It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
fables22: To explain our motivations behind this a little better one more time - not all our users are as tech-savvy as our forum user-base. Some people just come to GOG, grab a game, and that's that for them. They expect everything to work from the get-go, without having to manually tinker with configurations, backups, etc.
The problem is not a lack of IT competence but simply a lack of information for new users about the difference between using Galaxy vs. standalone installers. Trying to "solve" that information deficit by making the choice for them and installing Galaxy automatically is a bad idea, it basically just robs your users of their sense of agency. Which definitely will piss off some people once they come to the conclusion that their choice is not the same as the one GOG made.

Just make a better job on the Account/Download pages of stating what features you get when using Galaxy and what you will miss when using the offline Installer. ( A "Try Galaxy ...." banner is not enough here. )
Then let the users make their own choice.
People don't need to be tech-savvy to make that choice, they just need to know about it.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by immi101
PookaMustard: Fables, I have a couple of questions regarding your motivations, as this post hasn't cleared up anything. If you don't know how to answer one of my questions, please ask the relevant stuff and let us know.

By answering my questions below, you help clear up the underlying issue and mainly tell us of your intentions a bit more clearly?

1. Are there any plans to save the checkbox setting in a registry so that people who uncheck it once don't have to uncheck it again?
2. How will Galaxy be included in the installers? Is the full installer going to be included, or just a stub?
3. If it is the full installer, do you expect to be able to update the installers every single time it gets updated?
4. What about people who use Galaxy to download the installers? Will they get additional instances of Galaxy?
5. Is there any plan to instead of relying on an OPT-OUT checkbox, that you instead point the user to a link to Galaxy?

Honestly, if you can register on your site, buy, then go to the accounts page and download the game, then the user is experienced enough to OPT-IN to optional software. There can't be someone who is this dumb. It doesn't even require you to be as tech-savvy as you claim to be.

Please answer these questions and come back to us.
fables22: From what I can answer straight away:
1. Yes, afaik.
4. If you already have Galaxy installed, there shouldn't be any additional instances of Galaxy.
5. Not at this moment in time.
Straight answers are much, much better. Thanks.
low rated
fables22: 1. Yes, afaik.
zeogold: Oh, so you'll only have to uncheck it once?
That makes things better. Still not the best, but considerably better.
Tauto: Good luck,getting straight answers without ban threats.
zeogold: As you can see, you tend to get one when you refrain from insulting and passive-aggressive commentary towards other users. I would suggest trying it. It works.
Why? It never works for you.
high rated
PookaMustard: Fables, I have a couple of questions regarding your motivations, as this post hasn't cleared up anything. If you don't know how to answer one of my questions, please ask the relevant stuff and let us know.

By answering my questions below, you help clear up the underlying issue and mainly tell us of your intentions a bit more clearly?

1. Are there any plans to save the checkbox setting in a registry so that people who uncheck it once don't have to uncheck it again?
2. How will Galaxy be included in the installers? Is the full installer going to be included, or just a stub?
3. If it is the full installer, do you expect to be able to update the installers every single time it gets updated?
4. What about people who use Galaxy to download the installers? Will they get additional instances of Galaxy?
5. Is there any plan to instead of relying on an OPT-OUT checkbox, that you instead point the user to a link to Galaxy?

Honestly, if you can register on your site, buy, then go to the accounts page and download the game, then the user is experienced enough to OPT-IN to optional software. There can't be someone who is this dumb. It doesn't even require you to be as tech-savvy as you claim to be.

Please answer these questions and come back to us.
1. Yes, afaik.
4. If you already have Galaxy installed, there shouldn't be any additional instances of Galaxy.
Just a recommendation. Why don't you do it like Steam and all the other platforms do. You could just open a pop up window before game download with two options.
Option 1:
Install game through Galaxy Client (aka with the function that if galaxy is already installed it just installs the game throught galaxy or it downloads galaxy and installs the game if galaxy is not installed). Then you explain shortly why that is good. Aka needed for multiplayer, includes automatic updates by default, cloud saves, offline mode, in game overlay, etc.
Option 2:
Download an offline installer for backup. No Galaxy and its features included.

This would be 10x better then current option.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by Matruchus
zeogold: Oh, so you'll only have to uncheck it once?
That makes things better. Still not the best, but considerably better.

