It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

F-16 Fighting Falcon

<span class="bold">Falcon Collection</span>, a retro flight sim anthology, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com - with a 40% launch discount on the Weekend Promo: Retro Mishmash.

Falcon was a game changer. Realism was the name of the game, and Falcon did things that have never been done before. Realistic simulated physics, a detailed, first-person cockpit view, and a ridiculous manual. Starting from Falcon in 1987, through Falcon A.T. and Falcon 3.0 - each release brought us closer to the very real flight experience.
Among the games' goodies, you'll also find a bonus as-is copy of Falcon 4.0, but also the "Art of the Kill" instructional video & PDF - a very real lesson, by a very real F-16 pilot, on how to tame the supersonic arsenal. Simulation mechanics are one thing, the spirit of flight is another - and the foreword says it all:
"Art of the Kill has been designed to teach you the fundamentals of Basic Fighter Maneuvers (BFM). As the name implies, BFM is the cornerstone of tactical fighter aviation. Since its principles are rooted in the laws of physics, geometry and aerodynamics, they are non-negotiable and cannot be finessed."
Badass.

Take to the skies in the extremely realistic <span class="bold">Falcon Collection</span> now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
budejovice: Look, if we're going to be throwing out wishlist links for 80s tank sims in a flight sim release thread, then I'm not going to refrain from throwing out a wishlist link for an 80s naval sim.

Vote Strike Fleet! :)
Grargar: No PHM Pegasus?
Sure, vote that one too! It just doesn't fit in my forum title. :)

C'mon folks, Lucas games with, if we're rounding, approximately zero votes!
Post edited October 23, 2015 by budejovice
Tolya: .. to install community projects like BMS, you need to show that you have the original game. Hence the decision to include the original Falcon 4.0 as a bonus.
Vythonaut: A wise decision and a money saver too because the original retail version is too damn expensive on eBay and the Allied Force version, which is cheaper and more readily available, it does not work with BMS.
Allied Force is inferior in every aspect compared to BMS right now. +1 for basically making Falcon4.exe buy-able to be able to install BMS which has clickable 3d cockpit and ingame radio/voice system and everything, it's insane. Sadly my friends here are pretty casual or I would be bombing stuff in a squadron using BMS right now.
Thanks again GOG and I hope some people check it out. Protip: throw away the manual, just set up your stick a little bit like the real one functions using that picture in the BMS changelog manual... and directly join an online squad..oh, and you gonna need a trackir
Post edited October 23, 2015 by AlienMind
Tolya:
What is a "comupter filght simulator"? The gamecard mentions this phrase in the description. Oh, I know, you guys probably meant "comeuppance filth simulator", yes? ;P Just in case "computer flight simulator" was what was actually meant, maybe you should give a heads-up to whichever of your colleagues is responsible for such things. =)
Vythonaut: Yep, and make sure you say a hello to the community so as your account won't be deleted after some time. ;)
Crosmando: I think I'll just take the installers and host them on mediafire for GOGers, just to piss them off
Why do you want to piss them off? They are the core of the Falcon community, the reason why Falcon 4.0 is still the best modern combat flight sim available today. And they did it for free.
Vythonaut: Yep, and make sure you say a hello to the community so as your account won't be deleted after some time. ;)
Crosmando: I think I'll just take the installers and host them on mediafire for GOGers, just to piss them off
We don't need that. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to making it easier for GOGgers to get the mod, but doing that just to piss them off? I know you're Crosmando but c'mon... :P
Just a bit off topic:
GOG you should put again the title of a game to the concerning screenshots when you sell game series or collections.
Like you did back in the good ol' days :P
AlienMind: [...] throw away the manual, just set up your stick a little bit like the real one functions using that picture in the BMS changelog manual... and directly join an online squad. [...]
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that any serious flight simulation enthusiast team (like our e-HAF.org / Virtual Hellenic Air Force) won't accept someone who doesn't even know the basics until the individual completes some training. Unless you join a virtual squadron that keeps things simpler and does casual missions and dogfights and speaks common english on the radio! :)
And another great classic release!

