It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

amrit9037: I am a true gog and drm free user!
That's just what a faker would say!
leontas2007: Now I only see new games.
Maybe gog needs some way to present their new releases of old games better (maybe via a seperate rss/news feed) ?
Because gog is still releasing old games - just recently at least "Superhero League of Hoboken" (great game btw.) was released, and I am pretty sure there were some more released recently.

But maybe that is (in opposite to many problems people like to make up here) a real problem gog has:

Releases of old games "drown" in new releases - but that should be solvable rather easily
amrit9037: I am a true gog and drm free user!
huppumies: That's just what a faker would say!
You have no idea how true that is:)
Here from the very beginning. Still I prefer "good old games" I always been here for them, later for INDIE GAMES (But Nintendo Switch is my preference for them now), what I most buy here now are asian games not usually available in other places, plus some indies and good old games (less good ones available since long time ago)

But I think the website need to continue appealing new users, is just that it would also need to come back better and more often to its roots.
What is a true user? That should be someone who buys games from here and plays them, right, nothing more, nothing less. I do not care when a game was released, just that it works on my computer and I enjoy playing it and can afford it. An overwhelming majority of my games have been bought here.
Lilura: Yep. And that why I'm saying if the guy doesn't like the apparent new direction, he can always go elsewhere or do what I did: carve out your own little place, where new players won't go, or if they do you just screen them out.
But we are talking of people who came to GOG for what GOG started out as. In the OPs case, that apparently was getting old games and making them work on new OSs, especially those not available in such a form elsewhere. In mine, it was an organization with the specific mission of changing the industry's rotten practices, the two specific ones listed being to get rid of BOTH DRM AND regional pricing, and then also, being former "pirates" themselves, not having this attitude that they're entitled to people's money in exchange for digital copies of stuff and they'll bring down the law on anyone who disagrees, but using the carrot instead of the stick, offering a better product than the "pirates". And, I guess in both cases, also looking for the unusually nice community created here in the early years.
So, if you're just some regular person, not someone with either followers or what not to build a community around nor with the skills and contacts to start another project with that same mission GOG had at the start, where do you go?
leontas2007: Hello.

I don't really check the community tab and I don't write often. I am here on gog for the "good old games"

So is it me or gog is not gog anymore. I mean yes new games, I am ok with that, gog is my favorite platform, not that I play new games but having an option is not bad.

Now why you have to abandon the old fanbase which came here for the older games. I see on wishlist so many great games, and gog is doing nothing. The first game that I remember seeing here that was new and blew me away was Withcer 3. I said why?!?!?! I wasn't mad, I just said, new games here huh? cool.

Now I only see new games. New releases yeah ok who cares? I don't want to disrespect people that are here for the new games. Ok you like new games and this is not bad... bbbbbbbbut! this site used to be a place for people who liked old to ancient games. You can hate old games all you want, its perfectly fine, you don't see what we see...

So is there anyone still here you still waits for gog to release some old gems?

EDIT: I see. I don't remember forums being so toxic. I mean I had so say all this shit " its ok to like new game" and blablalbabal only so I can say that I want old games back, and now I have braindead people post braindead comments.
Now I am waiting for other cancerous people to come and be offended about real braindead people.
I mostly just lurk now too. I didn't find out about good old games straight away (think it was the 2nd year it was around) but back then it had very little in the way of games or publicity and felt very community driven and special. Being able to access the games I loved or always coveted growing up was a big thing for me and having tge compatibility meant no more sifting through dodgy abandonware sites & patch sites.

GOG has definitely lost it's way for me, although I do still make purchases but the line between GOG & steam has been blurred for me.

