It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What a miracle. It's a bit hard to be enthusiastic about it considering that it took almost a year and a half, but better late than never I guess. Now I'm just wondering how long it will take for Doom 3 to be updated with the original versions.
Finally! :)
At least it was free for people who owned the original Quake like Doom Enchanted was.
fronzelneekburm: Will be a freebie on amazon prime in a short while.

I swear, if they give away the gimped gog version I'll be laughing my ass off.
Spectrum_Legacy: I laughed my ass off too when I realized that you are calling the original as gimped edition. You know, the legendary game powered by idTech2 engine with both official expansions and original ost by NiN available on the iso backup (something that was sorely lacking on steam release all those years until this enhanced edition). Just to put things into perspective here. I would go for quakespasm, vkquake or similar sourceport anyday over the fanfic enhanced edition that is powered by nightdive's kex engine of all things. Might as well play quake in unity3d or unreal engine instead then. Mods gated behind bathesda net. Gimped edition, my ass!
Yeah, and you still get all of that. Way to miss the point, genius.
Grargar: LOL, the addons require a Bethesda login. So much for technical issues delaying the update.
Good thing I backed them up from my Steam install and got Quakespasm to play them.

P.S. If add-ons are already installed from your steam version, they will show up in add-on menu in the GOG version.
Post edited December 15, 2022 by discountbuyer
Grargar: LOL, the addons require a Bethesda login. So much for technical issues delaying the update.
I don't think "requires" means what you think it means.
Strange that no news post about this finally arriving on GOG was made. Wondering if this wasn't supposed to be released today.
fronzelneekburm: WHERE?!?!? WHERE?!?!?!?!?

Guess my library entry hasn't updated yet.

Seriously, good news though! I suppose it'll have some sort of Epic Online Services implementation, but we'll see. As far as I'm concerned, that would be preferable to gutted multiplayer.
Enebias: It's not like CDP has any semblance of dignity left anyway, so I guess it's the best one can get.
Meh, I think this is arguably the best release we could have hoped for and certainly better than I would've anticipated. They removed a bethnet check on startup, so in that sense this is DRM-free-er (or rather: has less DRM) than the Steam or Epic version. Needing a bethnet account sucks, but at least that comes with the benefit of having working multiplayer and working crossplay, the latter being a huge boon, as gog-only multiplayer would likely be dead in the water.

Also, gog deserves some kudos for making original and enhanced seperate library entries (instead of relegating the original to the bonus section, as they did with Twitcher 3), meaning you can install either version, whereas Steam always installs both versions. On Epic, you don't even get the original.

bluethief: Strange that no news post about this finally arriving on GOG was made. Wondering if this wasn't supposed to be released today.
Probably because they're aware that the bethesda.net-integration won't go over too well with the community.

Or they don't want to draw attention to the fact that the update took quite some time to show up here (this has kept other major updates from being advertised the front page as well - one example being the Hotline Miami 2 level editor).
StingingVelvet: I don't think "requires" means what you think it means.
Yes it does, you still need a Bethesda login to download them. After downloading and activating them, sure, you can play them offline, but it's still unnecessary friction that could have been resolved for the 15-months delayed GOG version.
Post edited December 16, 2022 by Grargar
Alexim: It also seems to be without achievements, which makes this enhanced edition quite useless. Honestly these days I consider myself lucky that they didn't retroactively cancel the old Quake. XD
Grargar: There are achievements, but they seem to be in-game only.
Know how to turn them off, by the way?
Grargar: Yes it does, you still need a Bethesda login to download them. After downloading and activating them, sure, you can play them offline, but it's still unnecessary friction that could have been resolved for the 15-months delayed GOG version.
I actually misread your comment, my bad. I thought you were saying the requirement for the addons meant the game entirely required it. You didn't, sorry.

Can you backup the Quake 64 addon and such after downloading it though? If so then I'd still say it isn't DRM. A nuisance though, sure. If you need to login to Bethesda for a future install though it's absolutely DRM and GOG need to address it.
Swedrami: Know how to turn them off, by the way?
I looked around the various options, but I didn't find any way to turn off the achievement notifications.
Swedrami: Know how to turn them off, by the way?
Grargar: I looked around the various options, but I didn't find any way to turn off the achievement notifications.
No console command to disable at least the notifications popping up either, at least from what I could gather.
Shame.

Entering cheat codes usually disables them altogether, doesn't it? Might give that a try later.
Post edited December 16, 2022 by Swedrami
StingingVelvet: I actually misread your comment, my bad. I thought you were saying the requirement for the addons meant the game entirely required it. You didn't, sorry.

Can you backup the Quake 64 addon and such after downloading it though? If so then I'd still say it isn't DRM. A nuisance though, sure. If you need to login to Bethesda for a future install though it's absolutely DRM and GOG need to address it.
Once you create a Bethesda account, login, download the addons and activate them at least once, yes, you can back them up and play them offline to your heart's content. I am just annoyed that it is me who has to jump through the hoops instead of GOG, especially since it took 15 months to bring the update here.

On an unrelated note, if you download all the (currently 7) addons, you can forget about cloud saving. Since the addons are located in the game's save folder, Galaxy tries to upload them to the cloud, as well. Problem is, the folder's size is 500 MBs, while Galaxy's limit is 200 MBs and Galaxy will pester you to no end if you to try to launch and/or exit the game, if cloud saving is activated.
Grargar: On an unrelated note, if you download all the (currently 7) addons, you can forget about cloud saving. Since the addons are located in the game's save folder, Galaxy tries to upload them to the cloud, as well. Problem is, the folder's size is 500 MBs, while Galaxy's limit is 200 MBs and Galaxy will pester you to no end if you to try to launch and/or exit the game, if cloud saving is activated.
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Writing large files like that to a save folder. What idiocy.