It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

People have the power!

Crowdfunding is a controversial topic for some but a real godsend for others. What's indisputable, though, is that through the years Kickstarter has become an incubator for tons of cool game concepts, many of which gathered enough support to become a reality.

Over 10,000 of them in fact!

That's right, the Kickstarter-funded game projects (concerning video games and beyond) have recently reached this rather bewildering number as you can read <span class="bold">in their celebratory post</span>.
An impressive milestone and an excellent opportunity to look at some of the standout titles to come out of Kickstarter, both past and upcoming. See if you can spot any of your favorites:

-<span class="bold">Broken Age</span>: Tim Schafer's return to the point & clicks wasn't all smooth sailing, as illustrated in the <span class="bold">Double Fine Adventure</span> documentary. Still, this was the project that solidified Kickstarter as a perfectly viable platform for video game funding.
If you're quick you can get Broken Age now 80% off!

-<span class="bold">FTL</span> / <span class="bold">Darkest Dungeon</span> / <span class="bold">Hyper Light Drifter</span>: They all asked for humble sums of money but got heaps in return. Another thing they have in common? The released products were even greater successes, far exceeding everybody's expectations!
FTL is 75% off right now!

-<span class="bold">Shovel Knight</span>: Its funding campaign met with significant success but it still pales in comparison to the massive amounts of adoration it's received since.

-<span class="bold">Sunless Sea</span>: A modest crowdfunding campaign led to a beloved cult hit and an upcoming <span class="bold">sequel</span>, also funded through Kickstarter.
Get it now 67% off!

-<span class="bold">Pillars of Eternity</span> / <span class="bold">Divinity: Original Sin</span> / <span class="bold">Wasteland 2</span> / <span class="bold">Shadowrun Returns</span> / <span class="bold">Torment: Tides of Numenera</span>: After gathering millions of dollars in funding, these games heralded the glorious resurgence of isometric RPGs and we love them for it.

-<span class="bold">The Banner Saga</span>: The stunning art and the team's pedigree made this an easy Kickstarter success. The developers regretted not coming back to Kickstarter for the <span class="bold">second chapter</span> but rectified this mistake with The Banner Saga 3 which is going to conclude their turn-based epic.

-<span class="bold">Obduction</span>: Bringing the guys who made Myst out of semi-retirement is cause enough for celebration. This excellent puzzle adventure is just an added bonus.

-<span class="bold">STASIS</span>: Mark Morgan, the composer for classics like Fallout and Planescape: Torment, was so intrigued by this campaign that he asked to be a part of it. Same as 4000+ other people.

Kickstarter was also the spawning ground for some more recent and upcoming gems, like:

-<span class="bold">Rain World</span>: Unique, beautiful, and unforgiving. Just like its beasties.
-<span class="bold">Night in the Woods</span>: Superbly written, impeccably scored, critically praised. Gregg rules, ok?
-<span class="bold">Thimbleweed Park</span>: Less than a week after its release, it already has fans raving about its unmistakably retro charms. And if Monkey Island's legacy is anything to go by, this is just the beginning.
-<span class="bold">Pinstripe</span>: One man's mind-bending journey through hell, as conceived and executed by one man. And 3,780 backers.
-<span class="bold">Yooka-Laylee</span>: The charming return of the two-creature-team-up 3D platformers. Just look at all the colors!

So what's your relationship with Kickstarter? Are you a frequent backer? Which crowdfunded games have you enjoyed the most?
Post edited April 04, 2017 by maladr0Id
low rated
I know there are many opponents of crowdfunding around in all the gaming communities, but just looking at the glorious list up here simply creates one question: Why?

