It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It was already proposed for GOG to use Docker for offering long term support. GOG didn't comment whether they tested it or not.

My current assumption is, that GOG funnels most of their profits into CD Projekt Red for development of the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, that's why we barely see any technical progress in GOG itself lately (including Linux support).
Post edited February 12, 2014 by shmerl
What surprises me most is not the numbers for Linux, but for OSX. Somehow everybody is under the impression that OSX sells so much better than Linux, but this is simply not true. Despite the fact that Macs are so popular (personal observation from daily life), the actual sales are not so much higher than sales on Linux. Also Apple has an already established position in the market, so the sales are not going to skyrocket all of the sudden, while Linux market share is growing right now. And that is why I fail to see why anyone would consider releasing a game on OSX and not on Linux. After all, they are both Unixes -- if you have a version for one, you are already half way there with the other.
I don't think people understand. Microsoft has fought tooth and nail to convince developers their platform should be the only platform to develop for. They have backed it up by pushing kick-backs (Money) to developers to not only develop solely for Windows but to also publicly crucify Open Source.

In using Windows, you become part of the problem. You inadvertently tell developers you want Windows only Software and Games. By buying and playing Games on Windows, you contribute to Microsoft's success on it's war with Linux, Open Source and Multi-platform.

DirectX, Basic, XNA, crippled OpenGL, back-channel funding, SCO; when is it going to sink in people? When it's too late?.
Some developers saying it took just a few days for them to port a game and fixing bugs means they're doing things right in the technical side, platform agnostic = future-proof. They also think is worthy not only because they earn money but because they gain freedom, any company not concerned about this will loose big opportunities. I'd say those are bright minds that will lead the way for others.
Just some comments on the article that I like. It's a pity that GOG won't listen to its passionate users and continues to fall into the Microsoft trap.
Post edited February 12, 2014 by Future_Suture
Papers Please for Linux is out: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/papersplease_storefront

< snip>
Future_Suture: Just some comments on the article that I like. It's a pity that GOG won't listen to its passionate users and continues to fall into the Microsoft trap.
Damn... I would enjoy (and fund!) a free and open source (gaming) platform ...but up to now the community was unable to provide on. Bickering around how evil MS or how bad Windows is fixes not the flaws of linux.
Post edited February 12, 2014 by shaddim
The Crytek software development kit just showed up on SteamDB. In addition, looking at the entry for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, it looks like it is being prepared for launch. Is Valve planning something for today (1 year anniversary, Valentine's Day)?
On one hand, it would be nice for GOG to provide Linux versions.

On the other hand, we're talking about the same people who massively broke their homepage in the winter sale and still haven't fixed it.

I'd rather they get their basic site and forum functionality working properly first.
Ecosystem update:
After some heavy fighting of several (political) factions, Debian decided for systemd as default init system for next release. Ubuntu, user and supporter of the most important but losing alternative upstart, will follow debian to systemd. Meaning, all major players decided for the same (and most advanced) technology.

What is the connection to gog and why is this good news?
Well, one reason why systemd was heavily fought is that it will bring potentially a substantial policy change: in the long run it will bring the distros more near together & cuts legacy ends and variations. This potentially marks a shift from the dominant policy of "portability and choice is more important than coherence and consistency" in the linux ecosystem. (Also, it was a decision for technical progress and against excessive POSIX idolizing).

Which would help address the concerns of gog in supporting linux as coherent platform. :)
Post edited February 15, 2014 by shaddim
shaddim: snip
This will change nothing.
Well nothing for the rest of world that is (non-Debian distros).
shaddim: snip
simon_vd: This will change nothing.
Well nothing for the rest of world that is (non-Debian distros).
The most relevant non-debian distros are already systemd too (Fedora, Opensuse, Arch etc). Sure, there is Gentoo... but this is clearly not a relevant desktop OS for normal end-users. ;) That Lennart made systemd well integrating with other system parts will help bringing the distros and system parts in consistent way together, where now endless and needless variation per distro was existing. Will also help realizing the full modern capabilities of the kernel which were up to now not fully utilized because of excessive "we must stay posix and portable" concerns of traditionalists. Linus and other kernel developer are positive against systemd because finally their user space exposed modern API capabilites are used (no only the outdated posix subset)

We will see, but I'm positive that this has an impact on the ecosystem in favour for a consistent and modern OS vision for linux and against the old and traditional "toolbox & hacker" vision.
Post edited February 15, 2014 by shaddim
shaddim: Ecosystem update:
After some heavy fighting of several (political) factions, Debian decided for systemd as default init system for next release. Ubuntu, user and supporter of the most important but losing alternative upstart, will follow debian to systemd. Meaning, all major players decided for the same (and most advanced) technology.

What is the connection to gog and why is this good news?
Well, one reason why systemd was heavily fought is that it will bring potentially a substantial policy change: in the long run it will bring the distros more near together & cuts legacy ends and variations. This potentially marks a shift from the dominant policy of "portability and choice is more important than coherence and consistency" in the linux ecosystem. (Also, it was a decision for technical progress and against excessive POSIX idolizing).

Which would help address the concerns of gog in supporting linux as coherent platform. :)
Huh. That does seem like it could be good news. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye on this going forward.
Marcin Iwiński of CD Projekt Red talks about why they didn't consider releasing Witcher 3 for Linux so far (giving the same uninformed argument about distro fragmentation). But then he says that they will be interested if SteamOS will work out. So there is some hope.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/galyonkin.com/wp-content/podcast/Galyonkin-S02E52.mp3

(from 1:29:16)
Post edited February 15, 2014 by shmerl
shmerl: Papers Please for Linux is out: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/papersplease_storefront
Excellent. Makes me think the confusion I felt when I bought Papers Please on humble only to find no download because it didn't have a Linux version was worth it. After that I felt maybe I should have bought it on GOG but this vindicates my feeling that whilst GOG clearly have no interested in Linux it's better to buy these indie games which have a high percentage making Linux version on Humble even if at release it's only available on Windows.
drinnen: it's better to buy these indie games which have a high percentage making Linux version on Humble even if at release it's only available on Windows.
Yes, until GOG will start supporting Linux it's clearly better to buy DRM-free games from Humble Bundle even if they don't have a Linux version. Because when one comes out later, HB just automatically adds it to your account, while GOG... ignores it.
Post edited February 16, 2014 by shmerl
shmerl: Marcin Iwiński of CD Projekt Red talks about why they didn't consider releasing Witcher 3 for Linux so far (giving the same uninformed argument about distro fragmentation). But then he says that they will be interested if SteamOS will work out. So there is some hope.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/galyonkin.com/wp-content/podcast/Galyonkin-S02E52.mp3

(from 1:29:16)
Do you have a source for that that is not entirely in Polish? Google Translate can't even translate that website for me.
Future_Suture: Do you have a source for that that is not entirely in Polish? Google Translate can't even translate that website for me.
In the interview questions are in Russian, but answers are in English. Just fast forward to 1:29:16 in the audio for the relevant part.
Post edited February 16, 2014 by shmerl