It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
Gersen: Not to mention that there is apparently already a "mod" on the Nexus for Hitman 3 that allows you to play the online content offline.
This is an important point to bring up. There does in fact appear to be offline mods for both Hitman 2 and Hitman 3. I didn't see one for Hitman GOTY, but if there are offline mods available for 2 and 3 then there shouldn't be a technical hurdle that is preventing IOI from removing the online requirement.

Maybe the ideal solution here is for IOI to finish waiting out their dumb EGS exclusivity period for Hitman 3 and then releasing a Hitman: World of Assassination Complete Edition on GOG which is basically offline-modded Hitman 3 bundled with the legacy packs for 1 & 2?
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SpikedWallMan
high rated
I was wondering, if HITMAN GOTY is pretty much identical to the Steam version and GOG doesn't seem to have anything against it, why wait years to release it here? Why not also release HITMAN 2 while you're at it?

GOG is being beaten twice, by IOI that doesn't want to release its games at the same time as the other platforms and depriving GOG of substantial earnings, and then by its customers who rightly don't want a game with DRM on the platform.
I can't think of a more idiotic decision than this.
high rated
Katzapult: If someone of GOGs staff reads this, please stand by your values. That's the one major perk you have compared to other gaming stores.
Don't ask them to stand by their values, demand that they keep their promises.

Values change, people naturally change their views. What should not change are commitments, at least not onesidedly. We stood by -- some enthusiastically, some with shifty eyes, some with shaking fists -- when they dropped the secondary clauses of the site's previously very explicit contract, purportedly to preserve its main reason for being.

This should not be about asking favors. If they don't honor the one remaining clause, they're straight-up frauds.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by skirtish
high rated
This is a grotesque mistake by GOG management. You are doing irreversible damage to the brand just to sell one game. And it's a pointless move. Steam is the superior service platform. The only reason to buy on GOG is games being DRM-free. You remove that and you are effectively killing the website.
high rated
Alexim: GOG is being beaten twice, by IOI that doesn't want to release its games at the same time as the other platforms and depriving GOG of substantial earnings, and then by its customers who rightly don't want a game with DRM on the platform.
I can't think of a more idiotic decision than this.
This is a very good point. In doing this, GOG is settling for the worst of both worlds. They are technically inferior and have later releases than Steam and they are also jettisoning their one remaining unique selling point and the reason many people were shopping on GOG in the first place.

I fear this move is going to position them in a very dangerous 'no-mans-land', where they simply have nothing special to offer and increasing numbers of people will leave. If the management can't see or understand that, then quite frankly the only thing that can save GOG, imo, would be a complete change of leadership.
high rated
What the f**k, GOG? What is wrong with you?

Who thought it would be a GREAT idea to insult your customers with this embarrassing DRM'ed piece of shit release? Do you even realize that CDP as a company is not blessed with a particularly good image at the moment? How come you easily manage to make it worse and on the other hand there's virtually NOTHING to make up for it?

Oh, this is no DRM you say? So what exactly makes a game proven “DRM-free” in YOUR opinion? Is 50% single-player offline playability already DRM-free enough, or is 75% required? Your excuse is bullshit and you know it! There is NO such thing as being partially DRM-free. It's either free or it's not.

Even when you decided that you couldn't care less for Linux users, I still kept defending the store, because DRM-free games are THAT much important to me. When GOG really decides to slowly turn into a pathetic, dirt-cheap Steam clone without Linux support, I will simply buy my games on Steam then.

Remove this game from the store. OR remove your DRM-free stance, if you don't want to keep it up.
And don't you dare remain all silent about this issue again. Communicate with your customers!
mrkgnao: And on May, once I realised you can download and install steam games without the steam client (which I won't use, just like galaxy), I began buying DRM-free games there instead.
cmclout: How do you download and install DRM-free games on Steam without the Steam client? Everything I have read about DRM-free games on Steam has said that some games are DRM-free, but you still need to use the Steam client to install them (after which, you can copy the files and use them as DRM-free).
See my post here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_free_on_steam_vs_gog_poll/post68
low rated
mrkgnao: You say this is "outright treachery". So will you stop buying here? Because I did, 10 months ago.
GamezRanker: With many game stores/companies, a few people not buying often does little to nothing.

Now this is not to say I don't somewhat admire/applaud such people for sticking to their stances, and I wish/hope such efforts bear some fruit of success(positive change), but the truth of the matter is that with such businesses there are(and will likely always be) many more who buy than those who choose not to.

