trading, and a turn-based combat - sometimes, a few may have to die for the good of many.
If you've played AI War: Fleet Command, you'll know to expect a degree of difficulty and complexity that require a bit more than simple pick up and play, nonetheless enough effort has gone into the difficulty curve for newcomers, and as always - incredible rewards wait for those who earn them.

The Lost Technologies premieres today as well. It's an expansion that features (not surprisingly) new and incredibly unique technology for all the in-game races, interesting "side effects" to existing tech mechanics, new content to explore and an all-new Tech Race game mode: a cutthroat race for technological superiority.

The Last Federation Collection features the base game, as well as the Betrayed Hope & The Lost Technologies DLC all at 50% off!

Rebuild <span class="bold">The Last Federation</span> and recover <span class="bold">The Lost Technologies</span>, now DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discounts will last for one week, until November 18, 1:59 PM GMT.
Geralt_of_Rivia: That's basically a "Fuck you!" to everyone who bought the base game and DLC1 before.
Yep. I don't like this move either. This is something I've seen time to time on e.g. Steam (people who have bought bits and pieces along the way get a worse deal for the remaining parts, which many times mean it makes one to buy the whole package again; like the case when the Titan Quest expansion pack alone cost exactly the same as the Gold version, which included both the base game and the said expansion. That was a big F U to those who had bought the base game separately.

Too bad to see this practice arriving also to GOG. Here I am more used to existing owners getting a good deal as well, like getting the maximum discount for the missing parts, ie. you are compensated for owning the other parts already. Why couldn't it be applied in this case as well, why only new owners get a 50% discount also for the new DLC?

I think I'll wait for a deeper discount for the missing DLC alone... This just pushes me also on GOG.com to wait until the "Gold Edition" comes out for any game, and not to buy base games and DLCs separately when new content is still incoming. I kinda wish I hadn't bought the base game and the first DLC before.
The Last Federation Bundle on Steam is only $9.99.
Post edited November 11, 2015 by Barry_Woodward
I don't often complain about these things, but this is just weird. Why is the latest expansion only 10% off? It avails you nothing to buy it without the base game, and if you don't have the base game and you want the expansions... then you get it at 50% off. Yet, if you own the base game already, to show your support to Arcen you get to pay more than someone new to the game? Yeah, I guess I'll wait/pass.
high rated
Murfallo: The math says that the newcomers could as well have the same 10% discount for the expansion as everyone else, but their discount for the base game + first expansion then would equal 73%.
That might have been a reasonable argument if the base game and the first DLC were indeed discounted by 73%, but if you check, you see that they are in fact discounted by 50%.

Your argument is playing with math to minimise the discrepancy. One can easily change it to maximise it.

Let's do the math using USD prices in the rest of the world, not in Russia:
Base game costs $19.99 without discount
First DLC costs $6.99 without discount
New DLC costs $6.99 without discount
Collection costs $12.49 with discount

Your argument is:
Collection = $12.49 = $6.29 [new DLC at -10%] + $6.20 [base + first DLC at -77%]
You could just have easily said:
Collection = $12.49 = $0.00 [new DLC at -100%, i.e. free for newcomers] + $12.49 [base + first DLC at -54%]
Or anything in the middle.

Note that it is currently cheaper to buy the collection than to buy just the base game + first DLC (without the new DLC), which effectively means that Arcen are paying newcomers to get the new DLC.
Barry_Woodward: The Last Federation Bundle on Steam is only $9.99.
Wow, it just gets funnier by the minute.
low rated
I actually don't get the "We're being ripped off! Help!!!" cries in here. You're seriously complaining about a theoretical price difference of 3 bucks?! 3 bucks!...

Chances are most of you already bought the original game + DLC1 at a discount and now you're complaining that people who don't have the game yet get a good deal?!
I should also point out though that the Steam bundle makes no mention of the 7 wallpapers or 62 artworks and they're charging the same price as GOG for The Lost Technologies DLC on its own.
Barry_Woodward: The Last Federation Bundle on Steam is only $9.99.
Dear Arcen:

Look, giving the middle finger to your existing customers is more or less expected. Many devs are kinda dicks.

