It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Long post here. Bunch of replies, sorry about that.

ConsulCaesar: I find the "lynch all liars" affair a weird battle to pick. Everybody has moved on from the initial joke except Lifthrasil. Even to classify it as a lie is a bit of a stretch.
Well,Lift isn't entirely wrong. Muddying the waters is a major tactic of scum trying to keep us guessing. When townies are the ones doing it scum's work becomes a lot easier. I also imagine the possibility that neither of Agent, Yog and Lift are scum while the real scum is doubling with laughter seeing Townies fighting among themselves.
(By that I don't mean that I'm confident that none of them is scum, just that I'm not confident there is scum there. In that case we could end up lynching Agent and Yog by Lift's recommendation, see that we lost only townies and therefore assume he's scum and lynch a third townie)
My opinion isn't too far from SirPrimalForm's #116: Agent's first post is not enough to even vote for him, but also not something I'll forget if I see more scumminess down the line.
So far my scumdar gauges Lift slightly more townie, although a bit radical on LAL, Yog slightly scummier than neutral, and Agent a bit more.

ConsulCaesar: According to Dumbledore's speech, it's not Gryffindor vs Slytherine, it's all three other Houses combined against Slytherine. So if there's a neutral, they will probably have a different flavor.
If there is another faction it could be from another school — like in HP and the Goblet of Fire. That is all moot tho. What matters is that either there is or isn't a third faction regardless of what ZFR decided to call them in case they exist.

GameRager: Ravenclaw here, in the house and representin'. *raises the roof*
Lies! You said you have poor memory yourself. You would never remember the password to enter your house's dorms. :-)

SirPrimalform: Yeah, names are likely of reasonable importance. Joe ran a game like that a while back and the scum had a name cop which they successfully used to learn my name, claim it and claim that my name was theirs. We (the town) lost. :(
That must have been a clever but risky play. Once that conflict is established it's 50% chance town hits scum, or actually even less if scum chooses a townie who is already suspected. It could work but then they are a certain lynch the next day. I would like to read it all when this game is over, please.

ZFR: Sorry for the delay, guys, but I don't want so sub anyone on a Sunday before the situation clarifies itself. If necessary, D1 will be extended.
I suppose you have a spell for that too?
Hey guys

I've a splendid idea

Let's not give a cow fart in a thunderstorm about who claims to be in what house, and instead lynch the wolfy people

i.e., the people not attempting to move the game forward and solve

The people asking questions, giving reads, digging for information, trying to solve the game? We don't lynch those people.

The people not asking questions, talking about only game mechanics, not giving opinions, and generally not sticking their neck out and trying to coast by? We lynch those people.
yogsloth: Hey guys

I've a splendid idea

Let's not give a cow fart in a thunderstorm about who claims to be in what house, and instead lynch the wolfy people

i.e., the people not attempting to move the game forward and solve

The people asking questions, giving reads, digging for information, trying to solve the game? We don't lynch those people.

The people not asking questions, talking about only game mechanics, not giving opinions, and generally not sticking their neck out and trying to coast by? We lynch those people.
Yogs how I’ve missed your play style. So who do you think is the top of the STU list and why? What’s your opinion of SirPrimalform?
SirPrimalform: Yeah, names are likely of reasonable importance. Joe ran a game like that a while back and the scum had a name cop which they successfully used to learn my name, claim it and claim that my name was theirs. We (the town) lost. :(
joppo: That must have been a clever but risky play. Once that conflict is established it's 50% chance town hits scum, or actually even less if scum chooses a townie who is already suspected. It could work but then they are a certain lynch the next day. I would like to read it all when this game is over, please.
Yeah, it was MYLO IIRC. Link for later:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/captain_sapphire_the_movie_gog_mafia_57/page1

Shit, work's about to start.
GameRager: Usually a good number randomly vote in silly fashion on the first day...this is seemingly tradition and also used by some to break the ice and also possibly try and figure out the alignment of some by others.
Agreed. Although we have seemingly moved from the joking & poking that is to be expected at the very beginning to a more meaty stage.

GameRager: From previous games I can say with near certainty that all game mods/OPs tell the players some time in advance when a day will end....usually around 24 hours(more or less) advance notice is given in most games.
Thanks! This is really good to know.

yogsloth: I've a splendid idea [...]
Sounds about right. Not holding this too seriously against anyone so far, though, especially Uniwizard first-timers, since this has been only the beginning. Then again, now is the time to come forward.

