It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

gooberking: [...]
How about he just takes our logo down?
[...]
gooberking: Wow, OK. That's pretty insulting all the way around.
I actually responded to him... that was pretty insulting.
vicklemos: edit: for a game that (the cat said to me) won't hit our shores the website surely mentions gog a lot. Same thing for the trailer. And all the other games the dev has worked on are here, so... maybe Galaxy integration or something.. always online.. crap, dunno where to start.
Grargar: They possibly thought that the Galaxy client was required to play GOG games (a perception that some people got with the release of the physical version of Witcher 3), which is why they might have wrongly put GOG as a place where the game will be released. As can be seen from this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/369990/discussions/0/412449508278477740/ , their excuse for wanting always-online is because the game is supposedly multiplayer-only, a claim that I don't particularly buy, as you could always play such a game by LAN. Also, someone else asked them about GOG. Let's see what's their response.

Edit: His answer:

"We won't! GOG does not allow releases of games like ours, that require server-client connection for every session. To me this sounds like a loss for GOG's audience. But it's their platform and their policy. I know that we, like other indies, have only 5 pairs of hands, that we will rather use to add more kick-♥♥♥ features to the existing game, than to create a parallel AI/game mechanic logic in order to allow a part of the game (single-player challenges) to be playable offline.

My bet would be that in 2016 or 2017, we'll see games like Gremlins, Inc. being released on GOG "as is", since we offer the gameplay that GOG's audience will love (Alexey Bokulev's original Eador has 450+ positive reviews there) and there's simply no reason except for superstition, to keep these games from that audience.

Yup. The only reason we don't want always-online games is because of superstition. You heard it right here folks. :D
The developer sounds delusional, maybe as a result of being rejected by GOG. Yeah, buddy, GOG's going to throw away the one real advantage it has over other stores (being exclusively DRM-free) because your game is just that good. What an ego.

EDIT: After reading some of the later posts by the developers in that thread, I am so mad right now. Their arrogance is incredible. They genuinely believe that they are somehow victims in this situation, and that they should be exempt from GOG's most important rule. Unbelievable.
Post edited March 11, 2016 by Marioface5
So am I to infer that there is absolutely NO AI in Gremlins? It's strictly a game where players connect and play other players?

Or is that quote just total BS from the guy?
Grargar: Yup. The only reason we don't want always-online games is because of superstition. You heard it right here folks. :D
omega64: You heard it here first though, GOG will start selling always online games 2016-2017.
YAY!
Oh, wait.
NAY! ;)

Dude, that's our flagship in here. My bro who lives in the middle of the jungle ONLY plays gog games. No internet connection available, "kinda". Always online? Nay. Period.
BKGaming: I actually responded to him... that was pretty insulting.
I made sure to read the whole thread, and having two dev's in there defending the game making up almost 50% of the posts running defense doesn't make me feel like the game has the brightest future.

I also enjoyed this part.

To be honest, I don't really think we're in the business of promising anything for 20 years. We're selling entertainment, we hope that people pay what they pay for a decent bottle of wine ($15 in the US), get 30-50 hours of fun, and at that point anything after that is a big bonus.
We can see the start of the problem right there. Going into things with zero interest in even thinking about longevity. They seem to think the game is really only viable as a multiplayer experience. I don't know how true that is here, but those kind of experiences are valid and worth exploring. That said, that sort of thing tends to be more contrived than actually legitimate. When it is legitimate then people have to want to play today. There is no tomorrow in multiplayer, and such things aren't really useful to game collectors that buy games thinking, "I'll probably get around to it." I can't collect this. It's only for a moment. That may be natural and fine for what this game is, but I can't collect it.

I'm someone that actually has had the opportunity to dig my past out of a box and replay my childhood. It's a pretty damn cool thing to be able to do. It's nifty that we can keep updating games and growing them over time, it makes some really bad ass stuff possible that wasn't a thing 20 years ago, but it also means a lot more of what we have is fleeting. I'm pretty concerned that people today won't have near as many options to flashback as I have had. 20 years seems like a lot of time and till you've lived it, and lots of things last 20 years when you don't deliberately set out to build them in ways that are time fragile.

Anyway. It sounds like they said to would take 50 sales per month to keep up their servers. Even with a 100k in sales out of the gate I'm having a hard time picturing them staying above 50 copies a month 2 or 3 years in. Good luck I guess.
Might be a language issue but they definitely sounds very douchy.

Making an always online multiplayer only game is one thing, and there is nothing "wrong" about that (as long as there is a valid reason for calling the game "multiplayer only"), but it's not an excuse for being a total douche about it.
Found this in my steam inventory:
30% OFF Gremlins, Inc.
Steam
Steam
Coupon
30% off on the title Gremlins, Inc. .

