It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
mrkgnao: You say "it only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up". For you personally, what is that line that if GOG crosses, you will stop buying here? It's not their releasing one game with DRM, I presume.
Shanuca: I know you're talking to another person, but I would like to share my "line". I would definitely stop buying from GOG if they ever stop to give us the option to play the games from offline installers. As long as this is a possibility, I'll keep getting whatever games I can here because I won't be locked to Galaxy or some kind of launcher thing. But I definitely agree with the whole discussion about this release, it's not only some kind of extra small DLC, is a HUGE part of the game. Even if I have the possibility to play this game offline, I would have a REALLY limited experience.
Thank you for replying. It's always interesting to see other peoples' points of view.

So, for you, even if, over time, 50% of GOG's catalogue becomes fully DRM'd, but GOG still kept the offline installers, you will continue buying here?

Out of curiosity, do you buy games elsewhere? Steam? Epic? Humble?
high rated
Not buying hitman is best thing the customer can do. Show GOG DRM lite games are not welcome.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SuperLibby72
high rated
To anyone hoping they'll fix this, they won't. This game's had content locked behind its online mode since release, why should something change now all of a sudden?
Plus, apparently quite a few of the user base don't give a shit, the game is number 1 on the bestselling list. which is a damn shame. :/

Edit2: I gave the game 1 star and will now try to forget this games existence. And again, a disclaimer would be nice since the description of this being DRM-free is misleading/not true.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by NuffCatnip
mrkgnao: Important enough to add picture of this.
Gognarok: it says nothing.
you could simply calculate "days since release" / "amount of sales" an you get a high value in the beginning
this statistical value will decrease dramatically each day in comparison to other "top" games.
furthermore GOG has the possibility to prioritise games in this list.
But we know how they calculate it, more or less.

It's the amount of money (not copies) the game sold in the last two weeks or so. So in a few hours it bypassed everything else that was sold in the last two weeks or so.
NuffCatnip: To anyone hoping they'll fix this, they won't. This game's had content locked behind its online mode since release, why should something change now all of a sudden?
Plus, apparently quite a few of the user base don't give a shit, the game is number 1 on the bestselling list. which is a damn shame. :/

Edit2: I gave the game 1 star and will now try to forget this games existence.
Lots of people probably don't know about the DRM or read GOG forums. Some people see game they like and buy it blindly.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SuperLibby72
low rated
mrkgnao: The logic that says "Bad GOG, why are you releasing DRM games? Naughty boy! Here, let me buy some more DRM-free games from you!" is a logic that can only make them release more DRM games.
Let's be honest: DRM has more or less won (in the AAA game company sphere) and will likely be around for quite some time....even if a handful don't buy DRM games on stores like GOG.

(that is one of the reasons why I just strip out the DRM out of any DRM laden games I buy to make my own DRM free backups)
high rated
NuffCatnip: To anyone hoping they'll fix this, they won't. This game's had content locked behind its online mode since release, why should something change now all of a sudden?

Edit2: I gave the game 1 star and will now try to forget this games existence. And again, a disclaimer would be nice since the description of this being DRM-free is misleading.
A lot of those people might think it was finally made into an offline game, and will refund when they find out otherwise. That's probably the only thing that could turn this around really, a deluge of refunds. We shall see.
trynoval: Then they'll loose their customers. They are playing with matches, sitting on a dynamite crate. It only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up.
mrkgnao: Really?!

I see a lot of people saying they will not buy this game, but not many who say that they will stop buying here altogether. I don't see them losing customers over this.

So even if a small percentage of people buy this game, which I believe some already have and more will, GOG's decision to add this game may well prove to be profitable in the long run.

And if this game does not affect them negatively, nor will the next and the next. With each DRM release, people will get used to it and will cry less and less, and buy more and more. As long as they continue releasing enough DRM-free games to keep the DRM-free crowd happy, I don't think their releasing this and more DRM games will affect them negatively. On the contary.

The logic that says "Bad GOG, why are you releasing DRM games? Naughty boy! Here, let me buy some more DRM-free games from you!" is a logic that can only make them release more DRM games.

The spark that you talk about has been lit a long time ago (Gwent, Absolver, CP2077) and nothing has exploded yet. Nor will it.

You say "it only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up". For you personally, what is that line that if GOG crosses, you will stop buying here? It's not their releasing one game with DRM, I presume.
Really!

All those little dirty arguments of yours, how people "getting used to DRM" doesn't matter.

There is a big elephant in the room, for GOG buying power being stance for defending and promoting DRM-free. Once you get rid of it, like Hitman(2016) openly does, it would be big slap in the face for the customers. With newspaper headlines about failure of DRM-free cause for biggest DRM-free pillar.

One thing is some GOG employee writes this BS about acceptance of online-locked content. Absolutely different thing, is when GOG actually does it. There is nothing moderate about Hitman(2016) DRMed GOG release, and if you think otherwise - you're out of touch with reality.

There are lots and lots of people who support and buy games here because it helps pushing DRM-free cause. A collective power of voting with your wallet. What GOG is doing now is outright treachery.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by trynoval
FateIsOneEdge: 1st to 2nd page of comments,
described as a 90% bot spam, compared to those who read the product's description.
3rd up to present page of comments,
described as whinning spam, compared to customers who bought and "enjoy" the product.
Me, looking at the chaos, realizing you probably deserved it at this point.

