It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Klumpen0815: That's the feeling I get most of the time when I play the German version of an English/American game and why I usually play both with original audio/text. I still have to look at the English translation of Gothic but I do expect the worst.
omega64: The worst part is when a game is sold without the original audio. Don't remember which game it was, but all audio except german was taken out.
Yeah, like Chains of Satinav, Memoria, Port Royale, Port Royale 2, Patrician 1+2, Patrician 3 and probably some other German games that are only available in English on GoG.
omega64: The worst part is when a game is sold without the original audio. Don't remember which game it was, but all audio except german was taken out.
Klumpen0815: Yeah, like Chains of Satinav, Memoria, Port Royale, Port Royale 2, Patrician 1+2, Patrician 3 and probably some other German games that are only available in English on GoG.
I played Chains, it was a terrible experience with the english voices though. >_<
It's why I've not even consided buying Memoria.
Final Fantasy XIII - i really like the story but the fighting system just gets so excruciating boring outside boss fights and ya basically playing 15 standard fights which are not challenging at to get the next cut scene... dunno only managed 11 hours in it - maybe i'll try to rush through it someday with fights on easy/fast for the story as i also own XIII-2

Max Payne 3, no particular reason for quitting but didn't really captivate me and dunno compared to Max Payne 1-2 i just didn't really care about the Story as it seems they are kinda "overselling" it - played 7 hours so far - may continue it someday i guess but most likely not this year

Borderlands 2 , started playing coop with a friend we both liked it - somehow didn't find more slots to play together due to the really nice summer - end of story - last played 3 months ago -.-
Omerta: City of Gangsters (GOG):
I started this game expecting a turn-based combat game set in the prohibition era. I got that, but unfortunately I also got a resource management game in which I was not interested.
deleted
omega64: Had the same issue with Deponia, it's a lot better when you play it with german audio.
Tannath: That's Daedalic for you. Had the same problem with A New Beginning, and Deponia to a lesser extent. Finished both anyway, but while Deponia pulled through thanks to humour, A New Beginning left a bitter taste. I think ScotchMonkey got it right, everything feels so stiff and unnatural...
I wanted to like it, but alas.

Its hard to beat out Wadjet Eye for adventure games. They are the Gold Standard as far as I'm concerned. No moon logic and fleshed out characters in cool settings.

Its wierd how it took this long to perfect the genre, no?
Fairfox: La-Mulana. I don't care; I feel nothing. I think it's rubbish and hard and cryptic and rubbish. It bores me. Looking up cryptic clues and constantly encountering nonsensical game design bores me; I have no time for it. I have no time for La-Mulana.

I will never play you again.
For a second I thought that was Rick Dangerous.
Post edited August 23, 2015 by ScotchMonkey
deleted
Tannath: That's Daedalic for you. Had the same problem with A New Beginning, and Deponia to a lesser extent. Finished both anyway, but while Deponia pulled through thanks to humour, A New Beginning left a bitter taste. I think ScotchMonkey got it right, everything feels so stiff and unnatural...
ScotchMonkey: I wanted to like it, but alas.

Its hard to beat out Wadjet Eye for adventure games. They are the Gold Standard as far as I'm concerned. No moon logic and fleshed out characters in cool settings.

I think several things have to work together to make a good point and click adventure game. For me a good story and interesting characters are essential, as are fair puzzles. And mood, you have to set a mood for the game and stick with it. Humour, art style and soundtrack usually help with that. And Wadjet Eye consistently gets these right (mostly), while Daedalic usually does some very well but messes up something else... badly. Chains of Satinav is a good example of this. It looks gorgeous and the mood is great. I wanted to love it, but couldn't. The overstretched story and boring/annoying characters kill it. In the sequel, Memoria, Deadalic clearly took notice and produced what I consider a good point and click adventure game, but even then they put in there a maze. Really Daedalic, a maze? That's early 1990s adventure game design, not 2014. That's why Wadjet Eye stands out. I haven't played all of their games yet (despite owning all of them except the latest one), but so far I haven't seen a bad game from them. Unpolished and short, yes, on occasion. But hey, care to compare budget and price tags?
I think Daedalic has yet to produce a game that beats the Blackwell series, Resonance or Gemini Rue, and according to GOG user ratings, I'm not the only one.
Post edited August 24, 2015 by Tannath
A new Beginning: final Cut. Yep, that one is on my quit list as well. Just could not connect to it. I think I played pretty close to all of it. Got to a pretty good spot. One of those "will leave it there for now. Come back and finish it later." moments in the story. Problem is, I .. just never did. I'm the sort of person that can't really play more than one game at a time. This is something I very much have always been. The next time I stat down to play, I ended up starting something else. I should have known right there and then. So it was not exactly a "screw this game, Ima quit" sort of thing, but it was quit all the same. I'm in no rush to play any other Daedelic games as a result. Certainly liked it enough to takes a chance on the others at some point. Just most likely not any times soon.

I hated Resonance. It put me off Wadget eye games. There are some crutches, some writing bones (tropes, cliche, mechanics etc) that only extremely good writers should ever attempt. If you do not use them the right way, at the right time, and for the right reasons, they just come out try hard. Resonance was so terrible at this it surpassed Try Hard. Hell, it even waved at Try Hard 2: Try Harder as it screamed past.
ScotchMonkey: I wanted to like it, but alas.