As you can see, you tend to get one when you refrain from insulting and passive-aggressive commentary towards other users. I would suggest trying it. It works.
Tauto: Why? It never works for you.
I got a straight answer without a ban threat, so...
Just a suggestion which may remove one of the sources of your complaints and thus enrich your forum experience.
zeogold: ...AgentBirdnest?
http://i.imgur.com/p0w1rg3.jpg
AgentBirdnest: *makes a krayt dragon sound to distract everyone, then runs away*
Get back here, darn you! GET IN THE POKEBALL!
Post edited May 10, 2017 by zeogold
low rated
Just so we don't have a misunderstanding here - the setting won't be saved to start with. The questions was whether there's a plan for it, I figured that meant "is there a plan that in the future the setting will be saved" which, to my knowledge, there is. But I will clarify and confirm/update.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by fables22
high rated
Matruchus: Just a recommendation. Why don't you do it like Steam and all the other platforms do. You could just open a pop up window before game download with two options.
Option 1:
Install game through Galaxy Client (aka with the function that if galaxy is already installed it just installs the game throught galaxy or it downloads galaxy and installs the game if galaxy is not installed). Then you explain shortly why that is good. Aka needed for multiplayer, includes automatic updates by default, cloud saves, offline mode, in game overlay, etc.
Option 2:

Not everyone working at GOG is as tech-savvy as you. Some just create a new "feature" and that's it. They expect everything to work from the get-go and everyone to be happy with it, without having to do anything hard like actually thinking about it or listening to feedback from users.
high rated
fables22: The question was whether there's a plan for the setting to be saved, which there is.
And we all know how reliable your plans are:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/my_account_big_changes_on_the_horizon/post775
&
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/we_are_listening_to_your_feedback/post354
Matruchus: Just a recommendation. Why don't you do it like Steam and all the other platforms do. You could just open a pop up window before game download with two options.
Option 1:
Option 2:

ZFR: Not everyone working at GOG is as tech-savvy as you. Some just create a new "feature" and that's it. They expect everything to work from the get-go and everyone to be happy with it, without having to do anything hard like actually thinking about it or listening to feedback from users.
Brilliant! lol
low rated
fables22: The question was whether there's a plan for the setting to be saved, which there is.
Lemon_Curry: And we all know how reliable your plans are:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/my_account_big_changes_on_the_horizon/post775
&
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/we_are_listening_to_your_feedback/post354
Well then why ask what the plans are right... :)
Thank you for the straight answers, Fables. I would like to see this level of communication from now on by telling us the concrete details of any controversial decision. Right now, there are two parties: those who are worried about the implications, and those who would wait THEN host their opinion. Why have two parties who are unsure of what the end outcome will be? We are criticizing this decision based on a lack of information now more than we are criticizing it for the concept itself.

The concept itself is not bad, the problem is that we fear the execution may be horrid. By telling us of your intentions like you did, both parties are absolutely sure of what they're criticizing or praising, and that should be it.

In the meantime, I would like you to press the staff for questions 2 and 3. For the record, they are:
3. If it is the full installer, do you expect to be able to update the installers every single time it gets updated
high rated
vulchor: Each and every change you've made over the last few years has been further and further down the "slippery slope" that so many of us have warned that you've been going down, GOG.
Meanwhile, at GOG headquarters:
'WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!'
high rated
PookaMustard: 2. How will Galaxy be included in the installers? Is the full installer going to be included, or just a stub?
1. Yes, afaik.
And that's pretty much the problem. GOG puts out an announcement about a major change that's all but implemented without telling (or possibly even having worked out) the make-it-or-break-it details.

No offense, Fables, but your immediate boss needs to be fired. To the moon. Wearing only a speedo.
high rated
fables22: Well then why ask what the plans are right... :)
And why bother answering, right? And why bother bringing the plans to fruition, right? ;)
Post edited May 10, 2017 by Lemon_Curry
high rated
Y'know what I love about this thread?
No matter what arguments people had in here with others in the same thread in the past, each of us has put it all aside and come together as one, bound together in our mutual hatred of the same thing. Every other post in here is "high rated", on a forum where it's usually the exact opposite for most threads.
Never have I seen so much positivity coming from negativity.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by zeogold