But the above needs to be fixed if I am to buy any of your games in the future. It needs to be fixed right now.
Post edited November 11, 2015 by budejovice
final_option: I actually don't get the "We're being ripped off! Help!!!" cries in here. You're seriously complaining about a theoretical price difference of 3 bucks?! 3 bucks!...

Chances are most of you already bought the original game + DLC1 at a discount and now you're complaining that people who don't have the game yet get a good deal?!
Yeah, it's only 3 bucks. So what? It's the principle of it. And this type of thing is unfortunately something that's happening more and more often.

It's similar to the Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition, where, on Steam, if you bought the DS2 bundle/pack/whatever it was, you get the Deathinitive Edtition for free. But if you bought it all piecemeal, you get to pay for the Deathinitive Edition. Sure, you get an 80% discount, but you're still expected to pay even though you own exactly the same content as the people that get it free.

This situation, while not exactly the same, leaves the same sour taste in the mouth.
high rated
final_option: I actually don't get the "We're being ripped off! Help!!!" cries in here. You're seriously complaining about a theoretical price difference of 3 bucks?! 3 bucks!...

I bought the game + first DLC for ~$9. If I buy the new DLC now it would total ~$15.5, which is indeed only $3 difference, but good practice is not to punish people for having been past customers.

And if you think that $3 is nothing, then by all means, please do appeal to Arcen and GOG to reduce the DLC's price by this nothing and I will gladly buy the DLC.
Post edited November 11, 2015 by mrkgnao
vicklemos: Impossible not to like! :D
I'm serious, Arcen Games is a weird company; I mean, they resurface your deepest and fondest memories as a young lad and put that in a game. It's like their games have some scent from the happy days of before and... I'll stop here. :P
No joke btw!
tinyE: Okay vicklemos, I trust you but come on, those screen shots make this thing look complicated to say the least. XD Try to put yourself in the shoes of a brain dead old man like myself for a second and ask, "Is this game asking too much?" :P
:P
It is complicated, but damn it's rewarding! It is asking a little too much, I suppose, but it'll reward ya later on. And the visuals... you can tell it's a little handcrafted but awesome nonetheless. Go for it. And Bionic Dues, too. Two blasts! :p
Early adopters of games always pay more, no doubt, but the wording and structure of the discounts is unfortunate. It would have been better to nix the collection and have the base game and Betrayed Hope DLC discounted to a combined total of $6.20 and have The Lost Technologies DLC the same price for everyone to avoid confusion.
Geralt_of_Rivia: That's basically a "Fuck you!" to everyone who bought the base game and DLC1 before.

While I do understand that Arcen doesn't want to go into deep discount territory on day 1 I do not understand that new customers get it at -50% off while everyone else only gets -10%.
Exactly.
The launch was glitched. The original release was the 11th, but apparently it was moved back as the trailer cites the 14th.
Lost technologies is listed as being Steam only, but it is an oversight, you don't need Steam for any of Arcen's games (at least I'm pretty sure, regardless I have Lost Tech working with my GOG version just fine).
The Bundle is at 60% discount on Steam, 50% on GoG & Humble.
Lost Technologies is 10% off everywhere.

Bundle is $12.49 for all 3.
Base game is $9.99 (50%).
Exp 1 is $3.49 (50%).
Exp 2 is $6.29 (10%).

The argument seems to be early adopters having to pay the $6.29 for Exp 2 whereas late adopters being able to pay $12.49 (50%) for everything.

It seems then one solution would be to penalize the late adopters and have the bundle be 9.99 + 3.49 + 6.29 = $19.77. So the bundle cost should be increased to make things fair to everyone. As a consumer this doesn't please me.

Another solution would be have the cost of the Exp 2 for early adopters dropped to the difference between the bundle components and the expansion, so 12.49 - 9.99 - 3.49 = $-0.99 (they have to pay us 99 cents to get the game). As a consumer I like this one, but I don't think it is fair or reasonable.

Another solution would be to have the cost of the bundle dropped to 50% off all items, 9.99 + 3.49 + 3.49 = $16.97.

