It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Assassins Creed day @ Steam

Though oddly enough the Assassins Creed Franchise Pack says its $64.99 but if you buy them individually its $56.93....dafuq Steam?
Post edited March 17, 2013 by StonerMk2
StonerMk2: Assassins Creed day @ Steam

Though oddly enough the Assassins Creed Franchise Pack says its $64.99 but if you buy them individually its $56.93....dafuq Steam?
Assassin's Creed Franchise Pack without the Assassin’s Creed III Season Pass ?

ne_zavarj: Assassin's Creed Franchise Pack without the Assassin’s Creed III Season Pass ?
Yeah theres no Season Pass lol...they've only done one DLC for that game havent they? The Tyrant King or something like that?

It's a result of the different discount rates. The games each are between 50% and 75% off, while the pack is only 33% off, causing this odd disrepancy.
keeveek: And yeah, you're right - it seems just like they are fine with their current position, because they don't seem to evolve for over a decade.
Actually most "wargames" are still Spreadsheet Wars lookalikes from the Windows 3.1 era. That was 2 decades ago. :O Even the Combat Mission guys are stuck in 2000.

So i was randomly searching the net for Graviteam stuff, and i found a neat blog, and an interesting post:The High Cost of Wargaming
Then someone linked Jeff Vogels classic Indie Games Should Cost More post in the comment section. Wow, that was a blast from the past. Vogel argued that niche games should maintain a high price level to be profitable.
That man now sells his formerly 25-30$ games on Steam for 5-10 dollars, has included them in 5 dollar indie bundles several times, and probably makes more money than he ever did with those higher prices. And at the same time significantly more people are able to enjoy them, and what do you know, even casual players love them, his niche games actually succeed alongside mainstream titles.
Hell their latest RPG Avernum: Escape From The Pit is on sale at GMG for 4€/5$

Graviteam also offered a discount on their great semi hardcore strategy game at GG, and as far as i know, it was a success, and we can expect further sales on their titles, because it actually pays to have discounts once in a while. But then its in Graviteams best interest to get the Operation Star base game to as many players possible, since they will be releasing several expansions as Operation Star "DLC", like Operation Hooper set in the exotic South African Border War.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-hitman-absolution-video-game

Hitman: Absolution for Xbox 360 or PS3 $18.99
p_mamusz: snip
This is so true. Creator of Avernum saga understood that lower prices / bigger sales are beneficial to him, and now he has more than enough money to continue developing his games, to create new ones, to expand.

And most importantly, he reached to a broader audience - something that is very important to every creator, I think.

But as I've wrote today on AGEOD forums - their gaems are niche not because they are "hardcore", but because they are unwilling to evolve (the devs don't evolve, not the games).

It wouldn't be such big problem for me, if not for the fact such games are hardly avaible on "alternate sources of video games" :P

Maybe after few more years they will finally understand that it's better to earn 5EUR on keeveek than 0 ;_;

Oh, and I read the link you gave me. So, Matrix DD offers downloading for 30 days only and then stops? 1990s indeed...
Post edited March 17, 2013 by keeveek
Did they pull the KOA deal early off steam?. By my calculations when i checked last night it should have still be up for another 1-2 hours or so :/
nijuu: Did they pull the KOA deal early off steam?. By my calculations when i checked last night it should have still be up for another 1-2 hours or so :/
No? It was a daily deal, which always change at 1PM EST (so two and a half hours ago).
keeveek: Maybe after few more years they will finally understand that it's better to earn 5EUR on keeveek than 0 ;_;

Oh, and I read the link you gave me. So, Matrix DD offers downloading for 30 days only and then stops? 1990s indeed...
Is that a subtle hint that you want them to offer games at basement bargain cheapass prices eh?.

nijuu: Did they pull the KOA deal early off steam?. By my calculations when i checked last night it should have still be up for another 1-2 hours or so :/
PenutBrittle: No? It was a daily deal, which always change at 1PM EST (so two and a half hours ago).
Seems odd. I swear i had my times right. Oh well.
Post edited March 17, 2013 by nijuu
PenutBrittle: No? It was a daily deal, which always change at 1PM EST (so two and a half hours ago).
nijuu: Seems odd. I swear i had my times right. Oh well.
Did you account for DST (active in the US since last weekend)?
nijuu: Seems odd. I swear i had my times right. Oh well.
Psyringe: Did you account for DST (active in the US since last weekend)?
Well, i last checked the counter 14 hours to go then added it to my time and worked outwhen it was due to finish. Maybe i miscalculated :)
keeveek: Oh, and I read the link you gave me. So, Matrix DD offers downloading for 30 days only and then stops? 1990s indeed...
"If you bought the game from our new Plimus store:
Our new store supports unlimited re-downloads. However, your download link will only be available for a limited number of download attempts or a certain amount of time. If you need to download your game again and your download link is expired please contact our Help Desk or contact support@plimus.com and we will be happy to reactivate your download for you.

