It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Petrell: Could people participating in discussion about Gremlins, Inc., create a topic of it's own for it and discuss it there instead of here. Pretty please with sugar on top. I'll even give you imaginary cookie! *puppy eyes*
While I agree with you in general terms, what did you expect? It's the latest development about a game that was supposed to be coming to GOG, and people are commenting on it. As soon as there's another new game unofficially announced, I'm sure the focus of this thread will shift towards it, but in the meantime it's all about Gremlins Inc. and its devs' ludicrous ideas.
Well...if GOG ever decides to drop the "superstition" and allow games like that, they had better sell a fucking ton to make up for every person who quits buying here as a result.
Lord_Kane: I am probably the only one that cares, but Strife Veteran Edition is confirmed to be coming here pretty soon.

Proof:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1558610

Quasar is the programming guru that helped make the engine for the Turok and Noctropolis ports.

He also made the rendering engine addon to chocolate strife they used for the Veteran Edition, it was promised to come here long ago but apparently there was a technical issue with Galaxy.
rampancy: I'll believe it when I see it. And when it does come, it's going to come without the original version of the game, right?
Holy shit rampancy I am so sorry for replying so late! I never noticed your reply: Sadly yes it will not come with a dosbox version of strife, but strife VE is basically chocolate strife with a new renderer, some gameplay additions, as in some missing content restored and some new stuff added. but you can take the strife.wad and voices1.wad and run it any another source port, it will just be missing the enhancements, there is a SVE.wad that contains the new and supplemental content. You probably know that the source code of strife was lost.
Since there is a sale for Trails in the Sky FC & SC after the announcement of TitS Third, I believe this one will make its way to GOG, early 2017!
Huinehtar: Since there is a sale for Trails in the Sky FC & SC after the announcement of TitS Third, I believe this one will make its way to GOG, early 2017!
Assuming it won't get delayed like SC was.
Huinehtar: Since there is a sale for Trails in the Sky FC & SC after the announcement of TitS Third, I believe this one will make its way to GOG, early 2017!
That is some good news (and I don't meen Good News (TM)). I was wondering why it was on sale with no announcement. I have seen fan translation of some of the cutscenes from TC, and we have a lot to look forward to. Too bad that one character that I was hoping died in the end of SC turns out survived, but can't have everything.
CarrionCrow: Well...if GOG ever decides to drop the "superstition" and allow games like that, they had better sell a fucking ton to make up for every person who quits buying here as a result.
I find it kind of sad that he doesn't find a mandatory internet connection DRM, even for single player, and is prepared to argue with me to no end about it not being DRM. Though I do get where he is coming from, in his mind making it use a client based server (for AI and stuff) is just how the game was designed to save time and money. But at the end of the day it's still a restriction on usage and therefor can be considered DRM.
Post edited March 14, 2016 by BKGaming
CarrionCrow: Well...if GOG ever decides to drop the "superstition" and allow games like that, they had better sell a fucking ton to make up for every person who quits buying here as a result.
BKGaming: I find it kind of sad that he doesn't find a mandatory internet connection DRM, even for single player, and is prepared to argue with me to no end about it not being DRM. Though I do get where he is coming from, in his mind making it use a client based server (for AI and stuff) is just how the game was designed to save time and money. But at the end of the day it's still a restriction on usage and therefor can be considered DRM.
He was arguing that it is the intention of the developers that matters. But as far as we are concerned, we can't know the intention of the devs for certain, and it all looks and acts the same to us anyway.

As for the game, there's nothing stopping them from distributing both the client and the server - there are a number of games which use a client-server model for both single and multiplayer where the single player version just runs both the client and server on the same machine. Unless their code requires a supercomputer to run (not likely) I find it difficult to believe they couldn't have done it with this game as well.
ncameron: He was arguing that it is the intention of the developers that matters. But as far as we are concerned, we can't know the intention of the devs for certain, and it all looks and acts the same to us anyway.
Like I said I get why. Not disagreeing with that.

ncameron: As for the game, there's nothing stopping them from distributing both the client and the server - there are a number of games which use a client-server model for both single and multiplayer where the single player version just runs both the client and server on the same machine. Unless their code requires a supercomputer to run (not likely) I find it difficult to believe they couldn't have done it with this game as well.
Not a game developer and my knowledge of networking is a lot more limited than say programming, so while I have general ideal about such things, I will freely admit I'm not up on the specifics. His reasoning however is it would cost more and take more time to do such and the dev team didn't have when making the game and it's not on the road map to do it now.

Feels a bit like a cop out to me, but meh I wasn't there.
BKGaming: I find it kind of sad that he doesn't find a mandatory internet connection DRM, even for single player, and is prepared to argue with me to no end about it not being DRM. Though I do get where he is coming from, in his mind making it use a client based server (for AI and stuff) is just how the game was designed to save time and money. But at the end of the day it's still a restriction on usage and therefor can be considered DRM.
He seemed to be baiting the fight from the beginning with the superstition comment. If he was surprised that started something then he probably ends up arguing with people on a frequent basis, but I kinda feel like he was wound up for the conversation from the start.

He may have taken offence to trying to have is work smooshed into a DRM box. I don't really care what label he wants to put on it, I'm just not interested in something made that way, and it was a little uncool to unprovokedly call people superstitious for questioning a design decision that is often questioned.

In the past this sort of thing has typically (if not always) been about actual DRM style control, and the creators are never upfront about it why they did it. That makes it pretty easy to just slap DRM on this and call it a valid criticism.
gooberking: He seemed to be baiting the fight from the beginning with the superstition comment. If he was surprised that started something then he probably ends up arguing with people on a frequent basis, but I kinda feel like he was wound up for the conversation from the start.

He may have taken offence to trying to have is work smooshed into a DRM box. I don't really care what label he wants to put on it, I'm just not interested in something made that way, and it was a little uncool to unprovokedly call people superstitious for questioning a design decision that is often questioned.

In the past this sort of thing has typically (if not always) been about actual DRM style control, and the creators are never upfront about it why they did it. That makes it pretty easy to just slap DRM on this and call it a valid criticism.
Yea I wasn't even that focused on the DRM part of the discussion honestly when I originally posted, my only attention was to inform him that A) GOG shouldn't change the requirements to fit a dev's game rather a dev should change their game to fit GOG's requirements, and B) this game wouldn't sell here because the community would largely see it as DRM.

He only seems to care about the DRM debate though and apparently I'm speaking for the gaming community at large, but what do I know... it's not like I don't spend everyday here and know this community can go crazy over stuff like this *cough* Victor Vran *cough*.
Playism Games seem interested in releasing Nightcry on GOG. Here's the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry/posts/1124264/comments

Lots of comments asking for it to be released here and the last post is by the developer.
Siegor: Playism Games seem interested in releasing Nightcry on GOG. Here's the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry/posts/1124264/comments

Lots of comments asking for it to be released here and the last post is by the developer.
It looks like a 3D version of Clock Tower.
I wonder whether the KS commenters have voted here:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/project_scissors_nightcry
seppelfred: It looks like a 3D version of Clock Tower.
Huh. Thems be some big words. Might go take a peek at this one.