It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
trynoval: DRM agnostic store is a fail of everything DRM-free community and GOG stands for. Imagine newspaper article titles: 100% DRM-Free store GOG starts selling games with DRM, DRM-Free business model is a failure, etc. Going DRM-agnostic store would be an open treachery of DRM-Free cause, and destruction of store's own niche. What's GOG without DRM-free stance? A brand with no real values behind it?
Magnitus: I'll reiterate my past point here, but GOG is a corporation with clear profit-driven responsibilities to investors, not a movement.

Its not like you and me. It doesn't have morals. At this point, its an automaton that makes money for shareholders. I don't hold it liable to higher principles.

I however hold them accountable to an implicit agreement that was made when I handed over my dollars regarding every single game I purchased so far (with regard to sneaking drm in, I purchased these games drm-free and I expect them to stay that way right until the moment the store goes offline).

And regarding future purchases, I expect them to respect my values and not make it a mazelike experience to get the games I want. If they can't manage that, no point in giving them my money right? I don't intend to make every game I purchase a research work into exactly how much drm I'm getting.
GOG is clearly not a movement. But it's a big and integral part of video game and PC market history. Steam and GOG were two storefronts that raised PC market out of DRM war ashes of 00s, when every newspaper been chanting that PC gaming is dead, 95% of PC users are pirates, yada, yada. Those stores provided solutions to existing problems, and proved on practice that it works. It's Steam and GOG, who were the main driving force that formed modern PC market and created modern indie market. Made them big and highly profitable.
It's CD Project Red, who made a best, classical PC only CRPG of late 00s, and sold millions of copies on supposedly "dead" PC.
Those efforts are remembered and respected by PC gaming community, which is millions of people. It's not a small thing, because rarely corporations have this kind of reputation, respect and support by their customers.

And other people who answered you are right - shareholders definitely won't be happy. If company's reputation, market niche and advantage, that were built over more than a decade would be ruined by rushed and imprudent actions of GOG store's management. For breaking things is easy, while restore ruined requires hard work.
high rated
Yeah, no. Fuck this.
Magnitus: Now, if the end-goal was providing a good service sustainably, maybe that would be enough, but with the profit-driven goal of constant growth and "carving a worthy empire", maybe the current revenue stream is a net disappointment (especially when compared to giants like Steam) and they are willing to either scrap the whole thing or reach the next level in terms of incoming profits.
Problem is, "carving a worthy empire" is often not the wisest strategy, and empire can fall just as quickly as it's been built.
GOG's DRM-free stand is main feature that made GOG store. Along with re-releasing old classics and patching compatibility for new OSes.
If you take DRM-Free away, there is not much left, except existing customerbase, whose main interest is buying DRM-Free games. Dispute community requests and proposals GOG has been developing slowly and lacking of many modern features. Neither they made big success on Mac and Linux market. Support is barely there, no investments been made in developing of those markets.

No matter the shiny Power Point presentations: if GOG give up on DRM free it will probably fall out of relevance and popularity, and will eventually close doors, like some other digital video game stores.

Yes, DRM-free is a limiting factor for GOG. But at the same time it's the strongest anchor and guarantee of business stability.
high rated
I am so glad, my underpants are analogue.

It would be absurd, if you could only wear half of the underpants, because the other half would only be wearable when you are online.

What if i am in the mood to wear those fancy blue underpants today..or i wet my undies?
If i need to be logged into a kind of underpants server to change them, this could cause some delicate (public) situations.

Gog, you are my only & trusted underpants seller.
Your undies exhibit a high level of comfort combined with a pleasant feeling on the skin.

Please kindly stay true to your principles.
high rated
was about to buy but then saw that DRM are still there.

What's the point of buying on GOG if you go that route?
If I want better services, I go on Steam.
If I want cheaper prices, I go on EGS.