Cheers.
Lol, ok FateIsOneEdgelord.
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
Then saying "DRM FREE" on the store page is false advertising.

Please remove the game from the store until this is fixed.
high rated
GOG's big deal is that games supposed to come DRM-FREE here. Period. Galaxy and online services should NEVER be required for content I can play by myself, all alone w/ no other players.

The problem is: well, that ain't always the case; and GOG always sold on the part of games being DRM-FREE.

If a game comes to GOG - it seems like there now needs to a be a description of exactly what parts of the game are what on the game page: what's Single Player offline; Single Player online-only; Multiplayer via LAN; Multiplayer via GOG Galaxy; etc etc.

For example, for Hitman 2016 it sounds like it should read like this on the store page:
Single Player offline - Story Mode and Bonus Missions.
Single player online-only - Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts.

Stuff needs to be clear, if they're going to do stuff like this and let stuff like this onto the store, so the buyer's informed.

Of course, this is supposed to be DRM-FREE Store - so, it should never come to that in the 1st place.

I would expect as more games lean into online services and especially proprietary ones (like Steam has, GOG, UPLAY, etc) w/ like Achievements, Cloud Saves, Stat-Keeping/Leaderboards - these things could become required, not optional....as in you'll need to be online entirely for the game to actually function, whether single-player or not.

These things listed in my previous paragraph should ALWAYS be optional; and these games should still work offline with local saves to your PC and save offline.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by MysterD
mrkgnao: nothing has exploded yet. Nor will it.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I'm not sure so sure about that. GOG has lost money recently according to their own financial reports.

It could be partly or mostly or fully due to other reasons. Or it also could be partly or mostly or fully to them having done things like banning Devotion and also lying about the reason why, and/or allowing DRM-infested games onto their store.

My impression is that that bad decisions that GOG continually makes has a cumulative effect of whittling down their customer base over more and more over time. But that's just a theory and I could be wrong about that.

And on the other hand, GOG has plenty of customers who don't care at all about it becoming a DRM store. Maybe they will be enough to sustain it going forward (but maybe they won't).
Many people are comparing Q1/Q2 from 2020 to 2021. The issue here though is the situation that happened in 2020, the global lockdown took place during this time in Q1/Q2 2020 so online purchases increased substantially at the beginning as people were grabbing things to keep themselves busy, nearly every online store posted higher than normal profits during this time. On top of that early 2020 saw a wave of attention on The Witcher series from the Netflix series which caused a huge sales boost for The Witcher 3 (The game also released on Switch in that period which boosted CDPR).

By Q1 2021 lockdowns in many places had ended and people were trying to return to normal so naturally that sales boost would go down

Not saying people are wrong that it wasn't as good, just saying it may not be because of any boycotts or bad business decisions alone.

Edit2: I gave the game 1 star and will now try to forget this games existence. And again, a disclaimer would be nice since the description of this being DRM-free is misleading.
StingingVelvet: A lot of those people might think it was finally made into an offline game, and will refund when they find out otherwise. That's probably the only thing that could turn this around really, a deluge of refunds. We shall see.
Yeah, I think silence will be our answer fo the next couple days (followed by a half-assed answer/explanation), but what can you do. :P
A wave of refunds might actually happen, with there not being a mention of all the missing content (before someone mentions it, there's more missing than the store page lets on) on the store page and all.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by NuffCatnip
Gognarok: it says nothing.
you could simply calculate "days since release" / "amount of sales" an you get a high value in the beginning
this statistical value will decrease dramatically each day in comparison to other "top" games.
furthermore GOG has the possibility to prioritise games in this list.
mrkgnao: But we know how they calculate it, more or less.

It's the amount of money (not copies) the game sold in the last two weeks or so. So in a few hours it bypassed everything else that was sold in the last two weeks or so.
then it's even less meaningful, especially if they calculate with the base price instead of the reduced prize.
i could imagine that refunds are also not considered.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Gognarok
high rated
mrkgnao: You say "it only takes that much of a spark, before stuff will blow up". For you personally, what is that line that if GOG crosses, you will stop buying here? It's not their releasing one game with DRM, I presume.
Shanuca: I know you're talking to another person, but I would like to share my "line". I would definitely stop buying from GOG if they ever stop to give us the option to play the games from offline installers. As long as this is a possibility, I'll keep getting whatever games I can here because I won't be locked to Galaxy or some kind of launcher thing. But I definitely agree with the whole discussion about this release, it's not only some kind of extra small DLC, is a HUGE part of the game. Even if I have the possibility to play this game offline, I would have a REALLY limited experience.
You've yet to know the worst, man. Offline singleplayer in Hitman(2016) is a mocking joke, an open insult. Because game's progression is locked behind online-only. You can't even have items and inventory unless you connect to online DRM.
And user-generated content? It's locked behind online-only as well.
For the fact mistreatment doesn't end when you opt-in into online services. Because if you have unstable internet connection you'd be thrown out of the game all the time. This is the worst anti-consumer DRM that quickly eats on your nerve.

Want another fun fact about GOG's release of the game? GOG release has no difference from Steam release. Literally. Game has been on bigger discount on Steam already, and given away for free on Epic.
People have waited 5 years for GOG release for nothing.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by trynoval