It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I too don't want Galaxy to become mandatory. It would be catastrophic for me if it did, since it doesn't even run on my pc. You can probably imagine how I would react if I suddenly couldn't access my library anymore...

Lifthrasil: Not really. GOG promised a lot of things in the past. Even with promotional videos.
-Only complete games (no DLC nonsense)
-Free extras
-No regional pricing
-No region locking
-completely optional Galaxy (it isn't for many multiplayer games)
Wasn't trying to imply that you should trust everything they say; sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm well aware of the many 'principles' they abandoned. Which is why I don't see how 5k votes on the whishlist would be enough of a deterrent for them.
The core of the matter is: is Gog going to keep Galaxy optional? We got an official reply in this very thread, and the answer, once again, was "yes". Whether this wish gets restored or not is not going to change their policy.

Lifthrasil: So promises and statements don't mean much. Or in other words: GOGs promises only count as much as we as a userbase make them count. If the outrage is big enough when GOG tries to break a promise, GOG will row back. (example: forced Galaxy downloads).
I just don't think we can do much about that. Sorry. They didn't back off from regional prices (or any of the other things you listed above) which caused a MUCH bigger ruckus than the ninja-bundling of Galaxy in the installers. Why? Because financially it made sense for them. It allowed them to grow, expand their catalog, and gain ground in the DD market. Gog is not a democracy and the management does what they think is best for the company. If they ever conclude that making Galaxy mandatory is the right way to go, that's exactly what they will do, and 5k, 10k or even 20k votes on the whishlist ain't going to do squat.

But then again, I don't see the danger of such a thing happening anytime soon. First and foremost because Galaxy is still not ready. It doesn't even work on Linux yet, so unless they plan to cut off a few thousand customers from their libraries - and I don't think they could withstand the backlash - it will necessarily remain optional until they can finally publish stable builds for all supported OS.
I bet it'll take them at least a few years to get to that point, but even if they get there, what exactly is the advantage of making the client mandatory? It'll effectively turn Gog into a poor man's Steam with... a much smaller game catalog and less features? Sorry, but for the time being I don't see any reason to doubt what Elcook said.
Not being able to restore this wish is so symbolic....
Trilarion: Not being able to restore this wish is so symbolic....

...because it's optional.
Post edited January 25, 2018 by Klumpen0815
Trilarion: Not being able to restore this wish is so symbolic....
Klumpen0815:

...because it's optional.

(WE HAVE COOKIES!)
Post edited January 25, 2018 by Lemon_Curry
Well, it's time to give up on this matter. I think it has been proven that GOG simply doesn't care.
Nevertheless. thank you elcook for your responding and bugging attempts towards your collegues.
Also thanks to all the thousands of voters for my wish that care for true DRM free gaming!
GOG has definitely been successful in burying this with apathy. They ignored it long enough for it to die.

The optional client strikes again.

And again and again and again.
yogsloth: GOG has definitely been successful in burying this with apathy.
Their go-to method of "fixing" things. They are using it to deal with the "option to set classic installers as default" promise too.
Are you talking about fixing things?
Attachments:
forum.jpg (228 Kb)
what the hell happened in here?!
russellskanne: Well, it's time to give up on this matter. I think it has been proven that GOG simply doesn't care.
Nevertheless. thank you elcook for your responding and bugging attempts towards your collegues.
Also thanks to all the thousands of voters for my wish that care for true DRM free gaming!
You should make a new wish called „Restore my deleted wish“. I would vote for it.

One thing I can‘t agree with you is elcook. For me, he is just as responsible for doing nothing as the rest of GOG is, because he is part of the „we don‘t care GOG family“ and I see his answers here (and in other threads) just as trying to cover up for GOGs failure (and in a pathetic way I like to add).
Klumpen broke some shit up in here.
Ooookay. This is ironic. A thread about a broken feature is itself now broken. :-)
WTF have they done to this thread!?

It won't even let me upload a jpg of the mess this site is in lol.

https://i.imgur.com/zIPWlWt.jpg
Post edited January 30, 2018 by fishbaits
GOG's promise is not trustworthy.
GOG is not trustworthy.
high rated
russellskanne: snip
Just wanted to drop by to say the request for GOG Galaxy to be optional till the end of days in the Community Wishlist is back. We hope we managed to retrieve most (if not all) votes and comments there.

kbnrylaec: GOG's promise is not trustworthy.
GOG is not trustworthy.
Yeh, well. Thanks for support? :/