It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
I use a separate account for the forum.
high rated
Let's try something else:

Did anyone enjoy that part in the Bangkok level where Agent 47 talks about how the Republic of China AKA Taiwan is the rightful sovereign of China and that the Communist Party of China are illegitimate?
Ancient-Red-Dragon: And despite its DRM, this Hitman GOTY game is currently the #1 bestseller on their whole store, from which they may well take the message that it doesn't matter too much if they keep putting DRM into their games.
I wonder if it's actually a bestseller? We don't get to see how many copies are sold, nor do we have things like Steam Spy or the rough estimate of 1 review for every 1000 purchases from Steam. Point being, it could be made up.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by _Auster_
Ancient-Red-Dragon: And despite its DRM, this Hitman GOTY game is currently the #1 bestseller on their whole store, from which they may well take the message that it doesn't matter too much if they keep putting DRM into their games.
_Auster_: I wonder if it's actually a bestseller? We don't get to see how many copies are sold, nor do we have things like Steam Spy or the rough estimate of 1 review for every 1000 purchases from Steam. Point being, it could be made up.
I think it's most likely the best seller by virtue of the fact that it's the most exciting thing released today.

It can be a best seller, but it could still be a disappointment for GOG if there's lots of refunds, if sales drop off, or if they don't meet expectations.

Not to mention all those negative reviews will hurt. A casual buyer, unaware of what Hitman is, might stumble upon the page, find the screenshots interesting, then see the negative score and get scared off.
high rated
Sheershaw, you're reminding me how "Devotion" (made by "Red Candle Games") was removed for infinitely less, for a hidden Winnie the Pooh obscure easter egg reference, but "Hitman" is allowed to do for whatever reason.
mrkgnao: They use the reduced price, not the base price. But I believe you are right about refunds.

Still, I think it's quite significant and representative of the silent majority of GOG clients, who don't use the forum and don't mind a bit of DRM here and there.
Sheershaw: I have to say I am confused by GOG customers who don't care about DRM. Why even bother with this store if you don't care about DRM free gaming? You might as well just use Steam in that case.
I don't really know, because I'm obviously not one of them, but here are some guesses:
1) Because they believed the media that repeatedly states that the main reason to buy on GOG is because they sell Good Old Games (yes, even in 2021, that's what you'll find online), came here for HOMM3, liked the grey, and stayed
2) Because they like galaxy
3) Because their friends are here and they want to play multiplayer games with them
4) Because they play a lot of Gwent and occasionally buy other games as well
5) Because they love The Witcher 3 and want to support CDP

The forum is an "echo room" of die-hard DRM-free people and it makes us think that everybody else on GOG is here for the same reason. They are not. And they are the majority.
high rated
liara42: Sheershaw, you're reminding me how "Devotion" (made by "Red Candle Games") was removed for infinitely less, for a hidden Winnie the Pooh obscure easter egg reference, but "Hitman" is allowed to do for whatever reason.
The reason is GOG want to be more profitable and want Chinese money and newer "AAA" games money. Problem is, they become Steam and they have to compete with Steam, which they can't do.
trynoval: There are lots and lots of people who support and buy games here because it helps pushing DRM-free cause. A collective power of voting with your wallet. What GOG is doing now is outright treachery.
mrkgnao: I think you may have misunderstood me.

You say this is "outright treachery". So will you stop buying here? Because I did, 10 months ago.
I already stopped buying there for number of reasons long time ago. Been thinking of revisiting my decision lately, start buying from GOG again. Because I general I'm very supportive of pro-consumer practices and DRM-free cause. Even while I've stopped buying here personally, I've kept on advising GOG.com as a good pro-consumer store along with Steam.
But well..

And yes, guy here who said that there are no GOG haters here, is spot-on. People boycott GOG because they want to defend it's values, and wish best for the store. While decision-makers in the company behind such DRMed releases being blind and short-sighted, destroying store's reputation and washing out core principle that makes this store possible.

The only GOG haters are biased people who like DRM and mistreating video game fans.
mrkgnao: I think you may have misunderstood me.

You say this is "outright treachery". So will you stop buying here? Because I did, 10 months ago.
trynoval: I already stopped buying there for number of reasons long time ago. Been thinking of revisiting my decision lately, start buying from GOG again. Because I general I'm very supportive of pro-consumer practices and DRM-free cause. Even while I've stopped buying here personally, I've kept on advising GOG.com as a good pro-consumer store along with Steam.
But well..

And yes, guy here who said that there are no GOG haters here, is spot-on. People boycott GOG because they want to defend it's values, and wish best for the store. While decision-makers in the company behind such DRMed releases being blind and short-sighted, destroying store's reputation and washing out core principle that makes this store possible.

The only GOG haters are biased people who like DRM and mistreating video game fans.
You might want to consider getting yourself listed on the boycotting thread here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post1
trynoval: I already stopped buying there for number of reasons long time ago. Been thinking of revisiting my decision lately, start buying from GOG again. Because I general I'm very supportive of pro-consumer practices and DRM-free cause. Even while I've stopped buying here personally, I've kept on advising GOG.com as a good pro-consumer store along with Steam.
But well..

mrkgnao: You might want to consider getting yourself listed on the boycotting thread here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post1
Thanks. But in general, like silent majority, If I boycott, I just do it. Online petitions never work anyway.
low rated
liara42: I use a separate account for the forum.
Ah, you're a sockpuppet account then. ;)
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
This is not a DRM-free game. This game includes always-online single-player DRM, which completely goes against the principle of DRM-free that your store was founded on and leaves what little was remaining of your store's reputation in tatters.

I insist that you remove this DRMed product from your store immediately (and then you might consider turning your attention to the other games on this list).
Might be better to remove and then force the publishers/devs to fix the reason why it was removed, then if fixed, bring back.
high rated
StingingVelvet: The reason is GOG want to be more profitable and want Chinese money and newer "AAA" games money. Problem is, they become Steam and they have to compete with Steam, which they can't do.
Yeah, they've fumbled every chance they've had to build toward this (some spectacularly)... and they'll never have the money needed to be a BIG player anyway.

Who sold them on this trajectory?

It's sad. They (CDPR and GOG) had a good niche, good material, and massive good will. They could have ridden this into strong, mid-tier (and profitable) games for decades. But they seemingly wanted more... and it's hurt both CDPR and GOG.

Depressing. *sigh*
Post edited September 23, 2021 by kai2
high rated
liara42: Might be better to remove and then force the publishers/devs to fix the reason why it was removed, then if fixed, bring back.
This is probably the most reasonable solution here. GOG is a DRM-free store. If the game is not or cannot be DRM-free, then it doesn't belong on GOG. If IOI wants to modify the game so it is DRM-free, then it can return.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SpikedWallMan