The Falcon 4.0 manual is legendary, it's so thick that it can probably stop bullets and you can finish a short game in your backlog during the time your printer prints out that manual, if you don't run out of toner that is.
jamyskis: You've got quite a few "inferior" versions on here though already - Quake, Quake 2, Doom, Doom 2, Freespace 1, Freespace 2, Descent, Descent 2 - which have been pepped up by source ports and community patches.

What's different in this case? If there were such serious compatibility issues with vanilla 1.08, why not use the Benchmark Sims version? Licensing issues?
Vythonaut: Falcon BMS isn't just a patch, it's a standalone program with it's own installer. I guess it would be a waste of time and resources for GOG to make the original version work right, when it's only needed to have the 4.0 installed, to be able to install BMS to your system. After the installation of BMS, you can uninstall 4.0 from your PC.
Note that you doesn't need to install Falcon 4.0 for BMS to work, you just need to point the BMS installer to Falcon4.exe file during installation. That's all.
tfishell: Falcon 4.0 is mentioned as being compatible with nGlide - http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility - but I guess the BMS work renders any need for an emulator moot? (unless GOG could have added an optional emulated version that doesn't need any "outside" patches/work to at least run, despite being inferior to the community-made stuff)
I can confirm that nGlide works with vanilla Falcon 4.0 (at least on XP SP3). Just be sure to follow instructions on the compatibility page - you have to download additional patch linked there.

On a side note BMS is much more complex than vanilla version, with big emphasis on MUCH. So if you are new to this series maybe you should try vanilla Falcon 4.0 and then upgrade to BMS.
Post edited October 23, 2015 by damson
awalterj: And another great classic release!

The Falcon 4.0 manual is legendary, it's so thick that it can probably stop bullets and you can finish a short game in your backlog during the time your printer prints out that manual, if you don't run out of toner that is.
Thta's when I'm happy I kept the Falcon 3 and 4 manuals in my bookshelf :-P
damson: Note that you doesn't need to install Falcon 4.0 for BMS to work, you just need to point the BMS installer to Falcon4.exe file during installation. That's all.
I agree but that is if you have the CD version of it. If you got the digital version from GOG, you must somehow obtain the falcon4.exe and the easiest way is by installing it. ;)
damson: On a side note BMS is much more complex than vanilla version, with big emphasis on MUCH. So if you are new to this series maybe you should try vanilla Falcon 4.0 and then upgrade to BMS.
...and of course the vanilla version itself shipped with a great big (literal) ring-binder of a manual because it's really complex.. Still, I'm super tempted to finally pick this up at this price, even if I know I'll never make it past the foot-hills of its learning curve.
damson: I can confirm that nGlide works with vanilla Falcon 4.0 (at least on XP SP3). Just be sure to follow instructions on the compatibility page - you have to download additional patch linked there.

On a side note BMS is much more complex than vanilla version, with big emphasis on MUCH. So if you are new to this series maybe you should try vanilla Falcon 4.0 and then upgrade to BMS.
Maybe GOG should include the vanilla Falcon 4.0 + nGlide and patch for those who want to play the original sans BMS?
tfishell: Maybe GOG should include the vanilla Falcon 4.0 + nGlide and patch for those who want to play the original sans BMS?
YES. Please.
Sigh... I need to stop hyping myself for 3D DOS releases. This one also runs like shit on my PC (speaking of Falcon Gold in this case so I guess 3.0). I haven't really been able to get any such games playable acceptably on an i7 and half decent GPU (7970, 280X equivalent). No Strike Commander, no Wing Commander, none of them. Well, this was the last time I've allowed myself to buy one. It's a shame all these oldies but goodies don't have "Special Edition" versions like the X-Wing series which run great on modern systems with whatever work GOG did or didn't do for their re-releases. It's not like I expect some silky smooth 60fps out of these oldies but a solid 30 should be doable :(
Post edited October 24, 2015 by Al3xand3r