It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hawk52: Personally, I tried very, very hard to like the new X-Com but I just couldn't. After seventeen hours, trying mods, etc, etc, I finally gave up.

The game wants to be tactical but it likes to cheat and luck-screw you. It wants to have a dynamic world, but the focus is incredibly narrow. It wants to feel like an open game experience, but you're actually pushed in one direction with little option to change the flow of the game.

The worst crime a strategy game (or tactical in this case, whatever) can have is to just flat out cheat the player. X-Com does this.

Add in 2K's DLC policy, and their backtracking on modding support (including making X-Com "phone home" overwriting any mods you've installed everytime you launch Steam), and it left me with a really bitter taste in my mouth.
orcishgamer: I didn't buy the Slingshot DLC because it hasn't been on sale yet and 6 bucks sounds expensive just going by the content description. What is 2Ks bad DLC policy?

Didn't know about the mod thing, that sucks. Didn't try to mod it myself.
Basically that. All that DLC adds is some missions against human enemies and a person for the team.

Not even getting into that X-Com is an organization to fight aliens not humans (rage~!), it's a really pointless DLC add-on trying to mine gamers.

Not to mention having to pay 4.99 extra to be able to recolor your soldiers. Unless you preordered, of course.
Hawk52: Not to mention having to pay 4.99 extra to be able to recolor your soldiers. Unless you preordered, of course.
I pre-ordered, I've never used them but isn't it also "super powered" soldiers as well (for the pre-order DLC)? They disable achievements if you use them in that save game.
Hawk52: Not to mention having to pay 4.99 extra to be able to recolor your soldiers. Unless you preordered, of course.
orcishgamer: I pre-ordered, I've never used them but isn't it also "super powered" soldiers as well (for the pre-order DLC)? They disable achievements if you use them in that save game.
If that was a preorder DLC, I don't think they've released it for sale.

IMO, the recolor DLC is pretty much essential. I thought it was just flavor, but if you don't recolor your guys, you pretty much just end up with nameless grey blocks that I couldn't have cared less about.
Thanks for the info guys - looks like I'll be waiting for a sale after all.
On the other hand, I could get it for 30 quid from Gamefly. I'm currently living on the continent so its 60 euros here.
Hawk52: Personally, I tried very, very hard to like the new X-Com but I just couldn't. After seventeen hours, trying mods, etc, etc, I finally gave up.

The game wants to be tactical but it likes to cheat and luck-screw you. It wants to have a dynamic world, but the focus is incredibly narrow. It wants to feel like an open game experience, but you're actually pushed in one direction with little option to change the flow of the game.

The worst crime a strategy game (or tactical in this case, whatever) can have is to just flat out cheat the player. X-Com does this.

Add in 2K's DLC policy, and their backtracking on modding support (including making X-Com "phone home" overwriting any mods you've installed everytime you launch Steam), and it left me with a really bitter taste in my mouth.
orcishgamer: I didn't buy the Slingshot DLC because it hasn't been on sale yet and 6 bucks sounds expensive just going by the content description. What is 2Ks bad DLC policy?

I could be very wrong but i think Slingshot DLC was on sale on GMG for a short time on release. Was told it wasnt worth it either (i pre ordered the main game and gave up after a few goes. couldnt get into it whereas the old games i loved to bits).
Hawk52: The worst crime a strategy game (or tactical in this case, whatever) can have is to just flat out cheat the player. X-Com does this.
If you mean the enemies, they only start getting bonus to hit and crit and the like on levels above Normal.

Personally I enjoyed the game a lot, though it certainly could have been better in some areas. Slingshot DLC hasn't enticed me at all for what it apparently gives you.
*New* week long deals on steam... Damn Valve...

This week up to 75%:
Flatout
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
Alpha Prime
Karateka
Post edited February 12, 2013 by Stooner
Stooner: Karateka
First time I hear about it...
*checks out the screenshots*
Uh... I'd rather have the original.
Stooner: Karateka
grviper: First time I hear about it...
But it looks fun.. and also not a button masher..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMS3URNw68
grviper: First time I hear about it...
Stooner: But it looks fun.. and also not a button masher..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMS3URNw68
If this is somehow like the iPad version it's nice for an hour or 2 to kill the time,... for $1
No THAT great of remake, with more simplistic controls.
Same entertainment span you can expect from Alpha Prime and Flatout.
While you are NOT missing anything by skipping Alpha Prime.
Steel Storm is the only game with some longterm value at least until the game ends.

Today GG offer is

Alpha Protocol
$3 , DRM FRee
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALP/alpha-protocol?caff=1869351
Yay, finally replaced my boxed copy that I sold with all the rest. Thanks for that.

Also, amusing that paypal payments requires an account now. Good way to make sure I never use that service again.
StingingVelvet: Yay, finally replaced my boxed copy that I sold with all the rest. Thanks for that.

Also, amusing that paypal payments requires an account now. Good way to make sure I never use that service again.
To buy AP is a hard decision, because good story meets bad unpolished execution and there are some better alternatives (Deus Ex 3 or maybe Binary Domain). I woud give it a shot if there would have been at least one god fanpatch or mod.
http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/darkout $11.99

Same game is $14.99 on Desura

Decided to post this because it actually looks quite interesting to me . :)
Post edited February 12, 2013 by nijuu
dyscode: Today GG offer is

Alpha Protocol
$3 , DRM FRee
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALP/alpha-protocol?caff=1869351
Is this release multilanguage or english only?

Hawk52: Basically that. All that DLC adds is some missions against human enemies and a person for the team.

Not even getting into that X-Com is an organization to fight aliens not humans (rage~!), it's a really pointless DLC add-on trying to mine gamers.

Not to mention having to pay 4.99 extra to be able to recolor your soldiers. Unless you preordered, of course.
What are you talking about? There are no missions against human enemies.

And in about 100 hours of gameplay I never once got the feeling that the game was cheating. So again, what are you talking about more exactly?