On the other hand, if lying might be a liability for Gryffindor, not helping out might be another liability, though (as well as a Votus bait that helps Slytherin).

yogsloth: Let's not give a cow fart in a thunderstorm about who claims to be in what house
Saying their true name is the last resort of all headed for the gallows. So, it is not like we can forget about each one's individual identity /:- |

Right now, trying to think as a Slytherin: whom to take out during the special casting phase? In what order?
ConsulCaesar: I find the "lynch all liars" affair a weird battle to pick. Everybody has moved on from the initial joke except Lifthrasil. Even to classify it as a lie is a bit of a stretch.
joppo: Well,Lift isn't entirely wrong. Muddying the waters is a major tactic of scum trying to keep us guessing. When townies are the ones doing it scum's work becomes a lot easier. I also imagine the possibility that neither of Agent, Yog and Lift are scum while the real scum is doubling with laughter seeing Townies fighting among themselves.
I feel if something has been muddying the waters it's Lift's zealous attititude towards the joke. The discussion has been monopolized by something that was not really relevant (IMO) and has ended in "OK, nevermind".
So, I see a lot of talk about Gryffindor seeking out Slytherin and that sort of jazz. Why? What's the significance of the Gryffindor in HP?

Overall though, I agree with yogsloth. Let's go for the wolfy people rather than try to figure out the mechanics, and on Day 1 of all days even. Things went so well when worrying about third factions and game balance in Supernatural.

RWarehall: ...
I'm curious, what are your thoughts on Lift? Do you see his exchanges and talk about LAL as worrisome and possible backtracking, or something else that was lost on us? I'd appreciate the insight!
PookaMustard: So, I see a lot of talk about Gryffindor seeking out Slytherin and that sort of jazz. Why? What's the significance of the Gryffindor in HP?
Well, as you know (since you read the rules :D ), most of us are suppossed to be affiliated to House Gryffindor (this Harry Potter and his friends belong to House Gryffindor), with maybe some Hufflepuff and (what Muggles call 'town'), united against members of House Slytherin ('mafia' or 'wolfes' in Mugglespeak). Slytherin are widely seen as cunning and ambitous, and apt to mischief. House Gryffindor and Slytherin have a long story of rivalry within Hogwarts School.

Why are Houses relevant? Because each of us has bears a true name that has been prominently mentioned in something called 'the books'. Anyone can claim a name. If X says his name is Y, then Y will know that for a lie.
'with maybe some Hufflepuff and' => 'with maybe some Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw'
As the participants are looking for the artifact, flying about and casting spells on each others, Hagrid suddenly runs onto the field.

"We gave ye the wrong potion!!!" he shouts, then pulls the sanscript and forcefeeds him something from a flask. "There. That should do it."

As Hagrid leaves the field, you notice that the participant who looked like sanscript a while ago is now changing into someone else.

sanscript has been replaced by Microfish_1. Any votes by or on sanscirpt have been transferred accordingly.

Meanwhile, Mr. Filch who's been cleaning the stands, oblivious of the tumult around him, fishes out a leather bag from under one of the seats. It looks like Mr. Filch has accidentally won the Tournament. When you open the bag however, you only find the Philosopher's stones inside. Wrong artifact.

The Tournament continues.
Post edited February 03, 2020 by ZFR
D1 will end Saturday afternoon/evening UTC.

Carradice: @ZFR:Professor, will we get a last warning before Day 1 ends, so that there is a little time for a final decision on Votus/Unvotus?
Yes, I'll try and give more precise end time as D1 end approaches.
soooo, LAL unearthed scene in 57, but is less useful in sh when noone trusts anyone. hmmm. kinda like here?

Also, GR, I know you got condiments recently, and are still hungry, but i'd avoid those beans. my stomach is still unhappy.

thinks he sees the ball and dives for it, only to trip over a low-flying treebranch and do a faceplant on the...turf? grass? artificial turf? concrete (Ouch!). Anyway, you can tell it hurt.

something was said early on that i wish to go back to. but first, correcting a misconception.

ZFR: 17. Playing Age of Wonders 2 instead of Mafia is not allowed.
GameRager: What about other games, and is it ok if it doesn't stop one from playing the game? :)
if they exist and this isn't a reference that has flown by me, they are prob rules about specific to the various faction(s)

FlockeSchnee: Quidditch field... *shudder* I'm grateful for the broomstick. Walking around would be a real pain. Plus, seeing how crowded the starting area is, I might actually get a chance to get a better view on this whole mess I'm in. Maybe I will actually be able to see something suspicious.

So, once the vote count starts, the game gets serious. Meaning I missed the chance to dip my toe into the water before jumping in. Oh, well.
ah, the "dipping the toe in" bit lasts all of d1. you haven't missed it.

---------------------------

FlockeSchnee: From ZFR's post, I take it all 4 houses play and only Slytherin is the "bad apple" (as to be expected in this setup).
So another faction (if there is any) might not be related to the Houses or might be mingled among them (and then maybe except for Gryffindor because that's how special they are?).

