It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bad company, till the day I die.

<span class="bold">Battle Brothers</span>, a turn-based tactical RPG with tabletop sensibilities is now available, DRM-Free on GOG.com with a 25% launch discount.

Contracts no one else would go after. Men no one else would travel with. This has your name written all over it. Hire the right people, equip them as your purse allows, and pick your next mission from a map full of perilous opportunities. When the battle finally starts, make sure Lady Luck stands by your side and your moves are as calculated as an ambush on a narrow passage.

<span class="bold">Upgrade to the Supporter Edition</span> for the soundtrack, a digital supplement with art, lore, and behind-the-scenes info, plus the legendary item Fangshire.

The 25% discount will last until July 27, 1PM UTC.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited July 20, 2017 by maladr0Id
Weee. I was expecting it here. Nice one
loki1985: Nice and all, but.. that is not exactly a classic game tho. And today is thursday. I am conditioned to expect classics on thursday :)
Same here, i just logged in cause i hoped for a good old game to be released again... it's thursday today.

I am "familiar" with that game, saw it on steam when it was in early access,( quite a while ago) the listprice at 27.99 is much to high, 14.99 would fit better.

I bought many AAA games in the past this game is no AAA imho , I dont mind if animations arent fluid, i own all classic HOMM games ( i draw the line at 3d remakes and FPP remakes of classic like fallout, commando's....)
Anyway this game is overpriced...., i paid 25 euros for Lords of Xulima i got it at steam first cause i had to have the game so i got it, lateron i also got the Gog version, Xulima was worth every cent.... many new games released this year are not imho.
The last old games released have few colors and thats where i draw the line , old games are great but the first sierras with a few color, usally pink, purple and lots of yellow and blue, plus those games are usally unplayable.

Games that were worth paying 69 - 139 guilders ( the good old days) are:

fallout 1+2 and fallout tactics, ALL the jagged alliance classic games, classic baldurs 1+2 (please no remakes or 3d/fpp), gorky 17, reda lert 1+2 firestorm, yurisrevenge, comand and conquer (classics)
and many more original games....

Today everything is so expensive and 75% of the games cant compete with the old games i played years ago.
Thats why i started to buy casual games, 8 years ago, they are very cheap and 10000s of them so there's plenty choice,.

So i will check back next thursday to see if more good old games are released ( there are still dozens of them)
like chronicles of zerzura.
Post edited July 20, 2017 by gamesfreak64
loki1985: Nice and all, but.. that is not exactly a classic game tho. And today is thursday. I am conditioned to expect classics on thursday :)
Maybe on Steam .
Not my cup of tea, but I am sure others will find it to their liking.
Thank you, GOG/Overhype.
high rated
karnak1: Shame that the developers stopped updating the game. This game could go on forever if the devs kept working on it (DLC's with new creatures, new quests, new locations, etc etc). This would really have become a money-making machine.
Vythonaut: Shame? DLCs? Money-making machine? Well, how about no? If the game doesn't have any bugs, it doesn't need to be updated forever. Better use their creative juices to offer something else instead of milking the customers.
You make no sense. You're probably confusing DLCs with cosmetic crap like "horse armor" or whatever.

If the game is good why can't it be improved? Wouldn't you pay more for a good game to be even better and support its devs if you could have more levels, more campaigns and more units?

Will [url=https://www.gog.com/game/underrail ]UnderRail [/url]to be considered a cash-grab because it will have a new aexpansion with more levels and vehicules?
Besides, the original idea behind Battlebrothers was to keep expanding the game universe. Somehow, and a bit unexpectedly, the devs decided they were tired with the game and decided to move forward. Which was a bit of shock because many people was expecting they would allow for modding capacity in order to let users customise the game (like what happens with Mount&Blade).
A wishlisted game is a welcome sight. Battle Brothers seemed like one of those games that should've been on GOG from the beginning.
karnak1: A really, really great game. Everyone who's fond of tactical turn-based combat should buy this (even though I think the price is a bit steep).

Shame that the developers stopped updating the game. This game could go on forever if the devs kept working on it (DLC's with new creatures, new quests, new locations, etc etc). This would really have become a money-making machine.
Let's hope that BB2 (if it ever gets made) reaches the potential this game could have achieved.
a bit steep ? its very steep, 14.99 would fit better.
I am fond of turnbased strategy games , also willing to spend 30 euros ( in the old days 49 to 139 guilders) for a good....
HOMM are among my favorites , HOMM 3 and 4 (no 3d please) are my all time favorites, this game is NOT HOMM, this is table top graphic like the game pawns (like chess) that move on the board.
Anyway, i had it listed for a while on steam when it was still in EA, but lateron i removed it after i watched some videos on youtube and the game is way to expensive at 27.99.

Anyway it seems that it is extremely difficult for developers /publishers to develop and release real good new games
so far i have been able to get a few of the new games, but old games still work best for me.

Many new games cant match classic like age of empires 1+2 , commandos call of duty and behind enemy line, comm. 2 was already less cause the engine changed, the latest games are even worse , seem there is a 3d version/fpp aswell ....

my favo installed games :

Jagged Alliance 2 / Jagged Alliance 2 - Unfinished Business / Gorky17 / KQ6 / Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade / Indiana Jones and The Fate Of Atlantis / EOTB 2+3 / Fallout / Fallout 2 / Avernum games / Rocket Ranger / Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

newer games: punchclub / the wadjet eye games / Lords of Xulima / Anna's Quest / Braveland (3 games) / Defenders Quest / GuildofDungeoneering / Skyshines BEDLAM / Full Throtle
high rated
I understand this is supposed to have great gameplay and all, but am I the only one put off by the fact that you're controlling a bunch of limbless mercenary busts, fighting limbless busts of orcs, and equally limbless undead and bandits?