You are focussing to much on the fails and too less on all the wins.
Post edited April 04, 2017 by RadonGOG
GOG.com: -<span class="bold">Broken Age</span>: Tim Schafer's return to the point & clicks wasn't all smooth sailing, as illustrated in the <span class="bold">Double Fine Adventure</span> documentary. Still, this was the project that solidified Kickstarter as a perfectly viable platform for video game funding.
If you're quick you can get it now 80% off!
it = Broken Age*

*note to people who thought that Double Fine Adventure documentary is discounted too
Post edited April 04, 2017 by Frozen
No discount for Shovel Knight?
Good opportunity for PoE -75% :]
Anyway - there should be more list for successful KS projects so people had more faith in it and fund good games.
Why Grim Dawn isn't listed?
low rated
Another upcoming boring Gog promo ?
OraEtLabora: No discount for Shovel Knight?
LMFAO!!
Can't think of an awesome Kickstarter game that isn't here on GOG.
I mean, kickstarter + drm free all the way, right? :P
I kickstarted War for the Overworld, still feel a little cheated on their idea of DRM Free. But they've updated the Humble version and promised to release here after the last expansion. So they might redeem themselves.

Also KickStarted

MechWarrior. Given the Developers work with ShadowRun I'm expecting a great game.

Battle Princess Madelyn, on the promise of a DRM free version.
vicklemos: Can't think of an awesome Kickstarter game that isn't here on GOG.
I mean, kickstarter + drm free all the way, right? :P
War for the Overworld

But it has been promised
Post edited April 04, 2017 by mechmouse
I'm very happy so far with what I backed on kickstarter or elsewhere, the only "meh" thing is the Broken Age, and the only "bad" thing is Wasteland 2... maybe one day I'll finish Broken Age, but I'll never play Wasteland 2 again, sorry...

but the new Torment, both "new" Divinities, all three Shadowruns, even Memoranda, I'm really happy they exist!
RadonGOG: I know there are many opponents of crowdfunding around in all the gaming communities, but just looking at the glorious list up here simply creates one question: Why?

I am one of those who think Kickstarter, alongside with Indie game movement since cca. 2009 (Braid), have brought back all the aspects of gaming which were lost in AAA titles.

I consider crowdfunding a blessing and something, which revitalized various genres (namely RPGS and adventures) or games though lost forever (Tex Murphy).

And even big studios took notice (Ubisoft and Might&Magic X).

Shadowrun games, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity 1, StarCrawlers (InDev), Darkest Dungeon, Divinity:Original Sin, Stasis, Memoranda - and those are just a games that were released.
Why anybody would think this is a bad thing is beyond me.
Out of the 10k funded, how many have actually delivered?
Out of those that actually delivered, how many are on GOG?
How many of those that delivered and are on GOG are currently on sale?
OraEtLabora: No discount for Shovel Knight?
HA! ;P

mechmouse: War for the Overworld

But it has been promised
Yep, that one. Aaand it's on promo on a drm-non-free site elsewhere. Humpf!
Post edited April 04, 2017 by vicklemos
RadonGOG: I know there are many opponents of crowdfunding around in all the gaming communities, but just looking at the glorious list up here simply creates one question: Why?

Tarhiel: I am one of those who think Kickstarter, alongside with Indie game movement since cca. 2009 (Braid), have brought back all the aspects of gaming which were lost in AAA titles.

I consider crowdfunding a blessing and something, which revitalized various genres (namely RPGS and adventures) or games though lost forever (Tex Murphy).

And even big studios took notice (Ubisoft and Might&Magic X).

Shadowrun games, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity 1, StarCrawlers (InDev), Darkest Dungeon, Divinity:Original Sin, Stasis, Memoranda - and those are just a games that were released.
Why anybody would think this is a bad thing is beyond me.
Indeed, Kickstarter is a great thing.

I think that when people say it's bad in games they usually reference the Ouya, or projects that take the money and put out an Early Access that never really gets finished/accomplishes it's goals. Of course this sort of thing isn't only true for Kickstarter anyway (Cortex Command can be seen as a good example, IIRC it got funding out of Humble Bundle pre-sales back when it was less of a Steam thing).