ConsulCaesar: According to Dumbledore's speech, it's not Gryffindor vs Slytherine, it's all three other Houses combined against Slytherine. So if there's a neutral, they will probably have a different flavor.
FlockeSchnee: Agreed (about 3 against Slystherin). Different flavour? You mean like that Ministry for example?
Carradice: This hypotetical third party might not be necessary hostile to the other two teams? Also, might there be even a fourth party?
agentcarr16: A hypothetical third faction is most likely a survivor of some kind.

A fourth faction? Unlikely.
Carradice: Here, the Arstotzcan Chronicles. One of many volumes that might be useful. Good stuff, it seems, but it might take a life and a half to read *shivers*.
Note that the modchat Post 119 for that game contains a quote

I particularly like when Bookwyrm laid out exactly the changes made to the set up before dismissing it as a possibility.

This struck me hard. I suspect that since HP has 4 main houses in this school, but that the OP tallks about Griffyndor vs Slytherin, that the other two houses are in the game as independent factions, all of whom have to defeat slytherin, but have differing win conditions (e.g. a SK, last alive, a faction "all town and slytherin must die" etc.)

---------------------------------

so that i don't fall prey again and allow the scum to claim no one ever voted for them... (you may groan collectively now)...

vote SirMrMailProf

vote yogsloth

vote trentonlf

vote Lifthrasil

vote FlockeSchnee

vote JoeSapphire

vote Carradice

vote RWarehall

vote GameRager

vote ConsulCaesar

v... er...no vote on sanscript/micro

vote joppo

vote PookaMustard

vote agentcarr16

all have been voted for, the scum have surely been voted for (I'm town.)

Also, something else to discuss in our spare time:

(Double post deleted with Mod's permission)
Attachments:
centaurs.jpg (39 Kb)
Post edited February 03, 2020 by Microfish_1
@RWarehall - You have been conspicuously absent, both in post count and in content.

Votus RWarehall

@GameRager - Are you claiming Ravenclaw?

Yogsloth is my kryptonite. I always read him as town.
Microfish_1: if they exist and this isn't a reference that has flown by me, they are prob rules about specific to the various faction(s)
Rules 18-21 don't exist (yet).

Rule 22 was made in response to someone who said he didn't read OP rules in a previous game.

It's funny because its necessity is self-contradictory. If someone doesn't read the rules, he's not going to read Rule 22 either. And if someone reaches Rule 22 it means he's already read all the rules so Rule 22 is not necessary in any case.
The number of the rule is a reference to a book.

Get it now? 22? Hilarious.
Ok, doing speed-re-read. Writing as I go, so expect opinions to morph throughout. This is essentially my notes, so apologies for stream of consciousness style.

Agent makes his claim and is immediately jumped on by Lift. Wondering if Agent is in fact scum and attempting a WIFOM "he couldn't possibly make that mistake again" bluff, maybe Lift is a teammate who freaked out and started distancing because he had no idea what Agent was thinking? In fact, wasn't that Trent's downfall in the "me baka" game?

Interesting looking back at Trent's second post of the game. He's already 100% certain Agent was joking and tells me specifically in no uncertain terms (just me, not Lift). For some reason Trent then explains his first post to me to point out that he read the rules, it seems like he's trying to illustrate why he thinks Agent read the rules but I don't really get the link. Why skip over Lift and jump straight on me?

Yogs joins in with his post. Seems in character for yogs from what I know, but shouldn't be forgotten about.

Lift's next post is interesting, he backs off on his position a bit. In fact his position in #28 is not far off my position now. What makes him double down on LAL later?

So far Joe's reaction to Agent's claim seems pretty reasonable. Seems to think it likely to be a joke, but not coming on as strong as trent.

Ok, next up I cock up some quotes and spend a few posts discussing this with yogs. Misunderstanding seems sincere at least but I doubt it's AI.

FlockeSchnee shows up next (FlakeSnow? Welcome by the way). Not much to the post, but it's understandable for a newbie.

RW quotes useful info from the wiki.

A bunch of seemingly light hearted RVS posts.

ConsulCaesar sums up the case for interpreting Agent's post as being a joke pretty well. It's either a townie joke or a scum mindfuck, but either way it's clearly deliberate and therefore not a lie per se.

A relatively light on substance post from joppo, also he beat me to the obvious joke response to Agent. Grr.

My post #69 is entirely a joke post, but interestingly I think it's the first mention of LAL in the entire game.

A fight breaks out between yogs and RW #71 - #77. Distancing?

Here we go, #82 is where Lift really doubles down on lynching Agent. Why?

More to come later.