It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
This thread is very useful! Is there any companion thread for something like "immersive games that consume your life for weeks or months"?

Anyway, one game that could be added to this list is Pixeljunk Shooter.
The Swapper
Pataphysician: This thread is very useful! Is there any companion thread for something like "immersive games that consume your life for weeks or months"?
Not that I know of, but it could be a good one to start. I'm sure just as many folks are interested in a game that will last them a long, long time.

Pataphysician: Anyway, one game that could be added to this list is Pixeljunk Shooter.
Thanks, but I'm not putting shmups on the list because just about all of them already fall into this category by their very nature. :)

Tooms: The Swapper
Cool, I'll add it to the list. I should get around to trying it myself at some point. Maybe I'll install it and give it a run when I finish Finding Teddy.
It would be helpful to have the list categorized by average gameplay hours because for some a 3-5 hour game wouldn't exactly be a "one day game".

A site like howlongtobeat (iirc) would be useful here.
I just finished Kaptain Brawe. It took me ~5hrs according to Steam (on casual difficulty), it could certainly be done faster as I'm not the best at adventure games :).

Overall I'd rate it as "OK". It's got nothing great to recommend it: some funny bits, nothing that memorable, but it's playable. Although I found it a bit frustrating that things have to be done in a very particular order. For example, if you find item "A" and later find item "B", you cannot combine them until after you've talked to person "X".
Loot Hero
If you just want to beat the dragon, the game can be completed in about 15 minutes. If you want to get all the achievements, it will probably take you 2-3 hours.
Just finished The Moon Sliver. It's really only an hour long, if even that, so almost too short to be counted. But it is designed to be finished in one sitting. It's a Dear Esther styled horror-wanderer where you piece together the story. The story itself is okay, though the in-game text could be polished. The atmosphere is good, and the sound well done. It doesn't have the interactivity of similar games such as One Late Night, but worth the time it takes if you like such games.
Post edited August 31, 2014 by IAmSinistar
Teslagrad definitely belongs on the list. A speedrun on youtube takes less than an hour, but it's actually nothing more than a competent playthrough. An actual first playthrough should take 4-8 hours depending on how good you are and how many extras you aim to collect.
Zombie Shooter is a pretty short game; in less than a day I have completed almost all of its stages.
IAmSinistar: The Moon Sliver.
Made by the forum's own Jefesquo no less!
Added both, thanks for the suggestions!
Downfall and The Cat Lady can each be finished in a day. Downfall is around three to four hours long and The Cat Lady falls into the five to seven hour window.

Hydrophobia: Prophecy lasts around four to six hours.

Zeno Clash is around four to six hours long as well depending how good you are at the game. I actually finished Zeno Clash in one sitting, it took me about four and a half hours I suppose.

Contrast can be finished in one day as it's about three to five hours long (it took me a bit longer though).

Spate has about four hours worth of gameplay.
Another Perspective - 45 minutes-ish.
Bermuda - 1-2 hours.
Shan Gui - 1 hour.
My Name Is Addiction - 1 hour.
Valkyrie Svia (NSFW) - 3 hours-ish.
Armored Warrior Iris (NSFW) - 3 hours-ish.
Vlad the Impaler - 45 minutes-ish.
Lost Marbles - 2 hours-ish.
Spoiler Alert - 30 minutes-ish.
The Maker's Eden: Act 1 - 1 hour and a half-ish.
Dominique Pamplemousse - 1 hour-ish.
Escape Goat 2 - 2 hours-ish.
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior and Santa's Rampage - Each 45 minutes-ish.
Octodad: Dadliest Catch - 2 hours-ish.
Jazzpunk - 1 hour-ish.

EDIT: Sorry about the massive list, Sinistar. >.>
Post edited August 31, 2014 by johnki
Just finished MIND: Path to Thalamus, came in right around the 5-hour mark, so onto the list it goes. Pretty good game, too. I'll see if I can write a review that is useful while also fits the character limit.

Thanks for the recent suggestions, I'll try to get through those and update the list as well!
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

Funny, easy, three hours long.