Don't fool yourself, your service is fine, your prices are acceptable, but the DRM-free thing is what makes you stand out. Without it, you're not much in a tough market.
high rated
Oh, the old Hitman game instead of Hitman 2 + legacy content.
Oh, the price.
Oh, it's still online.

Merry Christmas everybody!
low rated
In 17 Hours; 20 pages of hate, and 17 pages of negative reviews. Two things come to mind:

1) Hitman 2 and 3 will never be coming to GOG.
2) Download offline installers now before the game is pulled.
high rated
Mobeeuz: In 17 Hours; 20 pages of hate, and 17 pages of negative reviews. Two things come to mind:

1) Hitman 2 and 3 will never be coming to GOG.
2) Download offline installers now before the game is pulled.
Who cares to download something that has a ''always online'' factor to enjoy most of the game? I am serius why would anyone care for that here as its current as it is now no different as a whole then getting it from another storefront with view little benefit here do to the facts mentioned of how when the servers for that part goes down its no longer a thing and no everyone has good net to access the features in this form it has
mrkgnao: And on May, once I realised you can download and install steam games without the steam client (which I won't use, just like galaxy), I began buying DRM-free games there instead.
How do you download and install DRM-free games on Steam without the Steam client? Everything I have read about DRM-free games on Steam has said that some games are DRM-free, but you still need to use the Steam client to install them (after which, you can copy the files and use them as DRM-free).
Sheershaw: I have to say I am confused by GOG customers who don't care about DRM. Why even bother with this store if you don't care about DRM free gaming? You might as well just use Steam in that case.
I believe most people do not draw a hard buy/no-buy line when it comes to DRM. They accept it as a necessary evil if they want to enjoy certain forms of entertainment. I also believe that many people (such as myself) PREFER games to be DRM-free for a variety of reasons. As such, we will buy a DRM-free version of the game on GOG when available rather than purchasing its DRM-encumbered version on Steam or elsewhere.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by cmclout
mqstout: By the way, "DRM-agnostic" has been tried and failed numerous times. ShinyLoot is but one example. It's hard to convince both customers and producers when you don't have a clear niche.
Humble sells games for Epic, GOG, Origin, Steam, and Uplay, as well as DRM-free. Humble's games page currently shows 10,805 total results, and of that, 8,674 are for Steam and 1,430 are for DRM-free, so it definitely can work, though I sincerely hope that's not the future of GOG.
mqstout: By the way, "DRM-agnostic" has been tried and failed numerous times. ShinyLoot is but one example. It's hard to convince both customers and producers when you don't have a clear niche.
cmclout: Humble sells games for Epic, GOG, Origin, Steam, and Uplay, as well as DRM-free. Humble's games page currently shows 10,805 total results, and of that, 8,674 are for Steam and 1,430 are for DRM-free, so it definitely can work, though I sincerely hope that's not the future of GOG.
Modern Humble is definitely a store you don't want to be. Also in belongs to IGN.
How great Humble once was, before it switched owners.. Sigh..
high rated
60 bucks for a game that was given for free, with no sequels and without removing DRM???
high rated
I am hoping that we will get an update from GOG today, as things stand this game needs to be removed from the store. Most commercial games now have live services and I accept that the online side of this game will eventually shut down. We are however talking about sIngle player content and its progression which in this release is not possible without an online connection. This goes against the DRM Free stance. GOG makes a point of saying that the curate the games they sell too which makes you wonder how this slipped through the net.

All going well a staff member will update us today saying that a patch is coming to resolve this and everything will be sorted, it does though make me worry about the future of GOG especially if there is financial pressure to go against their original vision, we know that GOG doesn't make a lot of money and manages to just about break even.

Lets see what happens!
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
From the reviews it sound like the game is heavily DRMed the DRM-Free section is just a demo. That goes completely against what GOG stands for.
high rated
blotunga: From the reviews it sound like the game is heavily DRMed the DRM-Free section is just a demo. That goes completely against what GOG stands for.
^This. The game has to fixed, or removed.

Or GOG should simply openly state they don't care about DRM-free any more.