It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Redeem 17 Steam games DRM-free | Check out 300+ deals up to -90%!

Have you heard? School is (finally) back in session! And so is <span class="bold">GOG Connect</span>, in time for the 2016 GOG.com Back to School Sale. All in all, it's great games up to 90% off, new game collections and deals added every day, as well as 17 titles to grow your DRM-free library with GOG Connect.

No need for long faces - after all going back to school is a wonderful opportunity to learn new things, make new friends, and even expand your gaming horizons during these cold after-school evenings. This year's curriculum consists of 300+ deals up to 90% off, starting with Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition, Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition, and more.

And hey, we did some of the homework for you! Check out our neat game collections: hand-picked selections of series and similar titles we think you'll really enjoy. Whether you grab an entire collection or otherwise, you'll still get the highest available discounts normally reserved for entire bundles only.

New games and collections will be added every day at 10 AM UTC — so check back and look out for more deals. Once added to the Sale, the deals will stick around until its end.

GOG Connect is back — connect your Steam account and add eligible games to your GOG.com library for free. The June premiere of <span class="bold">GOG Connect</span> was a resounding success and we're now happy to announce the second major batch of 17 GOG Connect titles, including:

[i]Hotline Miami
X Rebirth
Anno 1404
Dex
Shadow Warrior 2013[/i]
and more!

Just like last time, these are limited-time offers made possible by our awesome partners!

If you're looking for a place to hang out and discuss which games you picked, how much homework you've got, or the titles you Connected, make sure to stop by our <span class="bold">Facebook event</span>. All the cool kids will be there.

The Back to School Sale will last until Sunday, October 2, 9:59 PM UTC.
Post edited September 26, 2016 by maladr0Id
Pherim: [...]
One thing that slightly bothers me in Anno 1701 A.D. (the only one I've tried so far) is that islands are always placed on the exact same spots on each and every map and that the total number of islands remains a constant. Do any of the other games in the series offer more variety in this area?
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Lemon_Curry
Pherim: [...]
Lemon_Curry: One thing that slightly bothers me in Anno 1701 A.D. (the only one I've tried so far) is that islands are always placed on the exact same spots on each and every map and that the total number of islands remains a constant. Do any of the other games in the series offer more variety in this area?
Yes, they do, and again, 1503 may be the best in this regard. For once, in contrast to 1602 and 1701 there are five different climate zones (from arctic to desert) instead of just north and south. They are placed in a manner that makes sense climatically, but there is still a lot of variety in my opinion. I agree that this is one point where 1701 is definitely inferior.
Also, maps in 1503 are gigantic, which is great on the one hand, but on the other you barely ever have problems finding the resources you need, which certainly is different in 1602 and 1701, where the smaller number of islands often makes it necessary to conquer islands from your opponents in order to get everything you need. In 1503 I never colonized the entire map because it was not necessary and would have taken too much time. So in terms of competition for resources and land, 1503 might actually be the weakest of the three, but that may be just my opinion.
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Pherim
Sweet Sale!

Picked up:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Clive Barker's - The Undying
Doom II + Ultimate Doom
Quake
Quake II
Shadowman
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Star Trek Judgement Rites
Star Trek Academy
Star Trek Star Fleet Command
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Olddarth
skeletonbow: Awesome, thanks for such a detailed writeup! That definitely tilts me more in the direction of picking it up, although I think I may wait until the last day of the sale to make any additional purchases. It does sound like my type of game, as does the rest of the series from what you've said.
You are welcome. Be aware though that it may have problems with Windows 10. My retail version certainly has them... it only runs in windowed mode when set to XP compatibility and 16bit colors. Windows 8 is even worse, as I have heard. I don't know if there is any difference with the gog version.
Pherim: You are welcome. Be aware though that it may have problems with Windows 10. My retail version certainly has them... it only runs in windowed mode when set to XP compatibility and 16bit colors. Windows 8 is even worse, as I have heard. I don't know if there is any difference with the gog version.
Windows 10 will not ever exist within my household so not an issue for me, but thanks for he info nonetheless. :)
Does anyone know how long this GOG connect session lasts? Shall it last until the sale is over?
Ok, I have a new problem now... I need to find at least one more game to buy from the current promo because...

I am about to buy a game from GOG, but from within the Steam client by subverting the Steam storefront and redirecting it to the GOG storefront just for a laugh. LOL
Does the game-play differ between the Men of War games or is it the same and only the locations are different?

I have Men of War. I like the graphics, the setting and the camera control. But I do not like the unit control. It's complicated and confusing. My units often do what they want and not what they are supposed to do.

Is it worth to give any other game from the Men of War series a second chance? Or are these games too similar?

Edit: And I forgot, to make it worse, you cannot give orders when the game is paused. Is that fixed in any other Men of War game?
Post edited October 02, 2016 by eiii
eiii: Edit: And I forgot, to make it worse, you cannot give orders when the game is paused. Is that fixed in any other Men of War game?
Are you sure about this?

While it's not on sale at the moment have you ever given Soldiers: Heroes of World War II a try? It lacks the "close up" feel of Men of War, and some of the gorgeous visuals, but it's still plenty pretty. And the gameplay feels a bit more "tactical" and closer to what you're looking for.

Though I think the game still highly rewards (and requires!) you to set up lines, but then jump in the shoes of one of your guys. They're just far more effective when you do the action gameplay.

Sorry I don't have a solid answer for your question though :(
dr.schliemann: Does anyone know how long this GOG connect session lasts? Shall it last until the sale is over?
I can't check, but think it'll end any time now.
dr.schliemann: Does anyone know how long this GOG connect session lasts? Shall it last until the sale is over?
As of the beginning of this hour (around 13 minutes ago, currently), there's about 21 hours left in the Connect offer -- so, yes, it's set to end at the same time as the sale does.
GOG.com: If you're looking for a place to hang out and discuss which games you picked, how much homework you've got, or the titles you Connected, make sure to stop by our <span class="bold">Facebook event</span>. All the cool kids will be there.
Wait...I just now noticed this part.
Who the heck actually goes to Facebook anymore? O_o
And furthermore, why would anybody want to talk about it all there when there's a perfectly good forum for that sort of thing right here?
Stooner:
HunchBluntley:
Thank you, guys.
zeogold: Wait...I just now noticed this part.
And furthermore, why would anybody want to talk about it all there when there's a perfectly good forum for that sort of thing right here?
Yeah, but by migrating customer community stuff and GOG support from the website onto Facebook they can directly engage via social networking dynamics at the same time they offload the overhead of maintaining the forums and push it to Facebook. Instead of fixing the forums etc. they can just move all the forums to Facebook Groups over the next year, then shut the forums down. They just need to do a couple of Woobox promotions of free games to get everyone on board.
zeogold: Wait...I just now noticed this part.
skeletonbow: Yeah, but by migrating customer community stuff and GOG support from the website onto Facebook they can directly engage via social networking dynamics at the same time they offload the overhead of maintaining the forums and push it to Facebook. Instead of fixing the forums etc. they can just move all the forums to Facebook Groups over the next year, then shut the forums down. They just need to do a couple of Woobox promotions of free games to get everyone on board.
That's also kind of what I was thinking, but I was trying to avoid the whole paranoia sound of that.