It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
hummer010: I never assumed anything. I download every game as I purchase it, and I download every update as I get notified about it. I've dedicated a lot of hard drive space to backing up installers for nearly 500 games. I'm not too keen on buying a new hard drive just to store a bunch of copies of the same program that I don't want.
Besides another point to mention about notations: GOG just broken that with their new UI. It would not be that much of an issue, but it's interesting how something should be optimized and break even more, so the usage of the navigation-bar is far from "good". So for now the only possibility is to look exactly in the library for updates while the older version had exactly that! :)
high rated
Djaron: because, yep, i'm doing the same as you here, and the brand new 3TB hdd is now already overloaded... and now gog would have me push over 80gb of redundant crunwanted app inside as well ?
Same here, bought a 3TB drive not that long ago solely for archival of stuff like game installers & it's already down it its last TB. Need to start looking at getting some more & larger drives soon
timppu: However, it actually downloads standalone .apk installers, which can be used independently later. So it appears when you tell the client to "download and install" a game, it downloads the apk and installs it for you, but leaves the apk in your device. So there are no extra steps required to create a backup (standalone installer) even though you used a client, you already have those installers on your device, as long as you know where to look for.
yep, noticed that, and it's nice for peeps who dont have computer but just android device, because they can backup heir apk install files on any micro sd card and/or onthego device... but then the client lack a feature to "clean" the "already installed" apk cache... and after a while you end up with both the installed games on the device and the apk installers

gladfully, the folder where source apk files are located is easy to spot

Djaron: because, yep, i'm doing the same as you here, and the brand new 3TB hdd is now already overloaded... and now gog would have me push over 80gb of redundant crunwanted app inside as well ?
adamhm: Same here, bought a 3TB drive not that long ago solely for archival of stuff like game installers & it's already down it its last TB. Need to start looking at getting some more & larger drives soon
just got a brand new synology nas because my oldest nas slowly show signs of age/wearyness... but that little new cuty has too many awesome features for me to just turn it into a giant boring harddrive for gog storage :(

again, a tool to unwrap/unbundle the galaxy stuff off a downloaded offline installer would be nice, wouldnt mind converting installers as they come by manually myself tbh, if i could at least get that
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Djaron
low rated
timppu: For me the reason is that I don't know what the other option would be. Let's say it is "Galaxy offers an option to create your own offline installer", as you suggested. So does it mean I first need to download and install each game, and then after that, one by one, somehow create an offline installer for it?

Let's remember at this point that I have 1356 games on GOG. What you suggest sounds like very very cumbersome and slow, just in order to download my GOG games into a local collection. I would apparently have to install all of the games, even though all I really wanted was to create backups of them for later use.
That was one potential alternative, I'm just saying we need not focus on standalone installers as if they in-replaceable, as if a possible better way of handling this couldn't replace them. Because god knows technology changes fast, but yea GOG should certainly clearing define that process if it ever came to that and gather feedback.

As I said for me, the method I don't really care about... I care about game preservation and think that is by doable with or without Galaxy and think that by doable with or without standalone installers.

Whatever makes that possible, but also streamlines the process and resources for GOG then I'm all for it. I'm not going to hang on to the standalone installers just for sake of hanging onto them.

Just give me a way to keep my games usable when GOG kicks the bucket, that is all I ask for.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by BKGaming
high rated
BKGaming: As I said for me, the method I don't really care about... I care about game preservation and think that is by doable with or without Galaxy and think that by doable with or without standalone installers.
well, good luck with preserving, reinstalling and running games from one computer to a different newer one later, when said games rely on VC+ libs, because the standalone installer is doing some clean/specific action about those libraries during install, and it would requires somme very good knowledge of that to "do it manually" yourself if your backup is anything else than a clean proper standalone offline installer...

if you are at such level of tech savy then, kudos, because i'm not at such level of skill atm (yet i did my savegames sync/backup/cloudsaves myself without galaxy)
high rated
Djaron: again, a tool to unwrap/unbundle the galaxy stuff off a downloaded offline installer would be nice, wouldnt mind converting installers as they come by manually myself tbh, if i could at least get that
That would help.

