It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible, Panzer-like grand strategy classics, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span>, available for Windows, is a spiritual sequel from the studio behind the acclaimed Panzer General series - an improvement over the classic, but one that retains the same feel and concepts as its inspiration. Once more we return to the overhead battlefields of World War II in a series of quick-play scenarios and full-blown campaigns: everything from Pearl Harbor to hypothetical invasion scenarios is here, all packaged in a relatively newbie-friendly grand-strategy package. <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> takes that same experience and sets it in a fantasy universe. This one's for you if you're a fan of large-scale hex-based battlefields and steampunk-infused fantasy. Fantasy General is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Unleash your inner armchair general with <span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
Barry_Woodward: Here's my first draft:

"Dear Gabe Newell,

Since exclusivity is a bad idea for everyone, would you ever consider releasing Half-Life and Portal on GOG.com DRM-free? Seriously, why not? Since CD Projekt (the parent company of GOG) sells The Witcher series on Steam, why not return the favor? There's no doubt DRM-free versions of Half-Life and Portal would sell well enough to be worth the trouble. What have you got to lose? Think about it.

Sincerely DRM-free,
Barry Woodward"
Lifthrasil: Sounds good. But I don't have much hope that he will react in any way.

But back to topic:
WOHOOO! Fantasy General! IMO the best instalment of the General series!
he won't react, as i said: "exclusivity is bad for everyone but valve."

having said that: i would buy portal one if it ever came here. :)
Interesting...does this mean that GOG has the rights to make NEW Pacific/Fantasy General games? Or only to redistribute the old games?
BillyMaysFan59: Here is a new GOGmix for games published by GOG, for what it's worth.

http://www.gog.com/mix/games_published_by_gog?ccr=y
IAmSinistar: Good deal. Let's hope this one grows quickly!
Cheers, I will try to keep it updated as necessary ;)
Catshade: Interesting...does this mean that GOG has the rights to make NEW Pacific/Fantasy General games? Or only to redistribute the old games?
Hmm. A 'General' game in The Witcher universe? That would be awesome! (and there's war enough going on in that world)
JudasIscariot: All I know and can comfortably share is that we bought them outright :) The finer details are not for me to know :)
Could ou be more specific? I mean, did you buy rights to pubkisg them, or you just signed a deal with copyright holder to publish those games?
high rated
JudasIscariot: All I know and can comfortably share is that we bought them outright :) The finer details are not for me to know :)
SLP2000: Could ou be more specific? I mean, did you buy rights to pubkisg them, or you just signed a deal with copyright holder to publish those games?
We bought the rights to those specific games right down to the source code(if it exists somewhere in the ether), so to speak :) Does that help a bit more? Sorry, but I can't be too specific :/
JudasIscariot: We bought the rights to those specific games right down to the source code(if it exists somewhere in the ether), so to speak :) Does that help a bit more? Sorry, but I can't be too specific :/
Seriously though, this is very cool. Good luck finding the compilers/assemblers needed to actually successfully *compile* any of that code this long after the fact mind you, but source code is nice to have no matter what. ;o) Need any help porting them to Linux? ;oP
JudasIscariot: We bought the rights to those specific games right down to the source code(if it exists somewhere in the ether), so to speak :) Does that help a bit more? Sorry, but I can't be too specific :/
That's all I wanted to know.

Seriously, I wonder why it took you so long to do this. :)

Now go buy all rights Ubi has to D&D SSI crpgs and then make a deal with Hasbro to achieve the impossible.
JudasIscariot: ... games whose legal limbo woes are worse than an infinity of Gordian knots.
Well, you know - like Alexander the Great once proved, Gordian knots are actually pretty easy to loosen.
All one needs is a sharp sword.

;o)
tfishell: No but we know his email address and that he sometimes responds, so it might actually be worth at least trying to get SOME kind of response. For now, maybe you want to try emailing him, Barry? (And definitely mention that exclusivity quote!)
Barry_Woodward: Let me know his email via PM and I'll see what I can do.
It's public info so I'll just post it here (in case anyone else wants to have a go ;)

GabeN@valvesoftware.com

SLP2000: Now go buy all rights Ubi has to D&D SSI crpgs and then make a deal with Hasbro to achieve the impossible.
Amen, brudda. :)
Post edited May 05, 2015 by tfishell
GOG paid for them so I felt compelled to show my support and bought them right now for full price even if they are regional priced which I do not like, but rewarding GOG for becoming publisher of great classics is just more important.

I hope this deal will pay off many times and maybe more good games will come from GOG directly.
skeletonbow: Seriously though, this is very cool. Good luck finding the compilers/assemblers needed to actually successfully *compile* any of that code this long after the fact mind you, but source code is nice to have no matter what. ;o) Need any help porting them to Linux? ;oP
Our games programmers are quite smart so I think they'd be able to figure something out if something like this were to actually happen :)
JudasIscariot: ... games whose legal limbo woes are worse than an infinity of Gordian knots.
BreOl72: Well, you know - like Alexander the Great once proved, Gordian knots are actually pretty easy to loosen.
All one needs is a sharp sword.

;o)
Sure, but how do you deal with an INFINITE amount of 'em? :P
Post edited May 05, 2015 by JudasIscariot
Who owns the rights to Heart Of Darkness (from the creator of Another World, Éric Chahi)?

Vote for it on the wishlist:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/heart_of_darkness
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Barry_Woodward
SLP2000: Seriously, I wonder why it took you so long to do this. :)
I have no idea, maybe there was a lot of research going on, no clue really :D

At least now we can officially declare these two games as no longer abandoned :D
Omg awesome ! , been waiting for Fantasy General to come on gog since I joined ...... don't was to push it ..... but could have Star General on here now too ? :p