But I'm guessing those solutions aren't satisfying, what is desired is that Exp 2 be immediately dropped to 50% on release. Which isn't very reasonable to expect for a company is it? The product immediately being on sale for 50% of its normal retail price during the time when it is going to get a large proportion of its sales.

In the end, I'm not too bothered by the current pricing. Not having the wallpaper is annoying, except I really don't care about the wallpapers for any game. The difference also boils down to paying 6.49 or 3.49 for Exp 2, otherwise known as a difference of $3. I'm not sure how much I care about a $3 difference.

Disclaimer: Arcen Forum Regular
high rated
Hey guys -- Chris Park, the head of Arcen Games here.

One of you fine fellows (won't say the name, since I don't know his forum handle and I don't want to mess with his privacy) gave us a shout at arcengames at gmail dot com, and so I'm here to answer a few questions. Today is super busy for me and so I likely won't have time too much to respond further. I figure I should state that up front so you don't feel like I just surprisingly ran off on you or something.

I'm going to wind around very circuitously with a lot of background here before I get to the main points that are being stated here. If it seems like I'm being evasive, please do read to the end, as I'm hoping I get to all your points; but simply laying some groundwork first. I really hate it when some company representative comes out and gives non-answers or answers completely different questions.

Also: if I am gone and don't respond to some burning question that somebody has, please feel free to email our address noted above again, and I'll pop back by.

So, here's the deal with new expansions and how we price them. We've done the same thing for AI War since 2011ish, and I don't recall hearing a ruckus about it at the time, but we weren't on GOG. (And obviously, people are allowed to suddenly speak up even if they didn't before.) Anyway, my point there isn't "but see, nothing's different and so it's fine," but rather "this is not new for us, just so you know, and you can take that as you will to either see us in a better or a worse light, but I figured I'd bring that up."

Wow a long preface! Anyhow, I guess I'll number these points so that they are easier to discuss:

1. We all know there's a long tail to many games, after an initial high volume (relatively speaking) of sales. Hence the origins of GOG. The question, though, is whether or not the long tail is sufficient to warrant further investment in things like expansions or free post-release content, or whether there must always be a rush to the next sequel.

2. Sequels tend to cost more, or be the same price at the very least, as their predecessor. Sometimes they're a huge update, other times not so much. But I think that limiting things to this cyclical model of sequels as the main driving force of further revenue for companies (let's face it, we have expenses if we're to keep developing games and paying staff) is not great for customers. And it tends to sometimes lead to "changes for the sake of changes" to make the sequel seem worth it. I'm really off on a tangent here, and I apologize. But this does play into my thinking, so I think it's a bit relevant.

3. Expansion packs are something I prefer, particularly paired with free post-release content, because they are cheaper to customers (yay!), cheaper and faster to develop (yay!), a safer bet of a modest amount of income for the developer (yay!), and you get to have all the prior content of the game plus the new stuff, not minus anything (big yay!). That said, as DLC stacks up it can get prohibitively expensive for players (boo!), and the return on investment for the developer is a lot lower than a new game (boo!), and the press coverage and other marketing things that happen for new games is a lot thinner on the ground for an expansion (boo!). Unless you're Starcraft or something.

None of the above at all addresses what you were talking about. So now on to that.

4. Figuring out what to charge for a new expansion is tricky, and figuring out how to discount it is also tricky. If you look at the sales of individual expansions for AI War or the first expansion to The Last Federation, they don't make sense on paper. We "lost money" making each of them. Like, a lot of money -- in some cases $30k or more. BUT that is bad math.

5. The true income from an expansion is not just what it directly earns, but what it earns PLUS what new sales it spurs of the base game, plus any spurred sales of any collections it is now a part of. So all of our expansions have been moderately profitable. Not full-game profitable, but things that more than made up for our cost of making them and then some.