Tannath: I think Daedalic has yet to produce a game that beats the Blackwell series, Resonance or Gemini Rue, and according to GOG user ratings, I'm not the only one.
Or one where I can relate to the characters. Even beautifull artwork (Truly great artwork) can't save them from poor design choices. I quit both Dark Eye and A New Beginning out of frustration at gameplay and I just hated the characters.

They think some of these design choices makes them quirky and neat but It just makes them obtuse and out of touch.

Only Wadjet games I have not played are "Golden Wake" and "TechnoBayblon".

(I know they just published some games and not dveloped them so credit where it is due)

Primordia was my favorite.
Post edited August 24, 2015 by ScotchMonkey
Tannath: I think Daedalic has yet to produce a game that beats the Blackwell series, Resonance or Gemini Rue, and according to GOG user ratings, I'm not the only one.
ScotchMonkey: Or one where I can relate to the characters. Even beautifull artwork (Truly great artwork) can't save them from poor design choices. I quit both Dark Eye and A New Beginning out of frustration at gameplay and I just hated the characters.

They think some of these design choices makes them quirky and neat but It just makes them obtuse and out of touch.

(I know they just published some games and not dveloped them so credit where it is due)

I haven't played Primordia, Golden Wake and TechnoBayblon. My favourite was Gemini Rue, with the Blackwell titles not far behind. I've heard good things about Primordia. Next time I feel like playing a PnC adventure I'll go with it.

***WARNING: MILD SPOILERS AHEAD***
The Dark Eye games are a mixed bag. Chains is not the worst PnC adventure I've ever played, but it was a huge letdown. Honestly, I don't know which of the main characters is more annoying, Geron or Nuri. And in this case it was not only because of the voice over (which incidently is bland as hell), there's plenty of bad design and storytelling in there. On paper these characters have a lot of potential, but Geron is so annoying that by the end of it I kept hoping he fell of a cliff or something, and Nuri seems to have the mental age of a 5 year old. And at one point you have the option to sleep with her, I mean come on, can Geron be even more of a douchebag? That's a cardinal sin right there, making unlikeable characters. Memoria is quite different. On one hand, Geron shows little improvement, but he does get a new interesting sidekick, and Sadja and her staff really steal the show.
As for A New Beginning... the best thing I can say about it is that I found it marginally better than Chains. At least the puzzles felt much more logical.

I'm not saying Daedalic makes bad games as a rule, just that their games are like a roller-coaster ride: a lot of ups and downs that will either make you fell thrilled or sick; sometimes all at once.
Black Dahlia

An awesome old (and hard) FMV point and click, right up until about 3/4 the way through when i come across a game crashing bug. Tried pretty much everything to get around the problem, but no luck. Usually i can fix these types of problems, but not this time. Finally gave up and watched the last 1/4 of the game on Youtube. So even if i work out a solution to the crashing now, it's too late as i know how it all ends. Was still a good investigative/occult story. It even has Dennis Hopper in it.
Post edited August 24, 2015 by CMOT70
CMOT70: Black Dahlia

An awesome old (and hard) FMV point and click, right up until about 3/4 the way through when i come across a game crashing bug. Tried pretty much everything to get around the problem, but no luck. Usually i can fix these types of problems, but not this time. Finally gave up and watched the last 1/4 of the game on Youtube. So even if i work out a solution to the crashing now, it's too late as i know how it all ends. Was still a good investigative/occult story. It even has Dennis Hopper in it.
That's based on a true story, isn't it?
CMOT70: Black Dahlia

Tannath: That's based on a true story, isn't it?
The Torso Murders were true yes, and never solved. The games occult slant is pure fantasy of course, but contains lots of interesting historical fact as well. Some of the real life "theories" are no better than the games version to be honest, one of those games that tends to cause an interest in the subject and further reading.
Post edited August 24, 2015 by CMOT70
ScotchMonkey: Or one where I can relate to the characters. Even beautifull artwork (Truly great artwork) can't save them from poor design choices. I quit both Dark Eye and A New Beginning out of frustration at gameplay and I just hated the characters.

Tannath: I haven't played Primordia, Golden Wake and TechnoBayblon. My favourite was Gemini Rue, with the Blackwell titles not far behind. I've heard good things about Primordia. Next time I feel like playing a PnC adventure I'll go with it.

***WARNING: MILD SPOILERS AHEAD***
The Dark Eye games are a mixed bag. Chains is not the worst PnC adventure I've ever played, but it was a huge letdown. Honestly, I don't know which of the main characters is more annoying, Geron or Nuri. And in this case it was not only because of the voice over (which incidently is bland as hell), there's plenty of bad design and storytelling in there. On paper these characters have a lot of potential, but Geron is so annoying that by the end of it I kept hoping he fell of a cliff or something, and Nuri seems to have the mental age of a 5 year old. And at one point you have the option to sleep with her, I mean come on, can Geron be even more of a douchebag? That's a cardinal sin right there, making unlikeable characters. Memoria is quite different. On one hand, Geron shows little improvement, but he does get a new interesting sidekick, and Sadja and her staff really steal the show.
As for A New Beginning... the best thing I can say about it is that I found it marginally better than Chains. At least the puzzles felt much more logical.

I'm not saying Daedalic makes bad games as a rule, just that their games are like a roller-coaster ride: a lot of ups and downs that will either make you fell thrilled or sick; sometimes all at once.
I get ya. But after two games that I couldn't stand enough to finish I wouldn't get another from their catalouge even if it were free.

Their art is fantatastic though, just really slick stuff. Its difficult to show so much color in a dark scene forexample but they pull it off wonderfully.

The rest however.......

Well at least it wasn't as bad as SAMARITAN PARADOX.