It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Attacked on Titan.

FLASHBACK™ is now available, only on GOG.com, 10% off until January 3rd.

As resilient as its scientist protagonist, legendary platformer FLASHBACK™ returns in its 25th anniversary with a Modern mode! This optional mode brings a post-FX graphic filter, remastered music and sound, tutorials, and a Rewind function which should make your attempt at escaping Titan slightly easier.

FLASHBACK™ is a timed GOG.com exclusive.
MarkoH01: Also I would be interested in having a link to one of those videos you looked up.
Sure.

Here is footage stated by the uploader to be running on real A600 hardware.

Here's a video posted by Raphael Gesqua, one of the composers for Flashback.

Here is a longplay.

Here it is for PC DOS.

Here it is for Mega Drive.

Here it is on Mega CD.

All of the videos I have seen (aside from the one you linked) have the correct aspect. If that's not enough, go browse around in the screenshots on MobyGames.

Still not good enough? How about the screenshots on the back of the actual boxes?

I have measured the dimensions of some of those in my image editor and they work out as even circles. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

That is a stretched video. That is incorrect and not running on real hardware.

That isn't even Flashback so it's irrelevant. Any game can be run in the wrong aspect, especially under emulation.

That's how it's supposed to look.

MarkoH01: Clearly not 4:3.
Games weren't always running at perfect 4:3 aspect ratio reaching all edges of the screen. Flashback, for example, uses a display area of 256x224 with borders. The new release of Flashback is stretching/squashing everything.
Post edited December 06, 2018 by Serren
Serren: All of the videos I have seen (aside from the one you linked) have the correct aspect. If that's not enough, go browse around in the screenshots on MobyGames.

Still not good enough? How about the screenshots on the back of the actual boxes?

I have measured the dimensions of some of those in my image editor and they work out as even circles. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.
I was always talking about 4:3 aspect ratio only and also only talking about the PC version as well. I never disagreed to the circle not being stretched at all - I only disagreed wit the ratio being 4:3 which usually is the case in older PC games afaik.

Serren: That is a stretched video. That is incorrect and not running on real hardware.
How could you figure out on which hardware ithe game run for this video?

Serren: That isn't even Flashback so it's irrelevant. Any game can be run in the wrong aspect, especially under emulation.
That's why I chose this game - it's not emulated it's a native windows game. I only chose it to demonstrate proper 4:3.

Serren: Games weren't always running at perfect 4:3 aspect ratio reaching all edges of the screen. Flashback, for example, uses a display area of 256x224 with borders. The new release of Flashback is stretching/squashing everything.
That was news to me. That explains it.
MarkoH01: How could you figure out on which hardware ithe game run for this video?
In the video series for the video you linked the Morph shown in the cutscene is blue so it's not Amiga, and Conrad has a white shirt, so it's most likely Mega Drive.

MarkoH01: That's why I chose this game - it's not emulated it's a native windows game. I only chose it to demonstrate proper 4:3.
Proper aspect ratios not only mean having horizontal and vertical resolutions divisible with equal quotients, but should also maintain the integrity of what is being displayed (ie. no stretching). I did look at an official screenshot for Tunguska and it seems to be displaying circular shapes correctly (motorcycle wheels).

Flashback in comparison should have circular item icons, Delphine Software's logo (camera with film reels) and Conrad's irises on the title screen. Upon a cursory search, I couldn't find any footage of the intro or the title screen for this re-release to see how squashed all of those might look.

MarkoH01: That was news to me. That explains it.
The PC had a lot of oddball resolutions, some undocumented. 320x200 and 320x240 were often used and I wouldn't be surprised if PC DOS Flashback uses the latter to fit the whole game area on screen. 320x400 was another interesting DOS era resolution, but not seen much.
Post edited December 06, 2018 by Serren
Serren: Proper aspect ratios not only mean having horizontal and vertical resolutions divisible with equal quotients, but should also maintain the integrity of what is being displayed (ie. no stretching). I did look at an official screenshot for Tunguska and it seems to be displaying circular shapes correctly (motorcycle wheels).

Flashback in comparison should have circular item icons, Delphine Software's logo (camera with film reels) and Conrad's irises on the title screen. Upon a cursory search, I couldn't find any footage of the intro or the title screen for this re-release to see how squashed all of those might look.
Of course they should. My whole argumentation was based on the idea that a game is either 16:9/16:10 or 4:3.

Now that we have made clear that 4:3 is not even intended for this game I wonder if the devs of this rerelease would fix the incorrect aspect ratio? Maybe I should contact them since I also have some other issues to tell them which I already reported here in this thread.
Post edited December 06, 2018 by MarkoH01
GOG.com: Attacked on Titan.

FLASHBACK™ is now available, only on GOG.com, 10% off until January 3rd.

As resilient as its scientist protagonist, legendary platformer FLASHBACK™ returns in its 25th anniversary with a Modern mode! This optional mode brings a post-FX graphic filter, remastered music and sound, tutorials, and a Rewind function which should make your attempt at escaping Titan slightly easier.

FLASHBACK™ is a timed GOG.com exclusive.
For the PC, it's GOG exclusive. The console versions have just landed.

Sad to see no PC 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition(s) only for the game consoles: PS4, XBone & Switch.

