It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The third generation of the insanely extensive RPG is here.

Avernum: Escape From The Pit, a vastly enhanced modern remake of one of the biggest and longest-running hard-core isometric RPG worlds that came to being with Exile in 1995, is available 50% off until Monday, for Windows and Mac on GOG.com.

Avernum: Escape From The Pit tells an epic story of a huge underground prison colony - place of exile for empire's banished citizens, outcasts, criminals, and bastards, that becomes a thriving kingdom of its own over the course of hundreds of years of existence. For a computer game, it's quite impossible to recreate what pen & paper role playing games offer: endless adventures in a land of possibilities limited only by one's imagination. That's why most computer RPGs don't even try to reach that goal. Jeff Vogel's Avernum: Escape From The Pit defies that rule, and is one of the few games in the genre that come close to the analog predecessors in terms of complexity, depth, and scale.

If you're up for the challenge of a insanely vast feature-packed world that can takes months to explore in full, dare to descend into Avernum: Escape From The Pit. The 50% off release discount lasts until Monday, January 12, at 10:59AM GMT.
vicklemos: sorry for being nosey, but can you clarify this installer issues? just downloaded some tux games and they ran fine yesterday
Linux games are fine - this is about Windows-only titles.

See:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/on_gnulinux_has_anyone_be_able_to_extract_the_rar_innosetup_installers

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/dont_slip_into_drm_swamp_stop_using_password_protection_on_installer_packages
We can wait. No problem at all ... there are more important things/problems around the World.
vicklemos: sorry for being nosey, but can you clarify this installer issues? just downloaded some tux games and they ran fine yesterday
Some linux fans arent happy with the new installers being used. Thats the gist of it. Theres two long running threads about it....
Hey y'all :)

Avernum: Escape From The Pit should be showing up in the search and the newsposts and all the other related doodads should also be displaying soon :)

Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone :)
Looks like an interesting game.
vicklemos: sorry for being nosey, but can you clarify these installer issues? just downloaded some tux games and they ran fine yesterday
Ciris: I assume you're referring to GNU/Linux: about half a year ago we introduced a new way of "packing up" installers for bigger games (about 30 from our catalogue from what I know) that risked crossing the 2 GB limit if not dealt with somehow and that less tech-savvy users could try unpacking manually, not using the installer, and end up with a "broken" game. This involved changing the format of certain files from not possible to unpack files to possible to unpack, but password protected files. A number of users were uncomfortable with this change and voiced their concerns, we're working on getting back to them and working out a solution that suits everybody :)
Thanks for the clarification, everyone!

ps: I'm quite happy with the installers :P
Never had a single issue!
Post edited January 07, 2015 by vicklemos
Okay I give, what is Jesus doing there?
Attachments:
jc.jpg (311 Kb)
Seems as if we have the script for a new movie "The game that went away".
With:
Ashton Kutcher as "The programmer"
Hayden Pannetiere as "The girl who didn`t know"
Liam Neeson as "The evil game thief"
Will Smith as "The father"
Jaden Smith as "The kid who couldn`t play a game"
And, as special guest star, Jar Jar Binks as "The comedian"
tinyE: Okay I give, what is Jesus doing there?
Bringing in the Sword of the Lord :D

/me plays "I Am the Sword" in the background ....
Post edited January 07, 2015 by JudasIscariot
ok, I am confused.

Is this a remake of the Avernum Saga? Is it a prequel, sequel? Is it an episode that fits between the previous ones?
trusteft: ok, I am confused.

Is this a remake of the Avernum Saga? Is it a prequel, sequel? Is it an episode that fits between the previous ones?
It is a remake of the first Avernum, which itself is a remake of the first Exile game. In other words, a remake of a remake.
Post edited January 07, 2015 by Grargar
trusteft: ok, I am confused.

It's an updated version of Avernum 1 so all the story bits and such should be the same as the original :)
Ah, Avernum is back in the house again!
I've almost bought it out of reflex ....RPG, turnbased, small filesize.
Thanks to the buggy site i had time to check....and found it in my Humble Library.
Thanks GOG ;-)
So, in theory, if I have the Avernum Saga from GOG, at least the main story from from the first part of that, will be the same as with the story in Escape from the pit? Will the game world be the same size etc too?

Basically, I have the Saga but I haven't played it yet. if I get this new release it will be just like playing through the first episode from the Saga, only with updated graphics, gui, etc?