Over the years I've watched GOG constantly throwing new ideas out before properly thinking them through and then pushing them aggresively: GOG Galaxy, rubbish DLC (soundtracks, microcontent etc not proper expansions), regional pricing, lots of shovelware, drm free video???, bad redesigns, curators, end user agreements, abandoning the $5.99, $9.99 rule for classic games, social media integration and necessity for competitions (like us on sh*tbook for a chance to win X game).

as for the forums nowadays they do seem full of childish 'Please notice me!' or 'I'm so witty' posts and pathetic flame wars so I don't really bother, I just read the forums now & then (every week or 2 whereas it used to be multiple times a day.)
serpantino: GOG has definitely lost it's way
And thinking of it even better now, it probably started when they had to sell Witcher 2 under the terms CDP had already agreed as part of their distribution deal for physical copies. They tried to fight it tooth and nail, even just about told users to change their location when buying it to avoid the regional pricing it came with, at a time when they were firmly "one-world-one-price", went to court to fight to the last the obligation to use geolocation, but eventually lost. Now that regional pricing was removed after a while, but it marked the moment when CDP's business interests overrode GOG's values and mission. After that they expanded to allow new games and higher prices, which wasn't in itself a bad thing but led to what came later, and then there was the "good news" of 2014, and since then it's unquestionable.
low rated
Cavalary: But we are talking of people who came to GOG for what GOG started out as. In the OPs case, that apparently was getting old games and making them work on new OSs, especially those not available in such a form elsewhere.
I have no sympathy. If you can't get your hands on a game and then get it going then you probably don't have the aptitiude to play it anyway.

GoG is irrelevant to people who know how to use computers.
offering a better product than the "pirates".
Except GoG don't offer a better game than the originals or the pirates. See, the originals or pirated versions can be played unpatched or expansion-less. This gives those players more freedom to play the game how they want.

In the vast majority of cases, GoG does not allow for unpatched or expansion-less versions of the game to be installed. They enforce the final version, which is sometimes inferior, easier or game-imbalancing. They have even unofficially patched and, moreover, MODDED cult classics. That is wrong. I have written about this at length on my blog. I never play the GoG versions. Ever. I play the original media versions either from CDs bought when the games came out or by using emulators such as WinUAE and DOSBox. Everyone was doing this just fine before GoG came along, and there were, and are, many niche communities for each and every game. The veterans with encyclopaedic knowledge don't post it on GoG. The knowledge-based is preserved on specific sites and blogs.

I laugh at the stickies for the games I cover on my blog. No one should follow their advice. Total newbies with bad taste. They are one step up from people who post dumbed down "guides" on buzzfeeds just to get the upvotes.

I don't care about the opinions of new players. That's why they are screened out from commenting on my blog. They have no historical context, they weren't there when the games came out.What they think is utterly irrelevant to me. My blog would be 10x bigger if I let them in, but I don't. Still, my blog is big and gets the traffic, which should tell you something.

The rules are as follows:

1. "Criticism of Renaissance RPGs based on degenerate current gen fads, trends and "sensibilities" are ignored."

2. "Remake-based comments on my retrospectives don't get through the gate. This blog is about original-game narrative that has been in an authoritative state for 20 years. I don't care if a remake fixed this or broke that; I don't care who made the remake or who sanctioned it: there is only one authoritative version of a game, and that's the one released and patched by the original devs."
And, I guess in both cases, also looking for the unusually nice community created here in the early years.
There were and still are way better communities for games than GoG, both general and specific.
So, if you're just some regular person, not someone with either followers or what not to build a community around nor with the skills and contacts to start another project with that same mission GOG had at the start, where do you go?
Use your imagination. Explore. GoG is not the be-all and end-all. It never was, isn't now and never will be.

You people are so ignorant. And ignorance is its own punishment.
Lilura: Use your imagination. Explore. GoG is not the be-all and end-all. It never was, isn't now and never will be.

You people are so ignorant. And ignorance is its own punishment.
So ignoring the fact that your saying pirated versions are better than GOGs versions and pirated versions are illegal.

A) GOG is anything but irrelevant to those of us that know how to use a computer. I'll take an example before Galaxy came along by dad was always asking me how to install games he brought from GOG, since Galaxy he just uses that.

B) Most times theres no need to run an older version, the newest versions usually runs better. And if you want an expansion less experiance just delete the expansion. Its not tough to do. Its also legal.

C) Any online thing Mods games now takes Sin, Steam mods it to remove offending posters. Theres a mod that adds that back easy enough.

D) GOG makes game playable on newer systems. Do I want to faff about batteling older games to get the sound working or in Indiana Jones put up with the glitches that the patch has but GOG's version doesnt? No. GOG provides a service to the older games that we have the disc versions for and safes alot of messing about and introduces them to a new generation.

