It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
BUG REPORTING: Please use http://mantis.gog.com

Always attach your logs when reporting bugs. You can find them at:
On Windows Vista or later: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On MacOSX: /Users/Shared/GOG.com/Galaxy/Logs

---

Hi, everyone!

The Galaxy team is hard at work to bring you the Client application that will let you manage your GOG.com games library more conveniently. We’d love for the initial release experience to be as smooth and streamlined as possible for everyone, but releasing an app of this scope is no easy feat.

But before we jump in and hand out the alpha Client, we’d like to set some ground rules.

1) The key word here is ‘alpha’, which means that this is not the final app and not all functionalities are present. The purpose of this test is to evaluate the core tech in the Client on a wider set of computer configurations than what we can locally test on, so only core features are included. Below I will post a detailed list of what is present and what we plan to add in future releases.

2) Alpha also means that you can encounter some unexpected issues. If you have a metered connection (a bandwidth cap or payments per bandwidth used) or you’re currently playing and can’t afford a loss of game time, this might not be for you. In other words, if you want to avoid potential problems with the alpha Client, simply wait for the final release.

3) Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made.

If you’ve read all of the above proceed to the signup page: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha

We will be sending out invitations in batches (along with some more info on how to install the client and report bugs), so not everyone will receive one right away.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by Destro
high rated
Hi everyone,

we've released the 0.7 version a couple of minutes ago, here's the changelog:

- Back/Forward navigation in the Store section
- Import Folder - it is now possible to import a game which is not compatible with the client, by clicking the game in the Library section and choosing ‘Import Folder’ from the More dropdown
- Startup page option - it is now possible to decide if the client should start on LIBRARY page, STORE page, or continue previous session
- Search option - you can press enter in the search field to continue searching in the Store
- Option to Show Game Folder added to MORE menu
- New sidebar sorting options (sort by name)
- External links will now be forwarded to the system browser
- Wishlist option added to the LIBRARY menu
- Community option in the STORE menu
- Forum Replies option in the ACCOUNT menu
- Option to keep saves, when uninstalling a game
- Windows: starting the client when another instance is already running should now open the running instance (rather than displaying error message)
- Improved ‘Last Played’ information, which should now show the time of the user stopped playing the game, rather than started playing the game
- Fixed uninstallation issues on Windows
- Fixed an issue which prevented using Paypal, when buying a game
- Fixed an issue which prevented from displaying Terms and Agreements when registering new account
- Fixed some issues when installing and uninstalling DLCs
- Bugfix: client will now not allow dragging elements onto its window
- Fixed memory leaks, causing to crash the application when downloading lots of games
- Fixed a bug which was causing the client to crash on exit
- Fixed an issue, which sometimes caused the client to duplicate the news on game view
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
high rated
HOW TO IMPORT EXISTING GAMES INSTALLATIONS INTO GALAXY

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the "+" button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library, then click the More button and select "Manage" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
stg83: I think your proposed method is definitely still the safer bet especially if there are mods or enhancements installed with a particular game as I am not sure which files exactly are overwritten by Galaxy. As for importing, it would indeed be quite interesting to find out how the process differs from the re-installation.

I have one more game that I would like to test which I have made some enhancements to but I don't know how to find the correct folder name that Galaxy will be creating for it. The game is the first Carmageddon to which I have made some custom configurations and updated the nglide version as well so should be interesting to see whether just renaming and tricking Galaxy into installing would overwrite those files or not. It something gets messed up than your method would be the optimal one for fake installation with Galaxy. :)
I believe Galaxy overwrites only the files it recognizes (so added extra files should be safe) and finds to have different length. Actually, one known difference is that importing and repairing only checks file size, while over-installing seems to actually compare checksums (we had that talk a few pages back; need to review). Also, I believe there are some "protected" files, which Galaxy won't overwrite - usually user config files. Let me check Carmageddon, brb.
Post edited April 17, 2015 by Spinorial
So, the folder name should be "Carmageddon Max Pack"
Post edited April 17, 2015 by Spinorial
Spinorial: So, the folder name should be "Carmageddon Max Pack"
Thanks a lot Spinorial, I really appreciate it, Now I will check with the installation through Galaxy and confirm that it doesn't effect configuration files. :)
As nobody appears to be looking at my case raised on 31 March regarding installs of relatively small games (Theme Park for example) sticking at 99% for 8-9 hours, can somebody explain what might cause this entry on the GalaxyClient log:

2015-04-18 15:17:11:436 [galaxy_client][Information]: FilesSerializer flushing due to 10s elapsed

