It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
emme: Got the game open while offline, and this seems to indicate that sadly, yes... ALL the progression (challenges/mastery and inventory) is limited to online only.

This is beyond disappointing.
If GOG doesn't care about this stuff, then why should I use it?
In "the other place" at least I get proper Linux support.

Doesn't GOG want to stay relevant?
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Klumpen0815
I am still confused....

What is it that I will be actually getting should I decide to buy the game?

1) What exactly does "progress is not saved offline" mean? If I complete a level and get to the next - does the game save my status or will I always have to start from the first level?
2) What does "entry point" mean? I just played the "old" Hitman games and, as far as I can remember, I *always* start at the same location.
3) What is the "user created content"? Are these the "contracts"/missions that are created by other players?
4) "Escalation missions"??? Are these extra missions in a new location with a new story - or just another assignment or special challange in the very same levels and environments?
5) And what are "Elusive Targets"?

Is the "single player offline mode" too short to be considered a "full game"?

Because, with "Mario Maker", for example, I am totally happy to play and build for myself. I really don't care for other people's creation (as great as they might be).

I'd totally appreciate if some could clarify these things for me. Thank you!
@MrWichtig, I'll just quote another guy:

You can play through the campaign, save and load. None of the unlocks are saved (aside from which missions you've unlocked). The campaign is very short however and designed with you replaying missions multiple times using unlocks, different entry points, and start disguises (all of which have to be unlocked in online mode for them to become available offline). Also, there isn't any other than the "singleplayer" aspect to this game. All that online mode does is tracks your progress and unlocks stuff (you really are suppose to replay these levels multiple times in many different ways, which is why people are so annoyed by online requirements still being there) and puts you on global leaderboards (which have top results filled with cheaters anyway).
For more detailed breakdown you can read this list:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/DenuvoGames/discussions/0/2951536988384791347/

As for making own UGC/missions, from what I know you need to be connected online as well. But I'll ask a friend to confirm it. )
3) What is the "user created content"? Are these the "contracts"/missions that are created by other players?
Yes.
4) "Escalation missions"??? Are these extra missions in a new location with a new story - or just another assignment or special challange in the very same levels and environments?
Just more challenges. But whole game have only 6 maps/areas, so playing them differently is where most of playtime being made.
Another set of missions/challenges to play.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by trynoval
@ trynoval

Thank you for finding this quote. I really lost track so many pages.....

"you really are suppose to replay these levels multiple times in many different ways,"

Okay. While I don't care for user generated stuff and global leaderboards, this really reads like I cannot play the game the way I am suppose to be playing it.

I will check out the steam community link and just replay the older Hitmen.
high rated
MrWichtig: I am still confused....

1) What exactly does "progress is not saved offline" mean? If I complete a level and get to the next - does the game save my status or will I always have to start from the first level?
2) What does "entry point" mean? I just played the "old" Hitman games and, as far as I can remember, I *always* start at the same location.

Because, with "Mario Maker", for example, I am totally happy to play and build for myself. I really don't care for other people's creation (as great as they might be).

It basically means that any challenge you complete won't be counted as completed as the game requires you to be online. Also unlocks like weapons, disguises and starting points won't be unlocked unless you are online.

It means you start the level in a different spot. For example on the Paris level you can start the game as a waiter in the kitchen instead of entering the building like all the other guests, wearing your tuxedo and all. It basically gives you a sort of head start because you already have a disguise for some of the restricted areas.

Yes and you also need an internet connection to play them.

From Hitman's wiki:

Escalation Contracts (also known as "Escalations") are a new form of gameplay in the World of Assassination Triology, introduced in HITMAN™. Escalation Contracts require the player to kill certain targets, while giving them a side objective along the levels as the difficulty ramps up.

Again, you need to be online to play them.

They're basically time-limited contracts which you can complete in a certain time window. I don't know how long exactly but they're time-limited content. Once you miss a target they're gone forever. Again, it requires you to be online to play them.

And, yes, you can play the game offline but you don't get the full experience and as you can see almost anything in the game requires a constant internet connection.

Hope that helps!
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Krooked_
high rated
You would think that getting a 1.4 score in record time deserves some attention, I really hope the GOG team is too busy removing every trace of DRM, because if not brace for a nothing response
high rated
Buried In Time: I impulse bought the game as soon as I saw it on the front page, but I would not have had I known of the DRM issues.
As Kloreep said, ask for a refund. They sold you an intentionally defective game. They should return your money!
MrWichtig: I am still confused....