Since Microids is busy doing remastered ports of classic games such as this game and "Asterix & Obelix - XXL2", please release "Toki - Collector's Edition" currently on Switch for other platforms PC, PS4 and XBone. I still got the original boxed Amiga version that love to see updated.
Attachments:
So who should we contact to report those issues I mentioned earlier including the wrong aspect ratio? Anuman interactive? Microids? There's not much GOG could do about it so I'd like to contact the devs here.
Post edited December 07, 2018 by MarkoH01
Is there any chance for the DOS version (preferably the floppy release, although the CD re-release had different music and cutscenes and it might be worthwhile to see both) to be available in addition to this?
Croyzers: Thanks for such a great response! I've been able to get RE working, along with the Amiga music files! However, I'm stuck at the SegaCD Voice.VCE. I found the file but when I copy it over into the data folder, I don't get the speach "Hey it's me" when opening up the holocube. I've tried copying+pasting the file everywhere, but no joy. Maybe I'm missing something :(
Pond86: I don't use the voice. But I did try to copy the file and ran into the same issue as you. I'm not sure why its not reading it as it should be.
Me too! I'm able to run ugly sequences from PC-CD version with full voice over, but the Amiga VOICE.VCE file doesn't work with ordinary PC-Floppy version sequences.
If anyone could help...
thefifthhorseman.229: Is there any chance for the DOS version (preferably the floppy release, although the CD re-release had different music and cutscenes and it might be worthwhile to see both) to be available in addition to this?
There is always a chance, but it's a slim one I'm afraid ;(
MarkoH01: So who should we contact to report those issues I mentioned earlier including the wrong aspect ratio? Anuman interactive? Microids? There's not much GOG could do about it so I'd like to contact the devs here.
We need to contact Microids/Anuman.
"Microïds is a French software brand belonging to Anuman" (taken from Wiki)
Post edited December 08, 2018 by Cadaver747
Cadaver747: We need to contact Microids/Anuman.
Thank you - will do :)
I'm late to this conversation (and haven't bought it yet) but just wanted to say thank you gog for bringing Flashback... well, back. :D

It's one of my favorite games ever, and it's very nice that we can choose between the new stuff or the more classical look (although I saw the comments in this thread about it not being exactly like the original).

Anyway I will definitely buy it.
Pond86: I don't use the voice. But I did try to copy the file and ran into the same issue as you. I'm not sure why its not reading it as it should be.
Cadaver747: Me too! I'm able to run ugly sequences from PC-CD version with full voice over, but the Amiga VOICE.VCE file doesn't work with ordinary PC-Floppy version sequences.
If anyone could help...
thefifthhorseman.229: Is there any chance for the DOS version (preferably the floppy release, although the CD re-release had different music and cutscenes and it might be worthwhile to see both) to be available in addition to this?
Cadaver747: There is always a chance, but it's a slim one I'm afraid ;(
MarkoH01: So who should we contact to report those issues I mentioned earlier including the wrong aspect ratio? Anuman interactive? Microids? There's not much GOG could do about it so I'd like to contact the devs here.
Cadaver747: We need to contact Microids/Anuman.
Just contacted them under
https://support.microids.com/en/support/tickets/new

Maybe if others contact them too - especially because of the stretched aspect ratio - they will correct it.
MarkoH01: Just contacted them under

Maybe if others contact them too - especially because of the stretched aspect ratio - they will correct it.
You inspired me to send a ticket to Microids regarding incorrect 4:3 aspect ratio. I had to check it by myself and for this run original 1993 DOS version in DOSBox (screenshots attached). My screenshots look somehow different, in Flashback 25th Anniversary the picture seems heavily flattened (or stretched) while in DOSBox it's a proper 4:3 box.

Alas I have not received any confirmation from Microids to my email address.

P.S. Just in case 25th Anniversary was run on 1280*720 resolution and DOSBox windows size was set again to 1280*720.
Attachments:
MarkoH01: Just contacted them under

Cadaver747: You inspired me to send a ticket to Microids regarding incorrect 4:3 aspect ratio. I had to check it by myself and for this run original 1993 DOS version in DOSBox (screenshots attached). My screenshots look somehow different, in Flashback 25th Anniversary the picture seems heavily flattened (or stretched) while in DOSBox it's a proper 4:3 box.

Alas I have not received any confirmation from Microids to my email address.

P.S. Just in case 25th Anniversary was run on 1280*720 resolution and DOSBox windows size was set again to 1280*720.
Great you joined my call to arms ;) The more the better. Just fyi I also did not receive any confirmation about contacting them but it seems to be the only possibility to contact Microids at all.
MarkoH01: Great you joined my call to arms ;) The more the better. Just fyi I also did not receive any confirmation about contacting them but it seems to be the only possibility to contact Microids at all.
I just received automated email reply, it was found in SPAM folder, you might want to check yours. I have activated Microids account, there I can see my ticket #53230 with screenshots attachments.

As for the REminiscence, could you instruct me on how to put 25th Anniversary edition files there and run it properly please?
MarkoH01: - For the first time ever, play the Director’s Cut version featuring 2 exclusive cutscenes
What are those cutscenes exactly, where can one see them in game? Perhaps you could post a link to YouTube.
Post edited December 15, 2018 by Cadaver747
Cadaver747: I just received automated email reply, it was found in SPAM folder, you might want to check yours. I have activated Microids account, there I can see my ticket #53230 with screenshots attachments.
Will check my spam folder - thank you for telling me.

Cadaver747: As for the REminiscence, could you instruct me on how to put 25th Anniversary edition files there and run it properly please?
You are asking the wrong person (since I only learned aboit it because of this thread) but everything you should need is in this post. Just tell me if you should occur problems. It worked for me so I might be able to help you after all. First try the steps in the linked post.

MarkoH01: - For the first time ever, play the Director’s Cut version featuring 2 exclusive cutscenes
Cadaver747: What are those cutscenes exactly, where can one see them in game? Perhaps you could post a link to YouTube.
I am sure that Serren could help you better here. Again - I did not even know about those additional scenes prior to this release.

I think I just ping him and hope he will answer your question :)
Serren: