It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
BUG REPORTING: Please use http://mantis.gog.com

Always attach your logs when reporting bugs. You can find them at:
On Windows Vista or later: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On MacOSX: /Users/Shared/GOG.com/Galaxy/Logs

---

Hi, everyone!

The Galaxy team is hard at work to bring you the Client application that will let you manage your GOG.com games library more conveniently. We’d love for the initial release experience to be as smooth and streamlined as possible for everyone, but releasing an app of this scope is no easy feat.

But before we jump in and hand out the alpha Client, we’d like to set some ground rules.

1) The key word here is ‘alpha’, which means that this is not the final app and not all functionalities are present. The purpose of this test is to evaluate the core tech in the Client on a wider set of computer configurations than what we can locally test on, so only core features are included. Below I will post a detailed list of what is present and what we plan to add in future releases.

2) Alpha also means that you can encounter some unexpected issues. If you have a metered connection (a bandwidth cap or payments per bandwidth used) or you’re currently playing and can’t afford a loss of game time, this might not be for you. In other words, if you want to avoid potential problems with the alpha Client, simply wait for the final release.

3) Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made.

If you’ve read all of the above proceed to the signup page: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha

We will be sending out invitations in batches (along with some more info on how to install the client and report bugs), so not everyone will receive one right away.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by Destro
high rated
Hi everyone,

we've released the 0.7 version a couple of minutes ago, here's the changelog:

- Back/Forward navigation in the Store section
- Import Folder - it is now possible to import a game which is not compatible with the client, by clicking the game in the Library section and choosing ‘Import Folder’ from the More dropdown
- Startup page option - it is now possible to decide if the client should start on LIBRARY page, STORE page, or continue previous session
- Search option - you can press enter in the search field to continue searching in the Store
- Option to Show Game Folder added to MORE menu
- New sidebar sorting options (sort by name)
- External links will now be forwarded to the system browser
- Wishlist option added to the LIBRARY menu
- Community option in the STORE menu
- Forum Replies option in the ACCOUNT menu
- Option to keep saves, when uninstalling a game
- Windows: starting the client when another instance is already running should now open the running instance (rather than displaying error message)
- Improved ‘Last Played’ information, which should now show the time of the user stopped playing the game, rather than started playing the game
- Fixed uninstallation issues on Windows
- Fixed an issue which prevented using Paypal, when buying a game
- Fixed an issue which prevented from displaying Terms and Agreements when registering new account
- Fixed some issues when installing and uninstalling DLCs
- Bugfix: client will now not allow dragging elements onto its window
- Fixed memory leaks, causing to crash the application when downloading lots of games
- Fixed a bug which was causing the client to crash on exit
- Fixed an issue, which sometimes caused the client to duplicate the news on game view
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
high rated
HOW TO IMPORT EXISTING GAMES INSTALLATIONS INTO GALAXY

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the "+" button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library, then click the More button and select "Manage" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
LynetteC: To GOG: Am I to understand then that every game I've installed via Galaxy has been completely re-downloaded even though the installer exists under the default text-named folder in my download library rather than the new Galaxy number code? That's a hell of a lot of bandwidth which luckily I'm not short of but I know other people here are.
Destro: The main flow is to indeed 1-click install any game using the Client. Keep in mind that by installing I don't mean downloading installer and running it - Galaxy downloads games in pre-installed form, for the sake of fast and automated updating.

But we've also thought of people who have installers present and prepared two fallbacks to import existing game installations into the Galaxy Client:

Fallback 1. From version 0.6 you already have an option to ask Client to perform a scan within a selected folder for existing installations of GOG games. This will however detect only games installed with newer installers (created from sometime in 2014 I believe) as there must be a specific manifest file present in the installation

If you have installations made with older installers, then:

Fallback 2. Soon (likely from the next version) you will be additionally able to select game from your Library section in the Client and link it to any folder on your disk with the game installation.
when is the next version due?
LynetteC: To GOG: Am I to understand then that every game I've installed via Galaxy has been completely re-downloaded even though the installer exists under the default text-named folder in my download library rather than the new Galaxy number code? That's a hell of a lot of bandwidth which luckily I'm not short of but I know other people here are.
Destro: The main flow is to indeed 1-click install any game using the Client. Keep in mind that by installing I don't mean downloading installer and running it - Galaxy downloads games in pre-installed form, for the sake of fast and automated updating.

But we've also thought of people who have installers present and prepared two fallbacks to import existing game installations into the Galaxy Client:

Fallback 1. From version 0.6 you already have an option to ask Client to perform a scan within a selected folder for existing installations of GOG games. This will however detect only games installed with newer installers (created from sometime in 2014 I believe) as there must be a specific manifest file present in the installation

If you have installations made with older installers, then:

Fallback 2. Soon (likely from the next version) you will be additionally able to select game from your Library section in the Client and link it to any folder on your disk with the game installation.
About your fallback 2:

Right now, I'm re-installing some of my games (mainly the lighter ones and those I haven't touched yet) through Galaxy, but there are some that I'm not sure about re-downloading through Galaxy like those where I have a lot of progress on (Witcher 2) or those that I have heavily modded (Deadly Premonition, Planescape Torment). Should I wait for that new fallback, or should I re-install them (I'm worried about my saved files for my heavily modded games).

Sounds like I'll have to plan the transition very thouroughly.
LynetteC: Will there be a way in the future to point Galaxy to an existing install file and get it to run and import all in one go? I have just short of 400 games backed up on my external hard drive. If I'm going to use Galaxy, it would make more sense just to point it at an installer for a game I've already downloaded and click 'Go' rather than have to locate it on my hard drive in Windows Explorer, run the installer manually and then import it myself before I can access it.
Destro: We don't have anything like that planned at this point - for now focus on delivering core features, sorry.
I understand that as an alpha version, getting the client working with the most fundamental functions is the most important thing but surely if people have already used their bandwidth to back up their games, it would make sense to be able to eventually install and import as one task from within the client?

LynetteC:
Destro: You can always log out and uninstall the Client after the test ;)
Note to self - don't save the password! lol

UPDATE: Running on 2 threads, Return to Krondor stopped at 100% (0.2Mb) I started the install at 14:59 and cancelled it around 21:19.

The message that kept popping up amongst the FileSerializer flushing enties was:

2015-04-19 21:12:25:209 [galaxy_client][Error]: Timeout occurred during PerformRequest (requestId: 20990E045151) for url [url=http://wpc.11df.edgecastcdn.net:80/0011DF/content-system/v1/depots/1207658840/windows/26558133/main.bin?1223fb43868c5f174d699ac85c3ffcf696360d2c33a06c0464b047a72efc13e835badc0e22f47ee682440b1f365194467200d8da8b2e7e1e838afd60d62d965beb75e29b543d89f23c2f620ae9a17b5da65faf67e4af76be4dc28462d185948e5a9bcb0a4e87005056444963e3a2a96815279a1a7e&fileExtForIe=.exe]http://wpc.11df.edgecastcdn.net:80/0011DF/content-system/v1/depots/1207658840/windows/26558133/main.bin?1223fb43868c5f174d699ac85c3ffcf696360d2c33a06c0464b047a72efc13e835badc0e22f47ee682440b1f365194467200d8da8b2e7e1e838afd60d62d965beb75e29b543d89f23c2f620ae9a17b5da65faf67e4af76be4dc28462d185948e5a9bcb0a4e87005056444963e3a2a96815279a1a7e&fileExtForIe=.exe[/url]: Timeout after 607960ms
2015-04-19 21:12:25:230 [galaxy_client][Error]: Internal server error (request: 20990E045151) while trying to get access to binary file main.bin
2015-04-19 21:12:25:235 [galaxy_client][Error]: File 'HiColorChars.t3d' part 46 download failed: 2; downloadErrorCount: 37, responseCode: 0

I've posted the log to mantis, along with the tests I did this afternoon.

Thanks again for your help.
Post edited April 19, 2015 by LynetteC
OK. Probably my first genuine bug report.

Games that I've installed through Galaxy aren't shown as installed on my library if they're on the second page. I tried the first four freeware games and while I can play them after clicking on them, they're not shown as installed until I click on them.

Those on the first page work fine, though.

Edit: Once I install another game, they're shown as installed as they should.
Post edited April 20, 2015 by POLE7645
POLE7645: OK. Probably my first genuine bug report.

Games that I've installed through Galaxy aren't shown as installed on my library if they're on the second page. I tried the first four freeware games and while I can play them after clicking on them, they're not shown as installed until I click on them.

Those on the first page work fine, though.

Edit: Once I install another game, they're shown as installed as they should.
This is also happening to me on all four pages of my library. Once I select a game to be installed, all of my installed games on that page are flagged.
LynetteC: I understand that as an alpha version, getting the client working with the most fundamental functions is the most important thing but surely if people have already used their bandwidth to back up their games, it would make sense to be able to eventually install and import as one task from within the client?
They probably don't want to add the work of making it compatible with old installers. The extracted game is another matter but they're already updating all the installers, I'd imagine doing anything more will feel redundant since you can download it again or just install it.
Post edited April 20, 2015 by Pheace
New installer have some GOG Galaxy specific stuff in it, even if you download the exe installer.
Can someone from Gog please confirm or deny whether or not Alone in the Dark 2 and 3, and the original versions of Broken Sword 1 and 2 will be available as separate library entries so we can actually use Galaxy to launch them? Or at least available to launch via the context menu, like Jack in the Dark?
SHODANFreeman: Can someone from Gog please confirm or deny whether or not Alone in the Dark 2 and 3, and the original versions of Broken Sword 1 and 2 will be available as separate library entries so we can actually use Galaxy to launch them? Or at least available to launch via the context menu, like Jack in the Dark?
Alone in the Dark isn't planned to be unbundled, so no. In the past, someone asked why GOG included the sequels as extras, instead of putting them all in a single installer like all other bundled games. The answer from one of the staff members was, "due to licensing reasons".
Has there been any news since December, about how the client is progressing?
JasmineMoldovia: Has there been any news since December, about how the client is progressing?
Dunno, but the client looks and acts more or less like a chromeless browser window with the features of the old downloader slapped onto it, then called it a good job. The most notably difference to the old downloader is that GOG Galaxy does not use installer anymore, the game files are directly downloaded and updated. You can still download the regular installer though, but this has been put more or less out of direct sight.

Bonus is that you cannot choose the GOG Galaxy client language, you are (geo)locked in.

Most work was appearantly put in the server infrastructure and the web site GOG Galaxy is displaying.

PS: And really, just reverse your unbundling or be at least consistent in it.
Post edited April 22, 2015 by coffeecup
coffeecup: Bonus is that you cannot choose the GOG Galaxy client language, you are (geo)locked in.
Pretty sure that temporary, should be changeable at some point. I believe they have already stated this somewhere.
I'm just wanting a steam-like client that keeps my games up to date and gives me patch notes without me having to run over hill and dale to find it, without any of the drm.
Post edited April 23, 2015 by JasmineMoldovia
coffeecup: Bonus is that you cannot choose the GOG Galaxy client language, you are (geo)locked in.
It's an alpha - and we made it very clear in the first post, that only core features will be included in it, to evaluate tech powering the client on wider set of computer configs. We don't consider language switcher a feature that would require such evaluation.
However, if lack of such switcher in the optional Client alpha test, in which you have opted-in to participate, gives you an impression of being in any way locked, I'm very sorry and advise to not use the Client for now - there is GOG website which we're not taking away from you. :)

BKGaming: Pretty sure that temporary, should be changeable at some point. I believe they have already stated this somewhere.
Sure it will :)

BKGaming: I'm just wanting a steam-like client that keeps my games up to date and gives me patch notes without me having to run over hill and dale to find it, without any of the drm.
And it will offer you exactly that plus many more features, which you will be able to enable or disable, depending on your preference :)
Also, as for your previous question, we're getting ready to leave the alpha in the next few weeks and go into open beta mode. We will provide a big update as it happens with details about new features available and few others coming soon.
Post edited April 23, 2015 by Destro
Destro: It's an alpha - and we made it very clear in the first post, that only core features will be included in it, to evaluate tech powering the client on wider set of computer configs. We don't consider language switcher a feature that would require such evaluation.
However, if lack of such switcher in the optional Client alpha test, in which you have opted-in to participate, gives you an impression of being in any way locked, I'm very sorry and advise to not use the Client for now - there is GOG website which we're not taking away from you. :)
A language switcher may not be a core feature of the underlying tech, but it should *absolutely* be a core feature of any program - no, any *thing* - that is translated into (and distributed with) multiple languages.

My location or computer settings says nothing about the languages I speak. The best choice is to ask the user; if that's not possible, guessing is okay - but if a user doesn't actually speak the language you guessed, they *must* be able to find a way to switch to a language they *do* understand.

I hope you will at least rectify this shortly after going beta. There are few things I dislike more about programs than forced languages (when the alternatives are readily available, that is).