Basically if you play online you unlock new weapons challenges (that will take you to other locations sometimes) and other things like bonus level that will actually make the game feel like a complete hitman game.
If you play offline you can only play each level always like the first time without any extras, and since this game only got 6 levels without extra you lose 90% of what make this game actually fun to play (experiment to complete each missions in multiple ways and get rated if you complete multiple tasks beside the basic kill this person). Escalation missions are just that, the same mission with multiple different things to do, sometimes it's harder, sometimes it's just different and each time you complete that mission in a really different way it will be really fun to experiment the next part.
Elusive contracts are basically extras single player missions that only unlock if they decide to activate them (spoiler they will not activate them in the future since this is a 2016 game) so they are lost forever.
The only thing that is actually "multiplayer" are the user made content, main problem is even if you want to play only that part connected to the internet your save file offline will not be used on the online part so you will need to start from scratch and unlock everything to play that part.
Also here's the main problem, if you are good with the offline version on gog you could just get the same shit on epic for free. Even the steam version got the same offline version (for the steam version you need the steam client, but if you got it offline you can play offline hitman like on gog). Why do you even want to pay 18€ to play the game like you would on steam or epic for a much cheaper price?

It's like you could only play the main quest on morrowind and without the ability to keep items on your inventory. You can technically beat the game if you can equip some items and you can still enjoy only the main quest, but why would you pay for such a limited experience when the full game is much more amazing than that.

I think this game deserve a true drm free version actually, I love it. So much that I already own it twice but I could buy it one more time... But I need a true drm free version and you should not accept a game with this kind of limitations here on gog.
low rated
mrkgnao: You say this is "outright treachery". So will you stop buying here? Because I did, 10 months ago.
With many game stores/companies, a few people not buying often does little to nothing.

Now this is not to say I don't somewhat admire/applaud such people for sticking to their stances, and I wish/hope such efforts bear some fruit of success(positive change), but the truth of the matter is that with such businesses there are(and will likely always be) many more who buy than those who choose not to.

This is why(as I said), knowing this, I just buy used/at deep discount and strip out DRM to make DRM free backups where needed, while (of course) also pushing for DRM free whenever/wherever possible.

mrkgnao: Still, I think it's quite significant and representative of the silent majority of GOG clients, who don't use the forum and don't mind a bit of DRM here and there.
You forgot those of us that realize DRM isn't likely going anywhere, and are adapting to the situation.
(rather than trying a Sisyphean task like getting all/most AAA game companies to drop DRM)
Post edited September 23, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
Memecchi: You would think that getting a 1.4 score in record time deserves some attention, I really hope the GOG team is too busy removing every trace of DRM, because if not brace for a nothing response
GOG can't remove the DRM, it's IOI that needs to remove the DRM. GOG are to blame for accepting this, not because they themselves haven't removed the DRM.
high rated
OK GoG. I was always on your side. But whats the reason now to not use different store? For example Epic's free Hitman version? Both are DRMed somehow :(
Don't ruin your last pillar - DRM free. Otherwise you may lose lot of you customers.
low rated
***moved to prior post to combine them***
Post edited September 23, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline ...
... but even they will be made more difficult. If you play offline, you will have to play the later missions without the disguises, gadgets and entry points unlocked in the earlier missions. Because unlocks are tied to the always online DRM too, and not "only", as you say, Escalation and Elusive Target missions.
Thanks for everyone spelling out the details for me.

@ Krooked_
> Hope that helps!

Yes, and it sucks :)
I totally understand that I need an online connection for user generated content. And I am happy to refrain from it.
But I really don't get why I have to be online for the other items. And apparently they really make up the game.

@LiefLayer
> if you are good with the offline version on gog you could just get it on epic for free.
Okay. Then it really does not make any sense to purchase the game when I could easily get it legally for free.

Final note:
I don't know whether you have to call it DRM or not, but if the servers are gone someday (and I have heard that such things have happened in the past) then a major part of the game is suddenly unavailable. This doesn't sound too promising...
Post edited September 23, 2021 by MrWichtig
Memecchi: You would think that getting a 1.4 score in record time deserves some attention, I really hope the GOG team is too busy removing every trace of DRM, because if not brace for a nothing response
my name is supyreor catte: GOG can't remove the DRM, it's IOI that needs to remove the DRM. GOG are to blame for accepting this, not because they themselves haven't removed the DRM.
Of course, I mean doing everything at their disposal, like being in talks with IOI