It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
BKGaming: but whatever... down vote away.
You know, for a guy that doesn't care about being down voted, you sure keep mentioning it a lot. I've counted four times in the past two or three pages I think.
low rated
sunshinecorp: You know, for a guy that doesn't care about being down voted, you sure keep mentioning it a lot. I've counted four times in the past two or three pages I think.
It triggers the trolls? I kind of enjoy it really... you keeping a count on me? You say what they want you to say and they will up vote all day long like they were doing for me about 10 - 15 post back, stray outside the lines and they down vote every single post. Just the broken rep system that needs to be removed, and just something else GOG fails at.

It's not the first time I've pissed them all off, it won't be the last.

I was seriously not trying to be an ass about importance though of keeping software updated, especially software that goes online and interacts with other users. User is seriously misguided there and they aren't helping. You can dislike Galaxy all you want, but what I said wasn't wrong.

---

Anyway I'm grabbing the popcorn, it's Friday and I guess we will know what GOG decides in a few hours from now... should be interesting.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by BKGaming
I was annoyed at the bundling of DirectX and such too but I guess I should buy a new, bigger hard disk anyway. It is not that much space nor that much money.
After a quick check in the hardware shop's website: Ouch, did not know they cost so much. Also, too many models, must be careful to pick a suitable one.
That need to remove a tick though.... ...... ...... ticks me off..... It must be easy to cancel the installation of Galaxy if I forget, pretty please. (Foul words will probably just make GOG people more determined to get back at us obstinate, old naggers.)
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Themken
high rated
sunshinecorp: You know, for a guy that doesn't care about being down voted, you sure keep mentioning it a lot. I've counted four times in the past two or three pages I think.
BKGaming: It triggers the trolls? I kind of enjoy it really... you keeping a count on me?
Just found it interesting. People that really don't care about something usually don't mention it that often, is all. :p
high rated
Are you sure that you are not absolutely certain that by choosing to skip the opportunity at this moment you may or may not at some other time try to get your personal experience by not declining the offer, which will remain optional but recommended, to willfully install the software that you might have rejected previously but at that future point it will most probably (close to certainty) be enhanced and thus not allowing yourself to experience it would be stripping you from the greater joy and thus choosing not to follow the current trend of rejection, in other words not to install GOG Galaxy? Yes? No?
Ghorpm: Are you sure that you are not absolutely certain that by choosing to skip the opportunity at this moment you may or may not at some other time try to get your personal experience by not declining the offer, which will remain optional but recommended, to willfully install the software that you might have rejected previously but at that future point it will most probably (close to certainty) be enhanced and thus not allowing yourself to experience it would be stripping you from the greater joy and thus choosing not to follow the current trend of rejection, in other words not to install GOG Galaxy? Yes? No?
hhahahah good one :-P
high rated
fables22: Just so we don't have a misunderstanding here - the setting won't be saved to start with. The questions was whether there's a plan for it, I figured that meant "is there a plan that in the future the setting will be saved" which, to my knowledge, there is. But I will clarify and confirm/update.
so this "clarification"of yours
that gonna happen any time soon or wil it be the usual bullshit PR company line

not as if we all dont know whats it going to be eh ?
high rated
Narakir: It's only bundled with games that are using galaxy's features... geez cool down.
And just look at all the benefits users will reap from that!

Like, take Aragami for instance:

- now comes with gog Galaxy bloatware
- still doesn't come with the muthafuckin' level editor that's been out on Steam for months

Muh convenient user experience!

I guess if you're operating on a level where you think your user base is too fucking dumb to download and install a client of their own volition, they sure as hell will be too stupid to handle a level editor. So if you're looking at it from that perspective, it all makes sense. If you don't, however, you might start to wonder whether gog have their priorities straight.
high rated
fables22: Just so we don't have a misunderstanding here - the setting won't be saved to start with. The questions was whether there's a plan for it, I figured that meant "is there a plan that in the future the setting will be saved" which, to my knowledge, there is. But I will clarify and confirm/update.
Sorry, the misunderstanding was there from the word, "Hey", between the staff and your users. I don't mean that sarcastically, I mean, "Fire your PR guy, they're awful at their job".

Maybe instead to pad the numbers of Galaxy, they (mysterious powers that are) could have, oh, I don't know, announced the intent to add a workshop to GOG Galaxy as to encourage positive thought and hype?

fronzelneekburm: And just look at all the benefits users will reap from that!