E) Quit being a pirate!
low rated
Pond86: E) Quit being a pirate!
A tiresomely predictable response. Yes, I'm a pirate because I said "the originals and the pirated versions (which by the very fact of being pirated allow for original setup procedures)" have more flexibility for installation than the GoG versions.

Ironically, it's the GoG customers who never supported the games when they came out. Buying a game for a dollar now doesn't mean shit, son. All of my blog write-ups are based on original CD versions purchased when the games came out.

Your other "points" are also just "your word against mine". Difference is, I'm authoritiative and the leading commentator for the games I cover (and it isn't GoG editorials linking to my blog that proves that), whereas you come off as a shitposter lost in the shuffle, and unread.
Lilura: A tiresomely predictable response. Yes, I'm a pirate because I said "the originals and the pirated versions (which by the very fact of being pirated allow for original setup procedures)" have more flexibility for installation than the GoG versions.

Ironically, it's the GoG customers who never supported the games when they came out. Buying a game for a dollar now doesn't mean shit, son. All of my blog write-ups are based on original CD versions purchased when the games came out.

Your other "points" are also just "your word against mine". Difference is, I'm authoritiative and the leading commentator for the games I cover (and it isn't GoG editorials linking to my blog that proves that), whereas you come off as a shitposter lost in the shuffle, and unread.
Ok so firstly your not "authoritiative and the leading commentator for the games I cover" as I dont know you.

Also you really expect someone to go out now and buy and Windows 95 game that will not run under Windows 10, yet GOG have that same game that will run under Windows 10. Also funds go to the cureent rights holder compared to the eBay version they could of brought that would of just gone to the seller and eBay?

And yes, pirated versions are usually the orignal versions which will not usually run under newer systems out of the box. GOG verisons ussually do and if not then support is helpful. Out of the box versions your out of luck and if you are trying to run a Windows 95 games under Windows 10 then tough luck your on your own.

For someone that runs a blog and GOG links to your pretty bad.
low rated
Pond86: Ok so firstly your not "authoritiative and the leading commentator for the games I cover" as I dont know you.
As someone who off-handedly accuses people of piracy and probably hasn't played the games I cover, what you know and don't know isn't in any way reflective of my commentary.
Also you really expect someone to go out now and buy and Windows 95 game that will not run under Windows 10, yet GOG have that same game that will run under Windows 10.
It isn't my concern how other people get the games or get them going.
Also funds go to the cureent rights holder compared to the eBay version they could of brought that would of just gone to the seller and eBay?
Learn to distinguish between current rights holder and original developer. Paying a buck now for a 20 year old game doesn't mean shit. Paying $60 when it came out? That mattered.
And yes, pirated versions are usually the orignal versions which will not usually run under newer systems out of the box. GOG verisons ussually do and if not then support is helpful.
That support was, is now, and always will be available independendly of GoG. Are you a GoG fanboy? Are you shilling for a content delivery service? (Those are just questions.)
For someone that runs a blog and GOG links to your pretty bad.
I know. But yet I'm read and you're not.
Lilura: "Hi, did you know I run a blog?" Everyone: "YES."
Lilura: GoG is irrelevant to people who know how to abuse computers.
FTFY. Also GOG is irrelevant for people without a conscience. Agreed.

Lilura: A tiresomely predictable response. Yes, I'm a pirate because I said "the originals and the pirated versions (which by the very fact of being pirated allow for original setup procedures)" have more flexibility for installation than the GoG versions.
I agree that GOG should supply the complete old version for tinkerers, which is not always the case. GOG versions are for convenience rather than hacking. That's what it makes worth the money.

Lilura: Ironically, it's the GoG customers who never supported the games when they came out. Buying a game for a dollar now doesn't mean shit, son. All of my blog write-ups are based on original CD versions purchased when the games came out.
Talking about yourself? I have more than 2000 physical games on various disk formats... and I've re-bought about 80% here when they were release, just for the sake of convenience and support. I know some avid GOG users with more than 1,500 games here - and more than 12,000 (yes, really) games in physical form.
Post edited February 28, 2019 by toxicTom