This is why(as I said), knowing this, I just buy used/at deep discount and strip out DRM to make DRM free backups where needed, while (of course) also pushing for DRM free whenever/wherever possible.

mrkgnao: Still, I think it's quite significant and representative of the silent majority of GOG clients, who don't use the forum and don't mind a bit of DRM here and there.
GamezRanker: You forgot those of us that realize DRM isn't likely going anywhere, and are adapting to the situation.
(rather than trying a Sisyphean task like getting all/most AAA game companies to drop DRM)
I don't really expect my boycott to succeed in changing GOG's trajectory, but before I began it, I felt disgusted with myself for buying here, and now I don't.

As for buying at deep discount. I have always done that, but even with deep discounts GOG games are several times more expensive than steam games (with bundles). And now that I know I do not need the steam client for downloading/installing/playing steam games, I am no longer willing to pay the huge difference for GOG games that might or might not DRM-free, might or might not be up-to-date, and sure to receive poor customer service.
Does anyone else notice that it's no longer predominantly displayed on the front page?

I still have a sliver of hope that it is because of self-awareness and that they're working on the issue now... but then again, the damage has been done already, as this is a major DRM-blunder much worse than the absolver/DEXMD fiasco!

Yes, don't forget that absolver is locked behind a modem wall as well!
Well they removed the Hitman banner and replaced it with Sable, I don't think they have ever done that before after only 24 hours from the release, especially with a game from a much smaller company.
high rated
Resist and fight against DRM, which should never infiltrate GOG store.
I'm at the point where I have next to no faith in IOI to do anything. Again, five years down the line and they never bothered putting proper offline for 2016, 2, or 3 when people know they can rework the Mastery System to save on a local file. Hell, back in 2016, they did change it a bit so it was 100% online only to, "You can at least play with what you unlocked online, offline." They're just too lazy and incompetent when they know the small community around them will suck their dicks in desperation of AAA stealth games and, "muh independent company'" (who now have two studio locations and have literal access to the Bond IP right now). Hell, taking down the stupid servers and making Mastery offline would be cheaper.

So I'd say the ball is on GOG's court and unfortunately, part of me feels they'll try to sweep this under the floorboards. Hope I'm wrong.
low rated
wolfsite: Well they removed the Hitman banner and replaced it with Sable, I don't think they have ever done that before after only 24 hours from the release, especially with a game from a much smaller company.
i guess they did it because of the many, many bad reviews
Obi-Wan is in tears. You were supposed to destroy the DRMers, not join them.

GamezRanker: Visual record of GOG's release of Hitman GOTY
(content note: clip is sfw, from Seinfeld, and has sound)
This guy... Dying in a car again... First a dinosaur, now it catches on fire. Now I wonder how many roles like this he's had :D
GamezRanker: With many game stores/companies, a few people not buying often does little to nothing.

Now this is not to say I don't somewhat admire/applaud such people for sticking to their stances, and I wish/hope such efforts bear some fruit of success(positive change), but the truth of the matter is that with such businesses there are(and will likely always be) many more who buy than those who choose not to.

This is why(as I said), knowing this, I just buy used/at deep discount and strip out DRM to make DRM free backups where needed, while (of course) also pushing for DRM free whenever/wherever possible.

You forgot those of us that realize DRM isn't likely going anywhere, and are adapting to the situation.
(rather than trying a Sisyphean task like getting all/most AAA game companies to drop DRM)
mrkgnao: I don't really expect my boycott to succeed in changing GOG's trajectory, but before I began it, I felt disgusted with myself for buying here, and now I don't.

As for buying at deep discount. I have always done that, but even with deep discounts GOG games are several times more expensive than steam games (with bundles). And now that I know I do not need the steam client for downloading/installing/playing steam games, I am no longer willing to pay the huge difference for GOG games that might or might not DRM-free, might or might not be up-to-date, and sure to receive poor customer service.
But just like on that original thread, these games that don't require the client are mostly going to be shovelware and stuff that's already on itch.io. The main point that you don't get is a lot of people are here for the big games. Whether that's an AAA game that just had it's locks removed or popular indies, that's what they want.

If Fuzzy's Amazing Quest were up there on the banner yesterday instead of Hitman, most people would be confused or probably just avoid it. Because most people are not interested in Fuzzy's Amazing Quest. Even if it was released on Steam without needing the client. They wanted Hitman, and they wanted it DRM-Free for real. That's what people wanted.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by thefallenalchemist