Like, take Aragami for instance:

- now comes with gog Galaxy bloatware
- still doesn't come with the muthafuckin' level editor that's been out on Steam for months

Muh convenient user experience!

I guess if you're operating on a level where you think your user base is too fucking dumb to download and install a client of their own volition, they sure as hell will be too stupid to handle a level editor. So if you're looking at it from that perspective, it all makes sense. If you don't, however, you might start to wonder whether gog have their priorities straight.
This leads to their reply, "How will they share levels without some sort of central client", to which I would respond, "The same way ZZT users did back in the day, "By Hand".
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Darvond
BKGaming: Whatever makes that possible, but also streamlines the process and resources for GOG then I'm all for it. I'm not going to hang on to the standalone installers just for sake of hanging onto them.
I am not necessarily against that, as long as archiving my games (ie. downloading the installers or zip files or whatever) isn't made too cumbersome in the process.

I would even prefer if all my GOG games were in zip files which I just need to uncompress and play (by clicking an exe file), as then I could easily check all of them in one swoop whether they are all ok, by checking all their zip file integrity with e.g. 7zip.

I presume that doesn't work for all games as some games still want to add something to the registery, or install some old version of Quicktime or other dependencies etc., so some sort of install script would be needed anyway. At that point we'd need also some uninstall script so that those registery entries etc. were removed when I don't want to play the game... and at that point I am unsure what is the benefit over an actual installer?

If I recall right, Steam offers the option of creating some sort of backup of a game you've installed. To me that approach is too cumbersome, as you are actually supposed to install each game first, and only after that create a separate backup for them, one by one. Especially as the way you download and install games on Steam in itself is rather cumbersome, you have to click through lots of EULA and TOS pages and whatnot before the download/installation even starts, and Steam is not too good at handling lots of simultaneous downloads (my system felt near collapsing when I tried to download and install more than five Steam games at the same time; that was a couple of years ago though, I haven't tested it recently).

I'd have to do all that 1356 times...
Post edited May 12, 2017 by timppu
sunshinecorp:
BKGaming: It's not the first time I've pissed them all off, it won't be the last.

---
(all?) not me,yet.
high rated
The thread is moving fast I can’t follow all the post but for those that are telling that “you only need one click to not install it”

For me this is like the phone companies (for example), when they send you a letter or something that tells you “Hey, we are going to change your contract, you are going to have something new that you maybe don’t need/want it and it’s going to cost a bit more (I know galaxy is free but follow me with this). If you don’t want it you have to send us a letter… you have 30 days to do it and if not we assume that you are okay with the changes”

Most of the time people don’t look at this kind of things and ends with something that they didn’t want.

You can say “it’s their problem because they don’t read”. Yes, it’s true lots of people don’t read but when you “assume” things by default is not right. A lot companies take advantage of this.

Do you think that is okay? Because I don’t.
You don’t “assume”, ask first, inform the customer and let him/her say “Yes I want it”.

This change is, in theory, to help people that is not “tech savvy” to have a better experience.
How do you think that kind of people are going to install their game? “next, next, and installation complete”
Do you think that is someone has problems to download and install galaxy is going to understand the concept of cloud saves?
Are they going to visit the forums to know what is happening?

I don’t think theywill check what Galaxy is and, Why they should check anything in the first place? The option wasn’t there in any previous installation, they didn’t have to worry at all.

GOG, Do you want to promote Galaxy between your “offline users”?
Why don’t use one of the slides that the installer has? You already use it to show some games, you could use one to show a Galaxy slide with a “click here to know more”

And then create a good web with useful info for people that aren’t “tech savvy”.
Put some tutorials, explain the options in a way that anyone can understand (what is cloud saving, how it works with your connected PC...), GOG has a YouTube channel put some video tutorials in there.

I hope everything is well explained, my English is not the best and this is a long post.
Friday has arrived, has anything happened yet?
Did they row back due to most of their customers being dead against it?
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: Friday has arrived, has anything happened yet?
The day is not over yet.
Klumpen0815: Friday has arrived, has anything happened yet?
Unlikely but I hope so...

Enough user outrage and just stubbornness and refusal to be bullied into using G+ is what eventually killed the "optional but required to do anything really" G+ membership. Maybe GOG won't take as many years to put two and two together. Then again, we all know it probably will take double the years, because GOG.