It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

apanz3r: Well so far i have bought about 90 games here.
So i voted for no drm with my wallet.
Now i will vote for linux with my wallet on the places that promote linux games.
The Humble Store gives you a DRM free version and a Steam version with a single purchase if both are available. That way you can enjoy Linux gaming both without DRM or through Steam.
apanz3r: Well so far i have bought about 90 games here.
So i voted for no drm with my wallet.
Now i will vote for linux with my wallet on the places that promote linux games.
Future_Suture: The Humble Store gives you a DRM free version and a Steam version with a single purchase if both are available. That way you can enjoy Linux gaming both without DRM or through Steam.
...and IsThereAnyDeal.com can filter for Linux versions.

They don't seem to be able to filter for DRM-freeness (though, if you know a game is only available with DRM, they can filter for "DRM = Steamworks") but you can limit the effects of that by [url=http://isthereanydeal.com/#/filter:desura,gog,dotemu,shinyloot,humblestore,indiegamestand,gamesrocket,&price/0/5,&cut/50/100,&hidemac,&hideshops,&linux;/option:vouchers]filtering[/url] for the seven stores they track that, whether or not they actually have Linux content currently, are most likely to offer DRM-free versions.

(And the waitlist feature lets you set store filters on a per-game basis so you can exclude known DRM-riddled offerings from consideration.)

Now they just need to start tracking FireFlower Games, , and [url=http://www.indievania.com/games?platform=Linux]Indievania so I can bump the number of sites in my filter up to 10.

(Speaking of which, I remember hearing that Gameolith builds RPMs and DEBs for the developers and tests them (no clue how) on Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora. Since I already own all the games they offer that I want, I'm not sure if it came to fruition, but they also wanted to offer updates via a PPA-like service back when it was just an idea.)
gooberking: And your right me being skewed. Skewed in the sense that I don't think it is inherently healthy for Linux to be wholly reliant on another platforms software.
My point here is: if Wine become successful enough, DX is not a only MS controlled platform anymore... If noticed by the market as viable variant and directly supported, even a fork (DX9.2 etc) or take-over of the DX platform by WINE could be possible, making it completely native.

Supported by the fact that MS currently not really tries to develop the PC gaming platform in a healthy direction, or a direction at all, so I see good chances that the developers would follow a extended and cross-platform DX9 API fork.

Similar technological take-overs happened before--- for instance the AMD's "takeover" of the x86 transition to x64 ... Intel was royally pissed. Or when the IBM PC definition was taken out of the hand of IBM, to the market and collaboration of companies...
Post edited February 22, 2014 by shaddim
gooberking: And your right me being skewed. Skewed in the sense that I don't think it is inherently healthy for Linux to be wholly reliant on another platforms software.
shaddim: My point here is: if Wine become successful enough, DX is not a only MS controlled platform anymore... If noticed by the market as viable variant and directly supported, even a fork (DX9.2 etc) or take-over of the DX platform by WINE could be possible, making it completely native.

Supported by the fact that MS currently not really tries to develop the PC gaming platform in a healthy direction, or a direction at all, so I see good chances that the developers would follow a extended and cross-platform DX9 API fork.
DX will always be controlled by MS
simon_vd: DX will always be controlled by MS
Not necessarily successfully controlled (e.g. fork). It's not nature's law... (see in the technology history of other platforms and standards...sometimes they slip away, out of the hand of the original creator)

Also, it's really possible that DX will be dropped by MS in the future, what then? Then it would be pretty obvious that someone else could (and maybe should) pick it up.

ssokolow: There is a patchset you can try... they just haven't finished squashing regressions in it and cleaning up the code for merging into mainline. Current tests show that, if you've got more cores than the game would use under Windows, some games now even run faster with Wine than Windows with the patchset applied.
That could be a killer feature understandable for developers and users. Such a significant advantage (while being downward compatible) could be used as start point of a successful "Wine DX" platform promotion (or even fork, away from MS DX),

Another feature could be also better compatibility--- here in the gog forum several WINE builds for Windows are floating around, used because of better compatibility (e.g. DKII).
simon_vd: DX will always be controlled by MS
shaddim: Not necessarily successfully controlled (e.g. fork). It's not nature's law... (see in the technology history of other platforms and standards...sometimes they slip away, out of the hand of the original creator)

Also, it's really possible that DX will be dropped by MS in the future, what then? Then it would be pretty obvious that someone else could (and maybe should) pick it up.