There is no problem with my internet - we recently upgraded to fibreoptic broadband but this was happening prior to the upgrade and continues to happen now.
LynetteC: As nobody appears to be looking at my case raised on 31 March regarding installs of relatively small games (Theme Park for example) sticking at 99% for 8-9 hours, can somebody explain what might cause this entry on the GalaxyClient log:

2015-04-18 15:17:11:436 [galaxy_client][Information]: FilesSerializer flushing due to 10s elapsed

There is no problem with my internet - we recently upgraded to fibreoptic broadband but this was happening prior to the upgrade and continues to happen now.
It appears to be a normal function galaxy performs every 12 or so seconds while downloading. Admittedly, I don't claim to have any remarkably good internet, but it hasn't indicated a problem, even when it's happened 30 times in a row (I see some pretty large files logged as "all parts downloaded" soon after such cascades). It could, though.

I'll have a look at your log later (if it's on mantis), see if I can deduce what the problem is. I assume most other games install normally?
LynetteC: As nobody appears to be looking at my case raised on 31 March regarding installs of relatively small games (Theme Park for example) sticking at 99% for 8-9 hours, can somebody explain what might cause this entry on the GalaxyClient log:

Spinorial: It appears to be a normal function galaxy performs every 12 or so seconds while downloading. Admittedly, I don't claim to have any remarkably good internet, but it hasn't indicated a problem, even when it's happened 30 times in a row (I see some pretty large files logged as "all parts downloaded" soon after such cascades). It could, though.

I'll have a look at your log later (if it's on mantis), see if I can deduce what the problem is. I assume most other games install normally?
Thanks Spinorial.

I zipped the entire contents of my log folder on Tuesday morning and uploaded it in the hopes it might generate an alert to remind somebody that the issue has been reported!

My mantis log.

I've had problems installing several games that I've never had installed before:
Return to Krondor
Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
Ultima 9
Theme Park

and a couple that are already installed that I'm trying to import using your instructions from a couple of pages back as they are not being picked up when I scan the game install folder:

Ether One
Alan Wake

One problem I haven't reported yet as I only found it this afternoon is that The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which imported fine using the new scan feature, now wants to update by downloading a 9Gb file! I cancelled it and will try again sometime tomorrow to see if the problem still exists.
LynetteC: I zipped the entire contents of my log folder on Tuesday morning and uploaded it in the hopes it might generate an alert to remind somebody that the issue has been reported!

One problem I haven't reported yet as I only found it this afternoon is that The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which imported fine using the new scan feature, now wants to update by downloading a 9Gb file! I cancelled it and will try again sometime tomorrow to see if the problem still exists.
So, having looked through the logs a bit I can say at least two of the problems - RtK and ThemePark - appear to be request time-outs. There is a chance that it was your connection that crapped out, but if you can confirm that it was working fine at the time, the problem must be squarely on GOG's servers.

Have you tried installing these again?

As for the 9 GB download, at present Galaxy doesn't support differential patching. So, if a file on your end is different from the one on its servers, it will simply download the whole thing again, as opposed to just the difference. Possible causes, therefore, are that Galaxy's files are newer than yours, older than yours, or the import was actually faulty and Galaxy can't actually see the game's files. Can't say.
LynetteC: I zipped the entire contents of my log folder on Tuesday morning and uploaded it in the hopes it might generate an alert to remind somebody that the issue has been reported!

My mantis log.

I've had problems installing several games that I've never had installed before:
Return to Krondor
Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
Ultima 9
Theme Park
Just a few ideas to toss around:
- can you reproduce this every time when installing these few games from the scratch or is it random?
- is the installation fast and stable until it hits 99% or does it occasionally pause?
- have you tried downloading with a smaller number of threads (decrease do 2 or 1 in the app settings and retry)?
- what kind of internet connection do you have and how stable is it? also can you try pinging 100 times cdn.gog.com and let me know if you had any timeouts? also please post results of tracert to the same domain.
- do you have an option to perform the test on different computer and on different network connection?

LynetteC: One problem I haven't reported yet as I only found it this afternoon is that The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which imported fine using the new scan feature, now wants to update by downloading a 9Gb file! I cancelled it and will try again sometime tomorrow to see if the problem still exists.
Although it's possible that all files weren't properly imported, most likely it is technically not a bug. Such situation can happen if the game installer is either very different from the latest version in GOG Galaxy Content System or if the game is built in a way that game assets are packaged into bigger containers, meaning even a tiny change results in change of the entire container (this happens often with Unity games I believe). Obviously this is something we can tackle much better than we do now and we do plan to improve it down the road.
Post edited April 19, 2015 by Destro
LynetteC:
Spinorial: So, having looked through the logs a bit I can say at least two of the problems - RtK and ThemePark - appear to be request time-outs. There is a chance that it was your connection that crapped out, but if you can confirm that it was working fine at the time, the problem must be squarely on GOG's servers.

Have you tried installing these again?

As for the 9 GB download, at present Galaxy doesn't support differential patching. So, if a file on your end is different from the one on its servers, it will simply download the whole thing again, as opposed to just the difference. Possible causes, therefore, are that Galaxy's files are newer than yours, older than yours, or the import was actually faulty and Galaxy can't actually see the game's files. Can't say.
Thanks for the feedback Spinorial.

I've downloaded this Internet Connectivity Monitor to see if it's my internet connection dropping out or GOG's servers that are the problem when I'm installing, particularly smaller games like Theme Park.

The funny thing about Ethan Carter is that it was the only pre-installed game that the new import scanner picked up but when I tried to install the latest patch it turns out the base game wasn't up to date either. Turns out I had the up to date installer and patch downloaded via the GOG downloader but hadn't installed them.

Return to Krondor and Theme Park are also pre-downloaded via the GOG downloader as I back up all my games on purchase, so it would appear that Galaxy isn't looking for existing downloads in the library, even though I've got it pointing to my download folder.

To GOG: Am I to understand then that every game I've installed via Galaxy has been completely re-downloaded even though the installer exists under the default text-named folder in my download library rather than the new Galaxy number code? That's a hell of a lot of bandwidth which luckily I'm not short of but I know other people here are.
Not sure if this has been reported yet but I noticed with pillars of eternity - Royal Edition that looking at the DLC's for it , I notice quite a lot of repeats as shown by the screenshot.

Wasn't sure if this was a bug or feature so I thought I would report it.
Attachments:
bug.jpg (266 Kb)
LynetteC: To GOG: Am I to understand then that every game I've installed via Galaxy has been completely re-downloaded even though the installer exists under the default text-named folder in my download library rather than the new Galaxy number code? That's a hell of a lot of bandwidth which luckily I'm not short of but I know other people here are.
The main flow is to indeed 1-click install any game using the Client. Keep in mind that by installing I don't mean downloading installer and running it - Galaxy downloads games in pre-installed form, for the sake of fast and automated updating.

But we've also thought of people who have installers present and prepared two fallbacks to import existing game installations into the Galaxy Client:

Fallback 1. From version 0.6 you already have an option to ask Client to perform a scan within a selected folder for existing installations of GOG games. This will however detect only games installed with newer installers (created from sometime in 2014 I believe) as there must be a specific manifest file present in the installation

If you have installations made with older installers, then:

Fallback 2. Soon (likely from the next version) you will be additionally able to select game from your Library section in the Client and link it to any folder on your disk with the game installation.
LynetteC:
Destro: Just a few ideas to toss around:
- can you reproduce this every time when installing these few games from the scratch or is it random?
- is the installation fast and stable until it hits 99% or does it occasionally pause?
- have you tried downloading with a smaller number of threads (decrease do 2 or 1 in the app settings and retry)?
- what kind of internet connection do you have and how stable is it? also can you try pinging 100 times cdn.gog.com and let me know if you had any timeouts? also please post results of tracert to the same domain.
- do you have an option to perform the test on different computer and on different network connection?
Thanks for responding Destro.

Yes, this problem occurs every time I try to install these games and yes, everything proceeds fast and smoothly right up to the 99% mark, where it abruptly halts. With Return to Krondor, I left it at 99% at 8.30am one morning before I left for work and when I got home at 6.45pm it was still sitting there at 99%!

My ping timed out once in the first 100, so I went with best of three and there were no timeouts the second run and one timeout again on the third.

My tracert results:
1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 5 ms 2 ms 1 ms 10.55.200.44
3 4 ms 4 ms 5 ms 10.55.201.105
4 4 ms 7 ms 3 ms 10.55.201.205
5 9 ms 14 ms 10 ms 81.25.207.101
6 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 83.231.235.210
7 9 ms 12 ms 9 ms 93.184.221.131

I'm on fibreoptic broadband, but it's a fairly new install (13 March) and has only just come into our area so I wouldn't rule out a problem at my end yet. :-)

I've reduced the threads to 2 in the client and am currently installing Return to Krondor, so will let you know if it works.