(Valid until 4/1/2016, 8:59:00 AM)
No thanks.
gixgox: Found this in my steam inventory:

30% OFF Gremlins, Inc.
Steam
Steam
Coupon
30% off on the title Gremlins, Inc. .

(Valid until 4/1/2016, 8:59:00 AM)
gixgox: No thanks.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/369990/discussions/0/412449508278303101/

:D
Grargar: Yup. The only reason we don't want always-online games is because of superstition. You heard it right here folks. :D
muntdefems: Again: screw them.
+1. I am not into multiplayer anyway but if I were I wouldn'tr buy from this company because I simply don't like their attitude they expressed on steam. They make games to last for 30-40 hours of fun and don't care about later (all above is a big bonus). As a potential buyer and collector I want to be able to play my games as long as I can. Everybody on GOG which is known to preserve good games will surely understand this.

gooberking: How about he just takes our logo down? The second he gets his game in here "as is" is the second GoG makes itself an irrelevant platform. The only significant reason for us to exist is that we don't accept terminally ill games. That's a pretty good reason beyond superstition to tell him to go take a hike all by itself.
I was wondering if they were even allowed to use the GOG logo at all. They advertize their game using the GOG logo and the GOG wishlist but they still do everything GOG is against.
Post edited March 11, 2016 by MarkoH01
The-Business: New company: "Test" does GOG have something to hide? But given there are also "TEST DEVELOPER", "TEST DEVELOPER 2", "TEST PUBLISHER" and "TEST PUBLISHER 2", it might be something different.
Interesting. Perhaps GOG does have something cool to hide, but we of course must wait and see.
Gersen: Might be a language issue but they definitely sounds very douchy.

Making an always online multiplayer only game is one thing, and there is nothing "wrong" about that (as long as there is a valid reason for calling the game "multiplayer only"), but it's not an excuse for being a total douche about it.
Not a language issue. There is nothing discernibly wrong with their ability to communicate ideas in the language they are discussing them in. What they are doing is engaging in an all out defensive battle with people on the internet that are questioning design choices.

Honestly, they don't owe anyone an explanation, and they should be able to voice their opinion the same as anyone. I wouldn't even be shocked if I behaved the same way if I was in their position, but this sort of thing doesn't seem to ever end well. At this point it's fallen into full on mud slinging. It sucks to say he shouldn't be slinging mud when it's getting tossed his way, but the dev has to try and take the high road and stop talking. That is't happening.

More over, the deterioration of the conversation at each stage looks linked to one dev being overly defensive while marginalizing the concept the complaints are founded on. The whole "Please do not mistake the content for the medium" thing is a bit much given that he seems totally uninterested in providing the "content" in a different "medium" while insinuating that longevity isn't an issue because it could be in a new medium in the future. In this context each "medium" takes work to translate the content into something viable for that platform which, again, is the whole thing he is taking issue with.

He keeps talking about re-building. Ok, yeah, it's too late. Totally hear that. You can make things that can't be turned into other things. That's real thing. The thing I think a lot of us want is for devs to stop making decisions before they build that more or less guarantee a game has a short lifespan. It's their game and their business, but don't expect everyone to like it, or embrace it. And don't complain about getting hit with bullets that should be getting fired at Blizzard after calling people that don't like your choices superstitious. This is the internet. It doesn't let you say shit about shit without getting some shit in return. Just take.

I'm probably investing too much in this here though. Developers mixing it up with the people isn't a new thing.
^^ The famous flood of games most likely. (talking about Tfishell post here :) )

I wonder if the lack of busness dev director ( https://www.gog.com/work#/business-development-business-development-director ), since the departure of Rambourg, isn't creating some delays in the release schedule's. I mean, even if they find someone in the next month, there should be some kind of gap in the releases.
Post edited March 11, 2016 by MacArthur
MacArthur: ^^ The famous flood of games most likely. (talking about Tfishell post here :) )

I wonder if the lack of busness dev director ( https://www.gog.com/work#/business-development-business-development-director ), since the departure of Rambourg, isn't creating some delays in the release schedule's. I mean, even if they find someone in the next month, there should be some kind of gap in the releases.
I'm sure the lack of staff in general is slowing things down, sadly. I mean there are 24 openings currently. I just wish I could find somebody to "complete" the wishlist entries I keep sharing - we need a new community manager! :P
Could people participating in discussion about Gremlins, Inc., create a topic of it's own for it and discuss it there instead of here. Pretty please with sugar on top. I'll even give you imaginary cookie! *puppy eyes*
Post edited March 11, 2016 by Petrell