If you bought the game from our old Digital River store (purchases older than 11/18/2010):
You will no longer be able to download your purchase from Digital River as the maximum extended download warranty they offer is 2 years." They say maximum, but the default option was 30 day download limit, 2 year limit increase cost about 20$ extra. Both vanilla DR and Plimus that they now use offers 3rd world quality compared to GOG, GamersGate, or Steam.

keeveek: But as I've wrote today on AGEOD forums - their gaems are niche not because they are "hardcore", but because they are unwilling to evolve (the devs don't evolve, not the games).
I see what you did there.

Yeah its ugly stuff. They really think only a handful of people are interested in their games, so they price them accordingly. And those loyal fans really think its the right way to go.
"Bravo Ageod! Pocus, you and Slitherine and Matrix made the right choice. Blessings on all of you. It takes great courage to say no to steam, and to support the long term viability of your great games.
Once again, you show the integrity and decency that is so much a part of Ageod. Thank you. I am so grateful."

"Compared to those days an AGEOD game with several scenario's at $25 is real bargain.
Real wargames have always been a niche (or elite, as we like to call it ) market, where a large volume policy of selling for $2 just doesn't work."
So the leet devs will continue to make leet stuff on the same leet game engine for their loyal leet customers. All 200 of them.

keeveek: It wouldn't be such big problem for me, if not for the fact such games are hardly avaible on alternate sources of video games :P
Theres no better DRM than "even pirates dont give a damn" :D Though the bigger wargames are there.

keeveek: Maybe after few more years they will finally understand that it's better to earn 5EUR on keeveek than 0 ;_;
They wont. These are games that are made by a handful of people, with a (currently) limited audience. They fear if they go for the bigger crowds they cant reach them but loose their fanboys in the process. So they continue to make complicated games with limited assets. And the world goes on.

nijuu: Is that a subtle hint that you want them to offer games at basement bargain cheapass prices eh?.
Paradox was stretching it with the 1$ sales, sure.(and keeveek loved it :D) But they are actually plan to have release prices till the end of days.
keeveek: But as I've wrote today on AGEOD forums - their gaems are niche not because they are "hardcore", but because they are unwilling to evolve (the devs don't evolve, not the games).
Thought about this. My guess is they make enough for themselves to be happy with. And they maintain control over whats sold, how many and for how much. If they opened up and went on Steam you would have everyone whinging about the price and expecting cheaper prices and deals. As big as Steam is, there is never a guarantee they would make money from them (god knows how much of a cut they get now from games) or via other digital stores especially with the way people expect steam and other dd stores to massively discount games once they are out the door .

p_mamusz: They wont. These are games that are made by a handful of people, with a (currently) limited audience. They fear if they go for the bigger crowds they cant reach them but loose their fanboys in the process. So they continue to make complicated games with limited assets. And the world goes on.

nijuu: Is that a subtle hint that you want them to offer games at basement bargain cheapass prices eh?.
p_mamusz: Paradox was stretching it with the 1$ sales, sure.(and keeveek loved it :D) But they are actually plan to have release prices till the end of days.
Nothing wrong with a complicated game. Lot of mainstream games especially the ported from console games could do with a more complexity - lots of games have either been dumbed down or made from ground up to appeal to broad audience (for better or worse).

Killing floor is the daily deal today on Steam $4.99 USD 75% off :P
Post edited March 17, 2013 by nijuu
p_mamusz: They wont. These are games that are made by a handful of people, with a (currently) limited audience. They fear if they go for the bigger crowds they cant reach them but loose their fanboys in the process. So they continue to make complicated games with limited assets. And the world goes on.
That might be the problem... Their elitist fanboys, who think they are so unique people, because they enjoy the "hardcore wargaming". They can't let themselves think that many people would like to play such games - their elite hobby!

So you might be right. If they offered lower prices, their fanbase would be all like "noooo, you are letting the pleb here, I am not going to buy any more games from you!"

But I still wonder how they manage to pay their bills with said "200 fans".

p_mamusz: Paradox was stretching it with the 1$ sales, sure.(and keeveek loved it :D) But they are actually plan to have release prices till the end of days.
Let's not go to the extremes here :P I am not saying they should sell their games for a dollar. But at the same time, offering a 5 year old game for a full price of 20 EUR without even a chance to see it discounted is like the stupidest marketing approach I have ever heard of.

But if not for that deep discount on Birth of America 1 on steam one time, I would never discover their games. Hardly anybody is willing to risk 20 EUR on a game that looks like it was made in the 90s and is called "hardcore".
Post edited March 18, 2013 by keeveek