I can run ping and tracert from my daughter's laptop (if I can prise it out of her hands long enough to do so!) but another network may be a little more tricky. I'll post the results of those tests later.

LynetteC:
Destro: Although it's possible that all files weren't properly imported, most likely it is technically not a bug. Such situation can happen if the game installer is either very different from the latest version in GOG Galaxy Content System or if the game is built in a way that game assets are packaged into bigger containers, meaning even a tiny change results in change of the entire container (this happens often with Unity games I believe). Obviously this is something we can tackle much better than we do now and we do plan to improve it down the road.
As far as Ethan Carter goes, I've manually installed both the latest base game and the latest patch but Galaxy is STILL trying to download a 9-10Gb update!

Surprise of the day is that Ether One is now showing as an offline game in the client! Not sure if that's the result of a very long re-install but it's there now so I'm happy. :-)

LynetteC:
Destro: The main flow is to indeed 1-click install any game using the Client. Keep in mind that by installing I don't mean downloading installer and running it - Galaxy downloads games in pre-installed form, for the sake of fast and automated updating.

But we've also thought of people who have installers present and prepared two fallbacks to import existing game installations into the Galaxy Client:

Fallback 1. From version 0.6 you already have an option to ask Client to perform a scan within a selected folder for existing installations of GOG games. This will however detect only games installed with newer installers (created from sometime in 2014 I believe) as there must be a specific manifest file present in the installation

If you have installations made with older installers, then:

Fallback 2. Soon (likely from the next version) you will be additionally able to select game from your Library section in the Client and link it to any folder on your disk with the game installation.
Thanks again Destro. :-)

So for both Fallbacks, I would have to manually install the game first and then import it into Galaxy if I don't want to redownload the whole monster sized game again? (Witcher/Witcher 2 for example)

Will there be a way in the future to point Galaxy to an existing install file and get it to run and import all in one go?

I have just short of 400 games backed up on my external hard drive. If I'm going to use Galaxy, it would make more sense just to point it at an installer for a game I've already downloaded and click 'Go' rather than have to locate it on my hard drive in Windows Explorer, run the installer manually and then import it myslef before I can access it.
Post edited April 19, 2015 by LynetteC
LynetteC: snip
Thanks for all the responses. Your connection looks good to be honest. We will look more into it, but we don't have any solid idea for now. Would be great if you could add contents from your post into the mantis ticket.

LynetteC: I can run ping and tracert from my daughter's laptop (if I can prise it out of her hands long enough to do so!) but another network may be a little more tricky. I'll post the results of those tests later.
Sorry for not being clear enough here - what I meant was to try installing game that you have such troubles with (like mentioned Theme Park, as its a fairly small one) using another computer :)
LynetteC: snip
Destro: Thanks for all the responses. Your connection looks good to be honest. We will look more into it, but we don't have any solid idea for now. Would be great if you could add contents from your post into the mantis ticket.

LynetteC: I can run ping and tracert from my daughter's laptop (if I can prise it out of her hands long enough to do so!) but another network may be a little more tricky. I'll post the results of those tests later.
Destro: Sorry for not being clear enough here - what I meant was to try installing game that you have such troubles with (like mentioned Theme Park, as its a fairly small one) using another computer :)
I'll copy and paste wht I've done here over into the mantis log shortly - just got to pop to the shops first.

I'm sure my daughter won't mind me installing Galaxy on her laptop if she gets a copy of Theme Park, but I'm worried that with her having access to my library via the client, my collection may start to increase even more rapidly than it has over the past 14 months! lol
LynetteC: So for both Fallbacks, I would have to manually install the game first and then import it into Galaxy if I don't want to redownload the whole monster sized game again? (Witcher/Witcher 2 for example)
Yes
LynetteC: Will there be a way in the future to point Galaxy to an existing install file and get it to run and import all in one go? I have just short of 400 games backed up on my external hard drive. If I'm going to use Galaxy, it would make more sense just to point it at an installer for a game I've already downloaded and click 'Go' rather than have to locate it on my hard drive in Windows Explorer, run the installer manually and then import it myslef before I can access it.
We don't have anything like that planned at this point - for now focus on delivering core features, sorry.
LynetteC: I'm sure my daughter won't mind me installing Galaxy on her laptop if she gets a copy of Theme Park, but I'm worried that with her having access to my library via the client, my collection may start to increase even more rapidly than it has over the past 14 months! lol
You can always log out and uninstall the Client after the test ;)