6. You may not care about this, and this is sort of beside the point, but I think it's relevant to point out here nonetheless. The extra profits from that sort of thing get plowed back into making further games, which helps us avoid things like kickstarters and whatnot while still being able to have things like a 6 month delay in Stars Beyond Reach or a however-many-month (4?) in the original TLF base game. Those games are novel and required quite a bit of experimentation and refinement, and we could afford to do so largely on the strength of past game sales. At any rate, it's how we self-fund, and expansions are a big part of why things like AI War have enjoyed enduring popularity.

7. Also kind of an aside, but there's new content for free in the base game here, which you get whether or not you buy this new expansion. There are several new achievements, three new events, three new alliance types, a new option relating to the first expansion, and various other smaller stuff. We could have put that in the new expansion to make the new expansion "that much more enticing," but we consciously chose to put that for free in the base game so that you'd have something new whether you choose to buy the expansion or not, even though that "devalues the expansion" in some ways. If some of the other stuff we're doing seems like an f-you to existing customers (which I'm sorry it feels that way; it's not meant to, and more on that below), then hopefully you'll at least see this bit as a thank-you.

(more below)
(continued from above)

8. All right, so to the discounts, which is the meat of the problem people are having here. First, discounts in general, before I get to this specific case. You probably know, we run reasonably frequent discounts, sometimes high ones. Why do this? Well... it makes money. On months when we don't do discounts, we typically run at an enormous operating loss (we'll make between a sixth and a third of what it takes to run a small company with 5 fulltimers and a variety of contractors and no office space). When we run discounts, we'll make between two to three times what we need for a given month. So, those cover the dry months.

9. When it comes to a new game or expansion release, generally the wisdom is to not discount too much too fast, and I think that's good wisdom. The people who want the content the most are willing to pay near the full price for it, or indeed the full price, and we give a slight discount to encourage more people to pick it up than otherwise might. Aka, 10%. Pretty standard. I don't think anyone is complaining about this, but I should point out that, based on my own observations and what other developers and publishers have said, you're really "leaving money on the table" (an ugly phrase, but apt) if you go lower than that. We already price our expansions and our games pretty low, and I feel good about the value for money you're getting, so digging even deeper than 10% does indeed seem like a foolish move at this particular point.

10. Next piece of general wisdom is to not discount something new too heavily too fast after launch, or you anger the people who just bought it at a higher price. I _totally_ agree with this, and you'll notice that we don't do that. Here again you're also somewhat "leaving money on the table" (ugh that phrase), but even more to the point it's a legitimate grievance for the customer. Well... kind of. I mean, as a customer I'd certainly be pissed, anyway, even though what someone else pays for something doesn't affect whether or not how much I paid was a proper value. The economist or business weasel would make the latter argument, but it just "feels wrong" to me, and violates the sense of fairness in all of us.

11. All right, so what's up with this bloody collection being discounted so heavily then, when it includes this new expansion?? This is the crux of the complain, as I understand it. Well, here we are: it includes two other products which have been out far longer, and I consider the extra discount to be on them, rather than on the new expansion. Of course I can make up whatever math for the internals of a collection like that I want: "the new expansion actually costs twice as much there, and the other stuff is therefore 95% discounted! No worries!"

12. But in point of fact, the reasoning is that we're discounting the "other TLF stuff" by a heavier amount since it is older, and the collection by the same amount in order to encourage new people who are hesitant to buy at all to buy the collection rather than the base game only. It's an upsell, and I think the value is there for the new customer as well, so I don't feel bad about it despite the ugly word "upsell" (Would you like a large bucket of grease for only $0.50 more?).

13. Now, here's where we come to the last part of my explanation. Well, some math first. The logical mathematical argument to make against #11 and #12 above is "if the other stuff in the collection is discounted further but not the new expansion, it should be discounted differently." Right you are. So if the base game and the first expansion are both 50% off, but together they make up 79.4% of the value of the collection, then by that math the expansion itself should actually be discounted by (79.4*0.5)+(20.6*0.9), which is, if I did my math right, a discount of 41.76% on the collection rather than 50%. _That's_ what would have been completely fair to the existing customers, and it's that 8.24% difference in price that I presume is what irks you. I get that. And in some senses, I have to agree.
Post edited November 11, 2015 by x4000c