I figure this is mostly a matter of production budget, and they couldn't put in the money and time to create fully animated characters, but how about non-animated full body miniatures? You know, kinda tabletop RPG style?
karnak1: Shame that the developers stopped updating the game. This game could go on forever if the devs kept working on it (DLC's with new creatures, new quests, new locations, etc etc). This would really have become a money-making machine.
Vythonaut: Shame? DLCs? Money-making machine? Well, how about no? If the game doesn't have any bugs, it doesn't need to be updated forever. Better use their creative juices to offer something else instead of milking the customers.
All a matter of value. If additional content adds many more hours of extra entertainment to an already great game, and it's reasonably priced, then I don't see that as "milking the customers".
gamesfreak64: a bit steep ? its very steep, 14.99 would fit better.
I am fond of turnbased strategy games , also willing to spend 30 euros ( in the old days 49 to 139 guilders) for a good....
HOMM are among my favorites , HOMM 3 and 4 (no 3d please) are my all time favorites, this game is NOT HOMM, this is table top graphic like the game pawns (like chess) that move on the board.
Anyway, i had it listed for a while on steam when it was still in EA, but lateron i removed it after i watched some videos on youtube and the game is way to expensive at 27.99.

Anyway it seems that it is extremely difficult for developers /publishers to develop and release real good new games
so far i have been able to get a few of the new games, but old games still work best for me.

Have you tried Regalia? It uses polygon-based characters, but the backgrounds and gameplay are completely 2D. I think it doesn't even have scrolling, just static 2D scenes. It's very good, maybe you'd enjoy it. ( And it's available here on GOG. )
Post edited July 20, 2017 by CharlesGrey
CharlesGrey: I understand this is supposed to have great gameplay and all, but am I the only one put off by the fact that you're controlling a bunch of limbless mercenary busts, fighting limbless busts of orcs, and equally limbless undead and bandits?

I figure this is mostly a matter of production budget, and they couldn't put in the money and time to create fully animated characters, but how about non-animated full body miniatures? You know, kinda tabletop RPG style?
It's an unusual choice. They look like they are all up to their necks in quicksand. But it's not a matter of budget. It would have taken a similar amount of work to draw smaller, less-detailed full figures.

It looks to me like they chose to focus on faces to give the characters more personality and to make the presentation cleaner. You can see the type of unit, weapons, mounts, and possibly the condition without having stare closely. The characters don't cover each other up, and units of different sizes can be shown with the same dimensions without hurting realism. It gives the game a unique look instead of looking like a generic HOMM clone.
Purchased it long ago from the devs website... as a steam only version, sadly, though...

Very glad to see this great game coming on GOG... Though the price is quite higher here, even if taking the launch discount into account. (got it for 15€ iirc, devs use the humblestore/amazon payment widget on their website.)

Anyway the game offers countless hours of tactical greatness and self-storytelling for the players who are into that too. I strongly recommend it !
Sometimes games do take too long to appear on GOG. Would've bought this here, but oh well - to everyone on the fence, this is a really, really good game. I spent quite a few hours with it and everything about it is brilliant, from the way your company changes over time to the unique maps of every campaign. It's one of those games that leaves you wishing for a lot more of it.
wvpr: It's an unusual choice. They look like they are all up to their necks in quicksand. But it's not a matter of budget. It would have taken a similar amount of work to draw smaller, less-detailed full figures.

It looks to me like they chose to focus on faces to give the characters more personality and to make the presentation cleaner. You can see the type of unit, weapons, mounts, and possibly the condition without having stare closely. The characters don't cover each other up, and units of different sizes can be shown with the same dimensions without hurting realism. It gives the game a unique look instead of looking like a generic HOMM clone.
It may be a unique design choice, but I figure sometimes there's a reason why something hasn't been done before. It just looks kinda awkward and comical to me.

Personally I would have preferred fully body models, ( partially ) animated or not, and if they wanted to add portrait close-ups to the characters, they could display those at the bottom of the screen, or as a pop-up when you hover over a character. For this kind of game, the overall stature and equipment of a character ( or monster ) is arguably more important than their facial details.

And whether the result looks like a HOMM clone isn't really relevant -- In the end, what matters is whether it plays like one, and whether the player considers that a good or bad thing.

Anyhow, it seems to be a good game regardless, but I think I'll stick with the various alternatives, which for better or worse use more conventional visual styles/ design choices.
wvpr: It's an unusual choice. They look like they are all up to their necks in quicksand. But it's not a matter of budget. It would have taken a similar amount of work to draw smaller, less-detailed full figures.

It's unusual but I kinda like it. It reminds me of chess figures or miniature statues that only show the torso.
Sadly I already bought this at "another place" but I highly recommend it if you don't shy away from challenging gameplay.

As for the visuals it was basically a choice between a more standard look & animations and level of detail. The unanimated chess piece look allowed the devs to make brothers very detailed meaning they look different, their injuries show up on the characters (if a person looses a nose it will actually show on their face), every individual piece of equipment shows on the character and has its own look. Damage like battered shields and shredded armor can also be seen. If you try to 2D animate with that kind of detail you need to make animation frames for every possible combination of character appearance and equipment which quickly grows to insane levels. It would force more generic and shared appearance for both people and weapons/armor.

Having full bodies on static characters that are stiff and hop around like board game pieces would look worse imo and smaller character size also allows for that sideways look (avoids overlap) that's also pretty close up and shows all the detail. If you can get used to the board game style it's a great looking game imo and super immersive if you let your imagination fly a little bit. It also manages to be quite visceral with its decapitations, blood spray and sounds.
Post edited July 20, 2017 by Picard85
Overhype Studios, thanks for the long waited release here.

What about macOS version? You promised back in 2015 to add it after BB is out from Early Access.