It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
fronzelneekburm: To put it another way: That slope was slippery, yo!
Let's not kid ourselves....GOG likely would've released this game as it is even if there had been more pushback to those other things(same with many AAA game makers using DRM no matter what).

====

Jigowatts121: I am suprised that we haven't had any response beyond the blue post given the backlash of this release.
That's been GOG's modus operandi for awhile now.......complete radio silence, or maybe a cut-paste style post or two by a staffer.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by GamezRanker
Gognarok: it says nothing.
you could simply calculate "days since release" / "amount of sales" an you get a high value in the beginning
this statistical value will decrease dramatically each day in comparison to other "top" games.
furthermore GOG has the possibility to prioritise games in this list.
mrkgnao: But we know how they calculate it, more or less.

It's the amount of money (not copies) the game sold in the last two weeks or so. So in a few hours it bypassed everything else that was sold in the last two weeks or so.
Why on earth is this post downvoted? There's not even an opinion in it one could disagree to.
fronzelneekburm: To put it another way: That slope was slippery, yo!
GamezRanker: Let's not kid ourselves....GOG likely would've released this game as it is even if there had been more pushback to those other things(same with many AAA game makers using DRM no matter what).

====

Jigowatts121: I am suprised that we haven't had any response beyond the blue post given the backlash of this release.
GamezRanker: That's been GOG's modus operandi for awhile now.......complete radio silence, or maybe a cut-paste style post or two by a staffer.
The silent treatment really sucks. So dismissive.
low rated
mrkgnao: I don't really expect my boycott to succeed in changing GOG's trajectory, but before I began it, I felt disgusted with myself for buying here, and now I don't.
And that is a good thing(the end bit) :)

mrkgnao: As for buying at deep discount. I have always done that, but even with deep discounts GOG games are several times more expensive than steam games (with bundles). And now that I know I do not need the steam client for downloading/installing/playing steam games, I am no longer willing to pay the huge difference for GOG games that might or might not DRM-free, might or might not be up-to-date, and sure to receive poor customer service.
Yeah, now that GOG has this game and it's more or less the same as the steam version, I (if I wanted to buy a copy) would likely just go with Steam(and then make a DRM free backup). At least they're a bit more "honest" about some things.

====

apehater: i guess they did it because of the many, many bad reviews
So you'd say, then, that they came from a multitude of game playing individuals? ;)

====

NuffCatnip: Funnily enough, even on r/games (reddit) people are displeased, normally they don't give a toss about this kind of stuff.
Speaking of, is the GOG reddit still down(it was down yesterday) I wonder?

====

Mjauv: The silent treatment really sucks. So dismissive.
True dat

Essentially, they "learned" from the Link0 incident(from the response to his social media posts) to say as little as possible....and then ramped that up to 11.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by GamezRanker
Linko64: I honestly have to wonder how this happened. The clip is awkward to watch, fella on the right looks like he's sitting on hot spikes when the topic comes up.

The process of any signing of games is pretty long but you know what you are signing, I don't really understand how it can go through multiple elements on both sides, with both parties knowing who the are dealing with, the game then going through testing, then marketing/community preparing stuff and the results is 'here's a game packed with DRM on DRM-FREE store' and stunned silence as they're surprised by the reaction.

I don't want to assume people don't do research into products they sell, but this with Devotion does suggest there's a no research made or they're just signing anything they can get their hands on without knowing what it is.

This should have been a big catch for GOG, but taking it with DRM should have been a no straight away. You can't build your house on foundations and run campaigns like 'FCKDRM' only to accept DRM and do it in a manner where you act as nothing has happened.

As a fan of the service and preservation, it's sad to see the betrayal of the DRM-Free approach and the lack of care towards the process of curation.
tremere110: Nobody realizes the boiling frog experiment is a myth. The frog will always jump out when the water gets too hot no matter how slowly. The few times where the frog didn’t - it’s been drugged, it’s legs were chopped off or the pot was covered - none of which had anything to do with the gradual increase in temperature.