ssokolow: There is a patchset you can try... they just haven't finished squashing regressions in it and cleaning up the code for merging into mainline. Current tests show that, if you've got more cores than the game would use under Windows, some games now even run faster with Wine than Windows with the patchset applied.
shaddim: That could be a killer feature understandable for developers and users. Such a significant advantage (while being downward compatible) could be used as start point of a successful "Wine DX" platform promotion (or even fork, away from MS DX),

Another feature could be also better compatibility--- here in the gog forum several WINE builds for Windows are floating around, used because of better compatibility (e.g. DKII).
To fork something you first need access to the source code.
Last time I checked DX ain't open-source
simon_vd: To fork something you first need access to the source code.
The Wine project "made" DX effectively open-source (via reverse engineering & re-implementation). With Wine the DX platform can be forked, e.g. for adding multi-core, cross-platform support or adding new features.
shaddim: That could be a killer feature understandable for developers and users. Such a significant advantage (while being downward compatible) could be used as start point of a successful "Wine DX" platform promotion (or even fork, away from MS DX),

The page for it is gone but, in the last benchmark I saw, Wine matched or beat Windows XP in every category except Direct3D performance.

The most notable case of Linux+Wine outperforming Windows was filesystem access.

Also, there have actually been attempts to bring native Direct3D 9 and 10/11 support to Gallium3D (the framework on which some of the open-source Linux drivers rely) to avoid the D3D->OGL translation overhead altogether.

However, the Direct3D 10/11 attempt was rejected by the Wine developers for being too specialized (only works on Linux, doesn't work with the proprietary drivers, and requires specific hardware since Intel's open-source drivers don't use Gallium3D) and it's likely the same will happen to the Direct3D 9 one.

Still, open-source does have a history of winning in tortoise-and-hare races so, if Wine can get close enough to parity without that, maybe Gallium3D-based open-source drivers will have come to dominate by then and they could revisit it as a way to soundly trounce Windows.
simon_vd: To fork something you first need access to the source code.
shaddim: The Wine project "made" DX effectively open-source (via reverse engineering & re-implementation). With Wine the DX platform can be forked, e.g. for adding multi-core, cross-platform support or adding new features.
Funny I always thought that wine converts DX calls to OpenGL
shaddim: The Wine project "made" DX effectively open-source (via reverse engineering & re-implementation). With Wine the DX platform can be forked, e.g. for adding multi-core, cross-platform support or adding new features.
simon_vd: Funny I always thought that wine converts DX calls to OpenGL
Thats the back-end only, Wine exposes and provides the DX API to programs.
"Add Linux versions of games" is now #4 in the Requested Site Features category, having recently surpassed the "Increasing number of games compatible with Win7" request. There are plenty of other Linux related requests as well.

Instead of infuriating the community by introducing regional pricing, why not actually give the community what it wants; what it has voted for? Surely a smart business pleases its customers, no? As has been said, if GOG is willing to drop one of its founding principles, then all Linux related excuses are void. They were poor to begin with anyway.
Would be nice but first the community need to drop the luddite mentality.
wormholewizards: Would be nice but first the community need to drop the luddite mentality.
Your nick doesn't look familiar, so I'll assume I haven't discussed things with you before. Are there any specific things you take issue with or are you just trying to stir up trouble with an ad hominem attack?
Post edited February 23, 2014 by ssokolow
@shaddim: No. DX is fully MS controlled. They patented it to the brink. The fact that they don't attack Wine doesn't mean anything. As soon as their mood swings to the other side it will become a nightmare. It's great that projects like Wine exist, but they are a clutch at best for cases which don't allow other options. Native development and OpenGL is the only normal way for a new project. Carmack was completely off and I don't think he considered all the implications.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by shmerl
Future_Suture: "Add Linux versions of games" is now #4 in the Requested Site Features category, having recently surpassed the "Increasing number of games compatible with Win7" request. There are plenty of other Linux related requests as well.

Instead of infuriating the community by introducing regional pricing, why not actually give the community what it wants; what it has voted for? Surely a smart business pleases its customers, no? As has been said, if GOG is willing to drop one of its founding principles, then all Linux related excuses are void. They were poor to begin with anyway.
Next goal: Eliminate the 1,137 vote gap between it and number 3 (uncensored versions). Let's try to evangelize that wishlist entry among our GOG-using friends.