Unfortunately, I'm on a bandwidth capped Internet connection. I live in the middle of no where, and have a total of 1 ISP to choose from, so there are no other options. And while my bandwidth cap is much, much better than it used to be, I still run into it some monthes. I'd rather not waste the bandwidth re-downloading the same unwanted application over and over again.
I got 11 movies here. 11! hah!
low rated
Djaron: well, good luck with preserving, reinstalling and running games from one computer to a different newer one later, when said games rely on VC+ libs, because the standalone installer is doing some clean/specific action about those libraries during install, and it would requires somme very good knowledge of that to "do it manually" yourself if your backup is anything else than a clean proper standalone offline installer...

if you are at such level of tech savy then, kudos, because i'm not at such level of skill atm (yet i did my savegames sync/backup/cloudsaves myself without galaxy)
Who says I was doing that myself? Could I if need be, probably as that is really just searching online for a download but I said as long GOG provides a way i don't really care what that method is. Galaxy already handles that, there is no reason they couldn't add a backup feature that also handles that, but also allows said backup to be installed independently of Galaxy.

As I said basically creating your own standalone installer. Should be very doable... I'm just throwing out ideas, no need to get defensive about it.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by BKGaming
low rated
Djaron: if you keep dismissing a risk because the risk aint there yet, you sure will have no way to deal with it once it happens because of the constant denial and carelessnes
No, it's just that with Gog and DRM-free in general the risk meaningless and of little consequence as it will only impact the "future" and not the "past".

If tomorrow Steam disappear, well too bad for you, you have to hope that the release the rumored sunset patch, hope that the Denovo server will still be up to allows to reactivate your game or hope that the publishers will be nice enough to patch the DRM out or hope that piracy will still be around to allows you to find a crack for your games. Worse case scenario you lose most of your already purchased games, regardless if you have downloaded / backuped them or not, the risk is pretty high and there is very little thing you can do about it apart from downloading a cracked version of all you steam games.

With Gog, it tomorrow Gog disappear or starts adding Denuvo on all their games or implement crazy region restriction or anything else...

...well I would be disappointed, angry maybe, but in the grand scheme of things all the games I bought and backup-ed from them would still be here, they would still be DRM-free, I would still be able to install and play them on any computers I own regardless on what Gog does or become.

Worse case scenario I only lose the games I haven't backup-ed yet it doesn't have any impact on the game I already have downloaded. The risk is minor and the only person to blame would be me for not backuping all my games when I had the occasion.
meh
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Executer
high rated
BKGaming: They may be but that is an unrealistic expectation of GOG... that's like asking a company that has been in business for 50 years to make the same product they did in 1967. Technology changes, expectations change, your type of consumers change (and usually pretty often)... they may offer a comparable product still but it's unlikely to be the same product from 50 years ago.
It's also an unrealistic expectation that GOG won't add DRM to their games, since that is the modern standard right?
Post edited May 12, 2017 by djdarko
low rated
BKGaming: They may be but that is an unrealistic expectation of GOG... that's like asking a company that has been in business for 50 years to make the same product they did in 1967. Technology changes, expectations change, your type of consumers change (and usually pretty often)... they may offer a comparable product still but it's unlikely to be the same product from 50 years ago.
djdarko: It's also unrealistic to think that GOG won't add DRM to their games, since that is the modern standard right?
They may, if they do that what we say or do isn't going to matter I can assure you of that, if they are willing to go that far... but as I said cross that bridge when/if we come to it.
Djaron: well, good luck with preserving, reinstalling and running games from one computer to a different newer one later, when said games rely on VC+ libs, because the standalone installer is doing some clean/specific action about those libraries during install, and it would requires somme very good knowledge of that to "do it manually" yourself if your backup is anything else than a clean proper standalone offline installer...
Well the "very specific" thing is double clicking on the installer... which you can download from Microsoft for free or find bundled with a lot of games.

99% of Gog games and the few DRM-free games on Steam will work fine by simply copying the installation folder. (I do it very often as I have multiple "games" OS and move my games around, or I am simply too lazy to reinstall them once I reinstall Windows).
low rated
Gersen: Well the "very specific" thing is double clicking on the installer... which you can download from Microsoft for free or find bundled with a lot of games.
This is true... but yea I would rather they just be bundled into the process whatever that may be. I hate searching for stuff. xD

Gersen: 99% of Gog games and the few DRM-free games on Steam will work fine by simply copying the installation folder. (I do it very often as I have multiple "games" OS and move my games around, or I am simply too lazy to reinstall them once I reinstall Windows).
I know Steam game work independent of the registry, but don't a lot of GOG games use the registry?
BKGaming: I know Steam game work independent of the registry, but don't a lot of GOG games use the registry?
*some* steam games work independently of the registry. Many steam games make registry entries on first run.

Ditto on GOG games. Some do, some don't. Copying an installed folder is a pretty risky method of backing up.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by hummer010