So what can Gog learn from this? They’re gonna need to chop off our legs, staple our faces to the computer screen and pump us full of psychedelic drugs to get us to accept this version of “DRM-Free”.
Yes but while its a myth now it was around so long at this point its now a saying to indicate slowly changing things so the majority doesn't notice till its too late to change course or do much to protest and the like after all atleast in most cases company wise as iether by then the group is the only viable for mass enjoyment or for whats wanted in a legal way factor .. That or they have enough newer consumers that don't care enough that the loss of older consumers don't hurt em enough to reverse course
mrkgnao: I don't really expect my boycott to succeed in changing GOG's trajectory, but before I began it, I felt disgusted with myself for buying here, and now I don't.
GamezRanker: And that is a good thing(the end bit) :)

mrkgnao: As for buying at deep discount. I have always done that, but even with deep discounts GOG games are several times more expensive than steam games (with bundles). And now that I know I do not need the steam client for downloading/installing/playing steam games, I am no longer willing to pay the huge difference for GOG games that might or might not DRM-free, might or might not be up-to-date, and sure to receive poor customer service.
GamezRanker: Yeah, now that GOG has this game and it's more or less the same as the steam version, I (if I wanted to buy a copy) would likely just go with Steam(and then make a DRM free backup). At least they're a bit more "honest" about some things.

====

apehater: i guess they did it because of the many, many bad reviews
GamezRanker: So you'd say, then, that they came from a multitude of game playing individuals? ;)

====

NuffCatnip: Funnily enough, even on r/games (reddit) people are displeased, normally they don't give a toss about this kind of stuff.
GamezRanker: Speaking of, is the GOG reddit still down(it was down yesterday) I wonder?
I'm on my phone right now, can't access reddit at the moment in general.

It's the amount of money (not copies) the game sold in the last two weeks or so. So in a few hours it bypassed everything else that was sold in the last two weeks or so.
MarkoH01: Why on earth is this post downvoted? There's not even an opinion in it one could disagree to.
bots

(Imagine being enough of a loser to have bots downvote posts for you because it hurts your fragile lil' fee fees)
Post edited September 23, 2021 by EnforcerSunWoo
high rated
tremere110: Nobody realizes the boiling frog experiment is a myth. The frog will always jump out when the water gets too hot no matter how slowly. The few times where the frog didn’t - it’s been drugged, it’s legs were chopped off or the pot was covered - none of which had anything to do with the gradual increase in temperature.
I'm pretty sure most people know that. The phrase just persists because it is useful to quickly describe behaviour that, while not true of frogs, is true of the much dumber animal known as human.
liara42: Sheershaw, you're reminding me how "Devotion" (made by "Red Candle Games") was removed for infinitely less, for a hidden Winnie the Pooh obscure easter egg reference, but "Hitman" is allowed to do for whatever reason.
(An easter egg which was already removed I'd like to add - there was nothing wrong or offending anymore.)
tremere110: Nobody realizes the boiling frog experiment is a myth.
That's why it's a good metaphor. Because GOG is DRM-free is also a myth.

===================================================================================
===================================================================================

MarkoH01: Why on earth is this post downvoted? There's not even an opinion in it one could disagree to.
Since I began boycotting GOG, and as I tend to be vocal about it, most of my posts gets downvoted.

I don't mind. I wear it as a badge of honour.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by mrkgnao
How many people are buying this game thinking they are finally getting a DRM-free version of Hitman and will be very angry to find out the DRM is still there?
What surprises me is that there is so much uproar. This has literally been coming now for at least a couple of years, probably ever since the galaxy client was developed. It shouldn’t come as a shock. The list of games here or removed, which have online gated content, latent drm, acccount required games has been steadily growing for a long time. Heck their own parent company’s product is a prime example, and that was meant to be a multiplayer microtransaction product.
Sad fact is, gog is dead, has been for a while now. Forums are half run by bots, website has never been updated, the only effort at all goes into pushing galaxy onto more systems, even to length of backfilling I told installers which didn’t need it.
Themken: I was surprised to see this released here. Not so anymore after checking the state of the game; now I am just sad. Not wishlisting, not buying.

I guess my guess that CDP Group is trying to offload GOG to someone like Microsoft might be true. DISCLAIMER: Pure speculation on my part.
That wouldn't be very smart on their part. GOG is where CDP makes most of its income in between game releases...ie keeping devs employed on new projects.

That said, to deliberately sell a clearly DRM-infused game on GOG is the surest way for them to ensure they lose that income. It makes zero sense either from a company moral stance or a fiscal stance.
DRM-free or not for me!
SuperLibby72: How many people in this thread have email GOG about the issue? Getting hundreds of emails form upset customers might a be good way to show them.
mqstout: I have. But they're already weeks behind on support (And have been for the 10 months at least) and will promptly close it without thought or care.
Weeks= I have tickets that are open for months or even years. GOG support is a joke right now ... but since DRM-Free has become the same I guess that's what GOG wants to be now?